Official Aion thread (Visions update)

Nadril

Just so you know, when you explained the "Abyss" it seemed very 1v1 to me :? lol.

But to be honest it really doesnt seem like a Ranger would do particularly well in 1 on 1, 'cause if someones watching the ranger even a bit they can tell where they put the traps. And that's a bit of a [bleep].

Who cares anyway. I'll just restart if it isnt good for me :D

It's not 1v1 oriented. You will probably want a group to really survive in the abyss, I know I will personally be rolling with a group in there most of the time.

Also if you use your traps right it works. Run up to the enemy, trap and run off. It's sort of a bold move versus some classes though, but a ranger did it really well against me in the last closed beta during a duel.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still, the idea of traps doesnt seem super duper extraordinary unless you're in a mass-fight. But that's what I think and I havent played, so I guess rangers must need alot of skill to use them right? :o

I dont need a siggy no moar.

Still, the idea of traps doesnt seem super duper extraordinary unless you're in a mass-fight. But that's what I think and I havent played, so I guess rangers must need alot of skill to use them right? :o

All the classes take plenty of skill. :)

The reason the guy could use traps well versus me is that I have little C/C at that level as a chanter. You can arm them pretty quickly. At any rate you don't even really need to use traps a lot of times, I often times don't see rangers use them much in 1v1.

Youtube HD Video - This video will cause high CPU usage, to view the video in a lower quality, please click here.

There is a tourny video (only level 45 though) but it shows a pretty damn good ranger in it. Gives you an idea how they play out in 1v1.

The reason the guy could use traps well versus me is that I have little C/C at that level as a chanter. You can arm them pretty quickly. At any rate you don't even really need to use traps a lot of times, I often times don't see rangers use them much in 1v1.

That's kinda my point. :lol:

As in, the traps dont work that well in comparison to the other stuff other classes can do. >.>

Traps aren't the selling point of the class though. They are a pain in the [wagon] for healers, due to their massive CC, burst damage and silence shot skill.

Traps aren't the selling point of the class though. They are a pain in the [wagon] for healers, due to their massive CC, burst damage and silence shot skill.

They would help, but since they arent the 'selling point', then they obviously arent as useful as the other classes things yea?

So traps arent good at all, even PvE?

I really don't know how to explain it to you, haha.

Traps are a good thing to have. They can come in use, they have their use in both PvE and PvP. (I've seen them used well). However they are not the "selling point" of the class. What I mean is that one would consider the selling point of a cleric to be their heals, or the selling point of the chanter to be their hybrid nature and buffs, or even the selling point of the Templar is his tanking abilities. The rangers "selling point" is that they have some of the best burst from a range, they have a nice assortment of CC and can kite well. They're pretty much a ranged Assassin (who's main selling point is high DPS and CC).

For the record each class really does have it's own role in PvP:

Chanter: Buffer for the group and a mix of off heals and damage support. Versatile class.

Cleric: Main healer for a group.

Spirit Master: Crowd Control class. They don't do much damage, but they have the best CC in the game (a fear, a "bind wings" skill which takes flight time off of the enemy).

Sorcerer: Traditional Nuker class, does high burst and has low HP.

Gladiator: A heavy armor wearing DPS, able to be in the front lines without any problem.

Templar: A tank, obviously, they have some nice pulling abilities and such for PvP and still do pretty good damage.

Assassin: Very high DPS, useful for taking out healers due to their multitude of stuns. Squishy class though and will get bum raped if caught out of stealth for too long.

Ranger: Pretty much a ranged Assassin, they have high DPS, a good assortment of stuns and silences and are useful for taking out healers.

I'm starting to think I may main assassin on launch. Playing one now, they're a ton of fun.

Plus I look like a mother[bleep]in badass. :thumbup:

33ayuj9.png

Official trailer for patch 1.5:

Youtube HD Video - This video will cause high CPU usage, to view the video in a lower quality, please click

:thumbup:

That looks amazing. Question, who was the guy who rocked up in the middle of the Asmo/Elyos fight? o.O Was he one of their Shedim/Seraphim Lords or a Baltaur, or something else entirely?

Also, lol @ the spectacular amount of nerdrage going on in the video comments.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

That looks amazing. Question, who was the guy who rocked up in the middle of the Asmo/Elyos fight? o.O Was he one of their Shedim/Seraphim Lords or a Baltaur, or something else entirely?

Also, lol @ the spectacular amount of nerdrage going on in the video comments.

