100% accurate Max Hit Formulas!

Jard_Y_Dooku

Quick Links

Melee Max Hit Calculator: http://www.runeuniverse.us/code/MeleeMaxHit.html

Ranged Max Hit Calculator: http://www.runeuniverse.us/code/RangedMaxHit.html

Original Topic

All right... I have now finished developing a RuneScape Ranged Max Hit Calculator based on the new Ranged Strength bonus information. I hope it's 100% accurate, and I'm sure a lot of you may disagree with it (myself included) but please note that Tip.It's nor any other website's calculator can be called 100% accurate at this time. If you want to prove my formula wrong, please provide photo evidence (DON'T fake it to spite me).

All in all, please don't be biased towards other calculators, and provide evidence if you disagree with a result the calculator gives you.

Here is the link to my calculator: http://www.runeuniverse.us/code/RangedMaxHit.html

It is written using XHTML and JavaScript (with some CSS of course) - there's no server-side code like PHP or ASP, which effectively makes it open-source (my intention). Feel free to use, modify and distribute as you like. You are not required to credit me (I don't like restrictions) but I'd personally prefer if you did. Please use it, look through the code, make comments and criticizms; they are all valuable.

If this calculator is deemed accurate enough, I hope to see it replace Tip.It's current ranged max hit calculator. My calculator supports every type of ranged weapon, ammunition and equipment in the game as far as I know. If I missed anything, let me know. I'm insane, and will therefore add "quest item from quest no one even remembers existed" to it if you mention it.

Now, on to the development of the formula. What IS the formula? Well, simply put:

maxHit = (level + potionBoost + style) * prayer * ((rangeStrength * 0.0025) + 0.075) * special

If the max hit is less than 1, the max hit becomes 1.

I'll explain the variables:

level = The player's ranged level.

potionBoost = The number of ranged levels gained by drinking a ranged potion (e.g. at level 99, this would be 13 - see Tip.It's Potion Calculator that I developed the 100% accurate formula for, to find the values for other levels: http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=potion_calc.htm).

style = The level boost provided by your attack style. Accurate boosts your ranged level by 3, and the other styles do not boost by any levels.

prayer = The percentage the prayer raises your level by. For no prayer, this is 1. For a prayer raising by 5%, this is 1.05, etc.

rangeStrength = The Player's ranged strength bonus (in the equip screen).

special = The special attack which boosts your max hit (1.1 for void, 1.3 and 1.5 for dark bow specials, etc.).

Now, I feel I really should explain the constants. There's a lot of unexplained constants in the formulas derived for MELEE max hit... but little explanations, asides from one I heard "they just seemed to fit". However, my formula will be different, and if this formula ever sticks in the RuneScape community, I want the reason for these constants to be known. Now, this may sound a bit odd, but the reason for these constants is the Crystal bow. I'm sure everyone's heard the trick that for a full (10/10) crystal bow, multiply 0.25 by your ranged level and that is your max hit. And for a 1/10 bow the multiplier is 0.2 (0.205, actually). So I did some math, and came out with a short formula:

multiplier = (rangedStrengthBonus * 0.0025) + 0.075

Now, we can use this formula in the reverse. The ranged strength bonus for a full/new crystal bow is 70. So, putting that in the formula gives us (70 * 0.0025) + 0.075 which gives us 0.25, the original multiplier for the full crystal bow. I simply incorporated this simple formula into the ranged max hit calculator and it seems to work very well and be quite accurate.

Please try this calculator out! With the introduction of the ranged strength bonus, a new formula is needed, and here's one for us to try and test. So please help me on my quest for a 100% accurate ranged max hit calculator. One interesting prospect this brings up is that the melee max hit formula may not be as complicated as we think. Perhaps it's nearly the same as the ranged one...

