What movie(s) did you last see?

How2PK

I just saw the departed yesterday. A great movie. I love plot twists and turns, along with gang movies, so it was a natural match. I recommend it to anyone who likes those kinds of movies even remotely.

but I just got a copy of 8 1/2! I found one awhile ago and it was 40$(collector's edition or something) and I only had 30$ at the time. This time is was 20$ going to watch it later this week.

Ah! Finally. One of my favorite movies. ^.^ Did you get the criterion release?

Unforgiven <3<3<3 Very, very good. I don't think there's a single thing that I don't like about this movie. Perhaps the dialogue between Clint and the cut up lady of pleasure could've kept out. As it didn't add much to the movie and it was a bit cheesy.

Adam, did you see the origninal HK-Thrillers on which the Departed is based? The Infernal Affairs trilogy. :)

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

but I just got a copy of 8 1/2! I found one awhile ago and it was 40$(collector's edition or something) and I only had 30$ at the time. This time is was 20$ going to watch it later this week.

Unforgiven <3<3<3 Very, very good. I don't think there's a single thing that I don't like about this movie. Perhaps the dialogue between Clint and the cut up lady of pleasure could've kept out. As it didn't add much to the movie and it was a bit cheesy.

Adam, did you see the origninal HK-Thrillers on which the Departed is based? The Infernal Affairs trilogy. :)

I've heard about them, haven't seen them though.

Det Sjunde inseglet - So far my favourite Ingmar Bergman film. I loved the story, the setting, the acting, everything. You see a lot of the same actors/actresses that Bergman uses in his other films, they must all like working together. I thought they did great. The movie moved a little faster than his other ones also, which is good for me. Like his other movies this one also was about religion, in this one the knight looking for the knowledge of God, and he is looking for it from the Devil. Great movie, everyone should see.

EDIT: Can't stop watching movies...

Spartacus - Directed by Stanley Kubrick, with Kirk Douglas as the main actor. We've had this formula before with Paths of Glory, and it worked out awesomely. It did for this movie also. It is about a slave uprising against the Roman Empire. Itt may not be historically accurate, but I don't care too much about that. It also has an epic-type battle in it, probably one of the first if not the first movie to have it (made in 1960). It seems like half the movies today have an epic battle at the end, but I haven't see it in the older movies. Overall a pretty good movie, but a little on the long side.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

You should go for the five hour version of Fanny och Alexander, Indy. :) It's totally awesome, and FAST. It's Bergman's last movie as a director. There's an amazing box released by criterion. It contains:

The five hour t.v. version (<3)

The three hour cinema version

and copied right of the criterion website the extras:

Ingmar BergmanÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s feature-length documentary The Making of Fanny and Alexander, presented here for the first time on DVD in a new high-definition digital transfer

Ingmar Bergman Bids Farewell to Film, a 60-minute conversation between Bergman and Nils Petter Sundgren made for Swedish television in 1984

Audio commentary on the theatrical version by film scholar Peter Cowie

A Bergman Tapestry: Fanny and Alexander, a new documentary featuring exclusive interviews with cast and crew

Rare introductions by Bergman to eleven of his films

Those are most important extras, you've got some trailers and stills as well. It's around 50 USD I think.

Last night I've seen Yojimbo (hey, it's kurosawa rewatch week ;)). And it was very good. I don't have anything to say about it.

21o4pav.jpg

Cache or Hidden - Was very good, supposed to be the first great film of the 21st centuary and i would have to agree. Very well made by Haneke, and the performances by all were incredible.

From the short bursts of violence that left me on edge, and with my hands to my face purley out of shock. The narrative was good, with an important underlying message that hits deep in the french nation today. Cold, shocking and true in it's message.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Not as far as I know. I'm pretty sure it's just the normal version. What's the difference between the versions?

