The choice to choose a race in Runescape

Dire_Wolf

Vampire, possibly werewolf.

Surely the makeover mage could do something like that?

Although I'm not sure if certain races should have an advantage over other races for certain things, I think that would be kinda unbalanced, as it would no longer be based on preference, players would come up with one definitive "Best" race, and you would just see a runescape full of that race.

2Xeo5.png

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I'm not sure if certain races should have an advantage over other races for certain things, I think that would be kinda unbalanced, as it would no longer be based on preference, players would come up with one definitive "Best" race, and you would just see a runescape full of that race.

Being a other race should not affect defences from my view. It should only grant a ability or advantage in someway.

The thing is that if classes were part of the game, they should have been added right from the start rather than now in the big swing of things. I mean, would the classes share the same runescape world or would each class have it's own world with its own cities, quests, skills, materials, armor, etc? There would have to be mega amounts of new content before this update is even worthwhile and rather than Jagex focusing one powerful update to all players in the game, they'd have to make far smaller updates for each race to keep them all balanced. Most quests would have to be rewritten to allow every race to play, and some quests would have to be blocked out entirely to certain races because of whose side the player is on. I mean, would an elf player have access to Tirranwn from the start or would he have to go through every elf quest (from a completely different non-human perspective) to get to his own homeland? There's a lot that needs to be thought about before this mega change to runescape can be put into perspective.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Being a other race should not affect defences from my view. It should only grant a ability or advantage in someway.

But players would still decide upon a best race, the one with the most useful advantage.

If there is no advantage, there is suddenly a multitude of races, with no single race being the one that is most used.

2Xeo5.png

The thing is that if classes were part of the game, they should have been added right from the start rather than now in the big swing of things. I mean, would the classes share the same runescape world or would each class have it's own world with its own cities, quests, skills, materials, armor, etc? There would have to be mega amounts of new content before this update is even worthwhile and rather than Jagex focusing one powerful update to all players in the game, they'd have to make far smaller updates for each race to keep them all balanced. Most quests would have to be rewritten to allow every race to play, and some quests would have to be blocked out entirely to certain races because of whose side the player is on. I mean, would an elf player have access to Tirranwn from the start or would he have to go through every elf quest (from a completely different non-human perspective) to get to his own homeland? There's a lot that needs to be thought about before this mega change to runescape can be put into perspective.

First of all:

Class - A type of role ( A healer, a warrior, a archer, a miner, a fisher etc)

Race - Human, goblins, Elfs, Vampires, Werewolfs etc

So they are obviously different things.

No you just change races and that's all to it. Quests that require human character or might require a other race can be done by easily going back to NPC that changes your race and you change back to whatever race you need for the quest. When it comes to items, they need to re-work it for all races that will take alot time but for humnoid races it could take less time so that's possible.

No a elf will just respawn where ever he or she choose to respawn at. And you gotta go through the quests even if your a Elf. It will take alot work, but noone said it would be easy.

But players would still decide upon a best race, the one with the most useful advantage.

If there is no advantage, there is suddenly a multitude of races, with no single race being the one that is most used.

There will be advantage over advantage. Many players care about looks so many might go for Icyene or Elfs, while others will go for usefulness. We got Lunar, Ancient and normal spellbook. Do we use only 1? No we use all. Same thing would be with the races.

They all will have good and useful advantages, Dwarfs giving ability to smith more items. They might be ugly and short but they are they rock at mining and smithing!

Elfs - giving some sort of magic

Avianses - Giving Armadyl protection

Orcs - Giving Bandos protection

It will be expensive to do races also. Because it will cost you a big amount, and that should be about 100,000 GP everytime you change a race.

So it adds up fast. I don't know about you, but i would use all races either if it would be 1) For the ability 2) For the appearance.

I've always liked the idea of races, but I thought Jagex said they wouldn't add races to Runescape... I'm probably wrong, but oh well...

From that list, I like vampires, elves, and fairies. I'm not sure which one I'd choose.. for elves, the ability doesn't appeal that much, but I've always liked them :thumbup:

I think a good way to implement them is how you suggested it: through quests. For instance, a quest which will allow the makeover mage (or a different NPC that specializes in races) to learn how to change a player into races. At first, you would only unlock a couple of races. After more quests of certain kinds that deal with that specific race, you would unlock the ability to change into the particular race.

To change into the race would require a large sum of money or possibly a list of items? (almost like a potion you have to brew)

I think it could add another element of strategy to the game. To do certain tasks, you would be better off in a different race. Races would be fun, I think.

1icyna.png

I've always liked the idea of races, but I thought Jagex said they wouldn't add races to Runescape... I'm probably wrong, but oh well...

