What movie(s) did you last see?

How2PK

Do you have to watch them all to understand them? Or would I be able to watch The Good, The Bad and the Ugly and still get what was going on?

you could easily understand what was going on by just watching it. but why not watch the others too :P ? if you like westerns they are great, if you dont (like me) they are about the only westerns youll like (once upon a time in the west, and a few others are good)

I wouldn't bet on seeing the other two at Blockbuster.

Maybe I'll watch good bad and ugly then see about getting the other two.

Anyways, this week I have "Capote" (in a few mins) and then mid-next week is "Following".

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Watched Capote.

It was incredibly well put together, in all means. The acting was some of the best I've ever seen (especially if you view the special features after, with stock footage of the real Capote). Hoffman was the role. It was as though he wasn't even acting. It was so perfectly casted it was scary. And if you can believe someone else actually held his own in the scenes with Hoffman, Clifton Collins Jr. was equally incredible...It was one of the most moving performances I've ever seen.

It angers me to no end that William Hurt was nominated for his unimpressive >5 minutes in A History of Violence for best supporting actor, and a stunning performance was completely overlooked. A great misfortune. I just hope to see more from Clifton Collins Jr. in the future.

It was amazingly well directed and cinematographized (that should be a word). It was dark, and cold, and it didn't even seem like these could be actual human beings. And it was amazing.

Definately one of the best movies of last year. If you have any appreciation of drama movies, excellent acting or directing, independant films or finely crafted stories, this is a definite recommend.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Beneath the Planet of the Apes - the original built it self up over the whole movie, to end up being a good movie. this is one of those movies that was trying to ride on the back of the first, and probably did at its time. it doesnt do anything now though. acting was about the same, maybe a little worse than in the first one. nothing really special about it, the whole first hour ive already seen before. not literaly, but it was the same as in the first movie. then it starts to pick up a bit. then it picks up a little more, and the finale is good. the finale isnt as good as the original movie, and overall the movie was nowhere near as good. this movie would only be good for the extreme fans of the series, they might like it.

Escape from the Planet of the Apes - just the same as above, only this one had a stupider story, and never really built up nearly as much. the end was interesting, like all of the planet of the apes movies are. once again just for the fans.

i have conquest of the planet of the apes, and battle for the planet of the apes still to go. dont think im going to watch the tv series unless i get extremely bored, and i have plenty of other movies to watch before then. i might watch the 2001 planet of the apes again, even though ive seen it a few times.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Do you have to watch them all to understand them? Or would I be able to watch The Good, The Bad and the Ugly and still get what was going on?

you could easily understand what was going on by just watching it. but why not watch the others too :P ? if you like westerns they are great, if you dont (like me) they are about the only westerns youll like (once upon a time in the west, and a few others are good)

I wouldn't bet on seeing the other two at Blockbuster.

Maybe I'll watch good bad and ugly then see about getting the other two.

Anyways, this week I have "Capote" (in a few mins) and then mid-next week is "Following".

Originally I watched The Good The Bad And The Ugly first before buying them all. They're only a trilogy in the sense that the main character is the same, there's no storyline running through all three. If you had to choose one i'd go with The Good The And The Ugly

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes

Battle for the Planet of the Apes

ugh, as you can tell from my previous post the first two sequels were progressively worse than the original. these two are also progressively worse, and then to top it off they dont have an interesting ending like the original and first two sequels. at least in the first two sequels after sitting through the movie you were rewarded with a decent end. these give you nothing. definently no plans to watch the tv series, i will probably watch the new version of planet of the apes. seen it before, and i enjoyed it. turns out its a Tim Burton movie, thats probably why.

EDIT: no new replys yet, so ill just edit it in

but first, off topic, imdb links seem to be odd lately. you still only need to link to how much you did before, i dont know what all that extra junk there is.

eh, while im off topic: what the heck happened to our forum? different sections for announcments and stickies? am i going crazy, or has it always been like this, WHATS GOING ON?? (i guess i could go check the announcments board... :lol: )

