Tip.It Times: 17 May 2009

n_odie

For those saying about the godsword killing aviansies, if you read it, its explaining that he/she is much poorer than the kill stealer, and using a godsword as an example of what the kill stealer can afford and he/she can't. Not that the kill stealer is using a godsword.

I will refer you to the 6th Paragraph down:

Quote:

I will tell you of a time (sounding like a really old lady, there). I was minding my own business, killing Aviantese spawning in 2 specific points, attacking 1 while my fire titan attacks the other. After a while of peace & quiet (which is what I love about this place), a player logs in with a whopping 135 combat level. He's wearing full Armadyl with a Sara GodSword and a Zammy stole (cape-thing from the treasure trails), a fury and Bandos Boots. He then proceeds to kill a few higher-leveled Aviantese, and once those have been finished off, he then turns around, attacks my Aviansie level-73, and KOs it. Yes, you read correctly, killed it in one hit! (End of Quote)

Ah, i had only seen the part quoted on the first page where the writer was talking about the other time i think. Yeah, i see what you all mean now.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide=]
For those saying about the godsword killing aviansies, if you read it, its explaining that he/she is much poorer than the kill stealer, and using a godsword as an example of what the kill stealer can afford and he/she can't. Not that the kill stealer is using a godsword.

I will refer you to the 6th Paragraph down:

Quote:

I will tell you of a time (sounding like a really old lady, there). I was minding my own business, killing Aviantese spawning in 2 specific points, attacking 1 while my fire titan attacks the other. After a while of peace & quiet (which is what I love about this place), a player logs in with a whopping 135 combat level. He's wearing full Armadyl with a Sara GodSword and a Zammy stole (cape-thing from the treasure trails), a fury and Bandos Boots. He then proceeds to kill a few higher-leveled Aviantese, and once those have been finished off, he then turns around, attacks my Aviansie level-73, and KOs it. Yes, you read correctly, killed it in one hit! (End of Quote)

[/hide]

Ah, i had only seen the part quoted on the first page where the writer was talking about the other time i think. Yeah, i see what you all mean now.

Always happy to help. :-)

[hide=]He's wearing full Armadyl with a Sara GodSword and a Zammy stole (cape-thing from the treasure trails), a fury and Bandos Boots. He then proceeds to kill a few higher-leveled Aviantese, and once those have been finished off, he then turns around, attacks my Aviansie level-73, and KOs it. Yes, you read correctly, killed it in one hit![/hide]

LET ME REPEAT IN CAPS, YOU CANNOT MELEE AVIANSIES, IT'S NOT POSSIBLE, SO IT MUST BE FICTIONAL/A GREAT LIE. LYING IS A SIN, WHICH IS BAD, BEING FICTIONAL MEANS IT'S UTTER CRAP, WHICH IS BAD ALSO, SOMEONE CORRECT IT PLEASE! I SERIOUSLY DOUBT A LEVEL 125 WOULD BE ABLE TO NAME A ZAMMY STOLE YET NOT KNOW WHAT IT IS -.-.

To Mods - Yes I know my text is annoying but I need to get the meaning across. Since when you could use a SGS and KO an AVIANSIE with it I have no idea.

IF THE STORY IS CHANGED TO KILLING SPIRITUAL MAGES OR SOME CRAP THEN IT'S UNDERSTANDABLE BUT I GUESS A RECENT ARTICLE ON THAT SUBJECT WAS ALREADY MADE.

It's not just your text that's annoying...

I started playing in the year 2001 (or the end of 2000, the age factor's hard work here)

Runescape Classic Beta wasn't released until January 4, 2001. ;)

Man that was an awesome read once again, and I really liked the Obama one, freaking hilarious. :lol: I also found the PVP one very interesting. :thumbup:

Big_Stingman.png

I never post on Tip.It Times threads, but this time I feel I must. The first two articles are crazy rants. The featured article came off as some guy who used to kill mith dragons for the over-priced helms. Now that they have fallen to an appropriate price considering their stats, he's out of a job and decides to blame pvp. You whine when there isn't pvp, you whine when there is...seriously... Then he decides he needs more support, so he bashed Godwars. You ask what makes Godwars so special? I'll tell you. The bosses are WAY harder to kill. Go fight any boss there and still tell people it's comparable to mithril dragons.

