A RuneScape Magazine - Your Thoughts?

Sunny Earth

magazine.png

Hi guys. :)

I've just started this thread, to see what you think about a RuneScape magazine being released. As it stands, there isn't one which exists - I personally think it would be a great addition to the current available RuneScape merchandises.

So, what are your thoughts on a RuneScape magazine being released? Would you buy one? How much would you expect to pay for it? What content would you like to see? You don't have to answer the questions, they're just some points to think about. Any opinions are welcome. Once I get enough feedback on this, I may make a suggestion thread. Thanks in advance. :)

Possible content suggested and discussed so far:

Behind the Scenes.

Sneak peak of future updates.

Video of the week.

Latest gossip.

Players' opinions.

Grand Exchange updates.

Cool oufits.

Tips on skills, money making, etc.

One new quest guide every month.

Famous quotes from Andrew Gower and Paul Gower.

Questions being answered by Jagex Moderators.

Helpful game tips.

Small stories from RuneScape NPC's everyday-life, not available on the RuneScape website.

RuneScape posters.

Player-submitted stories about different situations in RuneScape.

Contests for winning something like Andrew Gower signature on a magazine or getting your username for next months magazine!

Games, this section should be called 'FunOrb' and it will have games such as crosswords, puzzles, etc.

Glimpse of the Future section.

Other points raised:

Players would rather purchase it online than in-store.

Have it available online for free using 'Ezine' or saving as a PDF file.

Some feel that there would be no market as Fansites offer a similar use.

Newspapers/Magazines are no longer as popoular as they used to be.

Price ranges from Free - £2

timbonoobeo4.png

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'd buy it, but only if the writers can spell.

It's CORPOREAL beast, not corporal.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

To be dead honest, any paper supplied business seems to be crashing in an epic attempt to keep up to date with the internet. Most of what you can get in the mail, is easier to get online. Even magazines can be found if you find someone nice enough to scan it.

The idea is a good one, don't get me wrong, but it would be a horrible move for Jagex. All you would get in the Magazine is what the main page of www.runescape.com already tells you, and anything beyond that is not worth paying money for.

The design is nice however, I do like the front cover of your product.

Stellactic.gif

Yeah there should be one with an article every 3 weeks dedicated to me where I can say whatever the hell I want about the latest updates and what's on my mind, everyone would buy it then!!! :lol:

maybe in a few years when runescape actually has it's respect lifted up a few bars.. runescape starting a magazine is like a modern nation building a monument, your just trying to show off your power to other "nations" (mmo's)

it won't go over well at runescape's current state of affairs, but as runescape gets bigger and more respected, its a possibility.

btw sick cover

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Thanks for the posts everyone!

would be cool,i'd pay $4 max for it ;)

That's about £2 I think - I'd definiteley agree with that price.

i'd subscribe 'cause I like keeping up to date with runescape.. but rs will never be that big to have a magazine.. maybe an article in a gamer magazine at most :P

That's the sort of reason why I think a magazine would be good. It's not the usual homepage story, it's a mixture of the latest news, players' opinions and useul information.

My opinion is divided. It sounds good, but then again I don't think that many people (if any) would buy it. It does sound interesting though. I would think that an e-zine would be better though.

(What's an E-Zine? :P).. I'm not too sure if I'm honest how popular one would actually be. There are millions of players varying in age, so it would be interesting to see.

Maybe I'd buy it, but only if the writers can spell.

It's CORPOREAL beast, not corporal.

Did I miss something? ;)

I think it's a good idea, but I wouldn't pay any money for it tbh

I think the only way it would be free was if you could download it off the internet and then either print it off, or view it as an image - interesting though!

To be dead honest, any paper supplied business seems to be crashing in an epic attempt to keep up to date with the internet. Most of what you can get in the mail, is easier to get online. Even magazines can be found if you find someone nice enough to scan it.

The idea is a good one, don't get me wrong, but it would be a horrible move for Jagex. All you would get in the Magazine is what the main page of http://www.runescape.com already tells you, and anything beyond that is not worth paying money for.

The design is nice however, I do like the front cover of your product.

Thanks - I definitely see what you mean about competing with the internet. It might not necessarilly be made by Jagex - if it was, it would obviously be quite strict on what is in there. A player made magazine could contain information and latest updates, as well as stories and opinions from various different players.

But it should not be focused on famous players...

Absolutely not! I do think a large percentage of players do find interest in what famous players have to do and say. We all know what it's like when Zezima appears somewhere - within minutes there's players flocking to see him. So whilst it definitely won't be based around famous players, maybe an article now and then which involves a well known player, may interest the readers more.

Yeah there should be one with an article every 3 weeks dedicated to me where I can say whatever the hell I want about the latest updates and what's on my mind, everyone would buy it then!!! :lol:
Hehe - I honestly do think the average player would genuinly be interested in seeing what well know players have to say about something.

maybe in a few years when runescape actually has it's respect lifted up a few bars.. runescape starting a magazine is like a modern nation building a monument, your just trying to show off your power to other "nations" (mmo's)

it won't go over well at runescape's current state of affairs, but as runescape gets bigger and more respected, its a possibility.

btw sick cover

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you, maybe (or maybe not) with the new CEO and the release of Mechscape, the reputation of RuneScape may begin to pick up a little bit.

I'd rather do the writing...

Players stories and opinions would be a good part of the magazine!

Newspapers are dying out. Why would you compete with Tip.it Times with a dying format?

This isn't a newspaper (although I would still disagree) - it would be a magazine keeping RuneScapers up to date, not just with the latest additions to the game, but also stories about other players. It wouldn't be written by Jagex, so it would let us read information about the game from a players' perspective. Furthermore it could include items such as pullouts - posters for example, or other RuneScape goodies.

timbonoobeo4.png

I am going to be honest in that I generaly hate the idea of e-zines and other things like them. I also know thats an odd comment considering I work for the Seer's Journal and wrote for the Gielinor Tribune before that. The thing is, once you get into something the size of a magazine or a real newspaper, its way to big to read on a computer. I hate reading overly long things on a computer screen, it hurts the eyes (literaly it does do damage over time), and its more difficult to do. This is why you should never edit stuff on a computer, you miss things.

That leaves me printing the bloody thing off, which if I do it in full colour woudl probably cost more than a subscription fee because I don't use an office laser printer, but rather a home use inkjet for which the replacement ink costs nearly as much as the printer did brand new. And its a single color cartrage, not component colour cartrages, so once the yellow runs out its toast (my parents has separate colors, and the yellow runs out way faster than cyan and magenta do).

Anyways, I prefer reading things on paper, because I don't get all the people trying to read my laptop screen on the bus, and my laptop dosent get stolen or broken. My newspaper and magazines also do not run out of power, especialy useful during storms when reading is one of a few good ways to stay sane.

But the idea of a magazine itself I do love. It could have some development and all kinds of other stuff in it. Community news would be fascinating I am sure (and am NOT being sarcastic).

It would be awsome if the player community could make something of that size on a monthly basis, but I don't feel like giving players my mailing address and I already did a small rant on exactly how I feel about reading large articles on a monitor and what I think about mass colour printing.

An example would be the loss of all my Baldur's Gate manuals (I didn't lose them, someone else did :evil: ). There small encyclapedias in their own right, each nearly 200 pages (I think). I printed the bloody things off, 2 pages per sheet of paper, then used my foot to hit the stapler hard enough to staple sections of the manual together (its a pain past about 20-25 sheets of paper). And I only printed off what I needed to for SoA if your wondering. Anyways idea is good but I hate magazines that are only available online so it woudl need to be both online and mailed, like a newspaper.

"Defil3d tells all"

Stupid idea IMO. Not enough new content to start an entire magazine range.

Jagex is giving in to the little kids. It was nice when RuneScape was a secret amongst the gaming world.

The least we need now is more [cabbage] advertising.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

The postbag is a cross between question asking and information giving. Some players ask about things that dont really exist in the game, like the lives of vertain npcs, and there are answers just as unrealated. But sometimes you get questions about lore and whatnot, and the answers to those are just as interesting. Then you get the chaos elemental who actualy gives clues about future content on a regular basis.

Awww isn't that cute?

But it's wrong!

isnt-that-cute-but-its-wrong.jpg

But in all seriousness, it wouldn't work. First, because paper based magazines are floundering in the age of the internet and secondly, because the clientele is not large/rich enough.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Hmm, I think an online Community News site would work much better, seeing as I wouldn't much like to pay for it and printed news industry is in trouble right now. But a news site would be simply amazing.

Join Future Update News! The longest running update speculation thread on the RSOF, currently on its 24 Edition

QFC 16-17-671-59680498

314v28z.jpg

Thanks to Killerwat for the sig!