Planet of the Apes (2001) - alright, lets review for a second. original, very good, interesting ending. next two, progressively worse, but also two interesting endings. last 2 sequels, even worse, not interesting endings. they gave up on the series after that except for tv series, until 2001. i saw this movie in theatres, and saw it a few other times before (my english teacher made the holocaust comparison, he wasnt all that smart :lol: ). i thought i new what to expect. the last time i watched it was in english class, i guess that was 3 years ago now. i watch movies differently now, paying more attention to everything. the review: almost as good as the original, but still lacking the "this is freaking crazy" factor. one good thing tim burton did was not try to bring back the original into this movie. at least if he did, it failed miserably :P . i think it worked out for the better though. a few things were unnecessary (the kid? what point did he have for anything?) but overall a good enough movie. the end is great, almost as good as the end of the original. almost, but not quite.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

V for Vendetta - I must say that this was a very good movie even tho there has been a lot of chat about it recently. It's just something about comic book characters that tend to make me like there movies a lot, that include SpiderMan, X-Men, Etc... For those who are planning on going to see this soon, be ready its one thriller and make sure your ears are cleaned out because its difficult to hear the main character.

The Italian Job (2003)

Personally I agree with people who say I should not share the name with the 1969 version (which is a hell of a lot better than it). Other than a heap of gold through a traffic jam, and using mini's as the getaway vehicle, the similarities end there. While I do enjoy the movie overall. I just find the name to be somehwat inapropriate.

Anyhow, I feel that the writers got sloppy with the end. There was so much more detail to the starting heist of the movie. And then the end was just... sequence after sequence of .. stuff. They did a nice job with the original plan (taking it out of the mansion) and showing how that came to be. But the eventual plan was just sloppy. And I'm picky when someone goes to lengths to make less important items detailed and the parts that matter, rushed.

6.5/10

Sunday:

Season one of The League of Gentlemen which is one of, if not the, funiest things I have EVER seen!

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid which is one of the best westerns I have ever seen.

And yesterday I saw Transamerica which was quite good, and a road movie, and since I love roadmovies it's even better than quite good.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Casablanca and Notorious

what did you think of casablanca? its probably my favorite straight up romance movie.

just got master and comander, i might watch it tonight, id have to start it soon though. lost is on, so ill have to watch half before and half after.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

i loved the acting, and the slighty comical bits here and there. great ending too, although i've hear there are alternates. Very emotional, Good stuff.

I watched Following. Considering the estimated budget (6000$) this was amazing. It was so very Chris Nolan-esque, but it really, really seemed like a dress rehersal for Memento. But that's not to say it isn't a great movie in it's own right.

The plot seemed a bit too much, but still compelling. It twists a lot and while some are good, and it's overall cleverly written, some of them are kind of eye-rolling, since there's so many variables on what could have happened, and it just worked out way too well. But overall I would say it was well written.

The acting was good enough, and I didn't have too much trouble with the accents...It is funny though that they drink out of tiny coffee cups. Is that typical in the UK?

But anyways, the directing was good, especially considering the budget. It looked great in B/w, and I liked some of the techniques.

Overall, and excellent noir-ish crime thriller, if a bit over-the-top.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CR ... d&v=glance

:| *Orgasmn*

YES! im so buying that.

Edit:

im also going to be watching A Clockwork Orange soon.. i heard it was quite a controversy back when it came out, getting an X rating in 71' or 72' i think... i just dont know if im ready.. :| supposed to be an amazing film though.

Aren't those DVD's the critic reviews? Anyway, I'm sure you're ready for Clockwork Orange.

21o4pav.jpg

I watched The Squid and the Whale. I was kind of enjoying it for the first 10 minutes or so...Then it pretty much entirely cut off anything that could be considered comedy (genre=comedy/drama), and went all drama arthouse kind of thing. It was well acted, and relatively well-written, but I'll say it like I've said it before: I just don't like this kind of arthouse-ish movie, and for some reason I keep watching them. It was just too dull to keep my interest once it started getting dramatic, and in an 80 minute movie thats weak. I dunno, it was probably good, just really not my type of movie.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

can anyone suggest a movie by Woody Allen, im doing a paper on him in my film studies class and i cant decide on a film by him.

i was thinking annie hall, or manhattan.

Annie Hall and Manhatten are best choices for the 70's. For the 80's you'd best see The Purple Rose of Cairo and Hannah and her Sisters. For 90's Bullets over Broadway, Mighty Aphrodite and Deconstucting Harry. And for his last work I'd go for Small time crooks and Match Point. Maybe his only Musical as well; Everyone says I love you.

If you're going to write a paper about him you must check out a wider selection of his oevre than two movies he made short after each other in the 70's.

21o4pav.jpg