From that list, I like vampires, elves, and fairies. I'm not sure which one I'd choose.. for elves, the ability doesn't appeal that much, but I've always liked them :thumbup:

I think a good way to implement them is how you suggested it: through quests. For instance, a quest which will allow the makeover mage (or a different NPC that specializes in races) to learn how to change a player into races. At first, you would only unlock a couple of races. After more quests of certain kinds that deal with that specific race, you would unlock the ability to change into the particular race.

To change into the race would require a large sum of money or possibly a list of items? (almost like a potion you have to brew)

I think it could add another element of strategy to the game. To do certain tasks, you would be better off in a different race. Races would be fun, I think.

Yeah it definitely would be fun. And like you said they should present race for race through Quests. That way they can work at with 1 race at time and that should work out well \'

[hide=Aviansie with armour]AviansieHD.png[/hide]

They should try to consider this. Could work well to be honest, they just need to deal with some of the problems that it can cause.

I'd say vampire 2 life stealing per hit and permanent 1 health degeneration instead of 1 regeneration

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

while i like it...in theory, its just not practical. way too much would have to change for it to work, though.

though i would like to be able to run around as an icyene or an avianse.

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

nah. no good.

Care to elaborate?

It would be cool,but I don't find any of the races in RS all that interesting.

Then you will be human forever...........and ever! :lol:

while i like it...in theory, its just not practical. way too much would have to change for it to work, though.

though i would like to be able to run around as an icyene or an avianse.

Me too! I definitely would love to be a Orc. It would be FTW! Wanna know why?

Bandos GWD>Loads of players (Tons)

40 KC = Full prayer recharge

Orc race = Bandos protection

Result = FTW. \'

I wish Jagex considered it. <3:

If they added races to RuneScape I'd only like it if they didn't have ability - it would be just for looks.

:)

I agree :thumbup:

I'd say vampire 2 life stealing per hit and permanent 1 health degeneration instead of 1 regeneration

u forgot mine o.O

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

u forgot mine o.O

You know first i decided a vampire ability could bite a monster all the time but at same time have a "need for blood" because vampires need blood or they will be weakened.

But then i thought:

1) If you can bite a monster and get heal, then that would be overpowered

2) If you get weakened because you don't get no blood your hitpoints will start falling, but then i thought that could be bad too (What if you go for 2 minutes off computer)

So i decided, vampires can regenerate so why not get only +2 hitpoints regeneration more? That would be more nicer if you ask me.

Though it would be nice to be able to customize our characters a bit more, I don't think your idea would work very well. It would over complicate the game. In my opinion, it would be maddening to have to change back and forth between races just to be able to complete certain quests and tasks.

...I don't think that being a different class should offer new abilities.

I agree with this. If Jagex were to implement your idea into Runescape, people would simply choose to transform into the race that has extra abilities that would help with whatever task they were trying to accomplish. For example, if someone were training to 99 mining or smithing they would become a dwarf because they could achieve their goal faster then if they were a vampire or elf, etc.

Also, adding this new aspect might make people even more obsessed with training efficiently, because most people don't like to waste money. An example:

Person1: Bobby, come keep me company while I mine.

Person2: No can do, that would be a waste of my time. I'm in elf form right now because I'm training magic.

Person2: Will you still be training mining next week? I plan on transforming into a dwarf then to train my mining.

Arguing with a fool proves there are two.

u forgot mine o.O

You know first i decided a vampire ability could bite a monster all the time but at same time have a "need for blood" because vampires need blood or they will be weakened.

But then i thought:

1) If you can bite a monster and get heal, then that would be overpowered

2) If you get weakened because you don't get no blood your hitpoints will start falling, but then i thought that could be bad too (What if you go for 2 minutes off computer)

So i decided, vampires can regenerate so why not get only +2 hitpoints regeneration more? That would be more nicer if you ask me.

Meh, i think a life stealing would be better. You would hit higher and you will need to eat less food WHILST IN BATTLE, its easy, with every hit you get a little 2 on top of it and that gets added to your HP, but you have permanent Health Degen

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

It would be cool, but I really don't like the idea of being able to change into whatever, whenever.

The ability to change your race once would be cool, but only if each race had very outlined features that were equally balanced. Like somebody said above me, we don't want people just choosing once race and leaving the other ones, or only using one race for one specific task.

If there were different quest lines and outcomes determined by race, I think it could have a place in Runescape. But the whole idea of "well im done with magic so it's time to turn from an Elf to a Dwarf and go mine" really doesn't appeal to me.

Just one transformation, with the opportunity to turn back to human once a month or something wouldn't be too bad, but multi race changing is a bit too much for me.

