Never Underestimate the value of the cent

kingmickez25

[yt]Mzc8vS-ac-g[/yt]

1) Do You agree with the methods of the video?

2) Is the lady within her rights of denying the pennys?

3) Why do we have the penny's if we cant do this?

Note: Mods i know there is a thread for youtube videos but i wanted a discussion on this certain

video. if it gets out of hand i will ask for it to be locked but let it run a bit before you lock it

Kingmickez25.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Embedding fail.

You just post the last part of the url in between yt tags.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

It's legal tender. She can't refuse it. Just like the video said, it's a federal crime to refuse legal tender.

As for the questions

Sure, they have every right to pay in whatever method they choose.

No, she is commiting a federal crime by refusing legal tender.

Penny's are generally for the small transactions, but there is no law saying they can't be used for larger purchases.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Pennies are meant for getting exact change. Nobody is going to count out 1,000 pennies to make sure that you fully paid for the $10 item unless it was in rolls.

In fact, these guys didn't count out exactly 3,300 pennies. They got it in rolls from a bank and dumped them into a box.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

First off, here it is. I didn't wan't to go off site - so, yeah.

[yt]Mzc8vS-ac-g[/yt]

Yes of course. They have a right to pay however they want. But being an [wagon] about it - just to score a point and to make a funny video, while the car was towed because the man didn't obey the the laws [when and where he chose to park his car] is unavoidable. I have no qualms about saying that it is "his" fault.

No. But it is an inconvenience for her.

Pennys are useless. It costs so much money for the mint to produce them. And copper is relatively expensive. Same thing is happening here. Our smallest denomination - the 5c piece is going to be phased out within years.

Also, the guy looks like the Sandman from Spiderman 3.

It's legal tender. She can't refuse it. Just like the video said, it's a federal crime to refuse legal tender.

[/b]

I don't know about the US but in the UK, they can legally can choose not to accept anything over a certain ammount in pennies. It's a discretionary thing here although I presume they can still change it over at a bank.

That being said, paying in pennies is just petty when taken to this extreme.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Yes, exactly. The man shouldn't be so angry that he had to wak 10 - 15 miles to his house after his car was towed.

He was the one who parked it where it was clearly not allowed. And hence it was towed. No one's fault but his own.

However if it was towed away for no reason, [highly unlikely], I'm sure this would be much more humourous. But right now, that guy, is acting like a child.

Yes, exactly. The man shouldn't be so angry that he had to wak 10 - 15 miles to his house after his car was towed.

He was the one who parked it where it was clearly not allowed. And hence it was towed. No one's fault but his own.

However if it was towed away for no reason, [highly unlikely], I'm sure this would be much more humourous. But right now, that guy, is acting like a child.

I do agree with that. He shouldn't be angry that he got caught parking where he wasn't supposed to, but he is still allowed to pay in whatever method he chooses.

What I don't like though, is that he is punishing the clerk, even though she did nothing wrong. It was the driver of the tow truck who took his car away, not this poor lady.

No it's not. It's the same thing when places won't accept $50 or $100 dollar bills. Places can accept whatever money they want.

No it's not. It's the same thing when places won't accept $50 or $100 dollar bills. Places can accept whatever money they want.

This is straight from the U.S. treasuries website.

Question- I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

Answer- The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

Source: http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.shtml

I guess they can refuse it if they have a policy that states so, but they just can't refuse payment because they don't want to count it.

Lol at 9:12. :lol:

It might be a hassle, but it's legally okay. Just like towing someone's car is a hassle on them but you're legally allowed to do it, no matter how trivial the parking violation.

Beside the issue of pennies being legal tender, the guy making the video was a complete [wagon]. The woman who had to count the pennies had nothing to do with towing his car, but this guy expects her to count all those pennies just to make a point? And if she assumes there really are $88 of pennies and takes them to the bank, then they have to count them.

Why make someone else's life difficult just because you were stupid enough to get a parking fine?

First off, that video's hilarious.

Second, don't places of business have the right to refuse service to people who are being [bleep]s or something?

Under normal circumstances, yes. You can refuse anyone service if you want (not on a basis of race, gender, religion ect...). However this is entirely different, since they had his car.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

First off, that video's hilarious.

Second, don't places of business have the right to refuse service to people who are being [bleep]s or something?

Under normal circumstances, yes. You can refuse anyone service if you want (not on a basis of race, gender, religion ect...). However this is entirely different, since they had his car.

It's not the woman's job to count pennies. If he wants his car back then he can walk home and roll them up or come up with some bills then come back.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Give it a few years and the cent won't even exist anymore.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

so in retrospec Unless they post a sign stating that you can only pay in certain ways its fair game? :?:

No, that law simply means that they have to acknowledge that pennies are legal tender whether or not they accept them.

Since it is a private business, they can choose to accept payment in whatever form they want, posting a sign is not required. Something analogous would be a high end restaurant with a dress code, they don't need a sign that says formal attire required but they can refuse to serve someone who comes in wearing jeans and a tank top.

I think the main point to that law is a. you have to acknowledge that a penny=1/100 dollars and b. money can be used for any debt.

edit--there may be an exception if the store policy is something very odd; for instance if the store only accepted nickels and 5 dollar bills it may have to post a sign.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

edit--there may be an exception if the store policy is something very odd; for instance if the store only accepted nickels and 5 dollar bills it may have to post a sign.

Does such a store exist? :?

That video was much less awesome then it should have been. That lady had no control over his car being towed. If he had been giving the person who towed his car a hard time, it would be amazing. He was just being a complete jerk, because he's too stupid to know where to park.

mbqyk3.gif

Should've took them, then said she counted them and there was only 7999.

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

Should've took them, then said she counted them and there was only 7999.

That's what i was thinking all this time couldnt they sue or something if they did all of this and it was less then the amount of stated.

+

its not like they counted all them of them they assumed (my guess) that she trusted it was that amunt to get rid of this whole big hassle so they might have gotten ripped

Kingmickez25.png