JAFFA CAKES

20Rice04

Before you start to read this, please keep in mind that this is NOT in anyway related to RS it's just a bit of fun. I know it kind of breaks the debate club rules but I have no idea where else to post this, as I said, just for fun! :P :D

Okay, so me and my GF had a really big argument. And it's not of the usual kind, like a couples fall out, it's over this:

are Jaffa cakes a cake or biscuit?

there are papers written over this argument and McVities (company who make the CAKES) were taken to court in 1991 as they classed their product as a cake to avoid the 15% tax on production of biscuits. In the end they convinced the court that their product was a a Cake.

HOWEVER the argument rages to this day, the lines are drawn, which side shall you take?

(I'm cake and my gf's biscuit, when arguing please bare this in mind, she's a woman, so she knows nothing.........I KID)

Look guys... I absolutely must be a mass baby-seal murderer!

the base is a sponge CAKE. therefore i'd say it was a cake.

99-7.gif

Most Difficult Quiz

Rare drops; tzhaar-ket-om: 6 tzhaar-xil-ak: 4 tzhaar-xil-ek: 4 tzhaar-mej-tal: 1 Obsidian cape: 18 Dragon Plateskirt: 4 Dragon Platelegs: 7 Sq Shield left half: 1 Dragon Boots: 1 Dragon Medium Helmet: 11 Draconic Visage: 1 Zamorak Spear: 3 Steam Battlestaff: 1 Godsword Shards: 3 Bandos Chestplate: 1 Bandos Tassets: 1 Abyssal Whip: 1

OK

Having worked in the "industry" some time ago, I think I can furnish you with the answer.

The difference is based on what happens when the items go stale.

Cakes get hard when they go stale.

Biscuits get soft when they go stale.

Jaffa Cakes are in fact cakes, as the sponge gets hard when stale.

Now the science bit! This is based on the ERH (Equilibrium Relative Humidity) of the various products. Cakes generally have an ERH of 70 - 85%, some as high as 90%. After a time the cakes lose moisture to the air, making them harder.

Biscuits, on the other hand, have a much lower ERH, normaly in the 60%'s. These gain water from the air over time, making them softer.

Hope this helps.

OK

Having worked in the "industry" some time ago, I think I can furnish you with the answer.

Now the science bit! This is based on the ERH (Equilibrium Relative Humidity) of the various products. Cakes generally have an ERH of 70 - 85%, some as high as 90%. After a time the cakes lose moisture to the air, making them harder.

Biscuits, on the other hand, have a much lower ERH, normaly in the 60%'s. These gain water from the air over time, making them softer.

Hope this helps.

I never realised that people actually gave scientific definitions to biscuits and cakes. Good job, though, it makes sense.

A Jaffa Cake is a cake that is used as a biscuit, like a tomato is a fruit that is used as a vegetable.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Cake, for the reason they go hard when left for a while. I hate jaffa cakes though so they can all burn for all I care.

ezegyc.png

That's why you're on the TZDF blackdawn. Even your balls can tear zombies to shreds.

Brilliant thread, jaffa cakes are brillll.

i would say they are cakes. Biscuits are harder than jaffa cakes.

iteme3721.jpg

OK

Hope this helps.

I never realised that people actually gave scientific definitions to biscuits and cakes. Good job, though, it makes sense.

A Jaffa Cake is a cake that is used as a biscuit, like a tomato is a fruit that is used as a vegetable.

But it's still a fruit.

In my opinion, it is indeed a cake.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

Of all the things in existance, Jaffa cakes are some of my favourite things ever. The answer to your question lies in the name. THEY ARE DELICIOUS CAKE.

pixel34fw.png

OK

Hope this helps.

But it's still a fruit.

In my opinion, it is indeed a cake.

Exactly. I would have thought that the name would have been a dead giveaway, in any case.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

(I'm cake and my gf's biscuit, when arguing please bare this in mind, she's a woman, so she knows nothing.........I KID)

I would hope your kidding ::'

Jaffa Cakes are a cake, sized like a biscuit just to confuse us all.

OK

Hope this helps.

=D> +5 Informative

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

Second, the 'Orangey bit' is made from apricots.

you are wrong. They are half price at mi supermarket so i have a couple of boxes next to me and they don't mention apricot. it says on the box ...,Concentrated orange juice (8% orange juice equivalent),...

iteme3721.jpg

you are wrong. They are half price at mi supermarket so i have a couple of boxes next to me and they don't mention apricot. it says on the box ...,Concentrated orange juice (8% orange juice equivalent),...

the orangey bit is made from Apricot pulp, sugar and a squirt of tangerine oil.

the orangey bit is made from Apricot pulp, sugar and a squirt of tangerine oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_Cakes#Specifications :

"According to the list of ingredients on a 2008 label, Jaffa Cakes in fact contain no apricot or tangerine, and are made with orange juice, an assertion protected by UK food labelling laws."

It could be different in different countries. Here in Finland it (it's officially a cookie here) contains orange flavoured marmalade. It's manufactured by an LU brand and not McVitie's though.

Rao.png