That was the Balaur faction, which is the "E" part of PvPvE. The Balaur is pretty much an NPC only faction which sort of does as it pleases in Aion, and helps keep balance between the two sides. You don't know what they'll really do, like they may help out the Elyos side, they may help out Asmodian or they may attack them both. They show up in the Abyss though and at fortress sieges. Every now and then they'll roll up in that big [wagon] ship you saw in the trailer which in it's own is a lvl 50 boss mob that, to what I know, no one has killed yet. (it has multiple parts to it, shoots lasers and if it gets close to the fort it drops down level 50 elite mobs).

:) Also I should say that I am loving my Assassin and combat with it. It's so dynamic even at level 16, and there is so much going on. I have poisons, I have combo points, I have combo skills, I have stuns, I have a backstab and I have a move which makes me automatically dodge the next thing used against me. (and then a "counterattack" that is usable after a dodge).

I really hope I can get to 20 and get some decent duels frapsed, as long as it doesn't lag me. It's also amazing how much movement really does effect you (what I posted a while back). Moving forward while doing a backstab is the difference between a 1000 crit and a 1200 crit. It really is the only game where I'm paying attention to where I'm moving in combat. (like I don't want to strafe too much or I'll drop in damage (although raise in evasion) and I want to move forward during my large burst hits).

I'm thinking this over...If Aion is still alive and kicking when Christmas comes, I might get it.

I know, I know, I've said this for just about every MMORPG that looks nice and comes out in the fall. But I'm seriously considering it this time. ;)

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

I'm thinking this over...If Aion is still alive and kicking when Christmas comes, I might get it.

I know, I know, I've said this for just about every MMORPG that looks nice and comes out in the fall. But I'm seriously considering it this time. ;)

:o :thumbup:

I think Aion will be fine..

:o :thumbup:

I think Aion will be fine..

That's what was said about AoC, and that died within 2-3 months.

But as noted, Aion has been out in Korea for a while, so it'll probably do better.

Who knows. Let's hope for the best. :thumbup:

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

abyssranks.jpg

Abyss Rank chart, including how many points you need (minimum) to get up to a rank and how many each rank gives when they die and lose when they die. Also note that 1 star officer and above is filled for a limited amount of positions. So 1000 1 stars, 800 2 stars, all the way up to 1 Supreme Commander. :)

Yeah ranks are really cool. Especially when they are more than just a grind.

So done with the closed beta, another pretty successful one. Spent the later part of today doing some duels (Sort of sucked because a lot of people were around 25+ or even 30, and I was 19 on the sin) and just messing around.

Also dyed my guys armor blue, which looks pretty cool. :thumbup:

[hide=pic]zo2nb.png[/hide]

Won't the higher ranks only be accessible by nolifers?

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

So I've been following this thread and it looks awesome.

As a person who has played WoW for a long time, and never strayed from the mage class, can anyone tell me what the differences are, the similarities are and such forth. I'm very tempted as this looks outstanding.

Also, can you give me some of the basics of the game?

Thanks

calciumpixelsigil3.png

Click my signature for my blog!

So I've been following this thread and it looks awesome.

As a person who has played WoW for a long time, and never strayed from the mage class, can anyone tell me what the differences are, the similarities are and such forth. I'm very tempted as this looks outstanding.

Also, can you give me some of the basics of the game?

Thanks

I'll try and stick to some of the basics. There are certainly plenty of influences from WoW, but there is a lot that feels different.

Similarities:

• - Questing is done the same way as WoW. You do have a bit of dialogue (which is well written) but it's the same idea.

- You have plenty of hotkeyed abilities such as in WoW. You'll probably feel right at home with this.

- The sorcerer class feels a lot like a mage in WoW. You have a fireball type spell. You have a living bomb type spell as well. You also have your frostbolt kind of spell, and your aoe frost nova style root. You are quite squishy even though you do have a small magic shield type of ability which absorbs some damage.

- Movement is traditional WSAD style, and the UI is also instantly familiar for anyone who has played WoW or another MMO.

Differences:

•  
    - Flight. WoW does have flight, yes, but you have aerial combat which plays a large role in PvP. For zones that don't enable flight you have gliding, which allows you to cover short distances pretty fast, and is a lot of fun in all honesty.

- Combat feels a bit longer than WoW. Fights in PvE will probably go on for longer than an average fight in WoW.

- It feels a bit more difficult at times than WoW does for leveling. Pulling multiple mobs without any sort of heal is a death sentence unless you have some potions or a good trick up your sleeve (CC effects or something).

- Consumables play more of a role in the games PvP. It's not like in WoW where if a guy uses a healing potion in PvP it would often be considered "cheap". Everyone uses them and they are a part of PvP strategy, due to all the different types of potions sharing a CD you often have to debate what is more important. (Should I use this potion to get out of the root or should I wait and use a healing potion? type of thing).