To Magehat, I'm sorry, but no one knows what you're talking about. First off, you can't kill avianses with melee. You just can't. Anyone who sees you standing there with a whip trying to hit avianses is going to take advantage. Aside from that fact (which happens to be a rather large problem) is switching worlds that big of a deal that you put an article in here about it? *points to rants forum* As for your question, "are unwritten rules binding?" the answer seems to be no. A multi area is designed to be multi-combat, not unwritten-rule-single-combat-zone.

JagEx isn't your mother folks. They aren't going to make a magical way to enforce unwritten "rules", because they already did, they are called single combat zones. I'm not defending kill stealers, but you can't just step into a game and expect all of the annoying people to have dissapeared.

I eagerly await an explanation of what Magehat was talking about, preferably from her personally. I think many people would like to know. :thumbdown:

the other three articles really had no effect on me because i do not do those things

but the kill_life article was hilarious :thumbsup:

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

lol that obama one was funny, really like him to do something like that. anyway, thats how i made my first 10 mil, i taxed that stupid democrat to noobiness :lol: anyway, the other articles were really good, loved reading the pvp. i miss the really miss the fictional articles....

Greecl: agreed, mister Eskimo steroid wrestler black guy thingy.

Lite191: =] lol

Greecl: this is going on my siggy on tippit.

lite191: actually im a ninja Eskimo wrestler on steroids with a godsword… on fire.

Greecl: eating a Klondike bar. =p

lite191: yes but it melted=[

Greecl: aw…wish you weren’t on fire now, huh?

lite191 :no.

lite191: Still freaking awesome.me

Greecl: or as Greecl would say… Frosted flakes are better!!!

lite191: agreed.

The first two were mostly either common sense or complete stupidity (see the discussions going on about the grammatical errors and the aviansie fighting).

The third was good. Even though I don't PVP, it's always interesting to see what people who actually pk and have some level of respect in the community think about the "unspoken rules of PVP."

And the fourth, which I didn't even read the title of until I read wachtwoord's post on the first page saying that I had to read it, was absolutely HILARIOUS. =D> =D> =D> For next week, I request an interview with Pelosi, Reid, and/or, possibly, Barney Frank (Personally, I would prefer an interview with Pelosi. Also, be sure to include the lisp if you do an interview with Barney). :lol:

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

In regards to the article on PvP:

Why 'shouldn't' the rarer items like Dragon Full and DFS be obtainable from PvP kills? The article strongly suggests that those drops (among others) should remain PvM, but that is a very one-sided opinion. Before, they were only obtainable (by they, I mean the Dragon Full specificly) from Mithril Dragons, and now they have 2 sources in the game. PvP is a big part of RS, whether some of us like it or not, so why should those who prefer killing players than NPCs be left out from gifts like these. Granted, from the sounds of things the drop-rate is more common than from Mith Dragons (I wouldn't know personally, I don't really PK, but looking at the price fall I'd guess they are) but really? Like someone else posted, they are far over-priced compared to their usefullness. Dragon is pretty much obsolete compared with the more powerful (and ironically cheaper) armours available, and it saddens me that poorer players aren't really able to use Dragon as the next appropriate step on there way to becoming better equipped, but that's a rant for another time.

Oh, and the reason GWD were excluded? Erm, my guess would be because those drops are from BOSS monsters, which no matter however which way you put it, Mith Dragons are not.

The article on KS:

Despite the inconsistencies on meleeing Avianses (which I didn't realise until I read this thread :oops: ), all I really wanted to say is that if you choose a good money-making tactic (especially one this popular) then you should really just suck it up when someone comes along, likely better equipped than you, and starts killing everything. If the article had concentrated on KSing in all forms (some cases where KSing actually makes little sense besides just generally annoying other players) then it may have made more of an argument but really, GWD is like a magnet to this sort of behaviour and tbh it is a case of 'if you can't beat them, join them'.

