The choice to choose a race in Runescape

Dire_Wolf

I did not put anything into your mouth, you do a nice job there yourself.

:twss:

All offence meant here SirHemen, you're being a total [wagon] about this. Just because someone disagrees with your post doesn't mean they have a "closed-mind". And it certainly doesn't mean you start using words that get filtered on here.

In my opinion, if you want the play as a Fairy *chuckle* then go find another MMORPG. Runescape has always had Human characters as it was designed that way. In what way does "changing into a fairy to kill a boss" add ANYTHING to the gameplay or evolution of Runescape.

All you are suggesting is hours of pointless work for the Jagex team so you can look pretty in pink :P

+1

SirHemen, you were the first one to call someone selfish tbh.

Also, as I pointed out in a previous post, it adds nothing to the game, really nothing.

It's like letting us chose how graardor looks, like a baby, an adult, a cripple, a dog,... It might be fun, but it doesn't add anything to the game. You just say: yeah, but they get abilities. Well, abilities were in RS in the first stage, they were removed, because it limited the sandbox structure of the game.

And when we say things about graphical problems etc that could be too big, you just say they could release it in little bits. This isn't a solution. It's a lot of work for nothing.

I'm not against you, but I'm trying to get the idea to your mind that your idea is impracticle, like I, like a lot of us, have said.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i were you i would do

elf : better ranging weaker magic and a special bow type like elven bow eg. elven oak bow

fairy: better magic weaker melle and staffs and wands have better stats in the hands of a fairy

human: average the ability to cure effects like poison and diesease every 5 minutes

dwarf: faster smithing and mining and slightly better str and a dwarven hammer that acts as a weapon as well as a hammer

avansie: faster movement due to flight and -10kg of weight and armadyl protection in gwd

vampire: 2x hp regeneration and zammy protection in gwd

ork: more hp and slightly better def and bandos protection in gwd

all I'm seeing in this thread is 70% saying no then an attempted solution.

With the current dynamic of RuneScape if it's not broken then don't fix it, like Outsanity said, there have been quests released to explain how beings came to be in RuneScape, then having a quest and suddenly you change races doesn't make much sense, and rotating between races for cash doesn't make much sense either, I guess you can argue about the make-over mage, but that's for the same race.

Although Races would change tiny things, it'd really be cosmetic, and then players can't do quests related to their kind, or there would have to be further quests to allow them access to it, it'd just be too much hastle, great i've done the quest, I change gender now I can't go back there unless I'm willing to cough up 100k Gp.

I really think that the Cons do outweigh the Pros here I would rather have high level content, 90+ for every skill and something unique at 99 that players with 99 can join in as a group to do, that'd be fun, races wouldnt really be fun, I mean equiptment from races sure, say an elf weapon that makes you immune to poison or something, great but turning into an elf not really.

Going back to the queen of miscellania as a goblin, she'd be like was I drunk when I agreed to marry you?

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

I think it should be added as an addition OR a completely new version as in Runescape 3 or another name.

As an addition, maybe create a new quest in each of the regions for the races, such a Moryania for vampyres. During that quest, you accidentally get morphed into the other race. Later on in the quest, you get told of the benefits of race, and given the options of turning back. However, once you finish all the quests for the races, you get visited by "emissaries" of all the races and asked which race you want to be, if you even want to change at all.

Maybe something like that?

EDIT: Or, as someone mentioned, just completely for teh sake of appearance, just looks, not advantages. I'd sure like to look like an Icyene(sp?) or a vampyre.

(And we may be able to tell immature kids apart - all the 10-year-old boys are going to choose the looks with the most [bleep]es and so on. And I don't say this out of contempt for kids, I'm a kid myself.)

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Follower of Guthix

The quill is a miracle, for it drinks darkness and sheds light.

Oh right, by the way, I'm a girl. No more calling me a guy you lot~

I think it should be added as an addition OR a completely new version as in Runescape 3 or another name.

Yes. Like I said. Mechscape.

Runescape's gameplay, mechanics, quests, and general premise are too firmly based in humanity. Offering a choice between different playable races is only a limiting factor (because by choosing one, you don't get access to the others) that doesn't have enough added value to be worth the downsides. There's really nothing good you could accomplish by changing your character's race that you couldn't accomplish by having mentors of different races who can teach you the same racial abilities. And that would take up less development time.

I personally don't like the idea, there are just too many holes to fill in with it (as pointed out in one of the first few replies). Interesting idea though.

If I become a Vampire, can I turn my player-owned house into the Batcave?

