Dragon KiteShield vs DFS - Do we need it at all?

johnlocke

Debate 1: Does Runescape need a Dragon Kite, what with DFS and Spirit shield already in game?

Debate 2: Should the Kite shield be in preportion to the Square, making it ALOT weaker then DFS, or should it be stronger/ equal to?

Read on for more info on the debate

It is not yet 100% clear whether a Dragon Kiteshield will be introduced into the game, but with it being the last piece needed to complete a Full Dragon "set" it is highly likely it will be introduced at some point.

This raises two seperate debates. With the Dragon Fire Shield and spirit shields already released, does the game need a Dragon kite?

Also, some one calculated what the Dragon kites stats would be if it were at the same perportion as the rune square is to the rune kite. The defence stats were all in the +60 ish area and there was no strengh or prayer or real attack bonus. The dragon fire shields defence stats are all about 70ish and it has an 7+ strength bonus (this is for a charged DFS). The argument is, should the Dragon Kite be kept in preportion and just be brought out as a "gimmic" to complete the Dragon set, even though the DFS is better? Or should the Dragon kite be made stronger or equal to the DFS?

Remember, like the dragon full helm, a Dragon kite will most likely be a "rareish" drop, and cost a fare amount. Should Jagex disregard this and give it preportionate stats lower the DFS any way just to complete the Dragon set and the kite would just be for "looks" really? Or should they take this into consideration and make the Dragon kite something really special so it is worth getting to fight with?

Happy debating, i'll put my opinion in later :D

Edit: Here's what i found in the suggestions forum, the predicted stats for the shield if it was in preportion to both how the rune kite is to the addy kite and the square is to the kite

STATS:

Attack:

-Stab +/- 0

-Slash +/- 0

-Crush +/- 0

-Magic -8

-Ranged -2

Defense:

-Stab +62

-Slash + 64

Crush +64

Magic -1

Ranged +62

Summoning +60

Other:

Strength +/- 0

Prayer +/-0

Ranged Strength +/- 0

And these are the DFS stats, fully charged.

STATS:

Attack:

-Stab +/- 0

-Slash +/- 0

-Crush +/- 0

-Magic -10

-Ranged -5

Defense:

-Stab +70

-Slash + 75

Crush +72

Magic +10

Ranged +72

Summoning +67

Other:

Strength + 7

Prayer +/-0

Ranged Strength +/- 0

John_L_Ocke.png

Add me, PM is always ON

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personaly, I think it's a bit to late for a Dragon Kite. If it had been released before the Draconic Visage Update, then yes, it would have had a purpose, but I'm just thinking about its role in the game.

After being released, the Dragon Kite will undoubtably be overly expensive and probably more then the DFS. Why would any serious player buy something with lower defence stats that costs more then its better competitor? The D-Kite would become just another "status" item, like 3rd Age has become. Not a serious combat piece, but just an item for the richer, flashy players to buy to complete their Dragon set.

Ofcourse this opinion is only applicable if the D-Kite is in preportion to the Square. Most would say "no problem! we have an issue with people hitting to high now days. A better defencive shield is whats needed!" but this would mean the kite would simply out power the rest of the Dragon set. If released it would have to be perportionate to the rest of the set, making it far to weak.

I'd love to see the Dragon full set finally complete... but i see no place for a Dragon Kite in the game. Because of this I'm undecided on if it should or shouldn't be released.

John_L_Ocke.png

Add me, PM is always ON

I don't think we need Dragon kiteshield, but can't wait for it to be released. So all useless Dragon item will no longer be released!

But Dragon kiteshield is not something i would dislike. Just wouldn't use it if the stats would stink.

Who says that every item Jagex releases has to trump the other items already released? I believe we need a decent, somewhat costly item that isn't quite as good as the Dragonfire Shield. The dragonfire shield still costs around 20 million gp, which is quite expensive to lots of players. Not everyone can or wants to invest that much in a shield, which you then have to charge up to unlock its full potential. I personally would like to see the Dragon Kiteshield released as an item that requires a quest to be able to wield it. If I had to guess, I would pick the final quest in the Rise of the Red Axe series, which is said to be a Grandmaster quest.