Edit: If I did get to choose a race it would be an Icyene. They seem like an awesome race ::'

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009

Though it would be nice to be able to customize our characters a bit more, I don't think your idea would work very well. It would over complicate the game. In my opinion, it would be maddening to have to change back and forth between races just to be able to complete certain quests and tasks.

...I don't think that being a different class should offer new abilities.

I agree with this. If Jagex were to implement your idea into Runescape, people would simply choose to transform into the race that has extra abilities that would help with whatever task they were trying to accomplish. For example, if someone were training to 99 mining or smithing they would become a dwarf because they could achieve their goal faster then if they were a vampire or elf, etc.

Also, adding this new aspect might make people even more obsessed with training efficiently, because most people don't like to waste money. An example:

Person1: Bobby, come keep me company while I mine.

Person2: No can do, that would be a waste of my time. I'm in elf form right now because I'm training magic.

Person2: Will you still be training mining next week? I plan on transforming into a dwarf then to train my mining.

First of all if you don't like the races or can't be bothered with it you can choose not to. But let me tell you some things:

1) Monkey madness quest requirred "Monkey form">So that's 1 race

2) A quest about goblins (Don't remember it) needed Goblin form>So that's 2.

So far everyone have bothered to transform into those races to do the quests. But i never suggested that majority quests should have a "race requirement". I just think it could be good to present SOME quests that needs you to be a certain race.

It's not maddening to change back and fourth. How do i know? Lunar, ancient and normal spellbook. That's same thing that would be with races. Only it will cost you 100K.

The races will give you maybe a small ability. As i said:

Aviansie should give you a "Armadyl protection", so that you can kill Aviansie monsters without need of Armadyl item.

Orc race giving you Bandos protection. The abilities should not be a big advantage, the Dwarf having access to more items to smith is just a mere idea from me.

For all you know the items could be only two more items that is not much different from regular smithing tabel. It's up to Jagex to make the ability as small and good that it won't make a big impact but will be used.

It would be cool, but I really don't like the idea of being able to change into whatever, whenever.

The ability to change your race once would be cool, but only if each race had very outlined features that were equally balanced. Like somebody said above me, we don't want people just choosing once race and leaving the other ones, or only using one race for one specific task.

If there were different quest lines and outcomes determined by race, I think it could have a place in Runescape. But the whole idea of "well im done with magic so it's time to turn from an Elf to a Dwarf and go mine" really doesn't appeal to me.

Just one transformation, with the opportunity to turn back to human once a month or something wouldn't be too bad, but multi race changing is a bit too much for me.

Edit: If I did get to choose a race it would be an Icyene. They seem like an awesome race ::'

Well i was thinking, the races are mostly for looks right?

So i was thinking a quest would let you decide what race you choose. So what i thought was that FIRST time you choose a race, that will decide what ability you get.

Example. I do a quest:

I gotta choose race. I choose vampire. I get "Regeneration" ability (+2 hitpoints more per 1 minute), then later when i change to Elf i do not get the access to Crystal mine in elfen city because i already have gotten a ability.

So i was thinking a quest would let you decide what race you choose. So what i thought was that FIRST time you choose a race, that will decide what ability you get.

Example. I do a quest:

I gotta choose race. I choose vampire. I get "Regeneration" ability (+2 hitpoints more per 1 minute), then later when i change to Elf i do not get the access to Crystal mine in elfen city because i already have gotten a ability.

Yeah, I like that idea. If it's only a cosmetic change it doesn't really matter, but I really like the abilities idea :thumbsup:

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009

Example. I do a quest:

Yeah, I like that idea. If it's only a cosmetic change it doesn't really matter, but I really like the abilities idea :thumbsup:

Man i am getting water in my mouth thinking of becoming a Orc for the Bandos protection. That would really be awesome :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes:

Icyene's are said to have tempered the godsword and been an enemy to the vampire race. Maybe their ability could be to attack slightly faster with a godsword or deal more damage to vampire players?

Yeah Zilyana is a very speedy. I read that where Lord Drakan (Vampire lord, very powerful) lives (Meredich) was once the city of a king and queen possibly being Icyene. And that the Vyrewatch is Icyenes that were experimented on by the vampires.

If the King and Queen is alive is unknown. Anyhow dealing more damage to vampires seems unlikely, because i don't they had a advantage of vampires or else they would have defended better against them. But i will add as Icyene ability:

Have a chance of a fast attack every minute. Example Godsword is very slow, as a Icyene you will have a chance of hitting as fast as a dart with a Godsword every minute.

EDIT:

Zilyana is very agil, and with magic or melee she is very fast. So that's another reason why i thought of the "speed" ability.