Etecoon.png

I just want to have wings and be able to fly around and stuff :thumbsup:

[hide=A funny conversation]Me:Have u wondered how my brassard, which leaves my chest bare, give about the same def as ur pile of rocks?

Friend:Hahaha

Friend:Maybe you are just good at blocking with your shoulder?

Me:Ahahahahaha[/hide]Rare drops: 4 D legs, 1 D skirt

Barrows items: 2 Verac's helms, 1 Dhorak's Greataxe, 1 Dhorak's platelegs, 2 Karil's leathertops, 1 Karil's crossbow, 1 Guthan's chainskirt

Quest cape achieved 28 Dec, 2009, lost with Nomad's Requiem, re-obtained on 19 Mar 2010.

Fire cape achieved 1 Nov 2010.

Really, then why is all the monsters mostly demons, goblins or beasts?

Just because there is human player characters everywhere does not mean that's only option. Also, a race character can have restrictions:

1) You have to turn back into Human for a quest?

2) You can't do skills, Firemaking, cooking, agility, fishing, woodcutting etc (Depending if Jagex bother to do animation for the skills or not)

Even so, if you like Human character then choose that! Infact Human race gets according to my idea +1 more prayer point every minute. That's really good!

But it's so selfish to say "Nuff said." because that's indirectly saying "I want all characters to be human race, because that's how I want it"...

Every considered some other players wants to maybe have variety?

You missed his point entirely. Runescape is the game that doesn't have playable races for characters. And even if you could change races for 100,000 gp each (totally NOT worth the change of race, in my opinion. What if I am a dwarf and am training mining and smithing but need to go farm my herbs?) this is still a god awful idea in the sense that

A.) It is not needed. This is a prime example of wanting to fix or update something that is MORE than fine the way it is.

B.) It is far too complicated and would be one of the largest projects Runescape has come up against to date. This idea in itself is NOT worth the human resources it would take to develope. Meanwhile, all the other updates would need to be pushed to the side or given less attention.

and C.) It's just another way to make things more complicated. The reason I like Runescape is because while there are tasks that require strategy, the main game itself is quite simple. If we keep building to make the game more and more complicated, it's going to scare away a lot of newer players. Runescape is pretty "new player-friendly" right now, and that's why it's one of the fastest growing online games now. I tried playing WoW but I didn't make it past the 1 hour mark for three reasons:

1. Too complicated right off the bat. It doesn't really ease you into gaming like RS does.

2. Even with my computer's specs it was still lagging my system.

and 3. You have to choose your character which means that you don't get the opportunity to train everything. You miss out on certain aspects of the game. Even if this isn't really the case, this is what I was led to believe by starting up the game. new players to runescape could feel this way if races were added, and it could turn them away.

I don't know. To each his own, but I am so so SOOO strongly against this idea to the point where not only will I not support it, but I will petition against it.

EDIT - What the hell is up with the tags? Why aren't they working?

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

CLOSE.

I never intended for this to be a suggestion. It's just another stupid action of Tip.it moderators "Oo this looks like a suggestion, let's move it!!!".

Anyhow even so i gave up on the discussion long time ago. It takes alot of time, and doubt Jagex would bother considering it.

CLOSE.

I never intended for this to be a suggestion. It's just another stupid action of Tip.it moderators "Oo this looks like a suggestion, let's move it!!!".

Anyhow even so i gave up on the discussion long time ago. It takes alot of time, and doubt Jagex would bother considering it.

Everyone has different views of a thread. As moderators, we see lots of reports from forum users as well, and it is hard to please everyone. Please don't be a jerk about not getting your way and pm an administrator or the mod if you disagree with a decision.

Moved back to general discussion as the discussion from this thread has been flourishing. ;)

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

CLOSE.

Everyone has different views of a thread. As moderators, we see lots of reports from forum users as well, and it is hard to please everyone. Please don't be a jerk about not getting your way and pm an administrator or the mod if you disagree with a decision.

Moved back to general discussion as the discussion from this thread has been flourishing. ;)

+1 , we would much rather someone PM us instead of "please close" because they don't agree with a mod's move - that was done in good judgment.

If you feel My moderators have done lots of stupid actions, i'd love for you to compile a list so I can review them myself - I take bad moderation VERY seriously.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

CLOSE.

I am sorry for acting as a jerk, but i have experienced getting flamed in serious discussions where i have been fair. Then came others who misunderstood situation and pointed finger at me.

This is also not first time a thread of mine have been moved to Suggestion forum. I merely just had ideas of the topic, my own ideas of how it could be and it was meant mostly as an example to illustrate how the topic about races could be. I even said clearly it was not meant as a suggestion in first post, though it seemed that way it was more of a discussion topic than suggestive one so i choose to post it in "General discussion".

