My Greatest Achievement

Jard_Y_Dooku

Today was one of my happiest days in a long while. I'm always working on projects of all sorts... one of these is my Ultimate Monster Examine Guide.

logo.png

Since the Monster Examine spell was released on Tuesday, May 15th, 2007 (my guide was posted 10 days later), I set out to obtain a screenshot of the monster examine of every single monster in the game that it was possible to cast on. My guide is unique - the only one of its kind, and the most complete you will ever see. It includes every quest monster, every random event and familiar... it contains the obscurest of the obscurest monsters that hardly anyone recognized the EXISTENCE of. Have any of you heard of Crondis? Fire Warrior of Lesarkus? Did you know there are two of each level 20 blood and bruise blamish snails, which have different HP and/or max hits? Probably not... and most of you will never need this information. Other monsters, like bosses and familiars, you may find more useful. I did make this guide to be useful to everyone... to finally kill the questions surrounding the stats of monsters, with so much inconsistency across fansites' monster databases. I also made this guide simply because I have an obsession with knowing the HP of everything, and many people regard me as RuneScape's monster expert... or my self-appointed title, "Monster Examine King". Maybe sometime I can win a custom rank for that. :) But perhaps the most important reason is because this was such a difficult goal that took such a long amount of time, and I wanted to do something unlike anything else that had ever been done.

Additionally, every single one of the 1,285 monster examines in my guide have been personally verified to be accurate without question, by my own eyes.

There are so many monsters in RuneScape, it is very difficult to keep track of them all. Not a single bestiary on the Internet has more monster records of monsters that can be scanned, than my guide. Some are only accessible during quests, and I had to make an entirely new account, train it for Dream Mentor without completing any of the quests I needed scans from, and obtain them. Yes, I have a monster examine of Elvarg. I've been everywhere, I've killed everything, so thoroughly that I am positive there is not a single spider creeping in some corner of RuneScape that I don't know about. I wouldn't be surprised I have cast the Monster Examine spell more times than any other player in RuneScape, having cast it probably 2,000 times. I can't imagine anyone would use it for training,

Today, on August 15th of 2009, at 5:38 PM UTC, 2 years and 3 months since the release of the spell, I obtained the very last, 1,285th monster examine I needed to complete my guide. I consider reaching this goal to be the greatest achievement of my RuneScape career. Of course, the guide will never truly be complete, and I will continue to update it as new monsters are released.

Now that the guide is "completed" in the sense that there are no old monsters missing, I think I will focus on adding some of the requested features as time permits... such as grouping level ranges within hide tags, or separating the Summoning familiars into their own hide tag. I myself had an idea for a SEARCHABLE monster examine database. Since the phpBB software (Tip.It forums) does not allow PHP, you'd have to click a link to view the guide on my web server. Of course, this will be optional, the guide will still be posted in full on the Tip.It forums. For those that want the additional features, my website will be there waiting. Don't expect any of this to come tomorrow, but I will let you know that I am seriously considering it if I have time.

To close, my guide would not be what it is without: Sumondskull6, without whom I would still be around 1000/1285 scans, or 80% complete. He has helped me get more monster examines than I can count, 3 of those being Champions' Challenge monsters. Shortman4229 and Artemis1330 for using their impressive Summoning levels to help me obtain all the familiar scans. Mithril26 for a ton of quest monsters. Soma2035, Madmanpur3, Shortman4229, Artemis1330 and Sumondskull6 for accompanying me to the God Wars Dungeon to get scans of the bosses and their minions. Sarah Wilde for some of the low level random events, before they were taken out of the game. Without her I would've have even more of a difficulty obtaining those rare scans. Mrmoocky, Geed Geed7, Brunokiller, Wereta and Blue Harpy for submitting and confirming some of the Champions Challenge scans. And Mrmoocky for that pesky scan of Viyeldi, a ghost from the Legends quest. Howlin1 for alerting me to the existence of 3 new Juvinates, which led me to find 5 in total. And last but not least, I cannot forget all the players that came and went without mention, who let me tag along to scan various monsters while they quested... such as the Desert Treasure bosses.

I'd like to thank all of these contributors, many of which are my good friends. May you all enjoy the finally-completed Ultimate Monster Examine Guide.

Now, this topic wasn't all about me, and this doesn't belong in the Goals & Achievements forum because the following question is the fuel for this topic's intended discussion:

What do you consider to be your greatest achievement in your RuneScape career, or what is your greatest goal and how do you hope to achieve it? It can be something based on in-game merit, such as the completion of Champions' Challenge (another of my proudest feats), or something outside of the game but related to it, such as my Ultimate Monster Examine Guide. I look forward to reading what you all have to say.

Also!

I'm not letting you get away without sneaking this in... :) I challenge every one of you to find a scannable monster in RuneScape that is not present in my guide. Here are the rules:

1.) New monsters don't count. When Jagex updates the game in a few days and releases some new monsters, you can't use that as your submission. I'm aware they aren't in the guide because I'm sleeping and haven't woken up to go get them yet... or I'm in class. ;)

2.) The monster must be scannable. Obviously bankers aren't in my guide because it is irrelevant to scan them - they aren't a combat monster.

3.) I sort of lied. The monster doesn't HAVE to be scannable. It can be an unscannable monster (see section 3 of my guide), but it must fit the following condition: does NOT appear in cutscenes AND (has a combat level OR (has hitpoints AND an attack-option))

To the future of knowledge! Good luck...

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent thread and achievement. 1,285 monsters.. Damn.

Thank you. Do you have a RuneScape-related achievement or goal you'd like to tell us about?

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

Impressive job jard, I saw your siggy every now and then and was wondering if you was ever going to finish it. Great job.

