F2P, is it becoming P2P?

GlowinRedM

Just an interesting tidbit on this topic and the changing Jagex attitude towards f2p... does anyone else remember the Duel Arena riots during the rs2 beta? For those who aren't fossils like myself, I'll recap: A post regarding content implied that f2p'ers (who were then helping with the rs2 open beta) would be able to accesss the duel arena. This turned out to not be the case, and resulted in a largescale riot at the al kahrid duel arena, with at least two (possibly more) JMods present attempting to calm the issue. The wording of the post was cleared up, and alongside that we were assured by jagex that, to paraphrase, DUELLING HAS ALWAYS BEEN AND WILL ALWAYS BE ONE OF THE BIGGEST DRAWS TO P2P. WE WILL NOT BE MAKING IT F2P. Yeah... umm gf jagex.

So they dont release it you "riot", They release it a number of years later and you tell them to "gf".

They can't win.

I am not 100% sure when rs2 was released but say it was released in 2000 it has almost been a decade since that was said! People can change there mind.

RS2 was released in 2003, but that is beside the point. I wasn't trying to call out Jagex, simply to demonstrate a trend of features that were once established solely as the domain of members are slowly but surely headed in the f2p direction.

That will always be the case though, they will say it will never be f2p then when members have got bored of it and hardley any body uses it any more then it might become f2p.

I don't see the point of keeping something for members cos it has always been a members thing, when no body really cares about it.

perfetc_666.png

IM GOING TO LIVE FOREVER .......... or die trying

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree, even though F2P most certainly needs update (hell, our bank is getting overly cramped :wall: ), they shouldn't ask for TOO much. F2P and P2P are different, P2P is the FAR bigger expansion that people pay for, so P2P deserves more updates.

Honestly, if you think F2P needs that much update as well, then F2P will REALLY start to get confusing for the people who retired then came back after a while. I've actually semi-retired for about 2 months and came back recently, and I'm actually glad not THAT many things changed.

(Though, I'm certainly upset about the GOP activity bar. :evil: )

Conclusion: Have F2P get slightly more updates but not TOO much.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Interestingly enough I am glad that F2P has not changed very much. One of the big reasons why I am f2p and why I always pked in f2p, is because I felt that the fighting was simpler and much more pure. If changes do happen to f2p I hope that the combat area is not affected too much.

It's good to have some consistency sometimes instead of waking up one day and finding out that your current weapons and armor are totally obsolete because of some new weapon that hits 60s with 85 strength. :)

why are you p2pers agains giving f2p a little lean way i mean its not like u dont get better everything i mean you can tell f2p armours and skilling atiems and skilling spots totaly pwn all p2p spots i mean on almost every world i see 5 to 10 people in drayner wcing willows how many do you see in p2p hacking away at willows in draynor not many i can tell you that seing how as i got a p2p and f2p acount i mean in one post i seen a guy say all that f2p deserves is deletion but as jagex states members is just an expansion pack to the game and f2p is the game not a never ending demo as is stated in this some were ide like to see some better skilling spots in f2p and a hell of a lot less members complaining there [wagon] off that we get a new up date every 3 years

ps i know my gramar sucks so dont say anything

We Pay so we get better and more things.

Why pay if you can get half the things for free?

IMO F2pers are lucky that it's FREE. Unlike WoW, you have to pay to even play, whereas Runescape offers So much for free!

So quit whining about needing more updates.

why are you p2pers agains giving f2p a little lean way i mean its not like u dont get better everything i mean you can tell f2p armours and skilling atiems and skilling spots totaly pwn all p2p spots i mean on almost every world i see 5 to 10 people in drayner wcing willows how many do you see in p2p hacking away at willows in draynor not many i can tell you that seing how as i got a p2p and f2p acount i mean in one post i seen a guy say all that f2p deserves is deletion but as jagex states members is just an expansion pack to the game and f2p is the game not a never ending demo as is stated in this some were ide like to see some better skilling spots in f2p and a hell of a lot less members complaining there [wagon] off that we get a new up date every 3 years

ps i know my gramar sucks so dont say anything

We Pay so we get better and more things.

Why pay if you can get half the things for free?

IMO F2pers are lucky that it's FREE. Unlike WoW, you have to pay to even play, whereas Runescape offers So much for free!