So i am disappointed. Because i find it that flammers and spammers on TIF tend to get away and do same action another day...

+1 , we would much rather someone PM us instead of "please close" because they don't agree with a mod's move - that was done in good judgment.

If you feel My moderators have done lots of stupid actions, i'd love for you to compile a list so I can review them myself - I take bad moderation VERY seriously.

Did not bother to send a PM, so i just added "CLOSE" to thread title.

So i am disappointed. Because i find it that flammers and spammers on TIF tend to get away and do same action another day...

Last I will say, but I take accusations of biased moderating very seriously and am very interested in hard concrete examples.

Did not bother to send a PM, so i just added "CLOSE" to thread title.

My #1 pet peeve is when people always do a close/edit thread and take the ball and go home when they get upset and never attempt to pm an admin for resolution. Especially when a GOOD quality discussion is going on.

It's not like we bite or ban or warn if you have a question/complaint/comment/concern.

I've derailed the topic enough - so any further comment on this - PM me

On topic: The bonsus's seem really unbalanced.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Last I will say, but I take accusations of biased moderating very seriously and am very interested in hard concrete examples.

I understand that. Honestly i don't remember concrete examples other than one which was a thread about Firemaking.

It was about how it had no use, and Jagex in that period announced a Firemaking update (All fired up quest - big disappointment because it made Firemaking faster to level only). Anyhow i said if players in the thread had ideas of how Firemaking could be better could suggest that and i was gonna add the list of suggestions in a hide tag.

It was meant to be a topic, but once i added a list of suggestions it was moved to Suggestion forum. I was a bit annoyed about that, because the suggestions that i put on first post was as a display of how Jagex could deal with Firemaking. I think that was unfair to move it there.

Anyhow there are many good moderators, and honestly i can't say of one that's bad. I just would like it better, if a thread was moved to Suggestion forum based on:

That it's a suggestion.

The first topic you see in this thread was not updated like that in beginning.

EDIT: Sorry, you edited your post so i did not see what you wrote about PM.

On topic: The bonsus's seem really unbalanced.

Nah i think the way i presented seems very balanced. I mean Human race would be majority, and according to how i imagen it they get +1 prayer points per minute.

Would be nice with races honestly, would take a big overhaul. But like i said in thread, when Jagex could focus on a such thing they should go for it if it have good possibilities to work well.

The idea of playing different races is intriguing to a point, but I don't like the idea of special equipment, locations, or abilities/restrictions placed on each race. I think that's where you are going to run into the majority of resistance with fellow Scapers. On the other hand, what would be the point of having different races if there was nothing unique offered other than a cosmetic update. There lies the problem.

After constant nagging from friends, I finally broke down and played WoW. I ended up canceling my free trial after one week. The main reason was I didn't care for the restrictions on different races and classes. However, the game is extremely popular, so for many people they either enjoy that style of play, or they don't care.

As for me, I enjoy the open-ended style of play. I like the ability to try everything out in the game on one character. That's one of the greatest appeals Runescape has to offer players like me. When you introduce races and classes into the game, it's more than overhauling the coding. You're rewriting the game itself.

It's not a bad idea. I just don't think it fits within Runescape. However, and I'm not being facetious when I say this, but you should take your idea and write a new game with it.

rssig2.png

The idea of playing different races is intriguing to a point, but I don't like the idea of special equipment, locations, or abilities/restrictions placed on each race. I think that's where you are going to run into the majority of resistance with fellow Scapers. On the other hand, what would be the point of having different races if there was nothing unique offered other than a cosmetic update. There lies the problem.

After constant nagging from friends, I finally broke down and played WoW. I ended up canceling my free trial after one week. The main reason was I didn't care for the restrictions on different races and classes. However, the game is extremely popular, so for many people they either enjoy that style of play, or they don't care.

As for me, I enjoy the open-ended style of play. I like the ability to try everything out in the game on one character. That's one of the greatest appeals Runescape has to offer players like me. When you introduce races and classes into the game, it's more than overhauling the coding. You're rewriting the game itself.

It's not a bad idea. I just don't think it fits within Runescape. However, and I'm not being facetious when I say this, but you should take your idea and write a new game with it.

Well way i was thinking of it was that Jagex could make base forms for races first. The base form would be the beginning of races.

The restrictions would be there temporary (Because Jagex have yet to work on them). Quests i think should be restricted to Human race only. But i think it's possible for Jagex to make race character animations for all races.

I mean a Ork, when it is gonna cut woods would do it brutally. Reason i say that is because you need woodcutting animations for the races for the Woodcutting skills, and then they gotta do animations for all other skills. It's more of knowing how to do it, than it wouldn't work. From where i stand, i don't think races should be restricting to skills.

