What movie(s) did you last see?

How2PK

True Romance i said in bubsa's movie villan thread that i was going to watch this today to remember what role gary oldman played. i remembered as soon a few moments after i posted, but i felt like watching the movie anyways. lets just say it now: the only modern romance movie that is just straight up romance that is any good. there are good romance comedies, some really good ones (Fabuleux destin d'Am̮̩̉̉lie Poulain, Le; Lost in Translation to name two), but there hasnt really been any good modern straight up romance movies. none that i can think of off the top of my head anyways. there are many really great old romance movies (casablanca, possibly the best romance movie ever), and i guess the only people that would want to see a straight up romance movies also like old movies, so they have all they need. i dont know why there arent more romance movies, unless my definition of a romance movie is way to narrow (almost all movies have a romantic element to it, so it would be redundant for that to be considered in the romance genre). anyways, even if you dont like romance movies, this is still a great movie. its probably the movie that actually got me to look at romance movies, rather than to immediatly consider them boring.

But what did you think of the movie?

And the type in bold...What does that mean?

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

But what did you think of the movie?

And the type in bold...What does that mean?

basically the bold means: it is the only post 1970 romance movie that is good. there are probably others out there, just cant think of them at the moment. :? i guess i should say that when i say "straight up" i just mean if you were listing the genres of the movie, romance would be the only one. there can be action, and there can be funny parts, but the relationship part would definently be out front and dominant. i barely know what i mean half the time :D

so what did i actually think of the movie?

i think it gets the number 10 spot on my all time favorite movies :P

in other words, its freaking awesome 8)

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

What do you mean Pink Floyd was easy?

And tell me how Corpse Bride is. It's the only animated film I was even pondering renting.

They only stuck feathers up their (Floyd's) behind. They weren't very critical.

I've seen Howl's Moving Castle which was another great movie by studio Ghibli and is deff. must see material. After that I watched something that wasn't really 'must see' material and that's Corpse Bride because it wasn't very good. The story was way too simple (I can live with that), the songs weren't fun, the jokes weren't that good, didn't have those funny references and spoofs, overall it didn't set the right mood. Maybe the fanboys think it's good but they swallow everything Burton gives them, I don't. So Putter, if you want to rent an animation go for Howl's moving castle and skip Corpse Bride.

BTW Indy, if you liked True Romance you should see Wild at Heart by David Lynch as well. They're quite similar. :)

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

i dont even think ed nortons performance was all that great. wasnt bad, just wasnt up to snuff. well, ill leave it at that.

That would be because he didn't want to be in it. It was part of his contract or whatever that he had to be in the next movie that got thrown his way because he'd already passed on so many other roles.

Even if he did do a good job at it, the movie still would've been bland. At least IMO.

That would be because he didn't want to be in it. It was part of his contract or whatever that he had to be in the next movie that got thrown his way because he'd already passed on so many other roles.

Even if he did do a good job at it, the movie still would've been bland. At least IMO.

that actually makes me feel better, knowing that he didnt want to do it. and id agree, probably still would have been bland even if he had an awesome performance.

BTW Indy, if you liked True Romance you should see Wild at Heart by David Lynch as well. They're quite similar.

i definently enjoyed lynch's muholland drive (even though i didnt understand it) so ill look it up :D

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

School of Rock - i have nothing against jack black, in fact ive actually enjoyed his performances a lot in a few movies (king kong, high fidelity.) he was good for this part, in my opinion. the movie just wasnt for me. i dont know who it was for, since it seems a little to mature for the age group that probably would want to see it. there was a plot, and a moral to the story, just none of it was interesting. maybe if you are really into rock music, i dont know, give it a try.

I saw that a week or two ago for the first time. I found bits of it good (for isntance, the "you're not hardcore unless you live hardcore" (or similar) part). I thought the plot was pretty flawed, however. I mean, I could suspend my disbelief at no one realising what was going on, but I still thought it was a bit far fetched for a film where most of the rest of it was made out to be plausible.

BTW Indy, if you liked True Romance you should see Wild at Heart by David Lynch as well. They're quite similar.

i definently enjoyed lynch's muholland drive (even though i didnt understand it) so ill look it up :D

You do that, its great!