Melee Addition

Now, an addition to this post. I developed a Melee max hit calculator as well, using the same formula as a base. It seems EXTREMELY accurate, even more so than the Ranged one (which probably just needs the constants tweaked). I would REALLY love to hear your feedback on this one, even more than the ranged calculator, and let me know how it works for you.

http://www.runeuniverse.us/code/MeleeMaxHit.html

Again, XHTML, JavaScript and CSS, so the full calculator source is available for you to study. A few notes:

- The formula is stupidly simple

- The ceiling function is, I think, a very important factor - I plan to change the ranged formula to use ceil instead of max(x, y) because ceil prevents the result from being zero unless the strength level is zero, and it seems more likely Jagex would do that. This means I need to tweak the constants (otherwise 99% of hits would be 1 too high) which means it may be a lot more accurate)

- Everything is cumulative

The basic form (level and bonus) of both formulas is:

ceil(level * ((bonus * a) + B))

It's very accurate and we should definitely look into developing these formulas further! Tip.It melee max hit calculator is horribly inaccurate, giving results as much as 5 too low in some cases, especially where potions, prayers and other boosts are enabled.

Please use and give feedback on this calculator too, it is very valuable!

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic work! :thumbup:

I've been playing around with it (tested some of my own stats, etc) and it seems decently accurate so far! I'll let you know if I find anything ;)

You're almost 1337 posts :lol: .

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

Thanks. I'm currently experimenting with the melee formula... this range one brings some thoughts to it, as I mentioned. The MMORPG I am developing has run into a few roadblocks with the terrain system so I'm taking a break for a couple days to do some RuneScape-focused mathematics, before I pound my fist through one of my monitors, because that will hurt.

That's incredible. Great work, and 100% accurate as far as I have tested it.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

I'm happy that mine still works :)

MHit = ((CInt(Range.text) * SpecVal * PotionVal) + (CInt(Range.text) * PrayerVal) + StyleVal + SpecialVal)

MHit = Max Hit

CInt = rounded down

Range.Text = Your Level

SpecVal = Special

PotionVal = Potion Type

PrayerVal = Prayer Type

StyleVal = Style Type

SpecialVal = Acutal bonus of special attack

All I need to do to my old formula is add Void Bonus which isn't hard.

Edit: Lowest natural max hit with Bronze Arrows (99 Ranged) isn't 9, I've hit 10's before, and I'm sure you can hit an 11 if you're lucky enough)

I'm happy that mine still works :)

MHit = ((CInt(Range.text) * SpecVal * PotionVal) + (CInt(Range.text) * PrayerVal) + StyleVal + SpecialVal)

MHit = Max Hit

CInt = rounded down

Range.Text = Your Level

SpecVal = Special

PotionVal = Potion Type

PrayerVal = Prayer Type

StyleVal = Style Type

SpecialVal = Acutal bonus of special attack

All I need to do to my old formula is add Void Bonus which isn't hard.

Edit: Lowest natural max hit with Bronze Arrows (99 Ranged) isn't 9, I've hit 10's before, and I'm sure you can hit an 11 if you're lucky enough)

1) I proved your comcat level formula wrong ;)

2) I believe, you, but picture proof please

3) Sure you weren't on accurate, not rapid?

Prove it wrong and show me please.

Here's my melee one, pretty much right (not 100% though)

MHit = ((CInt(Str.Text) * SpecVal * PotionVal) + (CInt(Str.Text) * PrayerVal) + (CInt(Str.Text) * AmuletVal) + (CInt(Str.Text) * MaskVal) + StyleVal) * ((CInt(Weap.Text) * 0.00168) + 0.1) + 3.12

MHit = ((CInt(Str.Text) * SpecVal * PotionVal) + (CInt(Str.Text) * PrayerVal) + (CInt(Str.Text) * AmuletVal) + (CInt(Str.Text) * MaskVal) + StyleVal) * ((CInt(Weap.Text) * 0.00168) + 0.1) + 3.12

viewtopic.php?p=6088375#p6088375

Read from that post to the end of the page. ;)

EDIT: This is my Leeth post (1337th)!

viewtopic.php?p=6088375#p6088375

Read from that post to the end of the page. ;)

Only proved my Combat wrong and Melee (I know its not 100% anyway).

it seems largely accurate, but...

I regret not having a picture proof, and not really having the motivation to go take a picture but hope you'll take my word on this. When I used grey chins to train ranged (before I had 99, but range potted to up to 111 using eagle eye, accurate, and void) I hit lots of 16s and the calculator says the max is 10. I'll ask any friends who may be chinning to get a pic if possible, if you do too that would be nice lol.