So do we need a dragon kiteshield? Jagex has given us lots of items that we don't need, some of which barely anybody uses. Even items, monsters, quests, and areas that are extremely popular and widely used are not necessarily needed by the Runescape community. I don't think there will be people who will cry if we don't get one, but I'm sure people will use it if Jagex does choose to reward us with a new shield.

-Runescape Addict --- Seven-time Writer for the Tip.It Times-

"Yes I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you the illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion." - The Glass Menagerie

DragonkinFF13Sig2copy.jpg

"This game isn't about graphics, it's about fun." - The Great Ortiz 9471

<> Dragon drops: Plateskirt(1), Half Shield(1) <>

It definiatly should NOT top the DFS stats, nobody likes dragon armour so why make more junky, ugly armour that everyone dumps after a period of time.

I must be "nobody" then. :?

While I think the chance for a Dragon Kite has already passed, we could still use one. There's no reason that it couldn't come to pass; and if we're comparing its stats to a fully charged DFS, that would mean that it's second only to that. We could then add bonuses and effects later on and as they're needed.

Honestly, the the Dragon Kite should probably be about equal to the DFS, since the DFS is just a big ol' Visage attached to a anti-fire shield anyway.

All in all, I'd like to see a Dragon Kite in the game. It's kinda silly to run around with full Dragon & a Square shield nowadays, isn't it...?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

It definiatly should NOT top the DFS stats, nobody likes dragon armour so why make more junky, ugly armour that everyone dumps after a period of time.

Thank you for speaking on the entire behalf of the Runescape population without asking their opinion. :wall:

I actually prefer dragon armor to barrows because I don't have to fix it all the time, plus I can wield a shield with my weapon of choice and still be able to use my weapon's special attack.

"Yes I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you the illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion." - The Glass Menagerie

Going back to when the Dragon plate was released, what happened? It's price was ridiculously high, it's stats weren't that good, and really it was just to late. I remember reading something on the RSOF about if the plate had been released a year or two earlier how popular it would have been, I reckon that if a Dragon kite is introduced a similar scenario will occur.

I don't think that if released it should be as strong as the Dragonfire shield. Dragonfire shield's while being seen as common are still technically a rare item, it's not every day you get a visage. I think that if a Dragon kite was released it would help to end another debate about Dragonfire shields not being the Godsword of shields.

All i all I think that JaGex missed the boat for this one, bringing it out would cause a spark for a few weeks, a month at max. But eventually the buzz would die down and then you have another junk Dragon item.

4sDIn.png

at one point, the dragon kite was needed. now its pointless. just like the dragon plate. jagex released it too late to be of any use. it would just be a status symbol, though the stats should be slightly less than DFS, but not completely useless

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

dragonkiteshield.jpg

I think that the concept art looks pretty cool, it might be a fairly decent status symbol. We have enough status symbols, but oh well. I'm against it, myself. It would be slightly better for range slayers.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

I have an idea that may make the Dragon Kite Shield actually worth having.

It could boost your attack by 20% when you are using a Dragon weapon.

It's a nice idea, but that is way too much of bonus. Maybe 5% or 10% is more reasonable. I'd like a stackable +5% strength and attack bonus. I doubt it will happen though. I'm thinking it will be a quest item like the dragon scimitar.

Of course the dragon kite should be released it doesn't matter if the stats aren't as good as dragonfire shield. They released the dragon platebody when we already had stuff that was better such as barrows. I'm guessing it will be like the dragon square shield except with four pieces instead of two. And it would be cool if it required a quest this time unlike some of the more recently released dragon equipment.

elapid66.png

99 range 6.12.09 / quest cape 8.16.09 / 99 construction 2.17.10

If it where released, it would have to be far worse than the DFS or spirit shields, DFS recquire 75 def and dragon a mere 60. But it would have to be dropped by a high leveled monster and be rare. I think this would just be a wealth item as mentioned above.

vcz3sx.png

PSN: Skaterguy1224 Tactical Nukes - 22

If a Dragon Kiteshield would be made, then it would just be like the Full Helm and claws all over again.

Unless Jagex made it pretty simple to obtain, I don't think we need it.

However, if Jagex DID make it easy to get, like being able to purchase it from a shop after completing a certain quest, then it could be used as a shield that players with only 70 defence could use until they get 75 defence.

Kayla_Whirl.png

Kayla_Whirl.png

99 Agility Achieved : 9/7/09

• 2 weeks later...