Mother Gaia: An In-Depth Manual to Farming

Zaaps1

im a tad confused about the part with the herbs under "farming run". there is not herb patch wher your dot says. it is a cactus patch

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

Hmm, I mentioned this before:

Even though trees die 1-10 times without payment, I wonder in which cases its better to pay for every tree. 2 reasons.

1.) you are guaranteed the xp.

2.) You are guaranteed the fruit.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Cowmaster, that's because I recommend farming your cactus with your herbs.

Stonewall, that's true, but for the only case that really matters (other than periodic exceptions), yews are way to expensive to pay for anyway.

If an item is being merched, I have always stayed away from it. I would just buy maples, or if you are adamant on getting fast xp, maybe even magics if the price gets high enough.

Have you done any testing on what the best herb is for gp/xp ratio? EG, lants may be less profit/seed then snaps, but if the xp gained is great enough, you are saving on tree seeds. Just something I was wondering.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Have you done any testing on what the best herb is for gp/xp ratio? EG, lants may be less profit/seed then snaps, but if the xp gained is great enough, you are saving on tree seeds. Just something I was wondering.

Pretty easy to calculate. Find the difference in profit per 5 seeds, that's how much you would be "paying" for the difference in xp per 5 seeds. Divide and you have a gp/xp ratio. If it is higher than what you pay for trees, it's not worth it.

• 1 month later...

Going to start toward 99 farming on Sunday, and this is no doubt going to be a help. Should take just under 11 weeks. What fruit tree would you reccomend? I'm stuck between orange and curry. Curry is more xp, but bananas are hard to get, especially because of the double xp weekend and the high demand for summoning. Or, do you think pineapples would be better?

During my road to 99, I always used either palms or papaya, and rarely I used pineapples when I was in a pinch.

I'm not familiar with the market. Is it just because of the double xp weekend's effect, or have been been steadily increasing for a while now?

Wow. You can get cash?

On the topic of torstols and farming, I happened to buy some 350 torstol seeds back in November when they were ~25k, thinking I'd continue farming in the near future. I then promptly began a 4 month break, come back, and see that my seeds are now over 100k each. Simply: I bought the seeds for 9m, am now going to sell the herbs for 50m. Yay.

We'll have to keep an eye on the prices, indeed torstols are very good right now.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Haven't torstols been going up in price constantly since the update that added overloads to the game? I thought that the xp weekend just hastened the rise in their prices.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

On the topic of herb farming, I made a calc to reflect the typical best herbs since I can't manage to find one that someone gave me in the past. Someone check it over? First spreadsheet:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AuH40dSoQ3ccdHJ6RlRjUXZGbDRIaUN2a1puM0NLbXc&hl=en

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pI_Qb-gA9KF7sOg_AlHMDLg&gid=0 -- troacctid's calculator (I actually find the raw data page the most useful)

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

Out of curiosity, why clean herbs? I've never cleaned mine, is that something I should be doing?

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Clean herbs, generally speaking, is herblore xp for a profit. The trouble is, it is click-heavy and it is extremely difficult to get your hands on the grimy herbs in such a big bulk.

So, while you're running from patch to patch, you waste no time cleaning your herbs and you increase your profit/get free or profitable herblore xp.

And that calc posted above seems to have an error on one of the herb values.