I have a funny story about this movie. After it won oscar for best picture (must have been like '93?), my friend and I decided to go see it. Knowing that it won oscar, we knew it must be a good movie. About 5 minutes into it, he leans over and says, "dude, I've seen this". I reply, "really? that sucks". A couple minutes later, I realized I knew the next line and said before the characted on screen did. Damn...I'd seen it too. As it turns out, we had seen it TOGETHER and both forgot...LOL! In our defense, it had been several months before and they we still running it cuz it had just won oscar and I'm sure we had some self-induced memory destruction going on. We walked out and went into another movie.

Not as far as I know. I'm pretty sure it's just the normal version. What's the difference between the versions?

The Criterion one has got a lot of extras. You can regonize it at the small white letters at the top of the DVD cover saying "The Criterion Collection" and a spine number as well.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=3637

Glad to see you liked Cacḫ̩̉̉, Satenza. Did you see it in cinema? Or on DVD? When I saw it first time in cinema I hadn't heard anything about that shocking moment, it was horrible to see. And when I saw it the second time in cinema, I was really like 'waiting' for that moment, but it was, surprisingly, horrifying.

pfilc23, haha, that's funny. :P I can entirely imagine the situation, you're in the big black room, one bends over with a funny face in bill and ted style (early 90's uh:P) and says "Dude...? I've seen this". :D

21o4pav.jpg

Last films i watched were Any given sunday, the wedding singer, the goonies and Critters. Classics :)

Goonies in my absolute, positive, #1 favorite movie of all time! "Goonies never say die!" I've probably watched it 100+ times.

My recent viewings:

Just Friends - actually this is pretty funny. I suppose you have to like Ryan Reynolds to enjoy it.

The Island (2nd time) - I feel asleep 1/2 way thru 1st time, so it was good to see what I missed. This is a pretty dcent sci-fi story. Scarlett is always enjoyable to watch, imo.

The Science of Sleep - saw this at small theater that plays only indie films. This movie is by Michael Gendry (I think that's right), who also did Eternal Sushine of the Spotless Mind. I didn't like SoS as much, though I must say it was fairly creative. It's kind of a hard movie to describe. It goes back and forth between the main character's dreams and reality. All in all, it left me want a bit more from the movie. I liked the intentions, it just didn't seem to come across as well as I think it could have.

Glad to see you liked Cacḫ̩̉̉, Satenza. Did you see it in cinema? Or on DVD? When I saw it first time in cinema I hadn't heard anything about that shocking moment, it was horrible to see. And when I saw it the second time in cinema, I was really like 'waiting' for that moment, but it was, surprisingly, horrifying.

Biggest screen in the biggest cinema in the city. Opened specially for us to see it. I had not heard anything about that scene before-hand either, I prefer not to know much about movies before I see them. Then i research into them.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Children of Men - Not all that great. The main thing is: it looks really, really good. And using King Crimson in your soundtrack gives you a plus as well. Other than that, I could never get involved the least bit, and that wouldn't be that bad if it had some depth to compensate this. But this wasn't the case either. Too bad; good concept, average workout. 6.5

21o4pav.jpg

Jaws - Last time I saw this movie was a very, very long time ago. I decided to rewatch it so I could mark it off the Top 250 list :D . I really had no drive to watch it, from what I remembered, it was boring. How horribly wrong I was. This movie is great, and I can definently understand it being in every top 100 list. It kept me on the edge of my seat a lot, and that's much more than I can say about most thriller movies. Maybe that is because I am not a big fan of water either. Awesome movie. "We're going to need a bigger boat!"

EDIT:

The Killing - A Stanley Kubrick Film Noir. That pretty much should explain it fully. Awesome. Great story, and a killer ending.

EDIT 2:

The Fountainhead - Movie adaptations of books sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. For example, the LOTR movies worked out really well. This one was the exact opposite. For being one of my favourite books, the movie sucked. The acting wasn't very good, and nothing was nearly as good as I pictured it in my head. I'm going to go as far as to say the story wasn't done very well either. Supposedly Ayn Rand wrote the screenplay, she is much better at writing books. Now my opinion on this movie will be very, very biased because of how I feel about the book. I will say I disliked this movie, more than I have disliked most movies lately. If you do want to watch the movie, make sure you read the book first.

