Why are we mean to noobs?

Jard_Y_Dooku

Why are we mean to noobs? Your first question probably is "what do you mean, Jard?". Well, I'm sure you've all heard the popular (stupid) saying "everyone higher level than you has no life, and everyone lower than you is a noob". The first part is obviously just plain stupidity and jealously, but I'd like to talk about the second part.

Now, first of all I'd like to say that I'm level 136 combat with around 2050 total levels, so I certainly am in the place to talk about this.

Higher levels do not make you a better person, they do not make you 'elite' as far as your position in society goes, but why do we treat this as such? 'Noobs' or 'newbs' are looked down upon in the MMO culture, but I seriously can't understand why we (not me) are mean to them? Every single one of us was a 'noob' at one point, and we should be helping them rather than being rude to them, demeaning them, laughing at them and telling them how we're better than they are and they are horrible.

Take this for example. Posts like this frustrate me:

Subject: I made my first milliion gold!

Thats all cool and stuff but no one here is gonna be nice to you. Some are gonna post their cast of 10 to 100ms in like 10minutes. So you should look away before discouraged.

Well, not me. If the topic wasn't locked, this was my intended message:

Congratulations! Spend it wisely (that means no discontinued items). ;)

PS - Just a heads-up, this should go in the Rate This! forum

People need to be nicer. Just because 1 million coins might not be that big of a deal to you or me, it is to the OP, so let him enjoy it and congratulate him. We were all there once and he's obviously progressing in the game, so encourage him to continue that rather than the opposite.

I think rudeness is less prevalent in Tip.It than on the RSOF and such, but I'm mostly talking about it in the game and baalby5's post was just an example. I have plenty of low level players on my friends list. They are people just like you and I. Just because they don't have as much experience in the game YET doesn't mean we should treat them like rotten cabbage. It's much better to give someone a kind word and encouragement, and maybe a few tips, than to be mean to them.

A lot of players seem to choose their friends by their levels, but my fingers go no to my mouse to check their combat level, but to the keyboard to see if they are an intelligent, friendly person who I can have a conversation with. If they're a low level and hav typen habets liek dis n talk n 1337sp34k n st00f then I'd rather not talk to them - but the same would go for a level 138 acting in that way.

I'll end with this: be nice to newbs! Discuss...

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's why I prefer IRC/ other chat's to runescape, because you don't go up to someone and go.. "oh.. 32 combat, i'm not associating with you" you listen to them.

But even on tip.it I think that we do that a little to people with low postcount.

FRONTPAGE.png

{DeviantART}{Last.Fm}{Join Sublime GFX, great community for artists!}

Back to RuneScape, Again.Avatar by Brian The Great

I don't think asking questions warrants ridicule, because simply asking questions seems to be what 'noobs' mostly do.

Yes, there are beggars, yes there are spammers, but they are the minority and are not necessarily low level. I've seen plenty of idiots of all levels going "@@@@@@@@@" in the Soul Wars waiting rooms and know a PARTICULAR level 128 player who often begs me and another particular level 136 to borrow our godswords. He shall be known only as "C". ;)

I don't think asking questions warrants ridicule, because simply asking questions seems to be what 'noobs' mostly do.

Yes, there are beggars, yes there are spammers, but they are the minority and are not necessarily low level. I've seen plenty of idiots of all levels going "@@@@@@@@@" in the Soul Wars waiting rooms and know a PARTICULAR level 128 player who often begs me and another particular level 136 to borrow our godswords. He shall be known only as "C". ;)

Godsword noobs are the worst one from my view. I stand at edge bank, and someone says "Sir" and i am thinking "This guy must have something good to say.." and then person asks:

GOT A GS?!

Godsword noobs are the worst one from my view. I stand at edge bank, and someone says "Sir" and i am thinking "This guy must have something good to say.." and then person asks:

GOT A GS?!

I was mostly speaking in jest because that PARTICULAR LEVEL 128 is one of my close friends. However I agree that players randomly asking to borrow godswords from people they don't even know (unless they're renting, e.g. for payment) is unethical. I have no objections to asking strangers for small items when on quests, however. I've frequently asked and been asked for things like hammers, pickaxes, etc., when questing with other players.

But we're getting a little off topic, I am mainly asking why we're mean to noobs without provocation, not to those who deserve it, which encompasses all levels.

GOT A GS?!

I was mostly speaking in jest because that PARTICULAR LEVEL 128 is one of my close friends. However I agree that players randomly asking to borrow godswords from people they don't even know (unless they're renting, e.g. for payment) is unethical. I have no objections to asking strangers for small items when on quests, however. I've frequently asked and been asked for things like hammers, pickaxes, etc., when questing with other players.

