WoW cataclysm and RuneScape

Trey

Anyone else realize the new WoW skill is...Archeology? :shock: Stolen idea from us?

Also, to anyone thinking of actually playing WoW...don't. It really gets old...If you just want to level characters and stuff then you might have fun, but if you want to do the "popular" thing and play at max level, I dont see how anyone could stand it for more than a couple months. Raiding is such a complicated process and a huge pain in the [wagon]. It is fun at first when you do 10 man raids and your gear is far from nice, but as soon as you get all your epics it starts to get really stupid and boring. Next thing you know youre spending 3-4 nights of your week waiting around for 25 people to get online so that you can spend 5 hours killing the same bosses you always kill over and over again to just roll the dice and see if you can get a 1% upgrade to your gear...it gets really boring.

And the PvP is mediocre at best. Not balanced at all and chances are that youre going to have to grind a new class up to 80 every patch if you want to be the best because there is always one or two classes that just absolutely dominate in arena. That is, till they get nerfed, and then a new class becomes stupidly powerful for like a couple months.

Another thing is that they have hardly accomodated their game interface to the modern evolution of the game. They expect you to download and install addons to make the interface look like the way you want it to. Its nice that it can completely be customized...but every time the game is patched, chances are you have to spend a lot of time fixing your outdates addons and making sure that the new versions of them are all configured properly. Overall, WoW just is too much politics and work for me. Not enough kicking back and enjoying the game. It's really all stress. If youre a RL failure who needs a sense of accomplishment from a video game, then WoW is pefect cause theres always work to do. But if you like to leave stress out of your game and just have fun adventuring, WoW is really not that great. I'd hardly call it exciting. All the quests are the same, all the dungeons are really simple...its just a bore.

Something I would like to actually point out is that Runescape reeeaaally beats WoW when it comes to quest design. Most RS quests these days have some type of cinematic sequence for you to enjoy. In WoW, all it is is text (which nobody reads). It tells you the number of items to gather/kill/rescue and then you do that and then you get your gold as a reward.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played both wow and runescape a lot over the years.

I hope this hasn't been said before in this thread, but atm i'm kinda too lazy to read everything, anyway, here goes:

If you're a hardcore player in WoW, the content gets old and boring so fast. You get a major content patch in about every 6 months, few months here-there, where as in Runescape the updates are constant and happen more often.

For someone who said that WoW has weekly updates, you're wrong. WoW has weekly server maintenance and sometimes they toss in some bug fixes and other stuff like that to the game during them

WoW has turned into a game where you basically just log in and get the best gear, a casual, care-bear game. But in runescape things actually take some effort and there is a death penalty, which is a very important aspect in mmos imo.

//edit: also, the poster above me summed some things up really nicely.

I don't think adding incredibly strong armor or weapons is that good an idea.... most PvP duels already only last a few seconds, we don't want to make them so fast no-one can respond quickly enough. There's only 99 hp possible, you know.

There's also PvM... In my opinion we do not need weapons with alot higher strenght bonusses than the one we already have. What high levels really want(or just what I want ::' ) is armour/weapons with special abilities and set effects. An armour with defence bonus similar to statius that gives +5hp if you're wearing the full set for example, or a mage weapon with a special attack.

what I would really like to see is a new continent with increased skill caps OR with different skill sets (like spellbooks for skills).

This would have to be fine tuned of course but there are many ways to go about this.

-content exclusive items (ores, fish, trees, weapons, armour)

-new items that can be used anywhere but with a balanced item-level progression

-with skill cap increase we could make dragon items. level 100 for 1 bar dragon items, 101 for 2 bar etc.

-tons of other stuff.

lyl,

spiroff <3

A new continent, or a new world would be nice, and would also be the easiest way for Jagex to create better gear without making it overpowered.

Retired High Leader of the Great Titans

linesig3bv2.jpg

DK: Dragon axe x55, Zerker x40, Warrior x44

GWD: Bandos hilt x2,Bandos plate x8,Bandos tassets x3, Bandos boots x 2, Armadyl helm x2, Armadyl hilt x1, Saradomin sword x3

Dragon drops: d chain x3, d left half x3, d legs x4, d skirt x2, d claws x6

I'd feel that Runescape would stagnate after a few months if we had infrequent updates, especially when there's the chance of messing up that update. Sure there's things that the game isn't quite up to scratch on, but there's potential, and you still can't deny that it's amazing how this thing still runs off Java. I'd like to see these updates in the future:

Customisable interface, using click and drag similar to items.

More variety of high level content, achieved through Smithing or Crafting or similar, not as monster drops. (Armour and weapon customisation?)

A continuation of the graphics updates.

HD version of music, in an MP3 format. Even better, make them full orchestral. Remix old songs if they're not good enough.

Better area sounds, including footsteps, talking crowds, and sound modifiers such as echos.