Robin Hood Prince of Thieves - A bit standard, but good for an evening of easy entertainment. A great role by Rickman that really did a great spoof of the Sherrif!

The Wizzard of Oz - A classic that didnt realy survived time as it is way too sassy at some moments. But its the story I still dream about as a big boy. Without a doubt a movie that you shouldve seen atleast two times in your life; once as a kid and once when youre grown up!

Did I mention I saw Get Rich or Die Tryin a few days ago? Its not that bad as everybody says. Its just easy to bash Fiddy. Not a good movie, but deff. not one of the worst Ive seen and deff. not erning the number 28 spot at the the IMDB bottom top 100, which prooves again that IMDb is just a place for little children to moan and moan about uninteresting movies for their own entertainment.

21o4pav.jpg

The Wizzard of Oz - A classic that didnt realy survived time as it is way too sassy at some moments. But its the story I still dream about as a big boy. Without a doubt a movie that you shouldve seen atleast two times in your life; once as a kid and once when youre grown up!

just a little side note my teacher told me: wizard of oz was originally a story about american isolationism during WWI. the author thought we should have just stayed home, hence the line "theres no place like home." theres many, many other metaphors in the movie, supposedly they are much more clear in the novel though.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

just a little side note my teacher told me: wizard of oz was originally a story about american isolationism during WWI. the author thought we should have just stayed home, hence the line "theres no place like home." theres many, many other metaphors in the movie, supposedly they are much more clear in the novel though.

It's more about the period right up to that. The gold standard, the silver standard, the progressive party, the progressive party candidate(I forget the rest)

Oh yea, disgusting messages shine trough during the movie. But it's so old/outdated that everybody can see trough it.

21o4pav.jpg

I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It was pretty good, not quite as good as the hype would suggest, but still quite good. It was pretty insane, and at times a bit hard to follow, but not too bad. I liked how the story flowed though, as if you fell behind it wouldn't leave ya. It was written crazily, I can't imagine coming up with that screenplay. And the directing was great and really made the film flow well. Good acting in all parts. Good movie. Top 100, I'd say.

Next week, part 2 of 2 of my "When comedians do Drama": I'll be watching Punch-Drunk Love. As for this weekend, we'll have to see what's out (probably won't go see MI:3, looks like it warrants a rental rather than going to movies).

Oh yeah, and in case you were wondering (I know you weren't, don't lie!) I've now seen 39 of the top 50 imdb.com movies. Hope to make it to 45 in the not-to-distant future. There's about 5 on there that I prolly won't be able to rent/catch on TV, or don't want to see.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Oh yeah, and in case you were wondering (I know you weren't, don't lie!) I've now seen 39 of the top 50 imdb.com movies. Hope to make it to 45 in the not-to-distant future. There's about 5 on there that I prolly won't be able to rent/catch on TV, or don't want to see.

i might bump up the "what movies have you seen from the imdb top 250" topic, if i can find it :lol: . i havent seen 6 of them, but i am watching sunset boulevard right now so im only missing 5.

just out of curiosity, which ones dont you want to see?

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

i might bump up the "what movies have you seen from the imdb top 250" topic, if i can find it :lol: . i havent seen 6 of them, but i am watching sunset boulevard right now so im only missing 5.

just out of curiosity, which ones dont you want to see?

Well...Actually I can only see one or two that aren't on my too-see list, which is already about 50 movies long: Der Undertang (mostly because this wouldn't be at Blockbuster or on TV, so I'll probably never see it,) Spirited Away (Its not that I don't want to see it, it's just not a high priority). That's about it, but I won't be able to get The Third Man (not available on DVD in my area, aparently), may be able to catch Lawrence of Arabia on TV, tho I've been checking TV guide for about a year (dig this: Spartacus has only been TV once in the past year, and I missed it by accident...But it was on in French another time). That's about it.
bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Well...Actually I can only see one or two that aren't on my too-see list, which is already about 50 movies long: Der Undertang (mostly because this wouldn't be at Blockbuster or on TV, so I'll probably never see it,) Spirited Away (Its not that I don't want to see it, it's just not a high priority). That's about it, but I won't be able to get The Third Man (not available on DVD in my area, aparently), may be able to catch Lawrence of Arabia on TV, tho I've been checking TV guide for about a year (dig this: Spartacus has only been TV once in the past year, and I missed it by accident...But it was on in French another time). That's about it.