But we're getting a little off topic, I am mainly asking why we're mean to noobs without provocation, not to those who deserve it, which encompasses all levels.

All you should know:

If someone behaves well towards me and my surroundings, they will be met with same behavior. So it's really not high levels fault.

If someone behaves well towards me and my surroundings, they will be met with same behavior. So it's really not high levels fault.
If someone starts blasting me for no reason, I take the same stance towards him. Otherwise I'm a fairly nice person

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

If someone starts blasting me for no reason, I take the same stance towards him. Otherwise I'm a fairly nice person

Exactly..

Last person who asked me for godswords said "Your high level, you must have a godsword!" and thought i was lieing...

There is a reason high levels don't help low levels, because if they were to help them out they would be doing it all the time.

Low levels nowdays expect high levels to carry them in their backpack to be honest. Only few are smart. But i do help low levels, whenever i can and depending on my mood.

Sometimes i might be a bit stressed but when i am not, if the person who's asking for my help NEEDS my help i will help out.

But i don't baby sit them.

I Agree I Am On What I Like To Call The Lower Side Of Levels But It Really Annoys Me When Some High Level Starts Ragging On Me For My Combat Level And They Say There Better Then Me In Every Sense So Come On Guys You Dont Even Know Who I Am But Your Better Then Me?

Spartanat3.png

sig.png

I Agree I Am On What I Like To Call The Lower Side Of Levels But It Really Annoys Me When Some High Level Starts Ragging On Me For My Combat Level And They Say There Better Then Me In Every Sense So Come On Guys You Dont Even Know Who I Am But Your Better Then Me?

Those are not high levels. They are "Noobs".

Real high levels are the ones that help out and is awesome. Like me for example hehe :lol:

But seriously, a high level should behave well and try to help out whenever he/she can.

Real high levels are the ones that help out and is awesome. Like me for example hehe :lol:

But seriously, a high level should behave well and try to help out whenever he/she can.

Yea I Agree Ive Met Heaps Of High Levels That Rag On Me But Then Theres The Ones That Are Nice And Just Help Out

and just wanna say gl on 99 summ hemen

Spartanat3.png

sig.png

Yea I Agree Ive Met Heaps Of High Levels That Rag On Me But Then Theres The Ones That Are Nice And Just Help Out

and just wanna say gl on 99 summ hemen

Thanks m8, but really you need to consider it well before you think a high level is bad. Alot players play Runescape to get their attention off the stress in real life.

So they tend to turn off public/private chat so when you try to talk to them for example you won't get a response. Some are idiots who have no morals.

I myself, am a high level who are nice to nice people but if i am in bad mood i can snap sometimes. But i do apologi later if i can.

P. S you can come to my 99 summoning if you want (The emote is nice!) <3: Link of event is in signature

The only low levels that bug me, are the ones who expect me to take a good bit of time away from my current activity to help them, especially when I'm doing something on a timer. Like one time when I was training Summoning, I had someone keep asking me for a knife and axe. He probably could have banked and gotten those items in the time he spent waiting around and talking to me. Oh, and the rare few that ask for free stuff via a way around the trade limit. I'm actually one of the nicer 138s in game, like sometimes when someone sees me in my Red Phat/Slayer cape outfit and asks to borrow my Phat, I lend them my White Hat for a little while.

Low levels nowdays expect high levels to carry them in their backpack to be honest.

Lol, can you imagine an Iron/Steel Titan and a level 50 player helping you on a Slayer task :lol:?

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

The only low levels that bug me, are the ones who expect me to take a good bit of time away from my current activity to help them, especially when I'm doing something on a timer. Like one time when I was training Summoning, I had someone keep asking me for a knife and axe. He probably could have banked and gotten those items in the time he spent waiting around and talking to me. Oh, and the rare few that ask for free stuff via a way around the trade limit. I'm actually one of the nicer 138s in game, like sometimes when someone sees me in my Red Phat/Slayer cape outfit and asks to borrow my Phat, I lend them my White Hat for a little while.

Low levels nowdays expect high levels to carry them in their backpack to be honest.

Lol, can you imagine an Iron/Steel Titan and a level 50 player helping you on a Slayer task :lol:?

Hehe lol, first we need to go to Australia and transform into a Kenguru....

Then we can carry them and do slayer tasks :lol:

EDIT: "Got any GS?" - 1st GS today

gs.jpg

Hehe lol, first we need to go to Australia and transform into a Kenguru....

Then we can carry them and do slayer tasks :lol:

EDIT: "Got any GS?" - 1st GS today

gs.jpg

Code:14646: ALL GS NOOBS SHALL BE DESTROYED.///99

Code:1: BANHAMMER.// :twisted:

I tend to help them as much as possible, but when they start begging for money and after I have said no a few times and they keep begging and then start following you everywhere, I just start ignoring them, but everyone else that just asks for help or something I will try my best :mrgreen:

It's tough at the top ;)

Aparently i'm "mean and sad" for politely saying no to a noob yesterday who asked me to lootshare with him when I was charm collecting. *sigh*

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Fact 1 Lots of low level players are annoying enough that any ridicule they get - they were pretty much asking for it.

