26th March 2009 - Development Diary

Master_Smither

Honestly, I don't see how people could not be disappointed with this. We wanted to know what was in development now, not what's knocking around in some guys head(I really do not like mod John by the way, at least as far as his ability to tie up loose ends in a quest line goes. I think he would be a great quest writer for middle are quests, just not beginnings or ends.)

Anyway, this is the equivalent of this:

Hey guys! I'm Mod [bleep]nugget. I just wanted to let you in on what we're up to. I've been charged with making the next minigame! I've recently played through every minigame and seen a lot that I liked, and I'll be including elements from some of them in the new game. For instance;

* Some games focus on good teamwork, so I think it would be a good idea to have more of that.

* Other games are all about fighting, so we should definitely involve fighting!

* There's also skills! Who doesn't love skilling? We should definitely involve that!

* But how could I possibly leave out beer swilling, or running in circles, OR CLOWNS!!!! YES MORE CLOWNS!!!!!!

The game will be called "AMAZING SUPRISE CLOWN BUTT RAPE WITH A MAGICAL GARDEN RAKE OF DOOOOOOOOOOM"

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hope you guys like it, I'm going to go start thinking about it so that later I can actually start designing it ok? I'll tell you more later :3

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

of course it could be that they're just trying to catch us off guard with a huge amazing update later this week

Edit: oops meant to edit not reply

also though this wouldn't be bad if they made it multi-sectioned and had a developer chiming in from each for instance

Quests

minigames

graphical and sound

etc

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

of course it could be that they're just trying to catch us off guard with a huge amazing update later this week

FINALLY someone who thinks on the same wavelink they are WORKING on NEARLY alot of BIG updates Eastern Lands, Mobilising Armies, THE REAL 150th Quest, hinting towards Weather or/and Time (Daytime etc.), and THE NEW Bounty Hunter the list goes on.

It is about content in development, The development doesen't start when they transfer ideas onto the systems, it starts with designing aswell, the ideas for all the content in runescape doesen't just magically appear, it's nice to see an insight into how a quest series starts off its design phase.

True, but I'd like to see it incorporated in some sort of story/diary that actually has something interesting to say. I mean, sure.. a developer can lay down his ideas.. but this is nothing more than a couple of brainfarts. Vague ideas about what the quest could be. I mean.. that's what I've had come up with if I were interested in guessing a plot in a next dwarven quest.

The idea is not bad.. the actual product is.

I think people are getting ahead of the boat here.

Jagex are not putting these dairies here just for us. They are putting them here for them too. I believe they are using feedback from the diaries while things are very very early in development to help shape the updates. Its helpful for them to get feedback about ideas when the development process hasn't started yet so changes can be made on paper, instead of scrapping 5 days of coding because it wasn't that good an idea as intended.

Like any blog, its going to start out small, and gradually grow with more content and more specifics as it progresses.

Someone making a smithing blog is probably not going to have 2 pages of in debth content to talk about at level 1 smithing. The same is true for Jagex. This is our first page about a beginning concept. Give it some time to develop.

3 months from now, we will have several diaries at once with little and large content for each one depending on their development stages. Right now it seams really bare, but in the future it wont be. Give it a chance.

dawnsigblue-3.png

Ok I have another thought.

This quest is just starting to be worked on and we know that the real quest 150 is still in deveopment meaning it has already been started. Also we know it's either rated as grandmaster or special. Meaning that they are currently working on a quest that could be MEP3 or the WGS sequel that was supposed to be quest 150.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I'm disappointed in the actual content of this, but I'm glad they're picking the Dwarf storyline up again. Contrary to what was said above, the only places I think John was work are in the beginning and end, not middle. Goblin seemed to slag a little in the middle. Anyways, any DD is better than no DD

Join Future Update News! The longest running update speculation thread on the RSOF, currently on its 24 Edition

QFC 16-17-671-59680498

314v28z.jpg

Thanks to Killerwat for the sig!