Like they could make Races, and being a race would give:

1) Small ability/advantage (But not a advantage that affects players vs players fights)

2) New appearance

For example Bandos/Armadyl protection as a Ork/Aviansie sound like a great thing. It's small yet useful advantage.

A race should only restrict you from doing a Quest, but everything else it shouldn't. But i realize that takes alot of work, but i wonder if Jagex could manage that?

As for me as a game developer, no that wouldn't work. Would be fun to do that, but i doubt i got the skills, thanks though.

Well way i was thinking of it was that Jagex could make base forms for races first. The base form would be the beginning of races.

The restrictions would be there temporary (Because Jagex have yet to work on them). Quests i think should be restricted to Human race only. But i think it's possible for Jagex to make race character animations for all races.

I mean a Ork, when it is gonna cut woods would do it brutally. Reason i say that is because you need woodcutting animations for the races for the Woodcutting skills, and then they gotta do animations for all other skills. It's more of knowing how to do it, than it wouldn't work. From where i stand, i don't think races should be restricting to skills.

Like they could make Races, and being a race would give:

1) Small ability/advantage (But not a advantage that affects players vs players fights)

2) New appearance

For example Bandos/Armadyl protection as a Ork/Aviansie sound like a great thing. It's small yet useful advantage.

A race should only restrict you from doing a Quest, but everything else it shouldn't. But i realize that takes alot of work, but i wonder if Jagex could manage that?

As for me as a game developer, no that wouldn't work. Would be fun to do that, but i doubt i got the skills, thanks though.

Oh, I don't doubt that Jagex could do it. What I meant was that if they did do it, it wouldn't be Runescape as I know it anymore. It would be a different game.

You said a race should only restrict you from doing a quest, but I think orks having Bandos protection at GWD is a big advantage, meaning every other race is at a disadvantage. If elves, as in your example, gain access to a unique mining area, then I see that as implying it's restricted for everyone else. In fact, the only place I wouldn't mind seeing advantages apparent is during PvP fights.

Again, not saying it's a bad idea altogether, as we both know races/classes are utilized in very successful MMORPGs. But a game like Runescape would require an awful lot of balancing, and even then it would detract from what I feel makes this special to me.

rssig2.png

Oh, I don't doubt that Jagex could do it. What I meant was that if they did do it, it wouldn't be Runescape as I know it anymore. It would be a different game.

You said a race should only restrict you from doing a quest, but I think orks having Bandos protection at GWD is a big advantage, meaning every other race is at a disadvantage. If elves, as in your example, gain access to a unique mining area, then I see that as implying it's restricted for everyone else. In fact, the only place I wouldn't mind seeing advantages apparent is during PvP fights.

Again, not saying it's a bad idea altogether, as we both know races/classes are utilized in very successful MMORPGs. But a game like Runescape would require an awful lot of balancing, and even then it would detract from what I feel makes this special to me.

Why would races change Runescape for you? I know it would be very different, but it would still be Runescape just with race variety in characters :D

The elf ability i set was just my idea of it. But the aim for a ability for races should be something small yet useful, and really the Elf idea was something i was most unsure of all races.

But if changing races cost little cash, it shouldn't be a problem. You wouldn't be restricted, it's like this:

You gotta wear Karjam gloves to enter the gem rocks under Karjam surface gem rocks

You gotta use Varrock armour to buy Battlestaffs/use Furnace and other advantages

Same thing here, you just change race to Elf and you go there. As for Ork giving Bandos protection, if it's a disadvantage to others they can just change to Ork race. I mean races should be easy accessible to everyone, and depending on what you gonna do you change to the race.

Being Ork gives a advantage at Bandos GWD because they won't attack you, but that should not go for Bandos boss+sergeants only the stronghold. As for PvP having race advantage, honestly i am fed up of PvP. It's so much focus on it as it is.

But races should be mostly be for appearance, so if a bonus ability makes it restricted then just drop it.

Why would races change Runescape for you? I know it would be very different, but it would still be Runescape just with race variety in characters :D

Because there would be whole new characters with new abilities. And if they don't have new abilities then what's the point, that would just be appeasing to players like me who are resistant to the idea. Also, it wouldn't make it very special if a player could easily interchange between different races like it was equipment. Again, I see that as an idea to appease me.

As we play through the game and its quests, we learn new things, unlock new secrets previously hidden to us until we help a certain tribe or race with their problem. So, for instance, we learn of fairy ring magic through the course of helping the fairies. Perhaps if you are a fairy, you'd already know the secrets of your race, and you'd have to do a different quest to learn, say, "human" magic. Is the gist of what you are talking about?