Fact 2 Lots of low levels aren't annoying. Many of these less annoying people are less noticeable than the annoying ones. (being annoying gets you noticed)

Fact 3 Lots of high levels get bad experiences with some low level players and then develop a prejudice against all low level players. They then end up being rude to all sorts of people just because they are low level

Fact 4 Lots of high levels are intelligent enough to distinguish between nice low levels and annoying low levels

Opinion 1 There's actually more low levels who aren't annoying than are annoying.

Opinion 2 Those high levels who can't smart enough to distinguish between the two types of low levels actually make the ratio of intelligent low levels worse.

I've seen comments all over the internet from good intelligent adult gamers who get driven away from Runescape in the early stages because people are rude to them because they are new. This makes them think rather too quickly that the game community is too nasty and immature. (before they find the bits of community which aren't actually that way)

Fact 5 I will continue to speak about against the sorts of players who think it's ok to be rude to low levels for no reason except that they are low levels.

most of the time the 'noobs' deserve it, for there sheer stupidity and immaturity

me and my girlfriend play for fun and our friends, not to be bugged every minute in pm/public by level 3's trying to do Shilo village quest and asking for help to 'fight' the bosses (when he has iron armour and flowers equipped) :wall: this really happened last night, i saw it on my gf's screen btw

or getting bugged to lend godswords/drag full helms or asked how long does x amount of fish/logs take to collect

the best part is, after you say you can't genuinely help (losing bone key to Shilo dungeon/forgetting logs per hour rate at 60 wc etc.) they start insulting you :|

this is why noobs are always considered flame bait and are treated badly

rant over...

don't get me wrong I will offer advice/help to any levels that ask nicely, and if I can't genuinely help, I'll point them to a person/place that can

You only live twice. Once when you are born and once when you look death in the face.

Do not fear Death. Death is always at our side. When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light. But, if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity...

if its a low level in need of help but i can clearly see that they have some simple logic behind that avatar ill help, like a level 85 the other day looking for the graveyard for the gem near canafis for DT. I felt like showing him and i was just banking inbetween a task of abberant specters.

He asked nicely and i remember it being difficult all alone, so i showed him and watched and would bless his grave if he died.

It was his ability to speak to me properly and not short term crap like "got gs" and the fact that he was trying DT alone showed, i wasnt wasting my time having to explain a million differnt obvious and simple things to him.

Now we are good freinds, "High level" people > high/low levels players.

69er_is_best.png

GWD solo drops: Armadyl Hilt sold at 63.5m - (More to come hopefully)

Just my personal opinion, but I thiink there is a difference between "noobs" and"newbs". Newbs, as their name implies, are new to the game, and therefore don't really know how to play. They can be annoying sometimes when they ask for help constantly: "can u bring me 2 varock? weres drynor? i ned flour 4 quest plz"

But all in all they're pretty harmless.

But noobs... seeing how their name is spelled (oh so similar to boobs), you can guess what the main problem is with these guys. They are incessant beggars, whiners, complainers, annoyances, hindrances, and generally mess up the game. Noobs are basically anyone who is rude to another or does not stop bugging another person after being asked to stop (this is a fairly vague and general definition).

Newbs by definition are low level players. Noobs are any level players.

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

Message me, private chat is always on. :)

People need to be nicer. Just because 1 million coins might not be that big of a deal to you or me, it is to the OP, so let him enjoy it and congratulate him. We were all there once and he's obviously progressing in the game, so encourage him to continue that rather than the opposite.

Its not just about high levels, or low levels. Its all about how they present themselves.

You have to look past what a person is doing, and at the reason why they are doing it. For example: The OP in that post simply posted that he was excited to getting his first million. That's a good achievement and I wouldn't have a problem, except he/she placed it specifically in the General Discussion forum so that more people would see it. Basically they wanted attention for getting something, instead of placing it where it belonged.

If someone had posted how they made their first Billion, I would of felt the same way as I do about someone making a post about their first million.

By human nature, people are competitive. If you post an achievement, you have to expect another person out there to post how they achieved better. Its just human nature to want to be better than someone else.

Could people go about it a little nicer? Maybe, but posting something like that in an area just so more people could see is just asking for trouble.

dawnsigblue-3.png

Problem with the word noob is that it's meaning is ambigious.

To some people it means new player, to some people it means annoying person.

I try not to use it around people I don't know, as I can't tell how it's going to be interpreted.