heh, der untergang, spirited away, and lawrence of arabia are 3 of the 5 i havent seen yet :lol: third man was awesome though 8) . you scared me with Spartacus, at first i thought it might have been in the top 50 and i missed it. definently going to buy that one, have to increase my stanely kubrick collection...

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

All the Ghibli studio movies have got a brand new DVD-release not so long ago in the US. Der Untergang is also pretty well known and new, and the Third Man is available on Criterion Collection. :P

Der Untergang

Sen to chihiro no kamikakushi (Yes I know the orignal title out of my head now 8) )

The Third Man

Three links to a good Canadian webshop. :P

21o4pav.jpg

The last movie I saw were:

- Underworld Evolution (2006)

- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)

- Just Like Heaven (2005)

Every path you have trod, through wilderness and through war, has led to this road...

All the Ghibli studio movies have got a brand new DVD-release not so long ago in the US. Der Untergang is also pretty well known and new, and the Third Man is available on Criterion Collection. :P

Der Untergang

Sen to chihiro no kamikakushi (Yes I know the orignal title out of my head now 8) )

The Third Man

Pah! I don't want to spend $110 bucks for 3 movies! But thanks for the help...
bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Pah! I don't want to spend $110 bucks for 3 movies! But thanks for the help...

It's only Canadian. :wink:

21o4pav.jpg

i recently rented bad news bears

a remake of an old film

billy bob thorton plays a drunken pest killer he then gets asked to coach a baseball team that well sucks pretty predictable story yea i know but i enjoyed it it was funny 9.5 outta 10

mr0solitaire.png

Currently playing... WoW - C:SS

Taking a huge break from rs.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ar&n=Nelaz

I watched Fun With [bleep] and Jane. I know, I know, I know, this isn't gonna win any awards, but I enjoyed it. The timing was right (I had a pretty bad day, and I was tired by the time I watched it, and I laugh more when tired). I had a good time, even though I didn't find it to be that funny. But I supposed having a good time is what it's about, eh?

I can't wait til I get my own place, and can watch more movies later at night, I seem to enjoy watching movies more late at night. And here at home, I could easily watch them on my PC, or in my other DVD player in my computer room, but it's noisier in here, less comfortable, and I don't have the like Surround Sound thing going on.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Mission: Impossible 3. Like the second one, I think that this movie was nothing special. I view the plotas boring and some ofthe action sequences were out of a video game. There were 2 twists that I noticed, one about halfway through, and one right at the end. The one about halfway through was barely touched and had almost no developement, while the one at the end, well it happened at the end so again, there was no developement. The character developement was little to none(except towards the begining, in which you could say that there was some, but not really). The characters didn't grow in anyway possible except in the ego from what they had accomplished. Some of the action sequences were good and new(such as the air-to-ground strike on the bridge, seen in the previews) but there included things that just didn't make sense. Such as after Tom Cruise's fly into the car(also seen in the previews) he just gets up. There is no way in any movie that a person could be shoved into a car at that speed and just get up. I wasn't really looking forward to the movie, so I went in with low expectations(I actually went to the movies to see Thank You for Smoking, but got there about 15 minutes after it started). 5/10

That reads really choppy and incomplete, but I don't know how to conclude it or the best way to improve it.

Edit: after posting this I decided to watch

A Few Good Men Which was a bit slow and Tom Cruise had a better performence than in MI3. The ending was what made the movie.

and

Naruto Movie 2 Which altogether wasn't so bad, and was a helluva lot better than the first, and since noone who is reading this will watch this movie I won't bother to write about it.

El Maquinista - Quite freaky, been a while since I've been on the edge of my seat for a thriller. Miss Leigh has got good looking breasts. 8-)

21o4pav.jpg