What movie(s) did you last see?

How2PK

Firefly Hmm, what a cool series! I fell in love with Serenity, Mal and his crew right away. It's so funny, and I'm loving all the genre combinations. Too bad it has been cancelled. I can't really see why, or maybe I can, but I'm not sure if that's the reason. It never really got anywhere, while it had so much potential. And that's really too bad. Because it's a lot of fun to watch, but it's a lot of the same as well. Sill I enjoyed the series a lot, and too bad I won't see any more of them.

Serenity So, after the series, I wanted to see the movie right away. But I was a little bit dissapointed. There wasn't much left of the genre mix I loved so much, not much western influences anymore, ditched the great score (except for the ending titles), and well, a little of the magic went down. Because of it being a lot darker and all, less humor etc. I still thought it was a quality movie, which looked very nice (though the damn lighting was annoyig at some moments), and it was pretty exciting at some points as well. I just thought it didn't really follow the series well, style wise.

Jurassic Park One of Spielberg's best. He's pressing the limits once more on special effects. But the entire concept of reviving Dinasaurs, like controlling them etc. is very nice as well. And well, all the marketing tricks in the movie itself are quite clever as well. Though it can be seen as a critique as well. And of course I'm totally diggin' the score, and childhood memories are always good. Hmm, just imagine that you would be one of the first to make a movie like this. It must have been awesome.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park Where part one was really good. This one has a lot less to offer, and well, kind of drags on with a lot of pointless scenes. At some moments still entertaining though. Thanks to Jeff Goldblum. But overall it's pretty average. A typical sequel.

Did I already say that you all should go see BRICK?

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Apocalypse Now

I saw this last night and I was probally awake abour three hours just thinking it over. It was truelly brilliant. For the first half of the film, it was just a very good war movie, but once they started up the river it got darker and darker. The final sequence was amazing and it left me reeling.

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

The Rock - when i was a young lad this was one of my favourite movies. probably because it cussed in it, and i could only watch it at friends house's because of that. like a generic michael bay movie, it is generic. this is a generic action movie. i keep on saying generic because it really is generic, there isnt anything special about it. like other michael bay movies, it was ok to watch. would by no means ever come close to being called a great movie, but it was kind of fun to watch.

Leon - The Professional - second favourite movie, i love it. probably reviewed it two or three times, so yeah, great movie.

Brick - looked for it as soon as daan said i should see it, but it was $20 and i dont normally pay that much for a movie that i havent seen before. so i "aquired" it through different means. ill start off by saying it definently would have been worth it. ill follow that by saying daans review pretty much summed it up, this movie was freaking awesome.

I mean, how cool is it to have high-school students saying these typical noir lines.

ill admit after reading that i was a little scared. i didnt think it was going to work out very well. so i went into the movie ready to criticize their acting. but to my suprise, it was great. definently everyone should see this.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

"South Park" seasons 1-10 - took a while to watch them all, but i more or less watched them all in order. ive seen every single episode before, i thought there would be one or two i havent seen, but apperantly not. actually i take that back. i didnt watch the "pip" episode, that one was the first time. they were all great, of course. im sure most already hold an opinion on it, wether or not they've seen it.

Orgazmo - heh, this is a movie written and directed by trey parker, one of the two co-creators of southpark. wont say too much about it so i dont break any of tip.it's family centered rules :wink: . matt stone (the other creator of southpark) has a little part in this movie too. funny movie, but definently not one you want to watch with your parents.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

See everybody? Indy liked it as well! Go see it! :D

How much are you getting paid again? :P

:P

seriously though, it is a great movie. even if it turns out you watched it and didnt like it, youll have to admit it was a very, very interesting way to do the movie, and it was done well.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Mean Girls a couple of days ago. A bit stupid. But not as bad as expected, it was quite nice to be honest.

[edit] I forgot to ask this. But during the movie there was this huge party at home, parents gone. You know the drill, often used in teenage flicks. But now I was wondering. Where does this come from? Is it just made up. Or does this type of stuff like, really happen? Parents gone, then like 50 people come to your home and you drink, everybody is all over te house etc. Is this something typical American? Because I never seen it happen here with my friends.

21o4pav.jpg

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang Pff. I expected this to be a fun movie, but it was annoying. It didn't start up easy, and then after 20 minutes or so they opened the box of visual tricks. Which didn't do much good to the entire atmosphere. The characters were annoying, and so were the actors. And the story was too hard to follow. All in all I thought it was a very annoying over-ambitious movie that wants to be like, nonchalant, hip and funny, but takes itself way too seriously. I didn't like anything from it and this movie shows the director (shane black) lacks a feel for somewhat more mature cinema.