I'm disappointed in the actual content of this, but I'm glad they're picking the Dwarf storyline up again. Contrary to what was said above, the only places I think John was work are in the beginning and end, not middle. Goblin seemed to slag a little in the middle. Anyways, any DD is better than no DD

What I meant by john being better at middle quests is that in middle quests you don't really expect all the lingering questions to be answered. In a beginning you expect initial questions to be posed, and in end quests you expect them to be answered.

The Chosen Commander was not a series ender, it didn't answer any questions at all. Sure it was fun and we kicked bando's [wagon] and daved dorgesh kaan and all that, but i mean, there was no explanation really. In a series ending quest you expect those questions to be answered.

[hide]

[/hide]

I was right about the new format of Development Diaries. Look at my post history. I said exactly how they'd probably turn out and I was right. They're just blogs. Although I was hoping the first "Development Blog" they released would have a print screen in it, but oh well.. I guess we'll have to wait until further into the development.

What the hell is with people insisting that Runescape is the only game that ever wanted to let people know what updates are coming?

WoW has a public test realm where you PLAY they updates before they come out, and as they are still working on them...far beyond simply telling you about the updates.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

What the hell is with people insisting that Runescape is the only game that ever wanted to let people know what updates are coming?

WoW has a public test realm where you PLAY they updates before they come out, and as they are still working on them...far beyond simply telling you about the updates.

How many times does it have to be said? WoW isn't like RuneScape, or vice-versa. Neither company has the same ideology to developing updates, and neither company's approach is "the right" approach.

Moving on...

While it was a bit of a short DD, it was informative. They're looking at finishing the Red Axe series soon, which should be quite pleasing and interesting. It's going to take a while before it's finished, so there's a shot that this quest appears sometime in September (rough estimate).

I'm glad that this format of DD reflects what's really going on in the mind of a developer as they do their thing. It's not the 90%-finished version of the DD we got with Summoning (which was simply hyping up the skill, let's be honest), but it's an earnest look at how the process is starting. I'm looking forward to more of these.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Its called beta testing there LAZY.

yeh normally a company would hire and pay testers for that. Instead you pay them to play their game, and they use you to keep from having to pay testers. sneaky sneaky sneaky

[hide]

[/hide]

yeh normally a company would hire and pay testers for that. Instead you pay them to play their game, and they use you to keep from having to pay testers. sneaky sneaky sneaky

I'm guessing a lot of people would love to beta test for Jagex. Why do it the expensive way when you can just let players play a beta version and let them find the bugs?

Allthough there are a few disadvantages... you can't keep updates secret, and.. players aren't trained to spot bugs. They'll probably just.. play and encounter an occasional bug. But, since Jagex has to update a lot of their new content to fix newly found bugs, that won't be a problem.. lol.

True, average players aren't trained bug spotters, but then again, Jagex hasn't been exactly brilliant in finding the bugs that you can only find after tossing a thousand monkeys at it. We're going with quantity here, not quality.

In the meanwhile, I'd like to comment on the diary with this lame joke:

Slapstick dwarf drunken comedic routines and serious moments with characters that you are pretending to empathize with coupled with amnesia? Sign me up!

With any luck, the amnesia will make us forget about this.

Alternate joke:

Slapstick dwarf drunken comedic routines and serious moments with characters that you are pretending to empathize with coupled with amnesia? Sounds like a Final Fantasy game!

Srsly, they should probably have one of these written up every week or so if they'll make em this short. That way, we can yell at him whenever we think he's doing something wrong. Or y'know, whenever really.

8f14270694.jpg

THE REAL 150th

The Chosen Commander was a bigger landmark then Rfd and Legends.

Why? It "ended" a storyline, something completely new!

So unless the "programmed" quest also finishes a storyline, wich i find doubtfull (mahjarrat seems too early and elven will have at least 2 more quests), TCC IS the best 150th ever: awesome plot, nice rewards (throne room and zanik crossbow) and ending a storyline. Can't ask for more.

