The Running Thread

noble_aloof

@Haa_Haa- that's a decent starting pace, but not really race-worthy. Our entire 4x400 team runs your pace for 10x the distance. I'm not a sprinter, so I'm not sure how well you'd do in any of the sprints.

If it's 5.18 with blocks and a reaction start, i don't think many a 400-runner could hit that pace within the first 40 yards.

without reaction times (as the NFL does) only 9-10 people have run under 4,3 in the NFL drafts since 2000 or something. reaction times are usually 0.2-0,4 seconds if you're not trained on starts.

It's realy all about technique though. as i've posted earlier, my pb on 40 yards (we've never practiced these, only run them singly to measure times) was 5.3 late April. We had a sprinting coach come coach us on starting technique for a single session, and i pb'd at 4.9 no reaction time the next day (running another next week sometime i think). Hopefully that starting translates to my tennis game :D

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Birchmount Park

What school do you go to? I'm over at Sir Wilfrid Laruier C.I.

Never mind, find you in the standings you posted. You go to Woburn, right?

Yup I go to Woburn. Did you run at regionals? If so what events did you do?

FMAsig.jpg

[If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

o hey. my cold turned into bronchitis.. i'll still be running districts though since i've had it for over a week now.

I have been running in cross training shoes, similar to:

new-balance-mens-cross-training-shoes.jpg

Until now, these have served me well. The longest runs I ever did for my cardio were 20-30 minutes with high intensity intervals. Usually though, I didnt even run for cardio but did the bike or elliptical so the shoe mattered even less of the time.

Now, however, my girlfriend and I are getting into running (outside) for long distances, and I feel like I need a different shoe now. The crosstrainers feel a little bulky...or something. Any ideas from the running crowd?

asics are considered the mainstream of running shoes. they also tend to fit the best right out of the box. if your a lighter runner looking for a good shoe look into their GT/gel line, but if you want more cushioning (better safe than sorry) check out the gel nimbus or cumulus.

2:00.8 800 for the win @ fresh/soph conference@@@@@@@@yay@@@@

thats a great time. our 800 talent here only sees 2-3 guys dipping under 2 minutes in the seedings, one sophomore and two seniors. in districts i'm seeded in the slow heat where the fasest time is 2:08 so provided i have a good day i might be able to win my heat :D

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

@ tortilliachp, we have another guy block us with his feet usually, but i don't think anybody was that time for me. also, the coach started the stopwatch when we started running.

I've never really ran competitively, and he showed us how to start that day :P

Rune Tips Merchanting Site!

"rune tips cc" if you would like to learn some tricks of the merching trade! We have a great community as well.

Each of us a cell of awareness/Imperfect and incomplete/Genetic blends with uncertain ends/On a fortune hunt thats far too fleet

Birchmount Park

Nah, I don't run for my school , I would, but rugby gets in the way of track, and football gets in the way of cross country. I was kind of disappointed that Woburn didn't have a Senior rugby team, you guys had a good one last year.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Our varsity 800 was ridiculous, my friend was seeded 7th with a 2:00.3

Yea my teammate ( sophmore but runs varsity) got 1:59.1 at conference and didn't even get in top 8.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

Finished my track season with PR's of 4:53 for the 1600 and 10:51 for the 3200. In just 1 year I went from 11:25 to 10:51 for the 2 mile. About 20 seconds in 1 year for the 1600 too.

Birchmount Park

Nah, I don't run for my school , I would, but rugby gets in the way of track, and football gets in the way of cross country. I was kind of disappointed that Woburn didn't have a Senior rugby team, you guys had a good one last year.

Yeah I don't even know what happened to the senior Rugby team for spring/summer season. I know they lost their top players like Rob Cerps (tall (6'4 ish) white guy, blonde hair, built) and Ben Harmer (tall white guy, blonde hair, somewhat built) because they were 5th years, but I don't know why they couldn't form a team during the spring/summer season. My friend fractured his leg in the fall Rugby season though- the worst three months of his life!

FMAsig.jpg

[If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Managed to get to 7.8 on the beep test and passed my Army Reserves requirement. threw up afterwards: had pizza for lunch. terrible idea

So, now I need to be able to do 1.2km run in 6 mins and a 2km run in 10 minutes within 4-8 weeks so I do well at Army Camp, as well as starting out Parkour.

Popoto.~<3

I'll be running the mile at sectionals; hoping for a sub 4:40 time. It's pretty likely that I'm a team alternate for the 4x800, 4x400, or both, so I'll be skipping two days of school, enjoying free food courtesy of the wonderful taxpayers, and watching some awesome races :smile:

I really shouldn't get my hopes up though.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

I'll be running the mile at sectionals; hoping for a sub 4:40 time. It's pretty likely that I'm a team alternate for the 4x800, 4x400, or both, so I'll be skipping two days of school, enjoying free food courtesy of the wonderful taxpayers, and watching some awesome races :smile:

I really shouldn't get my hopes up though.

I'm running at sectionals for the 4X800. I'm kinda proud to be 1 of the only 3 freshmen to be running there from our team. Even if its only because we don't have a great distance team :razz: Goodluck to you :thumbsup:

we have districts tomorrow, which i suppose is like sectionals for you guys. top 6 in each event medal.

we're seeded 7th for the 4x8 and only half the teams seeded in front of us we've run against. one of my teammates has been partying and smoking the past two weekends and the other can barely run due to shin splints. so, unfortunately it seems as if our success is going to come down to our anchor and i running low 2's. number 1,2, and 3 seed we stand no chance at beating, but 4,5,6 are within 7 seconds of our seed time. also within 7 seconds of our seed time are teams 8-11. so its going to be a tight, tough, balls to the wall, dog eat dog, 4x8. i'm pumped for it.

as already mentioned i have no shot at medaling in the 800 but i have an okay chance at winning my heat. we'll see how everything unfolds.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Today was PERFECTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT running weather. It had just rained today, so it cooled down. Yum. Sidewalks were muddy, but still.

