Time Travel, Possible or Not?

Riku3220

What do you guys think of time traveling?

Personally I believe that one could go into the future by slowing down one's atoms to the point where everything else is seemingly moving fast. Like freezing yourself.

However I believe that backwards time travel is simply impossible because history has already been written. For example, if you were to try to go back in time and kill Hitler it wouldn't work because history has already recorded that Hitler committed suicide in 1945. Some people believe that going back in time and killing a butterfly could have drastic effects in the present. I say that since it still technically happened in the past, it was meant to happen to keep life as we know it.

On another note what time period would you go to if you obtained the ability to time travel? I'll be headed towards ancient Egypt.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not possible to travel back in time, we'd sure see people from the future here if it was.

Your idea about travelling into the future sounds plausible, but I'm pretty sure someone will soon disprove it :P

I don't think I would travel in time if I could, our civilization is quite a lot more advanced than it was even 100 years ago, let alone more than 100 years.

2dvjurb.png

I'm no scientist but I don't think there is any way for anyone to time travel.

But I'd like to go a few thousand years ahead in time and see how the Earth is going. Come in, have a cuppa, talk about itself then come back to now.

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

If time travel would be possible in the future, why hasn't our future selves presented themselves to us by now?

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

Time doesn't exist. It's just a form of measurement conceptualised by humans to document the order in which everything takes place.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

However I believe that backwards time travel is simply impossible because history has already been written. For example, if you were to try to go back in time and kill Hitler it wouldn't work because history has already recorded that Hitler committed suicide in 1945. Some people believe that going back in time and killing a butterfly could have drastic effects in the present. I say that since it still technically happened in the past, it was meant to happen to keep life as we know it.

Now you get into the time paradox. If someone went back in time and killed Hitler, history would rewrite itself to fit the change- And due to the repercussions, life could be very different indeed today.

C2b6gs7.png

Now you get into the time paradox. If someone went back in time and killed Hitler, history would rewrite itself to fit the change- And due to the repercussions, life could be very different indeed today.

Before getting into the time paradox, you'd have to travel back in time. And I don't think that's possible. I don't think it's possible to reconstitute the molecules like they were in that time. And if we could, what would happen with the current "set" of molecules? It would be gone. Unless you'd create a parallel universe, instead, it would have to be connected with each other. So that the old created set of molecules that represents 1945 influences the set of molecules of 2009.

That's just... too complex and sort of impossible.

As for travelling to the future. Slowing atoms to the point of 0K, doesn't make you time travel. Time still progresses, but you've just halted your set of molecules. Provided it was possible to start life up again (not possible now, but aight) you'd simply have paused your aging, only to start it up later again.

In short: no, time travel is not possible.

I do believe that we will one day be able to time travel, but not in the way everyone thinks though. The way I feel is that when we time travel, we become a "Ghost" in "Spectator Mode" where people during that time cannot hear/see/feel us even though we may be standing beside them.

I believe that there is an element out there that contains a new form of magical powers which we have not found yet. Heck, life could even contain "Cheat Codes" which requires us to do a certain pattern. We do not know but someone may find it in the future.

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

When I edit my posts, does that count as travelling backwards through time and altering history?

Personally I believe that one could go into the future by slowing down one's atoms to the point where everything else is seemingly moving fast. Like freezing yourself.

That would freeze you, I'm pretty sure. Molecular movement is what creates heat - faster is hotter, colder is slower.

However, we could always try Suspended Animation (bolded for dramatic effect). In biology just yesterday we learned about this type of frog that freezes it's insides when it touches ice; it curls up into a sort of torpedo shape, fills it's insides with water and freezes them.

I'm not sure how it works, and there's plenty of problems I can think of - Frostbite, cutting of organs and such, and failure to wake up. The frog melts inside out. It's pretty interesting, and I'm not sure if the frog ages or not when it's frozen.

PS. I just remembered seeing on TV once that after a certain point, the gene for aging stops working, and that if it were harvested people could live indefinitely (it stops working very old). That could sorta work as future travel?

Wah, for some reason my reply got deleted. I can't be bothered writing a new really long one. I'll summarise:

1. Forwards time travel is possible, you just spend time close to the speed of light.

2. Backwards time travel may or may not be possible, it depends on physics that we don't know about. Time paradoxes are a problem, but a system of parallel universes might solve them.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

The faster you go, the slower time passes around you. Time dilation.

So kids, if you go real fast, you'll remain youthly beautiful. Yaaaay!

It is impossible to travel back in time, but to travel forth in time would be possible, but only by fractions. E.g. there are two guys, born on the same minute of the same day of the same year in the same hospital. One of them is an astronaut and has to go on a mission, which would be space-cruizing for two years at 15,000 mph (I'm not familiar with miles, so schmeh. (about 24,000 km/h)) with a huge-[wagon] fueltank attached to his rocket. After those two years, when he returns back to earth, that astronaut would be approx 2 days younger than his born-on-the-same-date-friend.

Oh yes, it is possible. But in fractions. And only forwards.

DERBO_PK.png

nice.jpg

derbo_pk.png

You guys should Einstein's Theories of Relativity. Time travel is possible should something surpass the speed of c, light in a vacuum. In addition, it doesn't have to be faster than light, but travel a farther distance, or in this case, displacement.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

You guys should Einstein's Theories of Relativity. Time travel is possible should something surpass the speed of c, light in a vacuum. In addition, it doesn't have to be faster than light, but travel a farther distance, or in this case, displacement.

Supercannon

Remember the supercannon from the "Is there anything that can't kill you" thread where it basically turned everything even a dust molecule into a lethal projectile?

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

How about wormholes, they would allows us to travel into the future...

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

But reaching the speed of light is impossible. You'd need an infinitive amount of energy to get the slightest amount of mass moving at the speed of light. In theory, it would work with solarshields (extremely lightweight shields, which get propelled as lightparticles bounce into it. So this shield, in theory, would be able to reach 99,999% of the speed of light.)

But also, like Einstein said, you can't trave at the sped of light because you would get sucked into a black hole.

DERBO_PK.png

nice.jpg

derbo_pk.png

possible forward through relativity yes(I figure aging slower then earth counts)

backwards I doubt, maybe under parallel universes but I find it nearly impossible for it to be possible.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

Ah, I forgot about the theory of relativity. I can't explain it well, but it does state that the faster you go towards the speed of light, then time slows down for you. That explains some rays of light that should die in immeasurably short amounts of time, but still manage to make it to the earth.

Wormholes don't travel through time, they just act as shortcuts. Think of it as a tunnel through a mountain.

If travelling close to the speed of light slows time down, couldn't travelling past it possibly send you backwards in time? Reminds me of what we're doing in math... (y = x/z). Maybe there is something that travels faster than light, but since it is always going backwards it's impossible to measure or notice :-k

Ah, I forgot about the theory of relativity. I can't explain it well, but it does state that the faster you go towards the speed of light, then time slows down for you. That explains some rays of light that should die in immeasurably short amounts of time, but still manage to make it to the earth.

Wormholes don't travel through time, they just act as shortcuts. Think of it as a tunnel through a mountain.

If travelling close to the speed of light slows time down, couldn't travelling past it possibly send you backwards in time? Reminds me of what we're doing in math... (y = x/z). Maybe there is something that travels faster than light, but since it is always going backwards it's impossible to measure or notice :-k

mass cannot travel at or above the speed of light

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

You guys should Einstein's Theories of Relativity.

And then I accidentally the whole thing.

Depending on the "shape" of time, travel may be possible. It's like the how space is believed to be crumpled, so that you're not really going in a straight line, but if you could you would arrive at your destination faster. If time is the same, then cutting through a straight line in any direction may yield the same effect. Getting there is the hard part. Also, I'm talking completely out of my [wagon] right now so this is probably full of holes.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Freezing is likely the only possible way, but why would anyone do it? If it does work, it's a one way trip.
That's not time travel.

And then I accidentally the whole thing.

Depending on the "shape" of time, travel may be possible. It's like the how space is believed to be crumpled, so that you're not really going in a straight line, but if you could you would arrive at your destination faster. If time is the same, then cutting through a straight line in any direction may yield the same effect. Getting there is the hard part. Also, I'm talking completely out of my [wagon] right now so this is probably full of holes.

No, that's the gist of it. I made this picture:

lightspeed.jpg

The blue/green object represents point A, and the red object represents object B. The black lines indicate this "crumpled" space while yellow represents light traveling around it. And finally purple represents the displacement of light. So, in theory then, should you take the purple route you would beat the yellow route and you could "see" events or objects that existed moments ago, depending on by how much you "beat" the yellow route.

hopesolopatriot.jpg