My biggest achivement has to be 99 woodcutting. Was not the hardest thing I've done on runesscape, but the fact I got a 99 that I wanted when I fritst started the game made me very happy :D

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Congrats on your thread! That's certainly a great and impressive achievement.

Personally I'm pursuing 99 slayer right now, and that will be my greatest achievement for a while.

Currently....I don't know :D

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009

Congratulations! I was actually wondering the other day if this guide was ever completed.

I think my greatest achievement, so far, was getting a partyhat alongside 91 runecrafting.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Eh I don't really have a greatest achievement because they're all an achievement none the less, even after 99 I want more, never completely satisfied with what I have most 99s are just routine for me, like agility I got a few days ago I was at the level with a friend I just wanted to get the level buy the cape and go for a sammich the 99 I wasn't really bothered about lol, all skills are the same thing just with different animations and xp rates afterall.

So i'll just put my greatest achievement is probably logging out when i'm really enjoying something or waiting for an update.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Congratulations on the completion of your guide, Jard. 'Fantasic work. =D>

As for myself, I'm afraid that I haven't accomplished anything that could possibly measure up. :lol:

I've always prided myself in completing all of the quests/achievement diaries in addition to keeping my ingame jukebox up-to-date, but these are hardly worth mentioning. I suppose my greatest achievement will be the day I complete the Champions' Challenge, though; I've been at it casually since April of last year and only have the Skeleton Scroll to go. :lol:

Other than these, I can't really think of anything else, so I'll just applaud you again on your own accomplishment. :P

'Congrats. =D>

Interested in helping the Tip.It Crew?

Check out our Website Updates & Corrections Board!

Fey_Wanderer.png

Being able to get 2 99's before I semi-retired from Runescape is mine :thumbup:

Oh, and congratz Jard :P

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Fire cape on muggi at 90 combat... that might or might not have been the lowest combat back at the time... it was only a couple of months after caves came out. I just remember all of my friends were really impressed and I was one of the few people walking around w/ the cape

About half a year later, a guy named Fancy Fancy got it at 66 combat. I met him in game and he taught me how to lure... we became pretty good friends after that. Got fire cape on karma at 57 combat about a week after meeting him, setting the world record :D I had a lot of people pm'ing me, offering me up to 10M to do fire capes for them... declined all of them since they were sketchy. Met someone named u a e x pker... taught him how to do caves. he holds the current record at like 42 combat I think.

skill-wise, it'd probably be getting 99 mage, range, def, and hp on muggi... and then 99 range, mage, and hp on karma. I've got a quest cape on both accounts too, though I've always loved doing quests so for some reason I've never really thought much of the cape since time's always flown by while questing.

I think my original caves guide was my magnum opus, though - it seemed to help so many people and be so obscure at the time haha

edit: oh, and scanning all of the fight caves monsters before Jard could on the day the monster examine spell came out :P

77yLQy8.png

Fire cape on muggi at 90 combat... that might or might not have been the lowest combat back at the time... it was only a couple of months after caves came out. I just remember all of my friends were really impressed and I was one of the few people walking around w/ the cape

About half a year later, a guy named Fancy Fancy got it at 66 combat. I met him in game and he taught me how to lure... we became pretty good friends after that. Got fire cape on karma at 57 combat about a week after meeting him, setting the world record :D I had a lot of people pm'ing me, offering me up to 10M to do fire capes for them... declined all of them since they were sketchy. Met someone named u a e x pker... taught him how to do caves. he holds the current record at like 42 combat I think.

skill-wise, it'd probably be getting 99 mage, range, def, and hp on muggi... and then 99 range, mage, and hp on karma. I've got a quest cape on both accounts too, though I've always loved doing quests so for some reason I've never really thought much of the cape since time's always flown by while questing.

I think my original caves guide was my magnum opus, though - it seemed to help so many people and be so obscure at the time haha

edit: oh, and scanning all of the fight caves monsters before Jard could on the day the monster examine spell came out :P

I used your fight caves guide in 2005 or was it 06, the veracs method with karils top, 3 attempts in one day dieng time and time again, failing to click prayer and right click jad and attack so many times, hopping to buy bolt racks.

Jad is so much more convenient now, I think the first cape I got took me 13 trys, haven't failed since though awesome guide though for the inexperienced ;)

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Grats jard, awesome guide glad to hear you completed it ;)

My greatest achievement is getting 99 fletching because I actually enjoy the skill (it is one of my favourites ::') and not because I wanted a stupid skillcape. I didn't buy the cape until a day after getting it to 99 lol.

My biggest goal(s) so far are 99 farming (my absolute ABSOLUTE favourite skill), 99 Woodcutting (also enjoy this skill, love training it :)) and 25M fletching experience (slowly getting it as a woodcut).

None of them are as impressive as that though. The guide must of taken you ages :ohnoes:

disturbeda.png

Finally getting my Blue Halloween Mask. :thumbsup: I saw someone wearing one my first week playing and had wanted one ever since. A close second will be when I get Mining, the first skill I ever started training, to 99. (coming soon, check my blog. *cough* shameless plug *cough*)

A very big congrats Jard. I can't believe you've got scans of all 1285 monsters! Whatever will you do with yourself now? :lol:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

'Grats on the completion of your guide!

My biggest achievement so far is proberly completing my goal of 100 combat or getting all my skills 50+... I've always wanted a triple digit combat and i finally got it yesterday so i'm pretty proud about that. :D 8-)

dzuz3d.jpg

'Grats on the completion of your guide!

My biggest achievement so far is proberly completing my goal of 100 combat or getting all my skills 50+... I've always wanted a triple digit combat and i finally got it yesterday so i'm pretty proud about that. :D 8-)

Those are my current goals now =p.

Any fool can write a rule, but any fool will mind it

--Thoreau

daskos99.png

Flickr