Big Combat Update, where the player must be more active in the battle, not respond to it. I'm talking combat stances and attack patterns, fine tuning spells, firing in the air into crowds, and so on. Also, combat animations should be more complex and varied.

WASD+Mouse controls, with a switch for using the chat such as Enter.

Sure, they're big updates, and should be widely separated over time with smaller updates inbetween, but I have no doubt that Runescape has this kind of potential.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I don't think adding incredibly strong armor or weapons is that good an idea.... most PvP duels already only last a few seconds, we don't want to make them so fast no-one can respond quickly enough. There's only 99 hp possible, you know.

solution: find a way to raise the hp cap without it being insanely hard to get a level, but hard enough that it would be implausible to get like...99999 hp.

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

also balancing is done weekly or monthly

Balancing must be done prior to releasing content. Rebalancing equals to an extreme failure in development. The frequency doesn't matter, really. If you rebalance often, people who are like "Go get a job? Nah, i'll better play (insert singleplayer/mmo name here)" and who play 18/7 (those six hours include not only sleep, btw in our country we have quite a lot of such guys) get to enjoy the imbalance and pwn everyone with their imba char even though they fail at life, while people who play WoW for fun just get pwned and can gtfo - however frequent rebalancing pleases the players, because most players are just like zombies - they don't understand the situation.

When rebalancing is done each six months/more it is awful, except that this time everyone can create an imbalanced character. Sure you might say that all other classes get highly unpopular due to the fact, but face the fact that noone wants to play a perfectly balanced game because everyone wants their choice to matter and definitely NOT SKILL (Like... "LOL U NOOB TANK I R PRO CUZ I HAVE LEIGHT ARMR AND DAGGER AND I TWO HIT ENY KLASS IN GAME!!!! LOL0l0l0l0l I PWN!").

Trust me, a perfectly balanced game is just for hardcore players, which are less than 10% of the gamer population. Blizzard is just trying to please the players. Players who don't understand a [cabbage].

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

Eh, I probably won't give it a go. I got to level 70 on WoW, got epic gear, raided at least 4 times a week, went bg's with my guild weekly also for at least 6 hours...I'm not going back to that again. And they say runescape is a grind :roll:

And would you people PLEASE stop comparing WoW to runescape? The only similarity between the two is they are MMO's. That isn't a reason to compare them. Seriously, all those WoW vs Runescape videos on youtube are just facepalms. But to talk about it on a runescape forum? I didn't know fail spread so quickly :wall:

But Guild Wars 2...Now that's a reason to get excited about something.

I do agree that Jagex should probably expand a bit, with the current teams they can't deal with all the problems within the week of been reported. More like 5-10 weeks...And they do a good job with regular updates, but none of them are particularly as cool as other MMO's. But I don't really care, because an update is an update. I find videos are created to cover the crap behind some updates, so I usually don't trust them.

disturbeda.png

[hide=]

I guess when I said new races I didn't elaborate enough. I do not want playable races but I would like to see area specific races like dwarfs, elves, gnomes to live in the new areas that are developed.

Keldagrim.

Tirannwn. (Lletya)

Tree Gnome Stronghold, Tree Gnome Village.

Well if you actually read what I posted you would see that I was suggesting new areas with new races specific to those new areas. therefor, I would like to see new races that are area specific. The dwarfs, elves and gnomes were examples. :D

While I don't want to see the true endgame get released too soon just start throwing some bones at us with 90+ level requirements would be a good starting point.

Well we're pretty much screwed on high level content. juglyx can't release high level content because they've hit the ceiling (for the most part). Adding better things to the game would, as people have said, be end game. They didn't plan that well in the early days of runescape and now its hard release things without screwing up the balance. like weapons with out accompanying armour to defend against the new weapons.

for skill content lets take a look at smithing. The tables have been set from day one. What takes 99 smithing to make only requires 40 defense/attack to wear/weild. So smithing can't really be updated that much farther they have level 99 content that only yields items that are low level. High level content cant be released because they cant go any higher. and with that being true, while they continue to keep the game the same, more and more people reach the "high level" mark, which increases the demand for high level content.

what I would really like to see is a new continent with increased skill caps OR with different skill sets (like spellbooks for skills).

This would have to be fine tuned of course but there are many ways to go about this.

-content exclusive items (ores, fish, trees, weapons, armour)

-new items that can be used anywhere but with a balanced item-level progression

-with skill cap increase we could make dragon items. level 100 for 1 bar dragon items, 101 for 2 bar etc.

-tons of other stuff.

lyl,

spiroff <3

[/hide]

I think you're right on with saying they've hit the ceiling.

RS as I see it has been one massive fail for the most part that happens to be enjoyable to play. Think about it, the game feels like it's under beta construction more than it does actually finished.

