Time Travel, Possible or Not?

Riku3220

Freezing is likely the only possible way, but why would anyone do it? If it does work, it's a one way trip.
That's not time travel.

That would make time travel going BACK in time only, which is impossible.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freezing is likely the only possible way, but why would anyone do it? If it does work, it's a one way trip.
That's not time travel.

That would make time travel going BACK in time only, which is impossible.

No, but freezing isn't time travel. You're still feeling (for lack of a better word) the effects of time, you're just inhibiting the rate at which you decay.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

The way it works is that at lightspeed travel time for you is slower than those around you. You don't progress in time near as fast as they do. So you could travel forward but not back to where you departed.

OH S***! He/she/it is back!

mass cannot travel at or above the speed of light

But really, how can we be sure of that? We can't do it now, and as far as we know we will never be able to, but realistically we hold an insignificant portion of the knowledge in the entire Universe.

So really, anything is possible.

You should really read a bit about Einstein. Anything that has mass requires infinite energy to travel at the speed of light. Adding kinetic energy to an object with mass will have less and less of an effect on it's velocity as it approaches the speed of light. When it converges on zero effect, you have used infinite kinetic energy, and the velocity = c. Going beyond it can't be done.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

The only known plausible way would be the folding of time. Much like holding a pen to a piece of paper, and moving the pen to the other side by folding the paper. Obviously it's theoretical.

Paradox's, such as the grandfather paradox has not been solved, so theoretically any time travel shouldn't have any interference with anything, but how do you know you haven't changed something by observing it?

Then again it's possible to change the future by traveling back, because the future hasn't happened. Unless you consider determinism, but then again it could be pre determined that that future be changed... :wall:

Some paradox's won't effect anything. For example if you travel time to fix a problem, which creates the problem that you originally traveled time for. After the issue is solved, the person's present self can move on.

You guys should Einstein's Theories of Relativity. Time travel is possible should something surpass the speed of c, light in a vacuum. In addition, it doesn't have to be faster than light, but travel a farther distance, or in this case, displacement.

Mass increases with velocity. This means there would need to be more and more force needed to keep accelerating, until an infinite amount of energy is needed to reach the speed of light.

The only real way to go faster than the speed of light would be through a wormhole. Much like walking walking through a tunnel may be faster than running around the mountain. Which brings me back to the thing with the pen and paper.

That only proves that it's impossible to go back in time.

well time travel forward has been proven, at least to the extent of moving at high speeds slowing down time.

If we are going to be very specific; theres no way of being sure that you can travel 0 time units forward while the universe moves forward x time units at this time. As clarification by x time units I mean everything moving forward under the known laws of relativity.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

Anyone here talking with any certainty about the possibility of backwards time travel is assuming they know more than they do. Whether or not it will be possible remains a mystery for now. Forwards travel seems possible.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

honestly you can probably travel foward but not back ill give an example and they already did this with i beilive a particle or atom. think of a whirl pool the top rotates quite fast but is nothing in comparison to the speed at which anything is moving at the bottem of it. thats part of the concept the experiment went into

OTMSigXD.png

The only known plausible way would be the folding of time. Much like holding a pen to a piece of paper, and moving the pen to the other side by folding the paper. Obviously it's theoretical.

Paradox's, such as the grandfather paradox has not been solved, so theoretically any time travel shouldn't have any interference with anything, but how do you know you haven't changed something by observing it?

Then again it's possible to change the future by traveling back, because the future hasn't happened. Unless you consider determinism, but then again it could be pre determined that that future be changed... :wall:

Some paradox's won't effect anything. For example if you travel time to fix a problem, which creates the problem that you originally traveled time for. After the issue is solved, the person's present self can move on.

You guys should Einstein's Theories of Relativity. Time travel is possible should something surpass the speed of c, light in a vacuum. In addition, it doesn't have to be faster than light, but travel a farther distance, or in this case, displacement.

Mass increases with velocity. This means there would need to be more and more force needed to keep accelerating, until an infinite amount of energy is needed to reach the speed of light.

The only real way to go faster than the speed of light would be through a wormhole. Much like walking walking through a tunnel may be faster than running around the mountain. Which brings me back to the thing with the pen and paper.

That's what I suggested in the last sentence; I wasn't suggesting that anything can go past the speed of light.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

We can move through time.

But we can't go back upon events that have already occurred.

Hey, we, relative to the rest of the Universe, may even be going back in time right now.

Of course, we don't see things go in rewound motion because this is the natural state for us.

Time, as an absolute dimension of the Universe, can be curved and traversed.

But events that have already occurred? Well... They've already occurred.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here..."

Anyone here talking with any certainty about the possibility of backwards time travel is assuming they know more than they do. Whether or not it will be possible remains a mystery for now. Forwards travel seems possible.

That's what excites me. Before Einstein, forward travel was a mystery as well. Who knows which next brilliant mind will theories how to travel back in time? \'

hiccup.png

I read somewhere that it was possible to build some device to transport you back in time, but not to a time before the device was made.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

I read somewhere that it was possible to build some device to transport you back in time, but not to a time before the device was made.

Such a statement definetely requires citing a source.

But I'll call nonsense beforehand.

Such a statement definetely requires citing a source.

But I'll call nonsense beforehand.

The source was a science fiction novel/movie/tv show of some kind. I remember hearing it too but not in a realistic discussion of whether time travel was possible or not.

I'm reading Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time right now and in the introduction he mentioned talking about time travel later in the book. I've always dismissed time travel as being impossible (unless you want to count relativistic effects) but if Stephen Hawking says maybe, then I might say maybe also.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Time travel is a paradox in itself isn't it?

To travel to a time before you existed means you don't exist yet and thus can't exist.

To travel to a time after you existed means you have already existed and have ceased to exist and thus can't exist.

So using that reasoning it would only be possible to time travel in the time when one still existed. Of course this is assuming all religions are wrong and you don't exist after death or before you are born. (and that time is real and not just a tool made by humans)

To travel to a time before you existed means you don't exist yet and thus can't exist.

To travel to a time after you existed means you have already existed and have ceased to exist and thus can't exist.

You can exist, because it's your present self doing the traveling. If you travel to before you were born, you haven't been born yet in that time stream, but your present self has. The 'future' would become your present self's past because you have already grown up and traveled time.

You can exist, because it's your present self doing the traveling. If you travel to before you were born, you haven't been born yet in that time stream, but your present self has. The 'future' would become your present self's past because you have already grown up and traveled time.

They actually explained this really well on Lost.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Well I never watched lost.

You can travel back in time, you just can't change anything, because it's already happened, and nothing can change it.

I forget exactly how it works. but they did explain time travel really really well on lost.

You can travel back in time, you just can't change anything, because it's already happened, and nothing can change it.

I forget exactly how it works. but they did explain time travel really really well on lost.

Well if by someway you could travel into the past why couldn't you change anything? You are traveling back before something happened so you can change it since it hasn't happened. Unless you are going off the theory of fate. That no matter what you do you will end up doing what it was you were supposed to do for that event to take place. If the former is true though you couldn't return because the time you were trying to get to would no longer exist.

Well if by someway you could travel into the past why couldn't you change anything? You are traveling back before something happened so you can change it since it hasn't happened. Unless you are going off the theory of fate. That no matter what you do you will end up doing what it was you were supposed to do for that event to take place. If the former is true though you couldn't return because the time you were trying to get to would no longer exist.

Because what you did in the past has already been recorded now. So killing a butterfly would keep things normal just like not killing a butterfly.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg