The choice to choose a race in Runescape

Dire_Wolf

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I don't agree with this at all. Part of Runescape that makes it different from WoW is that we all are the same race of characters, and actually, if you pay attention to quests, you'll know that ultimately we all are the same person. We are this human being destined to do something great in Guthix's ultimate plan. If you change the race we are, then it's going to change a LOT of quest details, and I don't think that's a smart move on anyone's part.

So no. You get a large thumbs down from me on this thought. :thumbdown: :|

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

While the update would be nice, trying to balance an update such as this would pretty much make it pretty much impossible.

First you must take a look at the basic technical changes it would bring to the game, mainly the fact that instead of using 2 basic character types for rendering, you would end up with atleast double that, which would cause the game itself to require more system resources to rune, especially in crowded area. This would of course be from the fact that pretty much any alternative race used would require different designs for the equipment and different animations. The best way to deal with this would have any additonal race limited in terms of equipment to keep content development and game operation reletively similar. That would pretty much limit the choice of an alternative race to be one of just being different or showing off(if it had requirements).

An update like that would be reletively poor quality as there would be no real contribution to the game, unless benefits were to be given in addition to different looks. Such benefits would most easily fit into one of 4 categories : Skill bonuses, Combat bonuses, Unique content, and Special effects. Obviously any combat, special effects, or skill bonuses would be either, barely worth having or being gamebreaking which pretty much rules them out. Unique content would theoretically work, but the problem is that it does not fit with the gameplay style of Runescape.

The concept of switching between races leads to a point where it is practically impossible for a majority of players to agree on how to do it. some would want to be able to switch whenever they desire with little penalty, others would insist at having extreme penalties for switching as the use of the rewards would otherwise be unbalanced, and to the far extreme there would almost certainly be some people who insist upon it being a 1 time thing which you cannot change. So picking any one method would lead to endless debates over the fairness of the chosen method.

And making a coherent storyline for characters of different races(and possibly switching) would be next to impossible in my opinion, unless further additons to to the storylines(quests) were unique content for various races which again causes problems with how to switch and going against the gameplay style of Runescape. All of these problems lead me to the conclusion that such an update would be very unlikely to occur within Runescape, though could very well work in a different style of gameplay or with a less developed game.

Ps. I just happened to have a half finished essay about this on my computer from a few months back.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

I like the idea, but no special abilities for each race. That would ruin it.

If you look at the hide list of races and see their special abilities, you will see it's nothing special.

Icyene: A chance to do a dart fast attack every 1 minute

Vampire: +1 Hitpoints more regenerated every minute

Aviansie: Armadyl protection at GWD

Orc: Bandos protection at GWD

Dwarf: Two new items to smith

Human: Let's you generate +1 prayer point every minute

Werewolf: Gives +2 more damage to your max hit.

Elf: Access to Prifddinas Crystal mine. Two crystal rocks and you rock respawn every hour.

So as you can see, the idea i have worked on is not so big advantage.

No. I don't agree with this at all. Part of Runescape that makes it different from WoW is that we all are the same race of characters, and actually, if you pay attention to quests, you'll know that ultimately we all are the same person. We are this human being destined to do something great in Guthix's ultimate plan. If you change the race we are, then it's going to change a LOT of quest details, and I don't think that's a smart move on anyone's part.

So no. You get a large thumbs down from me on this thought. :thumbdown: :|

That's okey, your entitled to your opinion. But first of all, our character does not have to be a Avianse to do quests. Quests can still demand a human form to do them, so we'd have to change back to Humankind which will cost us more GP (Remember i suggested 100K per race change).

But Runescape is not Wow. Wow does not own "Race characters", no game does. But ask yourself, if the game should be about human characters then why is there so many races in Runescape?

While the update would be nice, trying to balance an update such as this would pretty much make it pretty much impossible. First...

Please use paragraphs. I know this would be a new thing for Runescape and a bit hard to adapt. The ability from each race is not very big advantage so it should work out for game.

I wouldn't like this. The reason I don't play any MMORPG's where I choose a class is because I don't like feeling that I chose the wrong class, and aren't as powerful as something else.

Like i said the race transformations will be mostly for appearance and the ability comes as a small bonus. There is a difference between class and races.

If you choose wrong race you can change back, but you will only receive the ability of the race that you choose in first place.

Example if you choose Elf, you will get granted access to Elfen city mine. There you can mine the two Crystal rocks, which respawns every hour. So if you later change back to Human race, you still will keep that ability.

If they can graphically overhaul the entire game, they could easily accommodate races.

The question is if it's a realistic expectation, and whether or not it would upset the balance of the game.

The biggest issue i see is the work on new items for each race. The result will we worth the work if you ask me. For those who say Runescape is not WoW and Runescape stands out because it's only 1 form.

Tell me, if Runescape is supposed to be about human race why not just take all the bosses in-game:

General Graardor, Commander Zilyana, Corporeal Beasts, KBD, KQ etc...and replace them with human "monsters" and see how much fun that would be.