The Elephant Man - Less crazy than the other David Lynch movies I've seen. It's probably not for everyone, but I really enjoyed it. Anthony Hopkins was great, as was John Hurt. I really enjoyed the story.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Irr̮̩̉̉versible. This is the first movie I watch I agree with the age restrictions. Could traumatize people.

Seconds that. I'm not usually making a point against violence in movies but that was just over the top. And uselessly so.

Meh, I saw an interesting movie. There's this movie festival in my city and they show anthropological movies and documentaries from various countries. (http://www.astrafilm.ro). And I saw this movie, 'The Curse of the Hedgehog' it was called, a documentary about a Gypsy community. The director went with a few of them and followed them around as they made broomsticks and baskets from the wood that they cut and then go to villages to sell them. They were very poor and didn't have much luck to sell stuff, the villagers were bargaining with them all the time even though the prices were very low to begin with, and some of them didn't even let them inside the yard because they didn't trust them.The reason they didn't trust them was that other Gypsies were not honest workers, but thieves and beggars. Despite the fact that they were really extremely poor, they were strangely light-hearted most of the time. At some point they trusted the director enough to tell him about the tragedies in their lives. A woman for instance had lost her 17 year old son, and her husband was bed-ridden and unable to work at all, so you sort of wondered what joy could this woman get out of life. Yet they carried on somehow, which was interesting to see. A thing I can somewhat relate to is that one can find humour and even a sort of sadistic pleasure in the adversities of life, if one is not alone and shares them with others. These people had just the personality for that. And the weird thing was that the characters were quite likeable and funny, and natural (with a few exceptions). Weird for me because I've seen other movies about Gypsies, which are usually made because of this pro-European Union propaganda of helping minorities and such and they all seemed to be a bit, well, propagandistic. This documentary had a natural feel to it, and that was mainly why I liked it. I admit I am among the people who are 'on guard' (observe the avoidance of the term 'prejudiced') when it comes to Gypsies. I'm not saying this movie made me love them (and I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed a movie about the Gypsy thieves and beggars, no matter how much sentimental propaganda would have gone into it). But I ended up feeling interested and sympathetic for the people in the movie.

In conclusion, good movie. I hope it becomes more famous and can be seen around the world.

"Metal isn't about violence or faggy whiny lyrics. It isn't even about who plays the heaviest and fastest. It is about invoking a sense of wonder and magnitude that no other genre can depict."

bluarosezk0.jpg

Irr̮̩̉̉versible. This is the first movie I watch I agree with the age restrictions. Could traumatize people.

So if you are 16 years old you could be traumatized by this movie, but when you're 18 you couldn't be. Age restrictions are worthless.

Went to the cinema yesterdayevening to see Morir en San Hilario which absolutely sucked. It has got a pretty nice and sympathetic story. But nothing is really done with it. It's mainly uninteresting and boring, with a nice SHOT here and there.

21o4pav.jpg

All The President's Men

I didn't know much about the watergate scandal before I saw this, but I still really enjoyed the way this movie went. There was nothing over the top about it, it was just a killer political plot and some good acting. Robert Redford was especially good.

Pulp Fiction

First time i've watched it through properly, and I loved it. Easily one of the coolest and most enjoyable films i've ever seen.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

8 ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâý This movie is different. It was harder to keep the characters straight at the begining becaue I was more focused on reading the subtitles(Italians speak so fast O.O). But it is definately a different movie and not what I expected. I don't know how to talk about it because the way the movie was built around the main character is just so different. It's a movie about random events that seem to fit together for a bigger picture that you get at the end. 9/10

The Prestige It's not a bad watch, but the whole thing comes together far too fast, and I didn't like the very last shot before the credits. The last shot was suppose to have the movie climax, or shock you, but it didn't in any way. It just showed you what you could have already figured out, assuming you were following the story. 6/10