Most skills are left off at 75-80, quests are left at cliffhangers for years and we get updates smothered in bugs. Don't get me wrong I love RS but I think Jagex has put themselves in a major corner when it comes to high level content.

Godswords as it is can hit into the 70's, and they are a level 75 weapon. If they were to release a 90 or 99 weapon, at the current power scale they would hit well over 99. What's jagex to do about that? The combat triangle is seriously out of balance, but they can never seem to get it to balance equally.

The lack of armor variation is sickening, and the more I think about it the more I want to come back in 2 years and see how they've improved.

The reason I decided to buy WoW is that when I watched that trailer, something about it made me excited, for a game I don't even play. I wanted to see the entire, massive World of Warcraft torn apart and graphically re worked, because that right there is exciting, epic content. Not Rag and Bone man 2 mega errand boy wishlist for a crap reward kind of content.

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009

Runescape is a browser based game. It will never compare to WoW.

Correct.

WoW's biggest competitor will be next year, made by themselves (Blizzard) with Diablo 3 in my opinion.

Have to also take into account the experience blizzard has as a developer, where as Jagexs first and only hit was RuneScape.

http://funorb.com/

does funorb have a million members?

@The previous poster

They had people from everquest you know... people from everquest, an earlier mmo, helped make WoW

Smellysocks said hit, not big hit.

Funorb isn't even a hit. JAGeX needs to advertise the new stuff on the RS home page to make people play them...

I even think there are still more people playing Warcraft 3 online than Funorb.

I guess when I said new races I didn't elaborate enough. I do not want playable races but I would like to see area specific races like dwarfs, elves, gnomes to live in the new areas that are developed.

Keldagrim.

Tirannwn. (Lletya)

Tree Gnome Stronghold, Tree Gnome Village.

Well if you actually read what I posted you would see that I was suggesting new areas with new races specific to those new areas. therefor, I would like to see new races that are area specific. The dwarfs, elves and gnomes were examples. :D

They have done it with Elves, Ogres, Dwarfs, Eagles, Camels and whatnot. I'm sure more will be released in due time.

Also, I would like to see quests, where the player's choices have an effect on the events of that quest and on the next parts of that questline.

There are now like... 2 quests where we have to make a choice that affects the rest of said quest, while it doesn't show in the follow-up (WGS).

Anyone else realize the new WoW skill is...Archeology? :shock: Stolen idea from us?

Well waddayaknow. Blizzard devs actually listened to RS players.

Take note, JAGeX.

priest_wiz.png

Correct.

WoW's biggest competitor will be next year, made by themselves (Blizzard) with Diablo 3 in my opinion.

Have to also take into account the experience blizzard has as a developer, where as Jagexs first and only hit was RuneScape.

And the fact that Jagex was at the fair start of the MMO regime.

Blizzard was able to stand back and watch what other Developers did. They looked at others mistakes and made their game (WoW) based off of others games disadvantages (like runescape).

wasn't it wow who made mmorpg's big, and also wow didn't stand back to look at others, they did it themselves, other mmo's are based on wow, lotro warhammer conan and all that crap, they saw blizz and thought: so there is a market for mmo's!

Correct.

Blizzard was able to stand back and watch what other Developers did. They looked at others mistakes and made their game (WoW) based off of others games disadvantages (like runescape).

wasn't it wow who made mmorpg's big, and also wow didn't stand back to look at others, they did it themselves, other mmo's are based on wow, lotro warhammer conan and all that crap, they saw blizz and thought: so there is a market for mmo's!

Actually WoW was based on other MMO's, even though now other other MMO's are basing themselves on WoW.

You should do the research before making a statement.

priest_wiz.png

And Runescape was hear long before WoW. WoW is also a very one dimensional game IMO. Most games copy it's combat aspect and round out the rest of the games themselves.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Correct.

Erm no, Wow was built on everquest's model. /nitpick

Everquest.... Since EQ2 release it's popularity started to dwindle. How can you make something good by taking a half-failed model as a base?

Maybe constant & quite frequent big updates/upgrades is the key?

Anyway, UO is much better than EQ/EQ2 and it's failed sucessors (e.g. AO & similar).

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

Everquest.... Since EQ2 release it's popularity started to dwindle. How can you make something good by taking a half-failed model as a base?

Maybe constant & quite frequent big updates/upgrades is the key?

Anyway, UO is much better than EQ/EQ2 and it's failed sucessors (e.g. AO & similar).

Because a model can be good, while the handling, development, release, marketing, etc can all be flawed. I remember my friend playing Everquest around 2002, right around when I started on RS. It was cool. Popular too I think. So I don't really remember EQ2 and when it hit the skids.

I think it would be great if JaGex released more Runescape videos/trailers as advertisement. It could really rile people up and get them exited.

The videos could be about new updates or about the existing game.

4e0Vn.png

Funorb isn't even a hit. JAGeX needs to advertise the new stuff on the RS home page to make people play them...