The article on Prayer:

There's nothing to say on this one. Nothing. Prayer is a skill (that was here from the get-go of RS I believe) and as such it should be expected that people will utilise their abilities. Prayer is by no means a cheap or fun skill to train, so why should someone who's possibly endured hours of this mind-numbing training then be expected to throw their rewards in the proverbial trash can. I honestly don't see why some people see this as nooby: if someone is losing a fight, of course they're going to use prayer if they haven't already as it may help them turn the battle. And if they utilise prayer before even entering the fight with you, then surely you can't complain since they'll run out faster than you do. If they pot it back up, yes that may be a pain but in the end you're costing them money and supplies, and that only lasts for so long.

The Obama article:

Pretty lulzy, but it dragged on a bit. The same thing repeating may be good, but repetition gets old. Maybe if the author had thrown in other 'things' that Obama did with his RS career could have been even better :D

gotta admit that the obama thing had predictable humor, with stereotypes that weren't not well known. it's just a step above using the lowest form of humor- puns. did i mention it was predictable?

i'm sorry but this humor has been beaten up and killed many times and just seeing this is a bad reminder. pretty terrible. :thumbdown:

1004.png

Wow, watching this thread is better than pro wrestling! =D>

This thread is probably better than pro wrestling because the fights here are real (And the boobs).

gotta admit that the obama thing had predictable humor, with stereotypes that weren't not well known. it's just a step above using the lowest form of humor- puns. did i mention it was predictable?

i'm sorry but this humor has been beaten up and killed many times and just seeing this is a bad reminder. pretty terrible. :thumbdown:

Since when did puns become so hated. You know, if they outlawed puns, only outlaws would have puns. 8-) :lol:

Maybe I just have a really weird sense of humor, but puns and plays on words are what make up some of my favorite jokes and quotes.

Sorry for the off-topicness.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

It's saying that she did melee it. Which is a great horrible lie. Although, the point behind it is a good point. People need to truly grow up and learn some respect. Yes this is a game, but there are people behind each character, and when people act with words and just are straight up rude, such as the PvP Praying article and then the untruthful example of the Kill Stealing article, it's just unnecessary. You can continue to world hop or just pray yourself or get off the game yourself.

I never post on Tip.It Times threads, but this time I feel I must. The first two articles are crazy rants. The featured article came off as some guy who used to kill mith dragons for the over-priced helms. Now that they have fallen to an appropriate price considering their stats, he's out of a job and decides to blame pvp. You whine when there isn't pvp, you whine when there is...seriously... Then he decides he needs more support, so he bashed Godwars. You ask what makes Godwars so special? I'll tell you. The bosses are WAY harder to kill. Go fight any boss there and still tell people it's comparable to mithril dragons.

I agree that the helms have fallen to an appropriate price for their stats, but what makes Godwars so special? Nothing. The only way you can do it and make money overall is to use a group. And with coinshare, you're getting the split. You can average just as many kills at Mithril Dragons as at Bandos or Zamorak Godwars when soloing. And the drops at Mithril Dragons aren't very appealing besides the Visage and DFH, while there are plenty of drops at Godwars.

Yes you need a kill count to enter the boss chamber, but each boss has a relatively easy monster to kill, such as Goblins and Imps. So it's truly not that special.

I agree with one thing, "boss" monster drops should not have been released into PvP as a drop as it truly did ruin the worth of a lot of items. And it enticed most of the "cheating" such as the 26K trick and the BoB (Beast of Burden) trick as it was an easy get fast quick thing in Runescape that Jagex overlooked. The BoB thing was abusing the system yes, but the 26K trick truly isn't. Show me a rule where it says you couldn't do that before players started complaining?

Bottom line, Jagex needs to think about the "effects" of their actions and updates before they place them, which is lacking. Also their testing the updates out for bugs lately seems to be lacking. Players need to stop demanding the updates and let Jagex work and get things right the first time, allowing them to make the updates that much better.