Like i suggested Michaael, the ability of the races will only be a SMALL bonus and i updated the hide tags and modified the abilities so that it will have smaller effect on the game. It also will cost you 100,000 GP every time you change a race.

So i think if Jagex can manage to make this work, i suggest that they go for it.

If they can graphically overhaul the entire game, they could easily accommodate races.

The question is if it's a realistic expectation, and whether or not it would upset the balance of the game.

The biggest issue i see is the work on new items for each race. The result will we worth the work if you ask me. For those who say Runescape is not WoW and Runescape stands out because it's only 1 form.

Tell me, if Runescape is supposed to be about human race why not just take all the bosses in-game:

General Graardor, Commander Zilyana, Corporeal Beasts, KBD, KQ etc...and replace them with human "monsters" and see how much fun that would be.

Like i suggested Michaael, the ability of the races will only be a SMALL bonus and i updated the hide tags and modified the abilities so that it will have smaller effect on the game. It also will cost you 100,000 GP every time you change a race.

So i think if Jagex can manage to make this work, i suggest that they go for it.

I think it's an awesome idea. They would just have a lot of work on their plate with emotes and armors. It's definitely doable though

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009

I think it's an awesome idea. They would just have a lot of work on their plate with emotes and armors. It's definitely doable though

I know if Jagex did this, it would be such a amazing update. It would be incredible. Emotes>No need, you can do that in Human race.

I doubt anyone would go like "Oh my god i can't do emotes :( ". It will be a challenge how Jagex put skillcape and boots and gloves on a monster, but i definetly think it's managable.

If they can put a Armadyl plate on a Aviansie and armour on a Orc, they definetly can find a way to do same with other items.

Oh my god i think i figured out how they can make it work.

Here it is. You transform into a race, i choose a Orc. I decide to gear up for Bandos right?

I wear my Bandos solo equipment.

Helm of neizinot, Karil's top, Torag's leg, Fire cape, Rune defender, Abyssal whip, Ring of wealth, Fury, Barrow gloves, Dragon boots

And my inventory.

Then i click the "Show equipment". As it shows, on my equipment it shows what i am equipping. But...the race my character will be this:

Ork.PNG

But the attack, defence, prayer and strength bonus i will have is based on the equipment i am using. Example i will be attacking with a Orc weapon, but i will have the properties of a Abyssal whip just not when it comes to appearance.

That could really make it work, what do you think?

Example i will be attacking with a Orc weapon, but i will have the properties of a Abyssal whip just not when it comes to appearance.

That could really make it work, what do you think?

This is in a few games, and it's actually a horrible idea. My 7x throwing knife character wears armor that looks like a level 3x one on a female dual blade one. If the appearance isn't similar, I don't think people would like that graphic update.

Back onto the different races idea, I think Icyenes would have an advantage in many situations ... unless you couldn't control when you would do a quick attack.

aporia.png

95/99 Summoning

95/99 Slayer

[hide=This is what you look like when you play RS too long]2vvq0z4.jpg[/hide]

This is in a few games, and it's actually a horrible idea. My 7x throwing knife character wears armor that looks like a level 3x one on a female dual blade one. If the appearance isn't similar, I don't think people would like that graphic update.

Back onto the different races idea, I think Icyenes would have an advantage in many situations ... unless you couldn't control when you would do a quick attack.

Here is how it would look like. It could be a temporary stage so that Jagex can work on items for races, since that requires alot work.

450134504baf41ed5008b4e8dfbdaec0c124287.png

So:

Stage 1: Get races into game (Attack animations for races and their abilities and appearences)

Stage 2: Add armour/weapons and other items to races 1 by 1

Stag 3: Fix bugs

Ladycai, a chance of dart speed attack won't be a big advantage at all. It's about pure luck. The speed can't be controlled and you can't be sure if you will get that ability or not. It will help for bosses and other monsters, but it won't make such huge impact.

What do you mean when you say fairies could teleport without standing on the ring? Does that mean that they could be nowhere near a ring and still teleport?

To be honest I dont think races should have abilities. I am sure one race would have the best ability and everyone would choose that one. The abilities could at least be toned down to things like small stat boosts. Very good idea otherwise.

I would be a vampire or an avianse by the way.

BOO

Firstly a crystal mine would be stupid since crystal stuff doesn't come from rocks.. Sorry! :P

I kinda have to disagree with most of your idea here. Runescape is so simple that everyone has the same base character with no special abilities or advantages over any character, in theory. Of course armour and weaponry changes that but it's all player based. There is no hard-written code that says "you're x race so you get this bonus whilst z race misses out". I dislike MMORPG's that force you to chose a type-cast avatar and lock you out of so many features. Even if the difference is only +1HP regeneration that's still something you deny to a person who doesn't chose that race.

Creating weapons and armour is a challenge for Jagex in itself to get things to stop clipping, animate properly and look half-decent on a human character, and you want them to spend they're time creating races that do the same job just in different graphics?

In short, if you want to change your race go drink a Goblin Potion. Or see Michael Jacksons dermatologist.

asrhasrh.jpg

What do you mean when you say fairies could teleport without standing on the ring? Does that mean that they could be nowhere near a ring and still teleport?