It would be an idea that would work more smoothly incorporating it into a game from the ground up, but in a game like Runescape that is already in "progress" it just seems too disruptive. And then I can already hear the complaints, "There's not enough updates for vampires! Werewolves are too overpowering!"

Sometimes I facepalm when I hear things like, "Jagex hates rangers!" or "Mages are too underpowered!" I think to myself that if you really think mage or range sucks, then why are you bothering with it? Nobody made you a ranger or a mage or a meleer. You can be all three at once if you like, or none of them, and that's what I like about Runescape.

Now, with all that said, it would be cool to play as a vampire for a few days though.

rssig2.png

Because there would be whole new characters with new abilities. And if they don't have new abilities then what's the point, that would just be appeasing to players like me who are resistant to the idea. Also, it wouldn't make it very special if a player could easily interchange between different races like it was equipment. Again, I see that as an idea to appease me.

As we play through the game and its quests, we learn new things, unlock new secrets previously hidden to us until we help a certain tribe or race with their problem. So, for instance, we learn of fairy ring magic through the course of helping the fairies. Perhaps if you are a fairy, you'd already know the secrets of your race, and you'd have to do a different quest to learn, say, "human" magic. Is the gist of what you are talking about?

It would be an idea that would work more smoothly incorporating it into a game from the ground up, but in a game like Runescape that is already in "progress" it just seems too disruptive. And then I can already hear the complaints, "There's not enough updates for vampires! Werewolves are too overpowering!"

Sometimes I facepalm when I hear things like, "Jagex hates rangers!" or "Mages are too underpowered!" I think to myself that if you really think mage or range sucks, then why are you bothering with it? Nobody made you a ranger or a mage or a meleer. You can be all three at once if you like, or none of them, and that's what I like about Runescape.

Now, with all that said, it would be cool to play as a vampire for a few days though.

Nah my way of races would not be that you get the abilities of the races, just some small ability that each race is given and that's it along with new appearance.

Anyhow i guess it's to late for races in Runescape. But yeah would be fun to play as other races :thumbsup:

Fairy for me! No just joking, i would play as Ork most.

As long as runescape stays the same, I'm happy. I don't want to be crippled because I choose a race. Sure vampires may heal good in combat, but what about skilling? That will make a lot of things biased. If you could just change the character's appearance, e.g. look like a vampire, elf, etc. without actually changing anything gameplay wise, then I'd be pretty happy. Part of WoW is been boxed-in, part of the reason why I don't play anymore. Too limiting.

That's the idea but changing races should give a small ability. But for it's mostly about the appearance though.

I don't mind the ability idea, as long as the ability makes you have to do a certain aspect of the game e.g. mage, range, woodcutting, melee etc. A small bonus that is invisible, but stacks with others would be nice (kind of like summoning familiars ;)).

disturbeda.png

I think this would, like, destroy the whole "sandbox"-ability to play. If you were to choose a race, I don't think you would be able to play runescape as freely as you can today, and in that races also have advantages against some sort of race and disadvantages against the others, the armoury would have to updated so that you would be able to defend yourself properly.

This is just my opinion though, I don't think that this would work very well with runescape. As somebody already has mentioned, that would take away the "special"thingy about this MMO.

Sry if I sound to negative :roll:

Don_XiliFied.png

31640 to achieve 99 Firemaking on 30/10-09

XiliFied.png

Thanks Zokot for the amazing sig! Visit my Rc-blog and leave a post:)

If they introduced races to RS I doubt they would put it so you where 100% Elf/Dwarf etc.

I think it would be more likely that they could make it where you where half human, half X or a quarter so that you would be generally human but with some non-human traits. That sounds more like something Jagex would do.

-- 2001 Starter --

moki.png

I think this would, like, destroy the whole "sandbox"-ability to play. If you were to choose a race, I don't think you would be able to play runescape as freely as you can today, and in that races also have advantages against some sort of race and disadvantages against the others, the armoury would have to updated so that you would be able to defend yourself properly.

This is just my opinion though, I don't think that this would work very well with runescape. As somebody already has mentioned, that would take away the "special"thingy about this MMO.

Sry if I sound to negative :roll:

No problem that your being skeptic/critical about it. But you know it does not have to be like that. Races could be made so that:

1) You did not get any race advantage (Like combat triangle)

2) You could play as any race, and it wouldn't/shouldn't limit your game play

Of course you would have to work on it alot like we been told, but if it is possible i am sure races could be put into game without limiting/restricting or taking something out of the game.