I guess it could be a bug that the game says their strength is 0. However, the max of reds is probably well above the calculated 16 as well.

ya im almost positive that the max hit @ 77 range with addys f2p is 13 without pray/pot

in fact i just smacked some 13s on some ppl in pvp world today at 78 range

i think the formula is not accurate with low range strength items (78 range with bronze according to formula = 7, but i've hit 9s and 10s)

still, very nice contribution :)

My all RSC level 4, 9hp account:

noway.png

It lists the max hit of ranged in f2p as 17.885, when I have seen 19's.

ya im almost positive that the max hit @ 77 range with addys f2p is 13 without pray/pot

in fact i just smacked some 13s on some ppl in pvp world today at 78 range

i think the formula is not accurate with low range strength items (78 range with bronze according to formula = 7, but i've hit 9s and 10s)

still, very nice contribution :)

120571579maxhit.gif

Damn, I don't have 1337 posts anymore. Also, that's interesting. Perhaps we should adjust those constants, though I don't know how much the 0.0025 can be adjusted without messing things up, and the 0.075 is too linear to change much. Anyone have any ideas?

I will point out an inaccuracies. Not enchanted bolts are weaker than their enchanted brethren, at least in the case of adamant. Normal addy is the same as broad, +100, but ruby(e) is +103 and diamond(e) is +105. That's the only type I have though, so I can't tell you about others.

But the 29 max seems correct for me at 91 range with broad bolts. Sadly. Range really needs to be evened with melee in pvm -.-

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Your calculator says I should be able to hit 10 or 11 (depends on whether you round down or up) with void, black knifes, range pot, 10% range pray on rapid. So far, my max is 15.

2dvjurb.png

With 99 range and broad bolts I hit 27 nat and 31 potted. Your formula seems to over estimate by a fair bit at the moment. Seems range lvl is a bit more important and ranged strength bonus a bit less? Looks like all you need to do is play with the constants a bit more.

Also, be wary of void. It sure as hell seems to add more than 10%.

I will point out an inaccuracies. Not enchanted bolts are weaker than their enchanted brethren, at least in the case of adamant. Normal addy is the same as broad, +100, but ruby(e) is +103 and diamond(e) is +105. That's the only type I have though, so I can't tell you about others.

But the 29 max seems correct for me at 91 range with broad bolts. Sadly. Range really needs to be evened with melee in pvm -.-

No, there are 3 stages of bolts:

Metal

Gem (non-enchanted)

Enchanted gem-tipped

I said that the Gem and Gem-tipped are the same.

Also, to the person(s) who commented about Chinchompas, I agree. Perhaps their explosiveness gives them an additional bonus somehow?

Now, I want to compile a list of KNOWN max hits under certain conditions. If you guys want to help, post your ranged level, ranged strength bonus, and maximum hit. Please make sure you are 100% certain, or provide a picture. You should NOT have prayers, potions, special attacks, or any sorts of boosts enabled!!! Only your ranged level and ranged strength bonus should be factors. This means:

NO potion

NO prayers

NO ACCURATE attack style (rapid or defensive is fine)

NO Void

NO special attacks (Zanik's bow, Dark bow)

By making ranged level and ranged strength the only factors, we can find the constants more easily. I'll start... my ranged level is 93.

Bonus = Max hit

56 = 19

54 = 19

52 = 18

It seems to me that the only logical form for the ranged max hit formula (and melee too, because I've come up with something VERY accurate so far) is:

level * ((bonus * a) + B) where a < b and a and b are unknown constants. I know prayers, specials, etc. are absent but once we have an accurate base, those are mostly automatic.

No, there are 3 stages of bolts:

Metal

Gem (non-enchanted)

Enchanted gem-tipped

I said that the Gem and Gem-tipped are the same.

Oh, gotcha. Sorry, misread that then.

Range can safespot.

I assume you're talking to me. What difference does this make? With bolts/arrows, the cost of training is about even with melee's food requirement, if not more, and the three best places to train, Ape Atoll chinning, Aviansies, and Yaks, all can't be safespotted, as well as most other monsters being more efficient to not safespot.

Even if you throw out the danger card, the fact is that other than bosses, you probably won't die if you are prepared. I've not died accidentally in a year at least, whether meleeing or ranging, except for once at Zamorak GWD, and I was ranging there and had logged off. I thought you logged in somewhere safe from the attacks, and that's the only reason I died. So, if you want to elaborate on why range and mage should suck in pvm compared to melee, be my guest. Until then, gtfo.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off