The choice to choose a race in Runescape

Dire_Wolf

'Nuff said.

Really, then why is all the monsters mostly demons, goblins or beasts?

Just because there is human player characters everywhere does not mean that's only option. Also, a race character can have restrictions:

1) You have to turn back into Human for a quest?

2) You can't do skills, Firemaking, cooking, agility, fishing, woodcutting etc (Depending if Jagex bother to do animation for the skills or not)

Even so, if you like Human character then choose that! Infact Human race gets according to my idea +1 more prayer point every minute. That's really good!

But it's so selfish to say "Nuff said." because that's indirectly saying "I want all characters to be human race, because that's how I want it"...

Every considered some other players wants to maybe have variety?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to choose a race, go play WoW.

Jagex isn't going to overhaul the entire gameplay system just because you want to look like a fairy.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

If you want to choose a race, go play WoW.

Jagex isn't going to overhaul the entire gameplay system just because you want to look like a fairy.

I like Runescape, so i want it to become better. First of all, why should i go play WoW?

Why can't you just think "This is a good option for those who likes race variety in their characters" and just stay as a human race character yourself? What is it that's so important that you don't want others to play as other races (Feel free to tell)?

It's funny when mentioning overhaul that you say "because you want to look like a fairy", i can respond back to that...

A fairy is a beautiful and magical race. You like magic? I am sure you do, you use the spellbook in Runescape everyday.

You like beautiful things? You don't?

Like i said, a Fairy owning Bandos boss would be awesome. That's how i look at it.

Also there's a way to makes races without overhaul of the game. But it should be a temporary option from my view. Basically you make a base form for all races, and this base form will have a weapon just for looks.

If you equip items your characters look will stay same, and it will not change at all. Just a weapon and a form of the race. But as you equip items, your stats change. If you use a Abyssal whip, your attacks with the race will be as fast and accurate as a Abyssal whip. If you equip a Godsword, same way...

So it can work doing it THAT way. All you need is a base form and animations for the race. Of course there will be restrictions, but that's a thing we who use the races gotta think about. But the idea of the race is to enjoy killing as a other race.

Later when Jagex have time they can work on the baseform of races and do a overhaul if possible.

Jagex have already said they won't do this just because of graphical reasons (imagine redoing every bit of armour for each race).

If this has already been said sorry.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Jagex have already said they won't do this just because of graphical reasons (imagine redoing every bit of armour for each race).

If this has already been said sorry.

No problem. But way i look at it, Jagex could make base forms and have it that way til they get time to work on armour and other items :thumbup:

RS did have races for a time.. although there wasn't much to them.. just a bit of minor help in the beginning.

I think what Jagex wants is to have characters which wouldn't be limited by the choice of their race, which is why races were scrapped (and you're not bringing anything new to their attention.. they've probably beat this topic to death themselves).. so completely versatile characters, and I personally like it that way too. I don't want to have to choose a race for my character with a focus on a certain combat type, without being able to use another.. but it all depends on the type of system you are suggesting.

[2010] Proud Member of Downfall

[2004-2005] Former Leader of The Unbreakables, Former Member of Corruption, Former Member of 'The' Clan

(...and Anarchy for a few weeks... shhh...)

RS did have races for a time.. although there wasn't much to them.. just a bit of minor help in the beginning.

I think what Jagex wants is to have characters which wouldn't be limited by the choice of their race, which is why races were scrapped (and you're not bringing anything new to their attention.. they've probably beat this topic to death themselves).. so completely versatile characters, and I personally like it that way too. I don't want to have to choose a race for my character with a focus on a certain combat type, without being able to use another.. but it all depends on the type of system you are suggesting.

First of all i read somewhere that the "Races" your mentioning was classes. It was not races. And if you read my topic thoroughly you will find out that this idea allows you to use all races.

It just costs 100,000 GP to change race and all of the races have a small ability. The Human race have one of the best from my view. :thumbup:

But it's so selfish to say "Nuff said." because that's indirectly saying "I want all characters to be human race, because that's how I want it"...