So quit whining about needing more updates.

Even though i agree that most f2p should stop whining about more stuff... Come on, f2p Runescape is a GAME, not some sort of gift we should be happy for having. Free or not, the game is supposed to be good, and giving one update or two every once in a while wouldn't kill anyone.

Of course members pay, of course members will get better and more content, but is updating f2p once in a while a really bad thing? >.>

It's sad, i ALWAYS see Jagex advertising Rs as "free to play", yet Runescape f2p version is ignored completely. There are lot's of better completely f2p games out there, and Jagex rely on their f2p game to atracct new players, who would eventually become p2p.

If Jagex doesn't update f2p at least once in a while, most people will just moove on to other games and Jagex would lose lots of potential customers. I actually saw lot's of people criticizing Jagex for never updating f2p on other game-related forums. Jagex doesn't have a good reputation, bad f2p version is one of the main reasons i found so far.

See? A good reason to update f2p once in a while.

Really, as long as p2p gets more and better updates, to make sure p2p is worth it, i don't see a problem in giving f2p something new from time to time. Paying or not, f2p is still part of the game ( and a pretty important one actually...), so why not make sure it is very good?

• 4 weeks later...

Over the past year starting jan 2009, free to play have gotten only a few signaficant updates: Run Energy, the route finding update(remember how annoying it was to run somewhere before 2009?), random event decreases, forum access(which i can't use), and a few minor updates: autocasting spells without a staff (for those too cheap to buy one) and a few other random changes that were for the better of the whole runescape community. I'm not sure when the stronghold of player safety came out, but for me that, the run engery update and the route finding update were the best updates for a while. The stronghold of security was also big, b/c then i could train range without huge amounts of cash to buy arrows with. And might i not forget the acheivement diary that was released. I didn't even bother finishing it b/c it was so bad of a reward. F2P has only gotten a few good updates recently.

This said i have been p2p on other accounts, and have to say i liked it a lot, but then i quit again for about 1-5 months and f2p felt awesome. P2P will always complain about something. If they release 2 minigames that are combat and skill oriented, the selfish combaters (i mean the people who have 90 attack, Strength and defense and 10 mining, smithing and woodcutting) will complain about not been able to win at both minigames.

The new skill that is coming out is going to be for both members and non-members is going to get so many rants from members. They rant about how they pay 5-10 dollars a month to have more stuff to do, have more content released and then they get even more content released to them. But this time that content is available to f2p too. So they whine that the non-members are getting an update that they themselves got with additonal content on it Sure they pay, but once upon a time it was all free. So if you're one of those f2p haters go somewhere else or just complain to your next door neighs or something.

I eagerly await the release the of the new skill. As I am f2p and is unlikely to become a member for reasons I will not divulge, this will be as big as runecrafting but hopefully more fun. I think with a change of leadership the game has become more friendly towards f2p. Let us not forget what f2p get, p2p gets as well.

Hopefully it'll include a quest where the player learns how to use the skill, this is heaven for f2p.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, F2p isn't becoming P2p because as mentioned by jagex f2p and p2p are both seperate units of the games. While f2p has only few, but basic elements of the game, p2p includes different parts of the "runescape world" unexplored by f2p, more quests as well as skills. Sure jagex is focusing a bit more on f2p; but if you think about it, haven't they focused a lot on p2p as well (eg. a new quest every month, new items, new worlds left to be explored, etc.)

24zgl7t.png

33bpitd.gifViolent Resolution Warlord | leader.gifFlip Flops Warlord

P2P isn't really becoming F2P, but lets not forget that F2P pay nothing to Jagex so they should be happy with what they get, hell they should be happy they get anything at all tbh.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

Signature_Lady_Gaga_3_by_Sed_rah.jpg

appmanagercrown.pngTKO Blitz Member | bluepd5.gifEx-Tempted Killers Council

I cant help but point out that F2P get holiday events, and its one of the only times that F2P get everything that P2P does... Think about it. (im not counting that tree from the X-mas event that only P2p got, it was useless to F2p lol)

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

I am f2p, but I think f2p is fine as it is. Of course I like new features in f2p, but no reason to demand anything. It's not like we don't have anything to do. And f2p doesn't pay more than p2p with adds. In addition Jagex said, that they hardly can have f2p running with the adds. But they must have enough money throwing away MechScape just like that.

One thing I'd like that f2p got is a world where we don't have to be bothered by the constant spamming by noobs and newbies.. Ever tried to go to the danish w120(if you understand danish) at Grand Exchange? I was shocked how everyone was arguing, swearing, asking for net-boy-and-girlfriends and asking for personal info, like where do you live, and do you wanna f*** next weekend? Just some examples... Which is why I stay to w61, which is probably the most pro f2p world, if not w85 is as good.

And as f2p get a new skill next year I see no reason to ask for more in f2p. We simply have enough and now we get even more. And we lost wildernes.. Yes.. But it didn't really matter, as we got bh and pvp worlds, clan wars, duel arena and high-lvled monsters(revenants). Now we also got hellhounds. That's great, but their drops are sad.. So if we want drops we kill greater demons :P.

Best f2p crafter. (I hope)

95m+ bank since february 2009

Crafting with friends in w61 - Al-Kharid

http://www.pointblog.dk/?go=krat(only 1 time per 24 hours per person.. I did'nt make these rules, so don't flame me)

I am f2p, but I think f2p is fine as it is. Of course I like new features in f2p, but no reason to demand anything. It's not like we don't have anything to do. And f2p doesn't pay more than p2p with adds. In addition Jagex said, that they hardly can have f2p running with the adds. But they must have enough money throwing away MechScape just like that.

One thing I'd like that f2p got is a world where we don't have to be bothered by the constant spamming by noobs and newbies.. Ever tried to go to the danish w120(if you understand danish) at Grand Exchange? I was shocked how everyone was arguing, swearing, asking for net-boy-and-girlfriends and asking for personal info, like where do you live, and do you wanna f*** next weekend? Just some examples... Which is why I stay to w61, which is probably the most pro f2p world, if not w85 is as good.

And as f2p get a new skill next year I see no reason to ask for more in f2p. We simply have enough and now we get even more. And we lost wildernes.. Yes.. But it didn't really matter, as we got bh and pvp worlds, clan wars, duel arena and high-lvled monsters(revenants). Now we also got hellhounds. That's great, but their drops are sad.. So if we want drops we kill greater demons :P.

About the constant spamming, that only happens at the Grand Exchange, no where else. What's the most annoying there though, is the spammers that advertise merch clans, not the noobs.

About drops... *points to cockroach soldiers*

Otherwise, agreed with what you said.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

"F2P is the real game, give us the real benefits.", "We pay more with ads than you do with subscriptions", "We work harder, we deserve more!"

"We work harder to get a 99 skill, we deserve the cape more than P2P do!" (not necessarily with grammar as good as that).

so if all they want is to show, then isn't it in a way hypocritical to say we only got it to show off?

And are they going to get Agility as was also said by another?

Another thing was them taking away the Agility features in F2P from P2P. I'm sure this has been said a million times, but in the K-Base on the Runescape site it said that our run-recharge rate with Agility would remain on F2P servers, but they took that away because "it gave an unfair advantage to the F2P'ers".

Finally, in all honesty in the past year or two F2P has been getting tons of decent updates, i.e. getting access to the Duel Arena (formerly P2P, but they don't have tournaments), Bounty Hunter (I think this was in the last year or two?), the Bounty Hunter update, PvP worlds, the PvP artifact thing, and I'm sure there are more, but off of a 6+ month hiatus I didn't feel like digging through all of the news updates. And guess what? Though P2P got all of that (as it is free content that we get with P2P), mostly all that P2P got was quests.

All three of these statements are true, that is all i have to say on that matter

That sounds very prejudice.

No, they want to show off their 99 the members want to show off the fact they had/have membership implying they are better.

It wouldn't matter if free-to-play gets agility, it is a rather useless skill anyways, no one trains it in pay-to-play, then why would you think any one in free-to-play would train it?

Well, it does give an unfair advantage, if someone gets 99 agility through their course of membership and goes free-to-play, then at clan wars, the free players would not be able to catch them.

That content was taken away so fast I didn't even get a chance to look at bounty hunter, and PVP is available to members. Quests are the majority of the game and they got MASSIVE amounts of quests.

wingwinder.png

indifference.gif