In regards to the article on PvP:

Why 'shouldn't' the rarer items like Dragon Full and DFS be obtainable from PvP kills? The article strongly suggests that those drops (among others) should remain PvM, but that is a very one-sided opinion. Before, they were only obtainable (by they, I mean the Dragon Full specificly) from Mithril Dragons, and now they have 2 sources in the game. PvP is a big part of RS, whether some of us like it or not, so why should those who prefer killing players than NPCs be left out from gifts like these. Granted, from the sounds of things the drop-rate is more common than from Mith Dragons (I wouldn't know personally, I don't really PK, but looking at the price fall I'd guess they are) but really? Like someone else posted, they are far over-priced compared to their usefullness. Dragon is pretty much obsolete compared with the more powerful (and ironically cheaper) armours available, and it saddens me that poorer players aren't really able to use Dragon as the next appropriate step on there way to becoming better equipped, but that's a rant for another time.

Oh, and the reason GWD were excluded? Erm, my guess would be because those drops are from BOSS monsters, which no matter however which way you put it, Mith Dragons are not.

Please tell me how PvP is such a big part of RS? Last I checked, there were under 15 worlds for PvP, out of 160 or so. Now yes there are many PvP games, but only those few allow drops. And most of the worlds are some of the less filled during the most populated times of the day. Often I find them when searching for the lowest populated worlds when trying to do Slayer or something.

Why should PvP worlds be so special that they can have a rare drop such as the Dragon Full Helm giving a higher percentage of dropping than when slaying Mithril Dragons? Someone who goes and stands in a world with armour and a teleport should get that much better of a chance to get rich?

I can say I haven't checked out the new "Bounty Hunter", but the old PvP worlds were filled with PJ'ers. They sat there, prayed melee, and used specials to try to steal kills. Addressing two articles of this week in one, prayer is fine if you're actually fighting and not being pathetic, and stealing kills period just shows immaturity. How is it fair that that one person can KO someone who was in a fight and making the other person eat where the attack setting, or however you want to state it, reset where they could get attacked by another person and killed? The person who was fighting them then could or couldn't get the drop, while the player who stole the kill could get the Dragon Full Helm for doing nothing but doing a cheap shop?

Normally I read all the articles before responding. Normally I read all the posts. But I just have to say it. The studying prayer in PVP article points out that you are a noob if you "use food, specials, prayer, potions or even his best equipment."

The real reason is the mentality behind a lot of PK'ers, not all PK'ers, just some...

They play it to feel superior. When they see someone using dragon claws or not, praying, etc., it causes them to insult in frustration at not being able to easily kick their...butt. If they DO kick a persons butt, they insult the person to feel superior to the person they just wasted. Honor has nothing actually to do with it. Some people just want to go in there and kill something weaker then them, not have a good fight.

I see this all the time in FOG because I don't wanna lose stuff on PVP >_<

NOT ALL PK'ERS ARE LIKE THIS.

But that is the mentality behind some of them, specifically the ones that call you a noob for doing anything that helps you win the fight.

As for prayer...ONE of the reason pray is looked down upon, in my opinion, is because the protection prayers are visible. If you can both use protection prayer, and both have around the some prayer level, all prayer does is drag out the fight; in an old school PVP area, with just rune vs rune, with each player having the same stats, the ONLY thing prayer does is drag out the fight. And protection prayer is easy to notice.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

As many have pointed out, it is impossible to attak an Aviansie with melee, least of all one-hit-ko it. I thought that article was a bit pathetic really, nobody owns another monster and if you fail to protect "your" spawns then that is your own fault. If other people are courteous and try to find empty worlds then great, but don't expect people to adhere to ridiculous demands on a game of anonymity.

pathetic article about the aviansies. it sounds like she doesnt even know what the game is about. "a guy with a zammy stole and fury"???? they're both weilded in the neck spot. and evryone knows that you cant use melee on them and there are only a few monsters in the erie(sp?) that you can. sara sword and whip? how did this article get by the editors cause my little brother could do better with 10 minutes of research. i love the Times, but this upsets me that something like this would waste my time when it was clearly done with very little knowledge of runescape.

---a frustrated reader.