Also:

[hide=PBPProductions]there was no explanation really[/hide]

Please tell us what was left unclear. Apart from Zanik's entry in our world again, wich was very sudden, i can't see any major problem.

This Development Diary is the last straw. I quit Runescape. I've been waiting on my toes this entire year for something... anything... one little glimmer of hope for the future of this beloved game. I asked for information, I asked for a BTS, I asked for a Jagex Periodical to keep me updated on what's going on. What do I get? A little blog by some nobody moderator. I want a refund, I want the wilderness, I want free trading, I want sailing, and I WANT A HINT AS TO WHAT'S GOING ON WITH RUNESCAPE!

LOL KIDDING.

I'm happy with the development diary. I'm not stupid enough to believe that this is the only one we're getting for another six months. They delivered EXACTLY what they said they would. It was a blog, less formal, and by one of the developers. They told us that they would only release DDs when the developers had something to say... and one did. I'll be waiting patiently for the next one.

Until then, I have to go work on getting 99 in every skill, completing every minigame, soloing every boss, collecting every rare, and getting a spirit shield set. Why? BECAUSE I DON'T PLAY RUNESCAPE FOR THE WEEKLY UPDATES. Jesus [bleep]ing Christ. Unless you're in the top 1,000 players, you have absolutely no right to complain.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I belive the idea is to bombard us with a whole bunch of BTS's on stuff as it happens, rather than wait for content to be almost done and release a hunge article that over half the RS population can't be bothered to read. Being short means we more of them, more often. It also means that at least some of the people interested in them won't be turned off by what looks like alot of reading. Also, they have not stated that this is the only quest story line they are finishing. They specificaly stated that only select content woudl be followed. I would seriously be supprised is MEpt3 was not a supprise. I don't mean that we can expect it soon, since I honestly have no clue, but I don't think it will be followed.

I am glad to see they play through previous quests first. Everyone forgets stuff, and playing through a quest is going to be different from reading its transcript. While I too feel its short, I am hopeing they will release these alot rather than a huge one every month or so.

This Development Diary is the last straw. I quit Runescape. I've been waiting on my toes this entire year for something... anything... one little glimmer of hope for the future of this beloved game. I asked for information, I asked for a BTS, I asked for a Jagex Periodical to keep me updated on what's going on. What do I get? A little blog by some nobody moderator. I want a refund, I want the wilderness, I want free trading, I want sailing, and I WANT A HINT AS TO WHAT'S GOING ON WITH RUNESCAPE!

LOL KIDDING.

I'm happy with the development diary. I'm not stupid enough to believe that this is the only one we're getting for another six months. They delivered EXACTLY what they said they would. It was a blog, less formal, and by one of the developers. They told us that they would only release DDs when the developers had something to say... and one did. I'll be waiting patiently for the next one.

Until then, I have to go work on getting 99 in every skill, completing every minigame, soloing every boss, collecting every rare, and getting a spirit shield set. Why? BECAUSE I DON'T PLAY RUNESCAPE FOR THE WEEKLY UPDATES. Jesus [bleep] Christ. Unless you're in the top 1,000 players, you have absolutely no right to complain.

Good riddance. :lol:

THE REAL 150th

The Chosen Commander was a bigger landmark then Rfd and Legends.

Why? It "ended" a storyline, something completely new!

So unless the "programmed" quest also finishes a storyline, wich i find doubtfull (mahjarrat seems too early and elven will have at least 2 more quests), TCC IS the best 150th ever: awesome plot, nice rewards (throne room and zanik crossbow) and ending a storyline. Can't ask for more.

Also:

[hide=PBPProductions]there was no explanation really[/hide]

Please tell us what was left unclear. Apart from Zanik's entry in our world again, wich was very sudden, i can't see any major problem.

Sorry I said it like THE REAL 150th I really think TCC deserves to be 150th through.