26th March 2009 - Development Diary

Master_Smither

Today we're releasing the first of a new line of Development Diaries. We'll be using these diaries to inform you of future content, give you an insight into the development process here at Jagex, and let you get to know the RuneScape developers a bit better.

These new Development Diaries will be different from the ones we used to do. They'll be more informal and personal, written by the developers themselves and keeping you informed about development milestones as they happen. The diaries will often track projects for the whole of their development, from the initial idea right up to release day. This process takes many months, so be aware that the projects today's diary is about won't be ready any time soon.

We'll be releasing these diaries regularly, and we'll be using them to track a number of different projects - so the next diary will be about a different project, but we'll get back to the subject of this diary in a few weeks. We won't be doing diaries on every project, though, so some releases will still take you by surprise!

The first Development Diary is entitled Reviving an old quest series. To find out which quest series we mean, check it out here

Mod John A

RuneScape Content Developer

[hide=The Development Diary]

26th March 2009 - Reviving an Old Quest Series

Welcome, O seekers of development truth! I'm Mod John A, RuneScape Content Developer, and in this diary I'll be taking you through the development of a new quest.

My last major quest project was the goblin quest series, which reached its conclusion recently with The Chosen Commander, leaving me free to work on another series. RuneScape has several storylines that have yet to be concluded, and I've been given one of them. I can now reveal that I will be working on - drum roll, please - the next dwarf quest!

I can't give you any details about the next dwarf quest yet, because right now there aren't any details. Im at the very start of the development process, and nothing has been decided yet. It's a very exciting place to be, but it's also daunting. I'm confronted with a blank page, and there are so many different things that I could write there that I don't know which one to pick.

Luckily, it's not a completely blank page. There are already two quests in the Red Axe series (The Giant Dwarf and Forgettable Tale...), and various other pieces of content involving dwarves. The first thing I did was play through these quests again and make notes. I wanted to identify the core features of the dwarf quests that I should carry through to the next one. Here are some of the things Ive come up with:

A comedic tone, but with a sinister subtext. On the surface, it's all about dwarves who are humorously drunk or have funny little personalities. Underneath that, though, there's clearly something serious and complicated going on with the Red Axe. As the series progresses, I can bring forward this sinister element, but without abandoning the funny dwarves doing funny things.

Physical puzzles, e.g. interacting with machines or finding the right items to combine, rather than interacting with characters. A good example of this is the train track puzzle in Forgettable Tale... I'll make sure to think of some nice puzzles for the next quest.

Memory wipes. These were introduced in Forgettable Tale... and are a great story element that I'd like to do more with.

An intriguing cast of characters. On one side, we have Commander Veldaban, who has the potential to be a great ally of the player. On the other side, Forgettable Tale... introduced a trio of very clearly defined villains (the head of the Red Axe, his axe-wielding right-hand man, and the ogre shaman). I can take these characters and develop them further in future quests.

That's pretty much all I have so far. My next task is to take these elements and forge them into a concept document that outlines the story of the next quest. Check back for the next development diary and I'll let you know how things are progressing.

Mod John A

RuneScape Content Developer

[/hide]

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Failed url ;)

EDIT: Never mind, you fixed it.

As to the diary, I wasn't impressed. It lacked the in depth information I used to enjoy from the previous ones.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Looks like they typed it 10 minutes ago and just rushed it out..

Great replacement to the BTS :roll:

2376/2376 total achieved - May 2009

Retired Dec 2009

I thought: an old quest series? MOURNINGS END, MOURNINGS END!

Oh...new quest series by a guy who is just learning about the dwarf storyline.

emot-suicide.gif

We got rid of the Behind The Scenes for this? I would much rather know what they're working on and have it delayed, than be kept in the dark other than a bi-monthly "sup guys, check me out being personal and stuff, oh by the way this isn't anywhere near completion so uh...bye"

I can see this going the same way as the last three times Jagex said they were getting rid of the Behind The Scenes. Expect a Behind The Scenes June.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I remember DD's. This is not a DD. This is an "updated" version of the DD I guess roflz.