Sean_Av3ry.png

oh so thats what Obama does instead of running our country! play runescape....now i know why he's doing such a bad job. lol on a completely different topic, i thought it was funny how the press made such a huge deal about him cutting around 17 bil in spending. i guess they dont remember that he's spent TRILLION'S in his first 5 months. money my generation will have to pay off in 20 years. :wall:

Sean_Av3ry.png

To Magehat, I'm sorry, but no one knows what you're talking about. First off, you can't kill avianses with melee. You just can't. Anyone who sees you standing there with a whip trying to hit avianses is going to take advantage. Aside from that fact (which happens to be a rather large problem) is switching worlds that big of a deal that you put an article in here about it? *points to rants forum* As for your question, "are unwritten rules binding?" the answer seems to be no. A multi area is designed to be multi-combat, not unwritten-rule-single-combat-zone.

JagEx isn't your mother folks. They aren't going to make a magical way to enforce unwritten "rules", because they already did, they are called single combat zones. I'm not defending kill stealers, but you can't just step into a game and expect all of the annoying people to have dissapeared.

I eagerly await an explanation of what Magehat was talking about, preferably from her personally. I think many people would like to know. :thumbdown:

:shock: :o :ohnoes:

i must have a clone out there somewhere: That is EXACTLY what i was thinking, and wanted to say

i TOTALLY agree

personally i live by alot of unwritten rules, i rarely (if ever) bring food to the pits. and i think that the first ranger that hits an aviansie, has got the right to have the kill (you can still have your spot taken, simply by being the slowest clicker)

Magehats article:

If you have worked hard or long for money/skills, then feel free to use them

in runescape theres no such thing as "first here, gets it". its simply put: "survival of the fittest"

yes, magehat had been there for the longest, but lets face it: she was lucky to have been alone

why? because as soon as she got some competition, she got forced away

Boeg.png

Eh, let's just forget this edition ever happened.

Frankly if you want some order around here, you have to make it yourself, and apparently nobody, not even the people who run the game, can help you.

8f14270694.jpg

read times as soon as it came out - was very confused by avansies, disagreed with fundamentals of pvp and the attitude of prayer. started to reply and would have been 2nd post but thought - no it cant be that bad i must be tired lets not set a negative tone and quit my response.

prayer is a combat skill if you have it use it, simple as that, if you have more of it than the other person, well take advantage of that, if the other person had a higher attack would they brew down? I seriously do not see an honour issue here and to imply otherwise imo is ridiculous. agreed format wars or DM's are different for obvious reasons. Im sure people will disagree with me and thats their perogative, call me a noob for my point of view if you wish, im relaxed as i know im right :thumbsup:

avansie belief issues have been totally covered in other posts. my view on KS - if i want to keep it ill fight for my spot, i generally dont steal others unless they start on mine or are greedy and take an unfair nuber of spawns. to be fair the spots i use are usually slayer spots and slayers generally treat each other well. to be contentious i view it as different when people camp for cash, these are more fair game to me. slayers are set a task complete it and move on freeing spot for someone else this isnt the case for campers

PVP effect.... so the price of dfh is effected by pvp / drops? was a dfh really that good and so many people wore it OR was it used to manipulate forum trades in rares and 3rd age. consider dfh price rises dramatically from 20m to 50m, 3 get traded for party hat plus some cash, price of dfh crashes to 20m = 90m profit on phat - repeat (yes over a lengthy period of time i agree). with PVP prices have been affected yet again by merchants rather than drops. my issue is with the values used, pvp drops will have had an impact but not hugely, the steep downward [bleep]es imo are merchants taking advantage of fear, lets see what the next 2 months does to the trends.

rant at jagex - my issue with BH PVP is that the rewards do not reflect the risk - in all other aspects of the game the rewards reflect the risk / effort involved. the maximum rewards gained from each kill should be more closely tied to the value of the items the loser lost. why do people think BH PVP is great - because of the rewards. fortunately a lot of the rewards degrade or can be alched out of the game so dont crash the market - check out the price of a lot of barrows (0) items and compare to high alch -tip it item search makes this easy, wonderful tool thank you tip it. by all means have a 3 times more likely drop of a dfh - if the loser was wearing one or items of equivalent value.

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

Regarding prayer, I think it's quite appropriate to use it. I don't always in PvP because I don't want the battle to drag on and on, I'd rather save the prayer for a protect prayer. I'm not a massive PKer, It's just something I do every now and again. I'd rather eat to regain health *shrugs*

Rofl Obama :lol:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].