Why are we mean to noobs?

Jard_Y_Dooku

i've very rarely been mean to anybody in runescape. The only people i'll be mean to, are those who are mean to others.

A good example is when im in the castle wars waiing area, i'll se a level 90 walk up to a 50 and say something along the lines of 'go away noob we dont want you on our team'. That kind of attitude angers me so much, i'll usualyl end up going to the higher level persona and call them the noob and tell them to get out of the team.

I don't get why people are so arrogant to lower levls, i always say the phrase 'we were all that level once'

Haha, yeah...

I made a friend that way, actually. Level 39, new member, was hanging around Castle Wars because she liked it and didn't know the way to there from Lumby, and we were on the same team. Some high level went up to her and said something like 'gtfo noob' and I went up to him and said 'you were her level once. you gtfo.'

Then we hung around the flag and got potshots in and had lots of fun and even attempted a (fail) raid on the Zammy team's flag, in which she died rapidly and I died at the foot of the stairs up to the flag to either a Zammy GS'er or an ancienter or both.

And not all people are mean: I was on one of my 'let's make a newbie and kill cows!' accounts and killing cows with my bronze sword and wooden shield and someone gave me a full set of iron, including a scimmy. :D I thanked them politely and went back to massacring innocent bovine.

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please recognise that some of the high levels are just being 'distant', it's a big difference to mean. Alot of 'em also have public chat on friends/off.

On topic, I'd class myself as a high level I guess.. I'm not particularly mean to 'noobs' I'll give them help if they ask for it, some high levels are stuck up their own arse though, they act like [bleep]s.

2376/2376 total achieved - May 2009

Retired Dec 2009

First impressions mean everything.

At my school's TV studio, my friend once made a documentary about a homeless man who wore a suit. It was about how differently people treat you if you dress the right way. I remember one of his quotes was: "It's all about how people see you. If you dress right and ask for a lighter, they might give you 2 cigarettes too" or something like that. What people see in the first few seconds is extremely important.

Aside from that, we as humans (except the Google Ad Bot, that guy's not human at all) suffer from prejudice and influence. When we deal with 2 or 3 annoying low-levels, they apply that to all of them. When we hear wants about annoying low-levels, we apply that to all of them as well.

Here's something interesting I tried once. I was at a training spot, flesh crawlers, that both high and low levels come to benefit. I met a decent leveled player- level 90 (this is f2p btw). I came in on my level 30 account and asked if he could spare some food. Reply was: "No noob, it's mine". So then I log into my 116 main a few minutes later and ask the same question. Although I still got no food, I did get a much nicer reply: "Sorry man, I need it". Interesting, is it not? Perhaps if you try it, you'll see that you can get similar results.

Last night in Edgeville, I asked the simple question "where can I find evergreen trees?". What response did I get? "Go away noob" followed by "lol". IMHO, a lot of people are mean to others in RS because it's anonymous. Bad day at work? Take it out on noobs with no chance of IRL retaliation! Wanna look/feel tough when IRL you're not? Make a noob look stupid! People in general are nice, but there's always gonna be the IRL losers who want to act tough when they know it will never really get back to them.

PS: I found the evergreen trees \'

People can't distinguish the difference between noobs and low levels now.

The OP was talking about lower levels moreso than noobs who go OMFG GIV ME UR STUFF. Obviously you're going to hate those sorts of people, it's the sort of people who'll scoff becuase 'lol nub lvl 50' that do my head in.

And in Runescape:

Asking question = Noob... apparently.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

People do it in game for the same reasons people bully others in real life - to feel better about themselves.

Someone who sees a thread about, well, someone's first million should congratulate the person, but a lot of people will post mean things, like "haha well I got 10 mil noob" because they want to brag about their achievements.

Or they just get annoyed by the person, but generally that's the fault of the noob.

Amaranth_GTO.png

Last night in Edgeville, I asked the simple question "where can I find evergreen trees?". What response did I get? "Go away noob" followed by "lol". IMHO, a lot of people are mean to others in RS because it's anonymous. Bad day at work? Take it out on noobs with no chance of IRL retaliation! Wanna look/feel tough when IRL you're not? Make a noob look stupid! People in general are nice, but there's always gonna be the IRL losers who want to act tough when they know it will never really get back to them.

PS: I found the evergreen trees \'

Hm I had someone ask me where to find a certain type of tree (Cant remember what - Might been evergreen - Might even been you! =O Possibly =p) Which I couldnt remember the location of. #-o

Just told them sorry I couldnt remember where they were.

I find it annoying when people ask me questions as I rarely actually know the answer. Its tedius saying 'sorry sorry sorry' I dont remember lol. Still I usually reply unless they spam me.

Its quite frequent I get asked things I dont know. I wish people asked me things I did know. Rather than these random things I did years ago. Or some random tree I cant really be bothered to remember its existence of as its xp sucks or whatever =p I kinda knew but I didnt want to say incase I was wrong tbh. Rather act dum if im not 100% sure im right.

-

As for the thread. I mostly am nice to everyone if they deserve it. Its hard to know who is a newb nowadays. Most 100+ combat people seem fairly 'newbish' to me compared to how it used to be. So it matters all the less tbh.