So selfish of you is it to make a thread like this over a feature beyond impractical, requiring massive reworks of the mechanics of Runescape on something that is already totally fine, simply because you want to frollick around with a candy wand and fairy wings.

As has been said before: if you want races, go play WoW. The more 'fixes' and 'features' you make the worse it gets.

By the way - why is this topic still in General Discussion? This is a suggestion.

cliffside1ra5.png

So selfish of you is it to make a thread like this over a feature beyond impractical, requiring massive reworks of the mechanics of Runescape on something that is already totally fine, simply because you want to frollick around with a candy wand and fairy wings.

As has been said before: if you want races, go play WoW. The more 'fixes' and 'features' you make the worse it gets.

By the way - why is this topic still in General Discussion? This is a suggestion.

If you can't have open mind about stuff, games will not have good updates. What is it that makes you find other players playing other character races so "OMG They can't do that!!".

Why the hell is it your business? If we like to play as other race characters then we do it that way, get out of our way. The candy wand and fairy wings? I love fairies, they are beautiful and magical. But i am a male so if i play as a Fairy it will just be merely for the fun of killing bosses with the small size.

I would play Fairy race character once and kill bosses. Then change back to my primary - Human. Then do Vampire and Orks as well depending on what i am gonna do.

It's alot work, but if Jagex pulls it off, it will be great. If you don't like this topic just don't post, and that will contribute, i repeat contribute to this thread going down (That's what you want so go along with that).

I believe the topic was discussing the effects adding races could have on the game, and the possible outcomes.

And I quote:

What do you think about Runescape filled with races?

Also while were on choose a race below.

That's what we were discussing, maybe you ought to get back on topic ;)

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009

Part of runescape is not having races and fixed classes as such. Which makes it unique to the majority of MMOs

Exactly, one the main reasons I play this game over other MMOs is you don't have to deal with permanent races and classes. I suppse if the races were changeable I wouldn't have a problem with it.

If you read the thread, you will see that it can be changed for 100,000 GP per race transform.

If you read my second sentence, you will see that I am OK with that.

satan_panda.png

If you can't have open mind about stuff, games will not have good updates. What is it that makes you find other players playing other character races so "OMG They can't do that!!".

Why the hell is it your business? If we like to play as other race characters then we do it that way, get out of our way. The candy wand and fairy wings? I love fairies, they are beautiful and magical. But i am a male so if i play as a Fairy it will just be merely for the fun of killing bosses with the small size.

I would play Fairy race character once and kill bosses. Then change back to my primary - Human. Then do Vampire and Orks as well depending on what i am gonna do.

It's alot work, but if Jagex pulls it off, it will be great. If you don't like this topic just don't post, and that will contribute, i repeat contribute to this thread going down (That's what you want so go along with that).

Disagreeing with you does not make me close-minded. Your reply does, however, make you close-minded.

Not everyone can agree and praise your ideas. Learn to take no's. Don't tell someone offering their feedback to get off your thread.

Do not put words nor intentions into my mouth. I do not recall saying I wanted the thread to 'go down'.

It is in the wrong board. This is a suggestion. Tell me how it is not.

Also, mechscape is just as much about machine as it is about the wonderful talents of biological organisms. More sci-fi, really. I doubt that changed your opinion, but knowledge is power, eh? <3:

cliffside1ra5.png

Disagreeing with you does not make me close-minded. Your reply does, however, make you close-minded.

Not everyone can agree and praise your ideas. Learn to take no's. Don't tell someone offering their feedback to get off your thread.

Do not put words nor intentions into my mouth. I do not recall saying I wanted the thread to 'go down'.

It is in the wrong board. This is a suggestion. Tell me how it is not.

So calling me selfish, telling me to go to WoW, and mocking about what i said about i liked Fairies is feed back?

Is there something wrong with you?

I have worked on the ideas of what each race can do, in beginning i didn't want to because i did not want to go all suggestive because i don't want it to be a suggestion but just something for Jagex and players to think about, discuss and be aware of.

