Time Travel, Possible or Not?

Riku3220

If we can ever travel faster than light, but still we can't travel back, but we can see the past.

See, when the sun's rays hit the earth, the images go back. Reflection is possible because of light, and mirrors are only possible cause of light. If there was no light, mirrors would not exist. When light hits the earth, it acts as a mirror and reflects the images back out into space, and space never ends, as far as we know. If we can ever travel faster than light, we can catch up to the images from the past and see things such as if Jesus was real or not, the dinosaurs and all the other things that happened that are still a mystery. Though, many people say traveling faster than light is not possible, we said that about many things. But it happened.

E=Mc^2, where E=energy and m=mass and c=speed of light.

lolbx7.png

Main: Snw rifleman - FINISHED DESERT TRESURE 11/5/08 WOO

Just your typical asian who likes to play games =)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we can ever travel faster than light, but still we can't travel back, but we can see the past.

See, when the sun's rays hit the earth, the images go back. Reflection is possible because of light, and mirrors are only possible cause of light. If there was no light, mirrors would not exist. When light hits the earth, it acts as a mirror and reflects the images back out into space, and space never ends, as far as we know. If we can ever travel faster than light, we can catch up to the images from the past and see things such as if Jesus was real or not, the dinosaurs and all the other things that happened that are still a mystery. Though, many people say traveling faster than light is not possible, we said that about many things. But it happened.

E=Mc^2, where E=energy and m=mass and c=speed of light.

assuming we get ahead of this with a warp drive of sorts there is still another problem; its quite likely the images will be too skewed to view anything microscale about earth. Light going back out of the atmosphere and across space through who knows what is going to be very distorted. I guess its possible we could recover major things such as a giant fire but I doubt we could actually watch the signing of the Declaration of Independance and such

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

Time travel is a paradox in itself isn't it?

To travel to a time before you existed means you don't exist yet and thus can't exist.

To travel to a time after you existed means you have already existed and have ceased to exist and thus can't exist.

So using that reasoning it would only be possible to time travel in the time when one still existed. Of course this is assuming all religions are wrong and you don't exist after death or before you are born. (and that time is real and not just a tool made by humans)

But, what if you time traveled to a time before you were born and changed the present. Because if you went back, then none of your things such as memory and stuff went behind either. Which would mean that you now exist in that time, and is therefore now the present. The future would happen without you, changing the past and all your actions. But if the past was changed, then you were changed, also changing the future, in a never-ending cycle changing all we know.

So if you did manage to time travel, the present would lose all memory of you, since you cease to exist, therefore changing the past, since all actions that were made to create you were gone. So to all the people saying time travel would change the past, you're wrong. If you traveled to the past, it would change the present because you no longer exist, and you can't just magically disappear. If you did, it's like as if you just die. The past would change to fill in the hole of your former self and then you'd live in the past for the rest of your life. So, you could say we each have a copy of our own world in our own eyes. Cause if we all time traveled, the past would be different for us all, changing the present, but only changing our side. If only our side was changed, you'd no longer exist, and your memory would be gone, because you didn't exist to do anything that happened. This would also change the future because say you won $5,000,000. If you time traveled, you'd no longer have that $5,000,000, nor any memory of winning it. Someone else would win it, changing the future. If you did anything to the past, like killed Abraham Lincoln before he released the slaves, slaves would no longer exist IN YOUR WORLD. It could very well happen in someone else's present. But you don't know because you don't know the future, for you have no memory of it at all. If you time traveled forward to try and see if this changed anything, you couldn't. You would be stuck in that time, because you didn't live yet to create the time machine. Therefore you would have no idea you time traveled at all, and that your theory would be long lost. Someone else would try this and the whole cycle continues.

And to my theory on everyone's own world. It kind of makes sense. If you time traveled backwards, the people would all lose their memory of you, because you didn't exist. So, what happens to yourself in the present? You just disappear from existence. Then when you go into the past, you forget everyone else because you can't possibly remember anything, for that would upset the balance of the world. So then, you have no idea of anyone existing, so you live in your own world. Everyone is like a computer, TO YOU. If someone else you knew time traveled, the past would be changed, therefore changing the future and present in YOUR time. If it is changed, that means, you would think everything happens naturally. But to your friend who time traveled, he would seem to be changing things in your time. But since you would probably lose your memory during time travel, he would forget you and you would forget him. He would no longer exist in your time, and you, in his. This means that the influence of others do not have any effect on you at all, because if they were to change you, in reality, the future would change, because of your actions due to the influence of others. If the future is changed, the past and present must also change, so the balance of time would not be upset. If the past and present were changed, the future must also be changed. This means, time is irrelevant, and it does not exist. Since time does not exist, time travel cannot be possible. Without time travel, all I said was meaningless and it has no effect on you, for if someone was to, say in the year 2010 were to create a "time travel" machine, and travel back in time, all his memories would be gone, since he ceases to exist in the present. We would live our own lives in the present, while there is another group of people from a year say 4000, that all time traveled to the past of the year, say 1840. They have no memories of their present, and our future, we would not see them. When our time gets to 4000, we will all say, time travel ourselves, forget it all, and restart this cycle. Time is irrelevant because this cycle goes on forever and it could mean we all live forever since there is no such thing as time, because if we were to upset the natural cycle of our lives, by say time traveling, we would end up going to the past, forgetting all that we know, our memories and everything, and exist in a world that only involves us, because if someone were to travel back in time, in THEIR OWN WORLD, he would not exist, and if we knew him say, 5 minutes ago, we would not know him now, because he upset the balance and time traveled, therefore no longer existing. Since he exists no more, we do not know him, though 5 minutes ago, we could have met him/her and became best friends, married them perhaps, and changed the future. But since he/she ceases to exist, we no longer know him/her and it changes our future and present. If that is different, it must make our past change to match our present, and our present no longer exists in ANOTHER PERSON'S WORLD, and that makes us no longer existing. This means no one exists and we are all in a never ending time flip flop changing world. That means time is irrelevant and no one exists in EACH OTHER'S WORLDS.

If the maker of this thread were to time travel, he would no longer exist. That means this thread no longer exist, and the people who knew him personally, would have no memories of him and therefore it would change THEIR WORLD'S FUTURE, and the present and time must change to match the future of their world. It will alter the past, present, and future, and that means they cease to exist. That means they have their own world where only they exist, and others are merely people who will no longer exist in 5 minutes. The 5 minutes you could live might not be the same as someone else's. If we all lived in the same world, we would all experience the same thing. If that were true, we would all look the same, since the past must match OUR WORLD'S FUTURE AND PRESENT, the mother of someone would be all our mother's and father's. The father's and mother's would be the same people as us, since it must match OUR WORLDS and would mean we are all the same people. If we are all the same people, this would make this world fake and nothing and time is irrelevant. Since time is irrelevant, the past, present, and future, no longer exist. That means we are all living in our own worlds, for once we time travel, this will not exist. There will be SOMEONE who travels and changes everything. That makes this message meaningless and makes this not exist. The cycle will continue.

Since we all had our own world's, your present and my present are different and this is actually not happening, because if I were alter MY WORLD'S PRESENT, your world would be altered because my future could be a scientist who cures cancer. Since that does not happen because I time travel and cease to exist, you could get cancer. You might strive to find a cure and you decide, "Hey, I'll share my idea with the past and be a hero!" You time travel, the cure for cancer does not exist, and people continue to gain cancer. Even if you were to find the cure, the PAST will still suffer from cancer. The past has not happened for some people that do not EXIST yet, and the past is for the future time travelers who do not exist yet. Since the past has not happened because the people from the future have not time traveled yet, the PRESENT must change to BALANCE with the PAST and FUTURE. This means none of us exist, and if none of us exist, the future can not happen. If the future can not happen, the past can not happen since the actions of the future, which were CAUSED BY THE PAST, do not exist. This means nothing is real and time is irrelevant.

Another way to say it:

If 4 minutes does not happen, 5 minutes can not happen since it cannot go from 3 to 5. But since 5 minutes does not happen, 3 minutes can not happen since 4 minutes does not happen, (which means 5 minutes doesn't either), because 4 minutes is bound to happen from 3 minutes. If 4 minutes does not happen, 3 minutes is not possible, since there is nothing for it to turn into. Because 3 minutes is bound to happen from 2 minutes, but 3 minutes doesn't exist because 4 minutes doesn't happen. That means 2 minutes doesn't happen, nor 1 minute, nor anything at all. That means time does not exist and therefore if time doesn't exist, there is nothing and we are all living in null.

Any questions? Lol

Lol, sounds stupid, and a paradox, just gives ya something to think about.

PS: Someone will ask, and I am a Baptist. :P

lolbx7.png

*stuff*

I'm really interested, and don't wanna be douchey but can I have a tl;dr>?

From me or him?

I guess me since mine is uber long.

Even if it's not me, I'll write it for anyone else who needs a tl;dr.

Okay, basically this is a theory on time being irrelevant and own our worlds. If I were to time travel into the past, I would lose all memory. It's like I was being reborn again into a different time. I were to disappear from the future, and it would happen without me. The past could be happening now, only that all the people in the past, would be from the future, from the people who time travel. If I made a time machine, time traveled backwards, I would totally disappear from existence. I would live the past as my present, and the future that used to be my present, would now be my future. It's like a never ending cycle.

But anyways. If I were to time travel backwards, would I affect the present? No. They have their own worlds, and I have mine. If I were to time travel backwards, I would no longer exist in the 21st century, and I would be in a different century/time. The present would happen as if I were never there and how would I know if people didn't forget about me, and it happen all the opposite of what I am talking about?

"Well, just take your time machine and go forward, and check!"

What time machine? I haven't lived to the time where I made a time machine yet! "Well don't you remember it?" Nope, I lost all my memory from time warping. I can't remember something that hasn't happened because the present that is now my future, is my future. I haven't experienced it yet, and someone in the future could have already experienced it 5 minutes later. Time is irrelevant because the future is always happening, and the past is always happening. The past replays over and over, due to the fact that people in the future, probably in the year 3000+, have found out a way to time travel. They decide, hey let's all go back. Well, the person in their own world, decides to go back. He is now in the past, as a new person living in his own world, which is no one elses. The future has not happened for him yet, and the future is still moving, only that the future of his world has not been experienced by him yet. His future is his future and if I went to the past, it would change only my past. The people of the world are mere matter that has no effect on me, for if I were to change something about me, only I would change. Say I time warp. Only my world changes. I can't change George Bush's future if I were to time travel. It would change mine, and George Bush would change to fit my future, present, and past. The person, George Bush doesn't change. MY GEORGE BUSH changes, because I know of only one George Bush, and the future me knows of only ONE GEORGE BUSH.

It is sort of hard to explain, with such few words, but if you ever have time, read my full thing. It won't take more than 10 minutes at the most. So if you are ever fishing, take a look at it :P.

And this is pretty long too, lol. If I were you, just read my whole thing. It shouldn't take too long ;)

lolbx7.png

My physics teacher once told me that it would only be possible to travel back to the point where the machine was first created.

He also mentioned something about throwing a wormhole off into space at the speed of light and then bringing it back.

I sort of think I understand it.

2Xeo5.png

That would still create paradoxes...

Something along the lines of going back and accidentally killing someone who gave you the idea of going back in the first place, so you don't go back, so you didn't kill them, so you do get the idea so you do go back etc etc etc.

Backward time travel is very likely to be impossible! You could be able to use it to create a perpetual motion machine (a machine that you can use to power something, but that doesn't require any energy to run). Perpetual motion machines violate the second law of thermodynamics.