I really don't care if they give info on new updates. Most games dont even give any information on updates untill the date of release. I always thought it was odd that they just gave all the information away in advance, and I hope that system never returns.

Instead of releasing these things, they should just do no BTS or DD's at all. Releasing these things and calling them "DDs" will only annoy people.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

I remember DD's. This is not a DD. This is an "updated" version of the DD I guess roflz.

I really don't care if they give info on new updates. Most games dont even give any information on updates untill the date of release. I always thought it was odd that they just gave all the information away in advance, and I hope that system never returns.

Instead of releasing these things, they should just do no BTS or DD's at all. Releasing these things and calling them "DDs" will only annoy people.

I agree. Runescape is quite unique in that we were previously given information on all new content to be released a month in advance. Although my 'mmorpg' experience is limited, I have never known another game to do something like this. We were fortunate to have had the BTS for as long as we did.

I don't see the need for Jagex keep the players informed about future content. It strikes me as odd that, judging by the attitudes displayed by certain players, people seemed to be playing the game just for future content, and not for the huge amount of content we already have in-game.

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

I thought: an old quest series? MOURNINGS END, MOURNINGS END!

Oh...new quest series by a guy who is just learning about the dwarf storyline.

emot-suicide.gif

Mournings End storyline had dwarves involved. Underground Pass (klank and all), and Mournings End Part II with that dwarf by the altar. (Which still makes me go FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--)

"How did you get here?" I battled through tons of shadows doing an insanely hard puzzle, and how did you get here? "I came through the back way." D:

EDIT: Oh yeah, imo looks like they're trying to create speculation.

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

WAAAAYYYY too short. But I am glad that this quest series will be finished up.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Boy oh boy. A dwarf quest.

Why the hell can't jagex finish the storylines people actually want...?

like the elf series or the gnome series.

BTS was epic. why can't they just make one every 2-3 months to take off the "pressure"?

2Xeo5.png

Big failure. A development diary needs to be more than this guy saying, "well, I've started thinking about a new quest, but I don't have anything yet." Dev diaries are about showcasing stuff actually IN development, and beyond the planning stage. There's basically nothing done on this new quest.

Also, new elf quest plz. But (as I said in HYT CC), if this one also involves copious amounts of beer, it may be OK.

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

Yes it was way too short but I am hoping for this to be the dragon pickaxe quest.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

as short as a dwarf

Lol. No kidding. :lol:

Arposanda, anyone?

I think from the sound of the DD he made it clear that he won't be ending it with just one quest. We've got two or more coming our way, I think, as he always took care to refer to future developments of the storyline as "quests" not "quest".

Tbh, Jagex succumbed to pressure again from its players. While many of us were crying for a DD, they gave it to us half-finished and too soon. These barely outline the concepts of future quests, I'd go so far as to say that these are 3am ideas just written down on paper. While it was nice to see what this Mod planned on doing, I hoped an article that was supposed to give us insight into the development of an update would actually cover...oh, I don't know, some actual developments. He said it himself that there's nothing even developed for this storyline.

Ah well. It's like the Monkey's Paw thing. Wish for your son to come back from the dead and he'll come back as a zombie :3 Braiiiinnnssssss...

hzvjpwS.gif

Yes it was way too short but I am hoping for this to be the dragon pickaxe quest.

Very Probable.

Yes this was disappointing, extremely disappointing. No silly cartoons of Mods working hard or any depth whatsoever, just "Well I'm thinking about a dwarf quest, it's gonna be funny...So Yeah."

very very disappointing

now we have one of my favorite quest series being worked on by the same guy who wrote the chosen commander

absolute fail

Think about it. What questions were answered in The Chosen Commander? Why was Zanik chosen? Nope. What was Bandos really planning? Nope. In all actuality it was total [cabbage].

Basically it was this; The bad guy is coming oh noez!!!!! LOLWTFBBQ I broke his necklace, I win. The end.

It's kinda sad because the quest line had the potential to to end with a bang, and instead it just kind of trailed off into nothingness.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]