So i had some ideas of how race ability could be to illustrate how races can be fun. I came up with idea of how you can implent races into Runescape:

- With restrictions (Skills and Quests can't be done), have turn into Human again for them

- With how you can do it without overhauling game

Just leave this thread you piece of [cabbage]. The idea is not for you to choose a different race, you get the option to choose one or stay as a Human race. So [bleep] off.

I did not put anything into your mouth, you do a nice job there yourself.

:twss:

All offence meant here SirHemen, you're being a total [wagon] about this. Just because someone disagrees with your post doesn't mean they have a "closed-mind". And it certainly doesn't mean you start using words that get filtered on here.

In my opinion, if you want the play as a Fairy *chuckle* then go find another MMORPG. Runescape has always had Human characters as it was designed that way. In what way does "changing into a fairy to kill a boss" add ANYTHING to the gameplay or evolution of Runescape.

All you are suggesting is hours of pointless work for the Jagex team so you can look pretty in pink :P

asrhasrh.jpg

:twss:

All offence meant here SirHemen, you're being a total [wagon] about this. Just because someone disagrees with your post doesn't mean they have a "closed-mind". And it certainly doesn't mean you start using words that get filtered on here.

In my opinion, if you want the play as a Fairy *chuckle* then go find another MMORPG. Runescape has always had Human characters as it was designed that way. In what way does "changing into a fairy to kill a boss" add ANYTHING to the gameplay or evolution of Runescape.

All you are suggesting is hours of pointless work for the Jagex team so you can look pretty in pink :P

*Sigh* I'll be nice since you don't seem all that bad. Go through and read every post in this thread, you will see that just because someone disagrees with me does not mean i use censored words on them.

Basically Grasle is saying that i am "Putting things into his own mouth" by saying that he wanted this thread to fail. Which is what he wants.

1) Calls me selfish (If i am prove it)

2) Mocking me about that Fairy race thing (WTF it's just a funny idea of killing Bandos boss as a Fairy, stop making a big deal out of it)

3) Tells me to go to WoW

I don't give a darn about 1, 2, and 3. But i would like it not to be on this topic.

And he calls this "Feedback" and denies the fact he wants this thread fo fail (I don't care about that but he denies it then i care).

Here i thought of a Runescape with races that is already in Runescape as monsters. With races providing appearance that will create race variety and also give a small ability bonus that's small enough to not impact Runescape that much.

It sure would be really interesting, and in my mind i can imagenen playing as a Ork or Fairy honestly. I guess it's because i have good pictures from those two races based on what i have observed from Jagex artwork and in-game Orks.

Races would all have near equal abilities, and Human race idea was to give you +1 prayer ponts every minute. That's one of the best abilities of the races. Many would play that race after all...

Anyhow, i give up on trying to reason with idiots who say "Go to WoW".

So if the moderators decides to close this thread feel free to.

It would be a very bad move for the game. Runescape is meant to be freeform and organic in how your character develops, and any functionality to alternative races will only be a massive limit, not a bonus, which Jagex is keen to avoid.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

It would be a very bad move for the game. Runescape is meant to be freeform and organic in how your character develops, and any functionality to alternative races will only be a massive limit, not a bonus, which Jagex is keen to avoid.

I don't understand, what do you mean?

I'd say vampire 2 life stealing per hit and permanent 1 health degeneration instead of 1 regeneration

u forgot mine o.O

You know first i decided a vampire ability could bite a monster all the time but at same time have a "need for blood" because vampires need blood or they will be weakened.

But then i thought:

1) If you can bite a monster and get heal, then that would be overpowered

2) If you get weakened because you don't get no blood your hitpoints will start falling, but then i thought that could be bad too (What if you go for 2 minutes off computer)

So i decided, vampires can regenerate so why not get only +2 hitpoints regeneration more? That would be more nicer if you ask me.