Also, anyone recommend running shoes for the *casual* 1-2 mile a day runner? I need something cheap, and available in size 14 double wide >.< damn big feet.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Today was PERFECTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT running weather. It had just rained today, so it cooled down. Yum. Sidewalks were muddy, but still.

Also, anyone recommend running shoes for the *casual* 1-2 mile a day runner? I need something cheap, and available in size 14 double wide >.< damn big feet.

For me, cheap is around $80-$125. Then again, I mostly have Asics or Nike. Using my Nikes more than Asics though.

GOING TO STATE@ as an alternate :thumbup:

Ran a 4:39 mile, wasn't a great race. Our first lap was faster than the fast heat, and I was 2:10 at the half. If I paced better I could've ran sub 4:30, I think. I did make up about 60 meters in the last 100 though (just shows I had too much left).

1ekn0o.jpg

GOING TO STATE@ as an alternate :thumbup:

Ran a 4:39 mile, wasn't a great race. Our first lap was faster than the fast heat, and I was 2:10 at the half. If I paced better I could've ran sub 4:30, I think. I did make up about 60 meters in the last 100 though (just shows I had too much left).

Sweeet.... state. Should be fun, even as an alternate.. you get to go and relax. :thumbsup:

Today i ran about 6k, in about 45 mins, slow i know, however, I am going to keep trying to run faster, get some proper shoes, and some running shorts, and really up my regime when I move in a month.

-Destroy Topham-

Punk_Man666.png

Punk_man666.png

Today i ran about 6k, in about 45 mins, slow i know, however, I am going to keep trying to run faster, get some proper shoes, and some running shorts, and really up my regime when I move in a month.

Glad to hear you're getting started :smile:

1ekn0o.jpg

Track is over....Cross Country has yet to begin. I find myself liking XC more, it is way more relaxed/chill and there is no pressure in it, unlike track.

And do you guys find that when you run, yeah you get tired, but after your pace is set and you have been established as tired, it really doesn't get worse after that? Your tiredness stays at the same level for a good while, until you accelerate or go miles further. I worded that weird, but it is true.

Track is over....Cross Country has yet to begin. I find myself liking XC more, it is way more relaxed/chill and there is no pressure in it, unlike track.

And do you guys find that when you run, yeah you get tired, but after your pace is set and you have been established as tired, it really doesn't get worse after that? Your tiredness stays at the same level for a good while, until you accelerate or go miles further. I worded that weird, but it is true.

sounds to me like a description of running at slightly below your aerobic capacity.

sounds to me like a description of running at slightly below your aerobic capacity.

So when you run you get more and more tired with each step?

40m (no reaction time) 5,3 (April 2010)

100m (with reaction time and blocks) 10,93 (April 2010)

400m: 52,22 ( March 2010)

800m: 1:58 (!) (April 2010)

Mile: 4:30 (April 2010)

3km: 9:59 (!) (April 2010)

5km: 17:23 (!) (April 2010)

8km 29:37 (during the 10km)

10km 37:47 (April 2010, probably a bad time as it's the first time i've run the 10k in a logn time)

half-marathon: 1:27:54 June 2009 (haven't run since)

It's still been too long since I've run a 15k or a 20k to give accurate times.

finished the last of my running times again today. Updated times a month later:

40m (no reaction time) 4,83 (May 2010, starting technique training realllllly helped here)

100m (with reaction time and blocks) 10,47 (May 2010, starting technique training realllllly helped here)

400m: 51,09 (May 2010)

800m: 1:56 (May 2010)

Mile: 4:23 (May 2010)

3km: 9:47 (May 2010)

5km: 16:54 (May 2010)

8km 27:55 (during the 10km, May 2010)

10km 35:39 (May 2010)

half-marathon: 1:27:54 June 2009 (haven't run since)

It's still been too long since I've run a 15k or a 20k to give accurate times.

still improving well, although i'm gaining weight from the physical training, and actual play :)

outdoor courts now also clay-ready.

So when you run you get more and more tired with each step?

I've seen footage of me running, just as we do video-analysis of tennis strokes, and footwork at different times during matching (as you get more tired). My technique deteriorates over time when running, with less upward force from every step. My frequency doesn't alter. so yes, over a 10km i take the same amount of steps a minute, but each step moves me a shorter distance forwards later on in the distance, when i'm at aerobic capacity. When being forced to run a certain tempo (sub-aerobic capacity) we run the same 10km, with the same running footage, but the height (and therefore also distance) of my steps hold the same rate through the whole 10km. That's at least when i get the feeling i could keep going and going and going, although i do get tired over time (energy stores lowering + dehydration over short distances).

was that what either of you meant?

Our 4x800 won state with 7:47. We basically just stayed on or in first and let our last guy outkick the others. Breaks the 33 year old school record by 8 seconds. :smile:

*I didn't run, I was just the alternate*

1ekn0o.jpg

Our 4x800 won state with 7:47. We basically just stayed on or in first and let our last guy outkick the others. Breaks the 33 year old school record by 8 seconds. :smile:

*I didn't run, I was just the alternate*

Glenbard East?