If you want an example of the second law of thermodynamics: Imagine you have a pot of white paint, and squirt some red paint into it. Now you stir it it clockwise 4 times, it will turn pink. If you stir it anticlockwise 4 times, you will never get your splodge of red paint back, you cannot un-mix the colours. If fact you will never undo the mixing, whichever way you try to un-stir it, even if you're very precise.

Proud owner of Questcape since 4th July 2009!! :D :D

sphinxor_86.png

probably been said...many times...but watev cbf reading 5 pages

when you look at the sun your looking into the past. by approx. 8mins. however long it takes the suns light to reach earth.

Did i just blow your mind or what!?!? :o ::'

sword2di2.jpg

thanks to mitsubishi64 who made this sig

when you look at the sun your looking into the past. by approx. 8mins. however long it takes the suns light to reach earth.

Not exactly looking into the past. That's just loooking at light that was produced 8 minutes ago.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Not exactly looking into the past. That's just loooking at light that was produced 8 minutes ago.

hmm never thought of it like that...i guess my IT teacher was wrong

sword2di2.jpg

If you see a rock are you looking into the past? Or are you seeing a rock that formed a couple hundred years ago?

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

If you see a rock are you looking into the past? Or are you seeing a rock that formed a couple hundred years ago?

yeah haha i cant believe no one in our class picked up on that lol, btw we spent the entire IT lesson talking bout calculus n the 4th dimension, no idea why, we were supposed to be learning about databases :?

sword2di2.jpg

I guess if you just want like 10 times the speed of light, perhaps due to relativity and such time would maybe reverse?? I know it would slow incredibly, because the faster you go towards the speed of light, the slower your relative time is to others. I personally think it would be impossible to move backwards through time, shy of some supermassive ultra radioactive worm hole thing.

Masta Chef

archsupportei2.png

Drops-- Dragon: Medium(2),Spear(1),Legs(2),Skirt(1)

Pharaoh's Scepter(1)

Barrows items(10 total)

Backwards time travelling will stay as one of the unsolved problems of physics I think.

It has a solution, it can't be done. Now like has been said changing your speed changes how fast time moves for you, but once you stop, you are at 0, there is no negative speed and even if there was it wouldn't reverse the flow of time.

Time is much like a river, if keeps moving forward and you can't reverse the flow. There are big rocks and small rocks, you see them but don't know why they are there. Let's not forget rivers don't need someone to tend to them.

NO NO NO.

PSEUDOSCIENCE.*

BAD.

*Scroll down, read the first review.

It goes a little further than Rob Bryanton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many_Worlds_Interpretation

Besides, it's no less proven than a lot of things. Just because a composer wrote about a physics theory, it doesn't mean it's bs. He wrote that imagining the tenth dimension thing, but the original ideas came from a physicist 50 years ago.

If time goes in a loop as opposed to a line, then traveling into the past could be possible by accelerating into the future. I really do think it's a loop too - it makes more sense than time having a starting and ending point.

If time goes in a loop as opposed to a line, then traveling into the past could be possible by accelerating into the future. I really do think it's a loop too - it makes more sense than time having a starting and ending point.

What like a never ending loop - like a mobius strip ? I guess that would make sense, however I believe that to time travel "on this strip" you would have to travel by the 2nd dimension on the strip for it (time travel ) to be possible. ie on the small edge.

How does that equate back into the real world ?

Anyone mentioned the grandfather paradox, in the last 5 pages ?

y/n ?

What like a never ending loop - like a mobius strip ? I guess that would make sense, however I believe that to time travel "on this strip" you would have to travel by the 2nd dimension on the strip for it (time travel ) to be possible. ie on the small edge.

y/n ?

Y
hopesolopatriot.jpg

y/n ?

Y, but the futurama version is far better. :lol:

I've heard that it's possible that space in the universe could be looped, in that if you kept on going in any direction you'd end up where you started, like a game of asteroids, but in more dimensions. If this is true, it might also be true for time as well. The universe would be shaped like a five dimensional donut, and don't ask me what a five dimensional donut looks like.

~ W ~

sigzi.png