Why are we mean to noobs?

Jard_Y_Dooku

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what really annoys me is bought accounts...

genrally high levels are less annoying because of experiance, but Ill find anyone around 10 levels higher than me will just ignore me. "I do dislike when a "high level" will completely ignore you for no reason, just when you're asking a simple quesion or saying hi because you recognise them from tif." This really annoys me I'll be nice and say hello becuase i've seen them before and they will just ignore me....

same i once asked a lvl 126 ( when it was the max) what her weapon was and she just said gtfo noob.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

I am a high level'd player as well at 133 Combat and 2150 Skill Total. There are two definitions of "noob and newb" in my book.

Newb = A player noticeably new to the game that is of low level and doesn't know much about the game.

Noob = Moron immature brat who annoys the **** out of people and is a jerk.

I help the Newbs when I see someone looking for help if I have the time and the question is something I can answer off the top of my head.

As for Noobs I don't help these kind of people and ignore them 100% of the time. The minute I notice someone is a jerk I don't hesitate to add their name to my ignore list.

xxteargodxx.png

Me, myself dont call low levels noobs unless they are doing one of 3 things:

1. breaking the rules (like, cursing everywhere)

2. spamming (like @@@@@@@@@@@@)

3. or a lower level calling ME a noob

If anyones a no life, its me. I've played RS for 5 years with an average of 9 hrs a day. Dont pick on them (noobs).

:wall:

That's what I follow as well, except I also call my friends noobs sometimes as a joke. You know what I mean.

And 9 hours a day? Wow.

Why are we mean to noobs? Your first question probably is "what do you mean, Jard?". Well, I'm sure you've all heard the popular (stupid) saying "everyone higher level than you has no life, and everyone lower than you is a noob". The first part is obviously just plain stupidity and jealously, but I'd like to talk about the second part.

Now, first of all I'd like to say that I'm level 136 combat with around 2050 total levels, so I certainly am in the place to talk about this.

Higher levels do not make you a better person, they do not make you 'elite' as far as your position in society goes, but why do we treat this as such? 'Noobs' or 'newbs' are looked down upon in the MMO culture, but I seriously can't understand why we (not me) are mean to them? Every single one of us was a 'noob' at one point, and we should be helping them rather than being rude to them, demeaning them, laughing at them and telling them how we're better than they are and they are horrible.

Take this for example. Posts like this frustrate me:

Subject: I made my first milliion gold!

Thats all cool and stuff but no one here is gonna be nice to you. Some are gonna post their cast of 10 to 100ms in like 10minutes. So you should look away before discouraged.

Well, not me. If the topic wasn't locked, this was my intended message:

Congratulations! Spend it wisely (that means no discontinued items). ;)

PS - Just a heads-up, this should go in the Rate This! forum

People need to be nicer. Just because 1 million coins might not be that big of a deal to you or me, it is to the OP, so let him enjoy it and congratulate him. We were all there once and he's obviously progressing in the game, so encourage him to continue that rather than the opposite.

I think rudeness is less prevalent in Tip.It than on the RSOF and such, but I'm mostly talking about it in the game and baalby5's post was just an example. I have plenty of low level players on my friends list. They are people just like you and I. Just because they don't have as much experience in the game YET doesn't mean we should treat them like rotten cabbage. It's much better to give someone a kind word and encouragement, and maybe a few tips, than to be mean to them.

A lot of players seem to choose their friends by their levels, but my fingers go no to my mouse to check their combat level, but to the keyboard to see if they are an intelligent, friendly person who I can have a conversation with. If they're a low level and hav typen habets liek dis n talk n 1337sp34k n st00f then I'd rather not talk to them - but the same would go for a level 138 acting in that way.

I'll end with this: be nice to newbs! Discuss...

edited

35hedkh.jpg

To be honest... i haven't called any lower lvl person that's a lower lvl to me a noob in public for a while... ;) but... i do often call my friends a noob for being mean lol.... :lol:

"It's better to let people assume that you're an idiot than to open your mouth and prove it beyond all doubt"

~Mark Twain

Purex213.png

Click to view my blogeh and leave a message over there while your at it :twss:

Help me find a good world to sell things on runescape! :twss:

i try not to be mean to you jard. lol.

you even put your hatred for rares in here, rares give some people a reason to go forward, theres no point in them anymore though with spirit shields 3rd age gs' etc.

Bbc_3.gif

4000000657th to 99 cookin

555555406th to 99 flethcin

If someone behaves well towards me and my surroundings, they will be met with same behavior. So it's really not high levels fault.
If someone starts blasting me for no reason, I take the same stance towards him. Otherwise I'm a fairly nice person

Exactly..

exactly indeed, and but for me its ether, be nice to then, go away, or ignor list. hopefully the first...

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

There's a strong difference between a noob and a newb. A newb is what the original poster is referring to: somebody who is new to the game and therefore sounds silly when making a big deal about things we consider trivial. But the fact is that every level is a big level, every million GP earned is a big deal. There is nothing to make fun of when a person progresses through the game.

A noob, however, could just as easily by a lvl 10 as it could be a lvl 138. This is a person who makes stupid decisions blindly, and who just says or does ignorant things in general. This kind of noob does deserves at the most ridicule and at the least guidance.

rawr.png

Truthscape Lover

I have a little story for you guys. True story even.

I was training range quietly to myself when along comes a higher level and asks me what my range level is. I said about 40 or whatever it was at the time. He laughed and called me a noob. I told him I was training it (at the very moment even) and when I said 'Woot!' when I leveled, he laughed and called me a noob again.