I'd say remove 'eat-to-heal' for them............and give them 2hp per every hp damaged :twisted:

Opeious.pngopei.png

Barrows Drops:....................................................Dragon Drops:...............Other Drops:

Dharok: 2 Helms, 1 Top, 2 Legs, 4 Axes.......................2 Claws Split..................1 Bandos Tassets

Karil: 1 Coif, 1 Top, 2 Skirt, 2 Crossbows......................3 Plate legs...................4 Berserker Rings

Ahrim: 3 Hood, 2 Top, 3 Skirt, 1 Staff..........................2 Plate Skirts.................2 Warrior Rings

Verac: 1 Helm, 3 Tops, 2 Skirts, 1 Flail..........................1 Med........................1 Archer Ring

Guthan: 2 Helm, 5 Tops, 1 Skirt, 0 Spear.....................1 Shield Half.................1 Seers Ring

Torag: 2 Helms, 2 Tops, 5 Legs, 1 Hammer....................4 Hatchets..................1 Missed Divine Sigil (was at bank -,- fml)

As long as runescape stays the same, I'm happy. I don't want to be crippled because I choose a race. Sure vampires may heal good in combat, but what about skilling? That will make a lot of things biased. If you could just change the character's appearance, e.g. look like a vampire, elf, etc. without actually changing anything gameplay wise, then I'd be pretty happy. Part of WoW is been boxed-in, part of the reason why I don't play anymore. Too limiting.

disturbeda.png

While I like the idea of playing as an Vampire or Werewolf I really cant get round the imparticalities of it.

So I like the idea that current players would get to switch races for a fee, thats cool, no one really thats to start a new account for no reason, but what about new players?

Is a level 3 Werewolf or Elf gonna spawn in lummy and go shear sheep for farmer fred? Seems a bit strange to me. The only fix to this would be multiple start points, and personally I wouldn't like to be a lvl 3 in Canafis.

The other issue for me here would be that a lot of quests would need to be rewritten. Im not sure HAM would have really let me wonder around their base while Im an Orc.

And if what your actually proposing is that the Races are purely there for a slight bonus and aesthetic change that I just dont thinks its worth the time and effort that would go into it. The ability to constantly change races would, for me at least, mean races would lose their identity. Meeting an Elf in regecide, for example, for the first time would not be as novel if one had been screaming "Noob" at you for the last hour in castle wars.

Unfortunately while I like the idea I think the only good way to implement it into a game is to build it directly into the core of the game, not tack it on later.

Also I think Orcs are Rad, so I'd probably be an Orc.

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

As long as runescape stays the same, I'm happy. I don't want to be crippled because I choose a race. Sure vampires may heal good in combat, but what about skilling? That will make a lot of things biased. If you could just change the character's appearance, e.g. look like a vampire, elf, etc. without actually changing anything gameplay wise, then I'd be pretty happy. Part of WoW is been boxed-in, part of the reason why I don't play anymore. Too limiting.

That's the idea but changing races should give a small ability. But for it's mostly about the appearance though.

While I like the idea of playing as an Vampire or Werewolf I really cant get round the imparticalities of it.

So I like the idea that current players would get to switch races for a fee, thats cool, no one really thats to start a new account for no reason, but what about new players?

Is a level 3 Werewolf or Elf gonna spawn in lummy and go shear sheep for farmer fred? Seems a bit strange to me. The only fix to this would be multiple start points, and personally I wouldn't like to be a lvl 3 in Canafis.

The other issue for me here would be that a lot of quests would need to be rewritten. Im not sure HAM would have really let me wonder around their base while Im an Orc.

And if what your actually proposing is that the Races are purely there for a slight bonus and aesthetic change that I just dont thinks its worth the time and effort that would go into it. The ability to constantly change races would, for me at least, mean races would lose their identity. Meeting an Elf in regecide, for example, for the first time would not be as novel if one had been screaming "Noob" at you for the last hour in castle wars.

Unfortunately while I like the idea I think the only good way to implement it into a game is to build it directly into the core of the game, not tack it on later.

Also I think Orcs are Rad, so I'd probably be an Orc.

Quests don't have to be re-written. They can still be Human race only, so whenever you decide to do them you change back to Human.

The races is mostly for appearance, and will be related to Combat. It should not be something for non-combat skills. But fair enough, i understand it's alot of work. Thanks for feedback.

If this was going to happen it wouldn't be RS anymore. It is way to much work, way to many things that needs to be changed for this to happen. Still, I think your idea is good. I would love to be an elf within the game. But it won't happen.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak