Official Aion thread (Visions update)

Nadril

This looks great.

Unfortunately, I will probably never be able to escape runescape's clutches, and nor do I wish to.

Though, if I do find the secret to being able to handle two MMOs in one lifetime, this would probably be the second.

which is sad because runescape is as simplistic as an MMO can get

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks great.

Unfortunately, I will probably never be able to escape runescape's clutches, and nor do I wish to.

Though, if I do find the secret to being able to handle two MMOs in one lifetime, this would probably be the second.

which is sad because runescape is as simplistic as an MMO can get

the improper use of sad saddens me :|

But yes, it's true. Runescape has NOTHING but a click. That's it. WoW atleast has a more complex gameplay and PvP/PvM overall and you use your keyboard more than the mouse

I dont need a siggy no moar.

In all honesty if I had to compare it to a game I would say that it feels a bit like a mixture of WoW, Lineage II and DAoC. A strange combination I know, but while it's not the most unique game on the market by any means I also think it is one of the most polished to be released here in the past 3-4 years.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, found out later that NCSoft developed both Guild Wars and Lineage 1/2 so this is not very surprising.

I stumbled upon a video where they show and explain the game really well (the story, character customization, quests, combat, flying, PvP), so if you have the slightest bit of interest in Aion, watch this video. I have to say, I'm not usually into PvP, but PvP in this game looks absolutely epic. I very much like the fact that they reward running around your target as well. If you run sideways your dodge stats are increased, block is increased when you backwards, and when you run forwards your attack stats are increased. That further adds to the strategic aspect of the combat they want to enforce in the game, which sounds really great. I am officially excited as hell about the game after watching the video, and I'm very tempted to place a pre-order. :)

Also, someone asked about computer specs:

Updated System Requirements as of 12/16/2008

Minimum:

Pentium 4 2.8GHz, AMD Athlon 2800

1 GB RAM

GeForce 6600, Radeon X1550

Hard Drive 30GB

DirectX 9.0c(2008,6)

Recommended:

Pentium Dual Core, AMD Athlon 64 X2

2 GB RAM

GeForce 7600, Radeon X2600

Hard Drive 30GB

DirectX 9.0c(2008,6)

A bit outdated perhaps but they should give you an idea.

2009rb9.jpg

That was me.

Thanks.

If they're roughly still right then I got the reqs. :D

Basically, if you can play the first Far Cry on your computer it should work for you, since it's built on a modified version of the CryEngine.

Also since it wasn't mentioned in the OP, the game fee will be $15 a month, less if you pay for multiple months.

2009rb9.jpg

Some more info on the penalty system in this game

If you die to PvE (or to falling damage!), you will lose actual experience. A maximum of 3%ish will be unrecoverable, with a maximum of 7%ish being recoverable once you pay the soul healer. I use "maximum" because the penalties are much reduced in some situations -- I believe if you die to a high level mob, such as the huge-aggro-radius raid bosses that patrol in various leveling areas.

In CN aion, the GMs spawned a fast-moving, level 40 bird-type raid boss with a *huuuge* aggro radius to patrol randomly around the lowest leveling area in Eltnen (level 20). I had to smile at the balls they had -- all us leveling lowbies had to band together in a huge raid, get our higher level friends to help, and drag the raidboss to town guards in order to regain peace.

If you die in PvP, you will lose Abyss Points, a currency earned in PvP and used to buy PvP gear. Again if you die to a much higher level (or more highly ranked!) player, you will not lose much; this works both ways.

There is a mechanism that prevent you from losing experience if an enemy player helps you die to PvE, and also mechanisms so you will not lose (very many) Abyss Points if a monster helps you die to PvP (i.e., if you get ganked while leveling). I have only ever felt unfairly penalized for deaths to lag/disconnects (some of which these mechanisms actually caught).

Sounds pretty good. It's enough to make you cautious, but the world doesn't end should you die.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit here, Nadril. :P

2009rb9.jpg

The game looks great, should be a change from WoW.

I may preorder it which should give me a beta code for the next beta event. Can always cancel it if i don't like it.

keen.png

Pre-ordered and beta key received! Screw my friends, I'll convince them later. Download will be done in ~2hrs.

Haha.

The game's beta are done in stages so the next beta should be in a few weeks probably. :)

Cool to see people taking notice. The game is releasing on Sept 22nd (which I think is the early headstart date you get with preorders) and the 24th or 25th for everyone else.

As always I'll try and figure out a server for all of the U.S people to play on when we get some confirmation on that. :)

Cool to see people taking notice. The game is releasing on Sept 22nd (which I think is the early headstart date you get with preorders) and the 24th or 25th for everyone else.

As always I'll try and figure out a server for all of the U.S people to play on when we get some confirmation on that. :)

Then we should all go Asmodians and kick some major [wagon].

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Damn was hoping you could get past the log-in screen at least. Oh well, 6 more days and it's Abyss time. :)

Also, the launcher is terrible. Apparently you have to click "repair" a few times before the game will start, but it still didn't launch for me. When I clicked the Aion[Caution: Executable File] on my keyboard it worked though. Unghh.

edit: Already got a Goon guild ready for next closed beta. :)

2009rb9.jpg

After watching that video you showed Azvareth, it's safe to say that I will be getting this game. It really does look intuitive compared to what else is out there. And it looks like pvp the way pvp should be in all other mmo's.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

This looks great.

Alas, there is no way :( .

The game looks awsome, too bad my computer won't be able to handle it.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

templar759.gif

Trying to decide what class to roll, and I have to say Templar looks very tempting right now.

I have never seen such an epic game video :shock:

Yeah, it's an ability the Templar class has. It has like an hour long cooldown though.

2009rb9.jpg

Yeah all characters I think have a really long CD spell to use in tough situations. That templar ability is great looking. :P

Yeah it looks awesome and it seems like a pretty cool thing if you know what you're doing. Certainly not something to waste if it has an hour-long(or so) cooldown.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

Looks better than WoW!

Course I'm not the biggest fan of MMOs (I play RS, but not much). IMO, MMOs sort of ruin the sense of invdividuality in a game.

as opposed to... what games? ugh

This game looks great. I'm looking at the classes and it would be nice to try out their "rogue" class. I would've tried it if it came out during the summer and not when school just started

templar759.gif

Trying to decide what class to roll, and I have to say Templar looks very tempting right now.

Yeah, it's an ability the Templar class has. It has like an hour long cooldown though.

Also, judging by the video (or .gif or whatever) it has great graphics, on par with WoW. Any idea what the monthly fee will be?

The graphics are actually somewhat better than WoW. I was getting a constant 60+ FPS with every knob turned up all the way. Granted my computer's fairly old, but still.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

templar759.gif

Also, judging by the video (or .gif or whatever) it has great graphics, on par with WoW. Any idea what the monthly fee will be?

The graphics are actually somewhat better than WoW. I was getting a constant 60+ FPS with every knob turned up all the way. Granted my computer's fairly old, but still.

My comp is a Windows XP, but I know nothing of computers. I don't even remember when my dad bought it.

Ah. You might want to get a new computer then that could run this if you're interested in playing.

Ah. You might want to get a new computer then that could run this if you're interested in playing.

I don't see why an XP computer couldn't run this game flawlessly, provided it meets the specs.

2009rb9.jpg