21o4pav.jpg

I forgot to ask this. But during the movie there was this huge party at home, parents gone. You know the drill, often used in teenage flicks. But now I was wondering. Where does this come from? Is it just made up. Or does this type of stuff like, really happen? Parents gone, then like 50 people come to your home and you drink, everybody is all over te house etc. Is this something typical American? Because I never seen it happen here with my friends.

well i live in the uk and i party anytime my parents, or any of my mates parents for that matter, are out for more than one night, and it can be arranged in less than 2 hours aswell... i managed to keep it up for 2 weeks... my body didnt like me after those 2 weeks...

i saw crank last week, it was awesome... fast paced all the way through, i thought it rocked... couldnt really tell what was coming next through most of it, although some of it did make me, and the rest of the cinema (it was packed) laff.

monster house. ok so a kids film, rather funny at points although i did go with mates, it was only us in there and stupid, yet appropriate, comments the whole way though from us made it bearable.

probs goin to see beerfest tomorrow.

-Destroy Topham-

Punk_Man666.png

Punk_man666.png

I watched my first movie in a while: United 93. Regardless of what you think about conspiracies, or how accurate you think this could be, you can't deny that this is an almost painfully powerful movie. It's so seems so subtle, so real, so human. I can't tell whether I'm actually sick or the movie made me, but I gotta tell you it was very intense. It also reinforces the fact that everyone involved is only human; it's very easy to blame all the officials for not acting fast enough and all that, but when you actually get to see them (or in this case, a portrayal that appears to be somewhat accurate), you see that their reactions are only human. I quite liked this movie; not one I'd want to watch every day but I liked it very much.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Airplane! Of course everybody knows this already. So I think I can say that it's one of the best in it's genre. <3

The Third Man Unbelievably good, but that's old news. Everything in this movie is right, but that's old news. Man, I LOVE this moie, but that's old news.

To Kill a Mockingbird and another great film. Gregory Peck is really great as Atticus, the role really fits him. And Brock Peters as Tom Robinson, how amazing was he in the courtroom scene? Every shot is well thought of and everything is perfectly timed, which is together with Peck and Robinson, the main reason why this movie is, IMO, one of the most powerfull ones ever made. A great lesson and well, must see.

Saboteur Not a great Hitch IMO. Mainly because Robert Cummings is pretty horrible and the movie keeps follows a nasty pattern (it keeps repeating itself). There's some nice moments though.

21o4pav.jpg

raising cain - john lithgow is so much more than just 3rd rock from sun. Something that is not suitable for all. Something that is suitable to those who enjoy movies that are not just let-it-flow-in-front-of-your-eyes (I guess you know what I mean).

I really liked it.

mini-eerikki.jpeg

runemetsauserbar.jpg

[Star Wreck][PM me][My gallery][DeviantArt][Cool T-shirts!]

[iron Sky - Trailer is now out!]

The Usual Suspects Seen it before, figured I should see it again this weekend. So I did, I don't really see why people adore this movie so much. Sure, it's well written, clever, maybe even mysterious. And it basically is Spacey's big breaktrough. But all that love. I don't get it. It's just not my thing, I guess.

Le Locataire Perhaps better known as Polanski's THE TENANT. And this was pretty great. Of course Polanski was already known to be good at the horror genre with REPULSION and ROSEMARY'S BABY, and he was quite clever in comedy with CUL-DE-SAC, THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS and WHAT? But he's combining both skills in this movie, which is, for the fans, quite nice to see; more Polanski, and more Polanski at his best. But I reckon that for the normal moviegoer it isn't that interesting, and Polanski's sense of humor and his absurdities are perhaps even hard to appreciate. Good for me, I do appreciate it, and couldn't get enough of the three previously mentioned comedies. So I was happy see it combined. Polanski did good at not letting the often upcomming comedy feel overshadow the mystery/horror side of the story, it's nicely balanced. Gives you a smile while watching, but leaves you haunted afterwards.

21o4pav.jpg

Haeckel's Tale From the Masters of Horror series. Directed by Mcnaughton (whom you all know from Harry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, and perhaps from Wild Things) and it's written by Clive Barker (Hellraiser). That can't be bad. And it wasn't. Of course here and there it's flawed a little bit, and the acting is somewhat stiff. But damn, what a lovely atmosphere. You know, that really cosey itswinterandyourewarminsidebythefireplaceandascarystorygetstoldwhileyourehavinghotchocolateandcookies atmosphere. :P And of course the classic horror story mixed with all that necromancy, really cool. Plus, Leela Savasta is HOT and the Orgy of the Death is a perfect climax. A very fun short horror movie!

Sick Girl This one is also from the MoH series, this tyime by Lucky Mckee, who I haven't heard of before. This one was fun as well. Lacked a bit of atmosphere, but it had a lot of humor and a topless Erin Brown making out with the hot Angela Bettis, and that makes everything good.

21o4pav.jpg

I actually watched these first two movies almost two weeks ago, I just haven't posted in a while.

Alfred Packer: The Musical - I think I have reviewed this one before. I may have even reviewed it a few times. I'll just say that I love everything Matt Stone has put his hands on. I think he is a genious. That is highly debatable, so I will put on the disclaimer that it is only my opinion.

