Tip.It Times: 17 May 2009

n_odie

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woo I was looking forward to this week's ::'

EDIT: Good articles I was a little confused about the aviansie one...How can other players with Godswords KS :?

And the Obama interview made me chuckle :lol:

Guitar_by_Lemeja123.jpg

Even if you don't like fictional articles, I demand everyone to read the Obama article.

About the KS article:

I came to realize that no matter what you do, the thief does not care. Those players who KS could not actually care less if I switch worlds, or try & fight them (with obviously very limited success, considering my gear).

I think this is untrue, I've been one of those stealers myself a while ago and of the best parts of it was beating someone else off his spot.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

The Barack Obama article was hysterical! I agreed with Das' article as well, but the amount of spelling and grammatical errors really bothered me. In the future, please use spell-check!

Great articles this week! They were really a nice read. :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more with the way PvP has effected the economy - everything is dropping.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

The featured article was terrible. Not only was the article overlooking the fact that a new PvP activity causes people to sell their rares at low prices; I also guess a spell check is too much to ask from the Tip.it Times. The feature was badly written, and even the title had a spelling error. I'm quite disappointed.

Enjoyable reads. I always enjoy the perspective of others. And that Obama article is the only fictional piece I've ever even bothered looking at. :thumbsup:

Lord_Cool_LV.png

Lord_Cool_LV.png

Quest Cape originally achieved 4/14/09

99 Cooking achieved 1/1/09

5/6 Achievement Diaries completed

Regarding the second article: Why should I care about somebody else? Why should I care whether you become happy or not? It will not affect me in the future, as I will not encounter you again. You are not likely to surpass my levels, so why should I be concerned about ksing other people?

oversized.jpg[/bads]^3.14159254

Lol at the obama one, but isn't it "effect" and not "affect"?

No, it's affect.

"To affect something is to change or influence it, To effect something is a rather formal way of saying `to make it happen'."

The PvP worlds have affected multiple things in the game, hence why it's the PvP affect.

And I'll be honest and say that the article was rushed and I'm sorry about that. :oops:

i personly think that theres nothing wrong with praying in pvp. i worked for the skill so i can use the skill. if the game allows it and it's not a glitch, it shouldn't be viewed as unfair.

p.s. the 3 Mil Obama was 'taxed' went towards a very nice darkbow ^.^

╬╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╬

╬╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╬

╬╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╬

╬╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╬

╬╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╬

╬╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╬

╬╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╬

╬╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╬

╬╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╬

╬╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╬

╬╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╬

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

Insert Head Here

Last week, in the Recent Update Forums, people were talking about the pvp drops(mainly Dfs and DFH) and its affect on the economy.

This is reply from Mod Emilee

Hi everyone,

I've collected a lot of feedback on this issue, so please rest assured that it has been escalated to the relevant people.

Our Content Development Team are currently monitoring this issue and are discussing what would be the best action to take.

QFC - 15-16-383-58815309

Hopefully, they will remove Dfs and DFH drops from the list :)

[hide=]I kill Aviantese (or "Aviansies") as people sometime refer to them.

I love parking there for a week at a time, getting a KC of over 1k. In fact, it's one of my favorite things to do on RS at the moment. As I am always short on cash (I skill a lot), and play very few hours a week, Aviantese provide a very good income. My (and many other players') problem is simply "KS". These two letters hold so many feelings in them - scorn, insult, anger, feelings on injustice, self-righteousness, and sometimes even denial.

It may be a player of any and all levels, who suddenly appears, likely after a bad experience on crowded worlds, and starts shooting the same NPC you're training on at the moment. Usually, it's an honest mistake, and the simple word "off" lands you peace & quiet, and often an apology, too, but sometimes it's not. When you come across lower-level users, this may be forgivable, as you can easily best them and they give up fast. I am writing to you today to share an ongoing torture: a very high leveled player, maybe even as high as 136-8, may log in near you, with a better armor by an order of 6 at least (6 times better armor), and you, who has little money, certainly not enough for a GodSword, find yourself battling a player who (on one occasion) can KO an Aviansie. Now, as I said, I am not completely without sin, and have, in the past, done the same to players who annoyed me, but never for more than one kill.[/hide]

It appears as though the author lacks knowledge about the game, and she has seemingly fabricated a story about an alleged 'KSer'. The author claims that she was 'KS'd' by someone using a Godsword at Aviansies - which is erroneous, as it's impossible to use melee attacks on them. If those errors were corrected, it would be a good read.

Lol at the obama one, but isn't it "effect" and not "affect"?

No, it's affect.

"To affect something is to change or influence it, To effect something is a rather formal way of saying `to make it happen'."

The PvP worlds have affected multiple things in the game, hence why it's the PvP affect.

And I'll be honest and say that the article was rushed and I'm sorry about that. :oops:

Sorry to defy your descriptions of it, but gramatically you're wrong. Yes, PvP worlds have AFFECTED multiple things in the game, but your article was discussing the physical PvP EFFECT. Effect is, in fact, the correct term to use when applying it to a physical or conceptual entity as you have here, considering you are actually describing a singular effect that PvP has had. Thereby making it a complete "PvP effect".