Getting called a noob isnt always a bad thing, I know that when i was new to rs I didnt like getting called a noob but the people calling me a noob is what made me want to lv my stats to where they are now (whitch are pretty high btw) and im glad people called me a noob at lv 30 lol :thumbsup:

Matt_6293.png1I5i.gif11ih.gif4Mv8.gif6XZY.gif<---click these please

Why are we mean to noobs? Your first question probably is "what do you mean, Jard?". Well, I'm sure you've all heard the popular (stupid) saying "everyone higher level than you has no life, and everyone lower than you is a noob".

You forgot the third rule- everyone that is you're level is a wannabe.

oversized.jpg[/bads]

Because they expect us to give them stuff

not all of them.

anyway i try to be nice to the noobs unless they anger me. :shame: because 5k is barley anything to me but to them it can be a awesome gift.

besides i rember when i was to poor to afford addy armour and i lost all my money in diel arena betting 500gp at a time.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

I always try to avoid calling people noobs, infact, other than calling my friends noobs playfully, i haven't called someone noob for a few months now.

And range, i clicked yr egg =D.

your awesome \' \' \'

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

I ussually end up so borred that I will just stand in a bank and help the first people who has a question :? But overall, I make friends depending on how the person is, not what level his character has. In fact, over 1/3 of my friend list is people who aren't even lvl 80, and, apart from some close friends, talking to them is more interesting than talking to most of the high-leveled people on my list.

16185_s.gif

I'm usually not mean to noobs. In fact I used to go around giving new players full steel just because I could. I think people get tired of dealing with them after a while though. Also you find those people who follow you around asking you how to get somewhere and then you say "check your map" or "go west" and they continue to follow you anyways. It just gets annoying after a while.

darkjakx.png

Well, from what I've noticed in-game, GENERALLY, higher levels act more intelligent and are less annoying. You don't usually see a high-level player "telk lik dis" but you do often see noobs talk like that. I also believe that many high-levels bear deep-seated resentment towards noobs for the "noob agenda" that Jagex had for a long, long time. For the longest time, high-levels were lucky to get anything in the way of updates geared towards them, much less anything that was actually USEFUL.

td2sig.jpg

what really annoys me is bought accounts...

genrally high levels are less annoying because of experiance, but Ill find anyone around 10 levels higher than me will just ignore me. "I do dislike when a "high level" will completely ignore you for no reason, just when you're asking a simple quesion or saying hi because you recognise them from tif." This really annoys me I'll be nice and say hello becuase i've seen them before and they will just ignore me....

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Most of the time when people ask for directions to a place I'll just take them there. Most of the time it's not bad. Except for that one guy who wanted me to take him to Ardougne from Varrock...I bought him a tab. :lol:

Link to Forum Games signature.

[hide=TIFer Quotes]

This lack of discussion value..disturbs me.
English is the only language on this forum.

If you use another language, you need to include a traduction

bgok5jn dsgtalg

Oh wow, I hate everything -.-

Death kinda scares me.

your obsession with phallic objects shows quite clearly in your artworks.

Ffs, someone put this in their sig.

[/hide]

I don't judge people on their level but rather their attitude. If someone's talking like an idiot or being rude, they'll probably piss me off and I'll be a jerk to them. But if it's a level 35 asking for something I'm not going to go "no u noob" :?

wl7w9j.png

Mostly cause noons are ignorant and we're too impatient to try and teach and correct them, and they can't take a hint and leave alone and bug us, so we start being mean to them.

It's crap all the way around.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Yup, as has already been mentioned, it all lies in the difference between noobs and (noobs/newbs). I always help newbs when I see they really need help, and heck, if I find they are friendly I might do something more for them. Of course, the first time they ask me for anything, that option is ruled out.

Now, generally the first thing they ask is how to make money... I usually help them through their first few levels in a nice skill, then lead them to the stronghold of security for a few easy k. Because of the few months I've been gone, one of the newbs I helped actually managed to show me something new! Today is the first time I've seen the Stronghold of Player Safety! :lol:

[hide="Current Goals]1. Keep the four newbs I helped yesterday in the game. At least 1... >_>

2. Earn an extra million, probably mining to level 80

3. Start figuring out what magic can be used for other than super-heating and alching! :P[/hide]

Current Kebab collection: only 1200

I do call people noobs, but only if they do something that is obviously nooby (Beg for gold. I still give them a tip on how to make money if they ask me though). Some people just don't know, so if I do, i tell them

Snowball997.png

Ok... Im not that good. But I have an anchor!!!

Me, myself dont call low levels noobs unless they are doing one of 3 things:

1. breaking the rules (like, cursing everywhere)

2. spamming (like @@@@@@@@@@@@)

3. or a lower level calling ME a noob

If anyones a no life, its me. I've played RS for 5 years with an average of 9 hrs a day. Dont pick on them (noobs).

:wall:

Excuses are tools of incompetence that builds monuments of nothingness. Those who specialize in excuses never accomplish anything.
If the world does end on December 21, 2012, I want to be doing hot stuff with Megan Fox and/or playing Runescape :D