Mallrats - A Kevin Smith movie, so it is automatically pretty funny (we will ignore Jersey Girl for the sake of simplicity). I like the humour, and I like the actors. None of them are brilliant actors, I just like them. A lot of people hate Ben Affleck for some reason, but I've always liked him as an actor. Then again, I also like Tom Cruise as an actor so my tastes are a little different :P .

These next two I watched yesterday. That was I think ten days without watching a movie. Been too busy.

Appurusḫ̨̉̉do - Appleseed for all those non Japanese speaking people out there (like me :D ). I was reading a story on Fark the other day about the "Top Ten Animated Movies." This list absolutely sucked, all the movies on it were pretty average. On the comment thread was where I found out about a lot of animated movies. Apperantly this one is on a lot of peoples' lists. I didn't really think it was anything special. I don't watch much (read: none) anime so this was kind of something new. It turned out to be pretty generic though, and the things I find stupid about anime were in it. It wasn't completly anime though, there was a good amount of CGI in it. If I give them one thing it would be that it looked nice a lot of the time.

The Nightmare Before Christmas - Written by Tim Burton, not one of the ones he has directed. It is all animated, so that is probably why. This was another one that was listed a lot in that Fark comment thread. I understand this one there though, it was awesome. It was very, very odd, and definently had a Tim Burton feel to it. That is a good thing of course. I really enjoyed this movie, a good Christmas time movie.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

waywardbp1.jpg

Tian bian yi duo yun (The Wayward Cloud) - Very good. I don't think I've ever seen such an absurd movie. It's goes from sex with watermelons to the greatest kitsch even put on celluoid. It has got these long, dialogueless shots, with great cinematography. And then suddendly *cut*. And you'll experience the most hysterical musical scenes ever. For some the two hour running time is a bit too long, but I wasn't bored a minute. The scene in the basements with all the erotic movies, and the first 'intemate' scene between hsiou-kang and Shiang-Chyi was the best, IMO. Together with the ending [spoilerhsiou-kang is an actor in erotic movies, but the woman in the movie has fainted (reason is unknown), but they have to keep shooting. So you seem him do these absurd scenes (quite explicitly btw) with this lifelessbody. All this happens while his new 'girlfriend', shiang-chyi is watching. Which results in very powerfull scene with an amazing climax

Those who can appreciate these kind of movies know that for theirselves. So I can safely say it is a recommendation. 8/10

21o4pav.jpg

Ooh, it's going to be my first film by the sea festival day this year! Last year was pretty great with shooting dogs. I hope todays movie can surprise me as well.

Starting at 11 (in the morning) with World Trade Center, after that having lunch and going in to Zwartboek (the first Dutch verhoeven in two decenia or something) and then at 5 we're going to see Stormbreaker. After that we'll have some quick kebab and we're off to the FILM BY THE SEA MOVIE QUIZ which we'll hopefully, and most likely, win. :D

21o4pav.jpg

Watership Down - Based off of the novel. The novel is supposed to be really good, I haven't read it yet, but the movie was good. I don't know if I have the main point of the movie right or not, but I beleive it is anti-totalitarian. The rabbits are trying to become free from the tyranny of other rabbits. There is probably an underlying meaning about human development destroying nature, but except for the beginning I didn't see much of it. It was really weird at times, in the good way. Fiver was a strange charachter. If anyone has seen Donnie Darko, you see a clip of Watership Down in the classroom. Fiver: Hazel, look... the field... it's covered with blood! The animation is good enough, and the voice acting is good enough. The bird was kind of annoying, but I think it was supposed to be. Overall I would definently recommend this if you are looking for an animated movie.

Fantasia - This is definently a good animated movie, but it is a little slow. Doesn't really hook you into it, since it is really a few stories put together. I enjoyed the music, which is the main reason why I watched it. The end was really, really good.

@Daan: I just "acquired" Wayward Cloud, it was tought to find. There isn't a US release of it, so I had to use other methods... Took a while, it better be worth it :P .

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Heh, wel. If you like absurd movies, it is. :P

Anyway, the festival day today:

World Trade Center (Oliver Stone) - bad.

Zwartboek (Paul Verhoeven) - very good.

Stormbreaker (Geoffrey Sax) - great fun! An excellent role by Nighy. Overall it was hilarious!

And then, the quiz. There were new kids on the block, and they won. After 100 questions they had 86.5 points and won the quiz. We were a very close second with 85 points. But they had 5 members in their team, and we only had three. :) The quiz was very hard. The movie quotes part was hardest. Because it wasn't readable quotes. It was spoken only, and not in English, as they were suposed to be. But dubbed in German! We had only 4 out of 10 movies on that part. But it was great fun! And we got a huge trophey. Too bad the prices and organisation sucked a bit this year.

21o4pav.jpg