As for the article itself, I thought it wasn't bad but it glossed over too many things and had a somewhat blinkered view. I myself do not particularly enjoy Pking, but your article sounded too much like you wholly disapprove. This may well not be true, but considering for example that you completely failed to mention Vesta's and various other PvP only drops alongside the mistakenly added drops like DFH, it is far too incomplete. I use the phrase "mistakenly added" because I agree that such drops should have remained exclusive to PvM. I also agree that PvP is currently receiving an inordinate amount of attention, however I would have been more interested to hear solutions than just the problems I already know exist.

And now for the rest of the articles!

KSing and GWD:

I wholly agree. I hate that people feel, for whatever reason, that they have a greater right to be in a spot than an established player. I don't believe I have ever been a KSer, but have often had to defend my own spot from other such people, a problem exacerbated by necessity when slaying. Of course it's not illegal, and in the real world there is an element of "dog-eat-dog", but given the fantasy nature of the game, and the minimal benefit of kill stealing over getting off your fat [wagon] and finding your own kills, I don't really see the point of it.

One point though, did any of this really happen? I only ask because it is of course impossible to melee aviansies. Therefore a GS vs a whip shouldn't make much difference as both will be firing blanks... (Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that has been altered by any patch notes etc recently)

A Study of Prayer:

I disagree. PvPers know exactly what is out there when they enter combat, if they can't handle it they shouldn't be there.

Prayers have been there for as long as I have played (quite a number of years now), and as a relatively high combat player I see no need to remove prayers from PvP combat. Sure, it makes fights harder and slower, but chances are the poor sod who has to use prayer will lose anyway, and any idiot knows that they can equally well counter the praying opponent's attacks with their own use of prayer...

I didn't find it a particularly enlightening study anyway, and for those of us who aren't much interested in PvP, this did little to put fire in our bellies and make us fight. If anything it simply reinforced the stereotype of PKers as a generally unfriendly bunch of sore losers.

Also as a minor aside, if it was a study of prayer, why did the introductory paragraph create the concept of "potions noob" rather than "prayer noob", which should after all have been the main focus? Sure, you made a thinly veiled reference to prayer, but it was lost a little following the potion flaming.

Interview with Obama:

Nice concept, and quite funny. Confess I did get a bit bored halfway through, but I did appreciate the thought behind it.

Regarding the second article: Why should I care about somebody else? Why should I care whether you become happy or not? It will not affect me in the future, as I will not encounter you again. You are not likely to surpass my levels, so why should I be concerned about ksing other people?

MMmmmm great, just the kind of person I want in society...

Grow up and read something past the meaningless levels and pixels. Or perhaps you'll just start to realise that as you take your absurdly intolerant approach, very soon people stop caring about you or your opinions...

For those saying about the godsword killing aviansies, if you read it, its explaining that he/she is much poorer than the kill stealer, and using a godsword as an example of what the kill stealer can afford and he/she can't. Not that the kill stealer is using a godsword.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

For those saying about the godsword killing aviansies, if you read it, its explaining that he/she is much poorer than the kill stealer, and using a godsword as an example of what the kill stealer can afford and he/she can't. Not that the kill stealer is using a godsword.

I will refer you to the 6th Paragraph down:

Quote:

I will tell you of a time (sounding like a really old lady, there). I was minding my own business, killing Aviantese spawning in 2 specific points, attacking 1 while my fire titan attacks the other. After a while of peace & quiet (which is what I love about this place), a player logs in with a whopping 135 combat level. He's wearing full Armadyl with a Sara GodSword and a Zammy stole (cape-thing from the treasure trails), a fury and Bandos Boots. He then proceeds to kill a few higher-leveled Aviantese, and once those have been finished off, he then turns around, attacks my Aviansie level-73, and KOs it. Yes, you read correctly, killed it in one hit! (End of Quote)

Oh and the stole is the item worn in the necklace slot, the "cape-thing from the treasure trails" is in fact rather succinctly called a cloak... :-P

Last week, in the Recent Update Forums, people were talking about the pvp drops(mainly Dfs and DFH) and its affect on the economy.

This is reply from Mod Emilee

Hi everyone,

I've collected a lot of feedback on this issue, so please rest assured that it has been escalated to the relevant people.

Our Content Development Team are currently monitoring this issue and are discussing what would be the best action to take.

QFC - 15-16-383-58815309

Hopefully, they will remove Dfs and DFH drops from the list :)

I suspect that simply removing the DFS and DFH as PvP drops will do little to restore their value and undo the damage already done by PvP.

[hide=]He's wearing full Armadyl with a Sara GodSword and a Zammy stole (cape-thing from the treasure trails), a fury and Bandos Boots. He then proceeds to kill a few higher-leveled Aviantese, and once those have been finished off, he then turns around, attacks my Aviansie level-73, and KOs it. Yes, you read correctly, killed it in one hit![/hide]

I'll reiterate; it's simply not possible to melee Aviansies. I think it would be in the community's best interests to correct this error in the article.