I even think there are still more people playing Warcraft 3 online than Funorb.

Here are the numbers you were guessing on:

Warcraft III: reign of chaos - player's daily -playing arranged games 4,000-7,000 - custom games(player made maps) 1,400- 5,000

warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - player's daily - playing arranged games 70,000-120,000 - custom games(player made maps) 30,000 - 70,000

I think a post somewhere in this thread asked for server costs. I did some calculations in another thread which should give a general area of how much it costs Jagex per year to run the servers.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=790988&p=6612493#p6612493

Quote - Revenge is such a nasty thing that only breeds more vengeful souls, but in some situations revenge does not even need to be sought out, but only bided.

When I first heard about it, I thought it was a joke. But, lo and behold!, it's happening.

And it really is going to change WoW forever.

So what is this teaching us? That, maybe, a large change to the basics of a game, age old traditions, may be JUST what it needs to refresh itself? Maybe Jagex should try it some time. I mean, most aspects of Runescape are obsolete/broken. Combat is so primitive it's sad. Most skills run at a constant loss. PvP can be the most profitable endeavor, even if you're not particularly good. High level combat is MIA. Jagex has hit a ceiling. The economy is in shambles and the G.E. is still rather flawed.

Maybe the solution IS to change everything. Remake combat regardless of how much it pisses people off. Release high end content and remake old content to be more dynamic. Fix the G.E. and get off your lazy bums and take a stand against Manipulation clans.

You wanna know why Blizzard is the industry leader? Cause they learn and do things differently.

Learn Jagex. Learn.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Cataclysm may look cool, but it actually isn't all that cool. It's basically the same thing as the past 2 expansions but glorified. But I guess since they haven't released much info, I shouldn't be saying much. And also I thought it looked great at first, but I'm bored of WoW.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

WoW has a greater learning curve than RuneScape I'll say that much, with certain classes doing different things but RuneScape is so much simpler with the combat triangle, which to be honest with you simplicity is sometimes the key.

That sentance made me think about the granite maul examine: Simplicity is the best weapon.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Cataclysm may look cool, but it actually isn't all that cool. It's basically the same thing as the past 2 expansions but glorified. But I guess since they haven't released much info, I shouldn't be saying much. And also I thought it looked great at first, but I'm bored of WoW.

It doesn't really have any staying power. Eventually it becomes a waste of time, because you want to be able to do more than just combat. Sure you can go train your profession, but they have to be the dullest part of the game. Eventually you are sucked back into the whole PvP aspect and Raiding (AKA grinding) for gear and more cash. The game just revolves around combat until you can't get any further.

It's fun for a while, but I got sick of it. Although it is is definitely deeper and more immerse than runescape, it really isn't. Because it all leads back to PvP, bg's and raiding with guild members/random strangers/"friends".

disturbeda.png

When I first heard about it, I thought it was a joke. But, lo and behold!, it's happening.

So what is this teaching us? That, maybe, a large change to the basics of a game, age old traditions, may be JUST what it needs to refresh itself? Maybe Jagex should try it some time. I mean, most aspects of Runescape are obsolete/broken. Combat is so primitive it's sad. Most skills run at a constant loss. PvP can be the most profitable endeavor, even if you're not particularly good. High level combat is MIA. Jagex has hit a ceiling. The economy is in shambles and the G.E. is still rather flawed.

Maybe the solution IS to change everything. Remake combat regardless of how much it pisses people off. Release high end content and remake old content to be more dynamic. Fix the G.E. and get off your lazy bums and take a stand against Manipulation clans.

You wanna know why Blizzard is the industry leader? Cause they learn and do things differently.

Learn Jagex. Learn.

I don't mind the combat. I rather like it simple. They can add some monsters to liven it up, but I'm not interested. And skills run at a constant loss due to people willing to pay to train their skills easier. And since they do it so adamantly, they drive up the prices. Supply and Demand. It does stink sometimes though.

Learn Jagex. Learn.

You're way to pessimistic about everything. The economy is not in shambles, it is far better now than when the GE was originally released. Combat is fundamentally fine, it's what I see as a foundation for a far more complex potential combat system. Training a skill is going to run at a loss in any reasonable economy because there's a huge demand to level up and get at the parts that make a profit. Many skills reach their peak well before level 99, so there's potential. PvP is much better than the original Bounty Hunter, but it's still a work in progress.

They aren't mistakes, they're unfinished buisiness.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

And none of it even affects me in the least. Since I'm entirely self sufficient, fluctuations in prices don't bother me. In fact, since I frequently have spare, people willing to pay for the raws only nets me more money.

Hey, I may not have any 99's, but I did all my skills by myself without anyone else. ::'

In WoW, I have to interact with other people constantly. Work with them, depend on them, etc. I'm way too much of an individualist to like WoW.