THIS is the thing the op is talking about. Nothing to do with people being offensive nobody expects you to be nice to them. It's when someone achieves something and you put it down because you've already done it.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Well, just to correct you on one thing. Newb is someone who is a new person. A noob is someone who has been playing but is ignorant.

That's how I see it.

But back on topic. We are mean because we are human. Why do seniors bully freshmen? Because they are the new people. They are naturally scared and even though the seniors were there before, they bully, and the freshmen will probably bully when they are seniors. It's just natural.

lolbx7.png

Main: Snw rifleman - FINISHED DESERT TRESURE 11/5/08 WOO

Just your typical asian who likes to play games =)

I have a little story for you guys. True story even.

I was training range quietly to myself when along comes a higher level and asks me what my range level is. I said about 40 or whatever it was at the time. He laughed and called me a noob. I told him I was training it (at the very moment even) and when I said 'Woot!' when I leveled, he laughed and called me a noob again.

THIS is the thing the op is talking about. Nothing to do with people being offensive nobody expects you to be nice to them. It's when someone achieves something and you put it down because you've already done it.

Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about!

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

Personally i always try to be nice to other players, no matter their combat level/items/grammar/etc. I don't mind to give up a big part of my playing time to help a lower level friend as long as he is respectfull and actually tries to do things himself when i guide him around instead of begging me to kill a monster for him or get an item for him just because i'm a higher level. In fact, the word "noob" has been out of my RuneScape playing vocabulary for quite a while now.

However, not everyone is like this. I think it has a lot to do with the player's maturity. I remember when i was 12-13 i used to put other players down myself to make me feel better. Luckily i changed a lot since then. :P

It depends on my mood mostly :)

For Eg: What I call a noob If a person (low level) asks me why dont you have a GS, I tell them no (cuz im honest :)) and their like wow your poor, then I show my cash.. They are like LMFAO, sad im wayy richer and logs out..

calzer101.png

Thanks mods I lost all my record of my 99's GF

because they're mean to us -.- :evil:

Excuses are tools of incompetence that builds monuments of nothingness. Those who specialize in excuses never accomplish anything.
If the world does end on December 21, 2012, I want to be doing hot stuff with Megan Fox and/or playing Runescape :D

Because noobs are mean to us. No I am not joking. No I do not want to elaborate on that. Yes that is my final answer.

MR. OCTOPUS BEARD DISAGREES!

30259it.jpgNo, THAT's what she said.

Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy? Read below.

Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy? Read above.

[hide=OMG DRAGON KITESHIELD IN-GAME!!!!]rickrollad5.png

Never gonna give you up...[/hide]

I cant use a chair, evidence that Lucien's men are sitting on them.

i,personally am not mean to noobs. I am even a semi-noob i think (lvl 92).

I actually aim for noob friends because they are always nicer and generally care more (lol?).

For example, me and my friend, King12452 (he is also my cousin,we were talking). We are about the same level.

I was all excitied so i said

To King1252: W00000t 75 attack!!!

From King12452:IDC.

Then our long conversation we were having just ended. Today i was training with a random level 55 guy.

Scary Guy444:W00000t 74 defense!!!

Lvl 55: Nice!!

Lvl 55: I have 45 defense

Scary Guy444: kool

Lvl 55:Can i plz have a rune skimmy?

Scary Guy444: Lemee Look

Scary Guy444: Sorry I dont have 1.

Lvl 55: ok that is fine.

Lvl 55: i can hit 12's with a rune skimmy.

Scary Guy444: Nice

Do you see the difference....?

In end i would like to say::

N00bs ftw!!!

Scary_Guy444.png

Scary%20Guy444.png

There's the question of why...

then there's the question of why not.

If you talk crap to someone in real life your most likely going to get the stuffing knocked out of you or your going to get into trouble with some sort of authority.

In a game, the same laws don't apply. Sometimes a mod might take a small amount of action, but you're practically in the clear.

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

If you talk crap to someone in real life your most likely going to get the stuffing knocked out of you or your going to get into trouble with some sort of authority.

In a game, the same laws don't apply. Sometimes a mod might take a small amount of action, but you're practically in the clear.

:^o :arrow: i am so strong that no-1 could knock the stuffing out of me!

Scary_Guy444.png

Scary%20Guy444.png

:^o :arrow: i am so strong that no-1 could knock the stuffing out of me!

can i try and see if i can? :lol:

Excuses are tools of incompetence that builds monuments of nothingness. Those who specialize in excuses never accomplish anything.
If the world does end on December 21, 2012, I want to be doing hot stuff with Megan Fox and/or playing Runescape :D

Maybe you should edit your title to "newbs" not noobs. As someone already pointed out earlier, there is a very large difference between a "newb"(which is what you're supposingly talking about) and a "noob".

The RSOF community is probably more rude and immature because they can see your account's stats and laugh about them if their stats are higher and call you a no-life if your stats are higher. In tip.it, you can hide your stats by using a fake name so people will respect you if you give sensible and appropriate comments regardless of your stats (which they don't know about anyway)

Help NEWBS, Ignore NOOBS.

Generally, I'll help new people out if they are asking about something or I see them doing something wrong.

I ignore noobs or give short, non-interested replies if they bother me, hoping they go away.

If they don't go away, I log out for a little while (always good to take breaks), if I come back and they still bother me, Ignore list.

Yeppers.png

Art in my avatar was drawn for me by the love of my life. <3

im actually not mean to noobs unless they start it and start asking to be insulted... this is the same as cyber bullying even though you might not think this. Why do people bully? To put down others which raise their self esteem. that is pretty much it. oh and because its fun!