To be honest I dont think races should have abilities. I am sure one race would have the best ability and everyone would choose that one. The abilities could at least be toned down to things like small stat boosts. Very good idea otherwise.

I would be a vampire or an avianse by the way.

It means a Fairy can travel through Fairy magic to places within Fairy codes without a staff or ring. Or is that to overpowered? Should i make it so that Fairies can do it without staff instead?

Personally i would use:

Human, Orc, Vampire and Icyene and Aviansie. They all have great abilities. It however will cost me alot money (100,000 GP per transformation), so i gotta be a race for a period and think hard before i change again.

Firstly a crystal mine would be stupid since crystal stuff doesn't come from rocks.. Sorry! :P

I kinda have to disagree with most of your idea here. Runescape is so simple that everyone has the same base character with no special abilities or advantages over any character, in theory. Of course armour and weaponry changes that but it's all player based. There is no hard-written code that says "you're x race so you get this bonus whilst z race misses out". I dislike MMORPG's that force you to chose a type-cast avatar and lock you out of so many features. Even if the difference is only +1HP regeneration that's still something you deny to a person who doesn't chose that race.

Creating weapons and armour is a challenge for Jagex in itself to get things to stop clipping, animate properly and look half-decent on a human character, and you want them to spend they're time creating races that do the same job just in different graphics?

In short, if you want to change your race go drink a Goblin Potion. Or see Michael Jacksons dermatologist.

There is many races that are exciting to play as. Making races will create more variety in player characters. Runescape is about bow and arrow, sword and shield, staff and magic.

It's about adventure and fantasy. Transforming into a race and roleplay as a monster is quite fun. The abilities i have given the races is just what they will get.

The Elf's ability is something i was not sure of, so you can call it stupid if you want but if you have a better option then let me know.

First of all: Human race is what everyone will be right?

Human race lets you generate +1 prayer point every minute! You don't have to choose between races because all of the races have great advantages. They are all good, and to choose it costs 100,000 GP!

So it will be expensive, and the abilities is not so powerful that it will make a big difference. The only problem is the weapon and armoury. If races is implented into game and races gets their own items drawed (items that we have already but drawed for each race) then it definitely will make the game much better.

100 kays? How about making it a quest reward? :lol:

As i have said the races can be introduced into the game through quests. It does not have to be perfect from the start. They can have the races without armoury and weapon appearence.

Eventually they can update it and add armour and weapon to the races to make it look better. Runescape didn't go from low detail to high detail in a month. It took time, and races is same thing.

100 kays? How about making it a quest reward? :lol:

As i have said the races can be introduced into the game through quests. It does not have to be perfect from the start. They can have the races without armoury and weapon appearence.

Eventually they can update it and add armour and weapon to the races to make it look better. Runescape didn't go from low detail to high detail in a month. It took time, and races is same thing.

Sounds like a very good idea. It would be next to impossible to allow people to start playing as anything else than a human. If different races are implemented as quest rewards it would just add something to the game, without needing a complete overhaul of all previous quests and runescape itself. A small special bonus related to a race sounds like a perfect reward for a quest granting us access to, for example, Priffdinas.

Retired High Leader of the Great Titans

linesig3bv2.jpg

DK: Dragon axe x55, Zerker x40, Warrior x44

GWD: Bandos hilt x2,Bandos plate x8,Bandos tassets x3, Bandos boots x 2, Armadyl helm x2, Armadyl hilt x1, Saradomin sword x3

Dragon drops: d chain x3, d left half x3, d legs x4, d skirt x2, d claws x6

If Jagex works on a race every year and introduce it through a quest i think it could turn out great. Anyhow i wanna hear what the obstacles are. I will mention some i know already and you guys (and girls) can mention more if you know of:

1) Overhaul of items (Weapon and armor) for new race

A Fairy could have a very small Godsword for example, just because a weapon is small does not have to mean it's not powerful.

2) Animations (Running and attacking and others)

3) Restrictions on what new races can not done (Agility leveling as an example)

or

4) Make animations for new races to do restricted things. Burning logs, doing agility course, cooking, woodcutting, fishing etc

Example a Ork race would do all skills in a brutal way. So you gotta show that off in animations.

5) Don't deal with emotes, leave that to Human race. Emotes are not that needed anyway, and being Human race have great ability too so if you want emotes you can also choose to stay as a Human.

Part of runescape is not having races and fixed classes as such. Which makes it unique to the majority of MMOs

Exactly, one the main reasons I play this game over other MMOs is you don't have to deal with permanent races and classes. I suppse if the races were changeable I wouldn't have a problem with it.

satan_panda.png

Part of runescape is not having races and fixed classes as such. Which makes it unique to the majority of MMOs

Exactly, one the main reasons I play this game over other MMOs is you don't have to deal with permanent races and classes. I suppse if the races were changeable I wouldn't have a problem with it.

If you read the thread, you will see that it can be changed for 100,000 GP per race transform.

'Nuff said.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots