Reading

AndyPandy

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disliked Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Maybe I'll try reading that and form an opinion... But I still have at least 7 other books to read first.

Before you read Nineteen Eighty-Four, read Animal Farm. It is lighter and will help ease you into the style. That said, I didn't really like Nineteen Eighty-Four, and much preferred Animal Farm. Lighter, more enjoyable and I love the satirical style.

I had to study the same book in english two years in a row, the other day. And it was a horrible book.

Anyone read it? Called Children of the Dust

lampost_sig_stark.png

Maybe I'll try reading that and form an opinion... But I still have at least 7 other books to read first.

Before you read Nineteen Eighty-Four, read Animal Farm. It is lighter and will help ease you into the style. That said, I didn't really like Nineteen Eighty-Four, and much preferred Animal Farm. Lighter, more enjoyable and I love the satirical style.

Ok, 8 others. I just have to get into reading again, so I can finish the 7 I already have.

Ok, 8 others. I just have to get into reading again, so I can finish the 7 I already have.

I had to study the same book in english two years in a row, the other day. And it was a horrible book.

Yep. That's a horrible book. It just didn't keep me interested.

It seems to me any books we have to study for school, are generally some of the dullest I've ever read. Mainly Stone Cold.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Yep. That's a horrible book. It just didn't keep me interested.

It seems to me any books we have to study for school, are generally some of the dullest I've ever read. Mainly Stone Cold.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Well, time to dump all of my favorite books here.

Anything by Ken Follet, if you're mature enough to not freak out over his descriptiveness. Sure, his books would be rated R, if books had ratings. But they do, (especially Pillars of the Earth and World Without End) paint enthralling and often accurate pictures of their subjects.

Also, Deltora Quest for young boys who are first venturing into the world of literature. The books are short, but that help with short attention spans.

I'm also enjoying Conn Iggulden, if you want a nice read about Julius Ceasar or Genghis Khan.

Thats about all of the non-cliches I can think up for now.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Well, time to dump all of my favorite books here.

Anything by Ken Follet, if you're mature enough to not freak out over his descriptiveness. Sure, his books would be rated R, if books had ratings. But they do, (especially Pillars of the Earth and World Without End) paint enthralling and often accurate pictures of their subjects.

Also, Deltora Quest for young boys who are first venturing into the world of literature. The books are short, but that help with short attention spans.

I'm also enjoying Conn Iggulden, if you want a nice read about Julius Ceasar or Genghis Khan.

Thats about all of the non-cliches I can think up for now.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

[/hide]

i can never get to sleep without reading for at least an hour or two. I read mostly fantasy and the occasional sci fi here and there.

I just finished reading R.A. salvatore's new book "the dame" which is his third book in the saga of first king series. All three of them were great books because salvatore is great with political and religouse conflict as well as keeping his books action packed. The only thing i hated about it is that the ending was such a cliff hanger and now i have to wait a few months for his next one to come out. :ohnoes:

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

i can never get to sleep without reading for at least an hour or two. I read mostly fantasy and the occasional sci fi here and there.

I just finished reading R.A. salvatore's new book "the dame" which is his third book in the saga of first king series. All three of them were great books because salvatore is great with political and religouse conflict as well as keeping his books action packed. The only thing i hated about it is that the ending was such a cliff hanger and now i have to wait a few months for his next one to come out. :ohnoes:

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Never. Only for school...

You, my friend, need to start doing it. Sure, its slow and painful at first, but once you can read faster, you'll enjoy it more, which means you'll do it more, which means you'll be faster, etc....

Seriously, a willingness to read will help you in life. After all, most ways of finding out information involve reading.

[/hide]

You, my friend, need to start doing it. Sure, its slow and painful at first, but once you can read faster, you'll enjoy it more, which means you'll do it more, which means you'll be faster, etc....

Seriously, a willingness to read will help you in life. After all, most ways of finding out information involve reading.

All ways to find information do, only some do not require one to read oneself.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Apparently Confucius had a nice saying, "No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance."

I liked Animal Farm, by the way. And my dad dug out his books on the day I wrote my post. Strange.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

You should start. It can really help bring up your ACT/SAT scores if you are in the U.S. Plus, it's enjoyable. Just find a genre you like and find a few books to try out.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Apparently Confucius had a nice saying, "No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance."

I liked Animal Farm, by the way. And my dad dug out his books on the day I wrote my post. Strange.

Ooh I read that once. of course, I was in sixth grade at the time, so I didn't fully grasp it, but hey. My dad has way too many paperbacks, especially submarine novels. He has more submerine novels than the average library (I'd guess around twenty-thirty).

[/hide]

All ways to find information do, only some do not require one to read oneself.

What about first-hand? If you see it for yourself you are not reading it.

• 3 weeks later...