- Zone progress is a bit more linear than WoW. In reality I feel it follows a lot closer to the style of WoW's newer zones, places such as TBC/WoTLK zones, rather than their older ones. Instead of hopping around zone to zone doing a few quests you'll most likely stick in one and progress through quests in a logical manner. Some may love this, some might hate this.

- Customability is different. In WoW you have talent trees, in Aion you have Stigmas. In WoW you have gems where as in Aion you have both manastones and "godstones". The stigma system idea is that you have 5 basic and 3 advanced slots to fit in stigma stones. Characters have a lot of different stigma options available to them. These stigma stones grant your character an ability, so in a way you can think of it like cutting out a lot of the fat in a traditional WoW talent tree. There are various builds players have used for stigmas, based on what your goal is. It's pretty varied enough to be interesting. Manastones are the same idea as gems in WoW, except they hold more importance in Aion because all gear has sockets for them. This allows you to customize your stats pretty well through the use of manastones, and there are several different builds for different situations. As an assassin I want to stack "crit" stones for DPS, however I might also want HP stones in a different build to survive burst, or magical resist stones to have a chance to resist C/C.

- There is more "RNG" in Aion than WoW. Again some people may hate this, but the idea is that a lot of effects aren't guaranteed on happening. The biggest example of this are stuns, which either have a % of a chance to work or have a varied duration. What this does is make it so that fights don't end up in a predictable nature, and players need to be able to adapt to a situation. A good player will have a backup plan when his stun doesn't work, or when he is caught on the end of a long duration CC effect. The bad player will not be ready. In my experience this already has made PvP more interesting as an assassin, because I cannot guarantee that I will be able to CC my opponent throughout the fight.

Those are some of the main similarities and differences I've encountered. Keep in mind I'm trying to mostly clarify mechanics here, obviously Aion is more PvP oriented than WoW is and such.

Won't the higher ranks only be accessible by nolifers?

Yes and No. I've got no doubt that some of the top ranked players will play a lot. However they aren't going to get up there just by playing a lot, but get up there by playing well. If they are prone to dying a lot then playing more isn't going to help them, and it probably will hurt because they'll just end up losing more AP. It does benefit the kind of player who plays a lot though, but this is to be expected. Just be glad that if you see a high ranked player, or a player with the high end Abyss gear on, that he will have gotten it through skill -- not time.

some additional comments to add to the poster above...

in Aion quests are divided into two different catergories, campaign and side. Campaign quests (for the most part) will give you substantially more xp, but there are less of them.

there are a LOT of cutscenes in aion

no low leveled instances in aion, and very few high leveled ones

titles actually have a purpose, they give you stats!

priests can wear chain in this game, making them less squishy, and they actually have offensive spells...making them a force in pvp

i may have repeated some of the things you said, just got done with beta test 5 and figured id head over to tip.it and see if someone had made a thread.

edit:not sure what your plans are, but are you going to make the "official" tipit thread for aion?

1-800slayer.png

Retired after 2 accounts and 8 years of scapin...2 accounts over 2,000 total...may my life rest in peace

Brawl Code:5327-0581-3706

some additional comments to add to the poster above...

in Aion quests are divided into two different catergories, campaign and side. Campaign quests (for the most part) will give you substantially more xp, but there are less of them.

there are a LOT of cutscenes in aion

no low leveled instances in aion, and very few high leveled ones

titles actually have a purpose, they give you stats!

priests can wear chain in this game, making them less squishy, and they actually have offensive spells...making them a force in pvp

i may have repeated some of the things you said, just got done with beta test 5 and figured id head over to tip.it and see if someone had made a thread.

edit:not sure what your plans are, but are you going to make the "official" tipit thread for aion?

Very cool.

And yeah this will probably be "official", however much Nads will want us to go to onlineaion.

Yeah this is sort of the "official" thread atm. It would be awesome if we could use onlineaion.com though (the fansite I'm a part of), like ray said. :)

Also the only thing you mentioned that was wrong sup3r is that there actually are a lot of instances in the game. Patch 1.5 added 12 of them, for example.

Yeah this is sort of the "official" thread atm. It would be awesome if we could use onlineaion.com though (the fansite I'm a part of), like ray said. :)

Also the only thing you mentioned that was wrong sup3r is that there actually are a lot of instances in the game. Patch 1.5 added 12 of them, for example.

Should request a new topic and get this one locked when Aion is released in NA, UK, AUS, and EU.

And make a huuuuuuuge first post with all the info, and a banner linking to www.onlineaion.com

www.onlineaion.com