Different Albums from a Different Poster! Erk's 30 Albums!

Erk02

Hey guys, welcome to my first topic in at least a year. I've always loved to talk about music, but I can almost never find someone who listens to all the stuff I do. So, I go to the internet, where there are actually people that I can relate to. Here we go!

1. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

In_the_aeroplane_over_the_sea_album_cover_copy.jpg

Nothing like a good old pseudo-indie album to start off you list, eh? In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is surprisingly easy to listen to, with some interesting instrumental choices. You'll hear cool lyrics, coupled with cryptic lyrics, really making for an album not quite like any other.

2. Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary

ApologiestotheQueenMary.jpg

If you don't take anything else away from my post here, I want you to at least watch the video for this song:[hide=Wolf Parade - I'll Believe in Anything][yt]df91aCyNMPo[/yt][/hide]

Anyways, another indie album! Hooray! The singer's voice is really weird, but you'll get used to it. I was introduced to these guys in my English class last year, and for a good reason. With some excellent lyrics (when you watch the video, listen to the lyrics) and some really unique sounds, they're a change of pace from your normal music.

3. King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

IntheCourtoftheCrimsonKing.jpg

King Crimson's first and most famous album, In the Court of the Crimson King is considered to be a landmark in progressive rock. Containing heavy riffs, jazz fusion, long experimental solos, deep lyrics, there's no real reason not to like this album.

4. Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies

Band_of_Gypsys_album.jpg

The best Hendrix album. If you don't agree, your opinion is WRONG. A totally different style from the Experience, this album was recorded at the Fillmore East in New York. There's really nothing more to be said about this album aside from that it kicks all sorts of [wagon] and you need to listen to it.[hide=Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun][yt]sVvtIS2YGVI[/yt][/hide]

5. Dire Straits - Dire Straits

DS_Dire_Straits.jpg

Mark Knopfler is a great guitarist. He has an awesome tone, and this album is made tons better by his playing. Not to mention, he is also a great lyricist, and delivers the words in a one-of-a-kind manner.

6. The Decemberists - Picaresque

Picaresque.jpg

These guys used to be indie, until people realized how wonderful they are. Picaresque, easily their best album, is full of epics, each of them telling a different story, be it tragic, or one of revenge. Many of these songs do not take place in the modern world we live in, so these guys use instruments such as bagpipes and accordions to really give the old feeling.

7. De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising

DeLaSoul3FeetHighandRisingalbumcover.jpg

Rap! In my TIF? What is this? It's a great album, that's what. What would happen if you fused old-school rap with psychedelic music? You'd get 3 Feet High and Rising. With no references to clubbing, taking drugs, or making money, this album is a goldmine of quirky lyrics and sampling. Really, you have to get this album. Even if you don't listen to rap normally, you need to make an exception for this album. It's that good.

8. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

ZiggyStardust.jpg

A wonderful concept(?) album by David Bowie, one which really showcases his ability as a songwriter and equally as a musician.

9. Cream - Disraeli Gears

DisraeliGears.jpg

Psychedelic rock combined with blues, with Eric Clapton on guitar. Just incredible. Don't expect any of the lyrics to make any sense, though.

10. Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

The_Freewheelin%27_Bob_Dylan.jpg

Considered one of the great songwriters of the 20th century, some of Bob Dylan's best, such as Blowin' in the Wind, are contained on this album. Really good if you can take the time to listen to the lyrics.

11. The Who - Who's Next

Whosnext.jpg

The Who's best album, with a ton of good songs. You have no idea how much fun I had when I learned I could sing this on Rock band. It's just so much fun to become Roger Daltrey for a bit and scream with him on Won't Get Fooled Again.

12. Genesis - Selling England by the Pound

GenesisSellingEngland.jpg

One of the greatest prog bands ever, Genesis has some great material on this album. Their most commercially successful, album, they perform nothing less than pure progressive rock, with some powerful lyrics if you actually listen to them.

13. The Doors - Strange Days

AlbumStrangeDays.jpg

Everything that I like The Doors for is on this album; quirky lyrics, Jim Morrison, and catchy songs. Also, the album cover is just the coolest thing ever. Strange Days indeed.

14. A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm

ATCQPeople%27sInstinctTravels.jpg

My favorite Tribe album, this is another rap album that shows that gangsta isn't the only kind of rap out there. All of you kids who say that rap is terrible because it's all about guns, drugs, women, etc., give these guys a listen.

15. The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Pepper%27s.jpg

The first psychedelic rock album, Sgt. Pepper's provides influence to musicians today, even 40+ years after it was initially released. Really cool break from the sappy Beatles stuff.

16. De La Soul - Buhloone Mindstate

Buhloone_Mindstate_cover.jpg

The apex of jazz/hip-hop fusion, De La Soul's fourth EP is groundbreaking in many ways. First off, it has random sax solos by legendary musicians, namely Maceo Parker. Second, it has a whole song done in Japanese by a guest Japanese DJ. Third, it has one of my absolute favorite lines in a rap song ever: "[bleep] bein' hard, Posdnuos (the rapper's stage name) is complicated!" Which is nothing less than a big middle finger to gangsta rap. Also, the album itself is great. Lots of funny lyrics, but some convey serious messages of oppression and drug abuse.

17. Dream Theater - Train of Thought

Dream_Theater_-_Train_of_Thought.jpg

Probably the first real metal album on this list, Train of Thought is my favorite DT album. My reason? It's heavy, it takes itself way too seriously, just like every other DT album, and it's just awesome.

18. The Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed

LetitbleedRS.jpg

A rather country album by the Stones, it really just sounds good. All of the songs on the album are famous, and are fun to sing along to.

19. Rush - 2112

Rush_2112.jpg

I mean, what list of albums would be complete without at least one Rush album? Rush's breakthrough album, 2112 is one of my favorite epics of all time, not just because of the great playing, but because of the awesome story it tells.

20. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Couldn't Stand the Weather

SRVcouldntstandtheweather.jpg

SRV's album really shows his ability to play the guitar with tracks like Scuttle Buttin', and he shows his arrangement abilities on his cover of Voodoo Chile (Slight Return).

21. Spoon - Girls Can Tell

Spoon.png

Woohoo! More indie rock! An interesting album, with a really distinct mood. Britt Daniel, the lead singer has a great voice that compliments their music really well. More cool lyrics.

22. Quasi - Featuring "Birds"

FeaturingBirds.jpg

This is getting pretty obscure. Lots of keyboard, with a few Aldous Huxley influenced songs, such as the linked one. Again, lyrics, lyrics, lyrics.

[hide=Quasi - Our Happiness is Guaranteed]Orbiting pods, underwater domes

We fill our tanks with oxygen to step outside our homes.

Once it was hard, now it's just routine

And I can't tell the difference between people and machine.

Love was a problem for our ancestors;

It's not such a problem anymore.

Breeding as a science proved it has no use at all

And it mostly disappeard when we eliminated war.

There's comfort and control, it's safe for you and me.

News for the surface shows how hard life there can be.

why live in danger ? why live with pain ?

People from the surface find it hard to explain.

And every little thing is strictly monitored;

We're given everything we need.

Fed by I.V., we rarely need to sleep

There's no pointless dreaming and out happiness is guaranteed.[/hide]

23. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png

There's really not much to be said for this one. However, if you're one of the 23 people in the world who doesn't like this album, you should listen to it consecutively. That's the only way to go with this one.

24. Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica

TheMoonAntarctica.jpg

Another great indie record, The Moon & Antarctica is a great album to get if you don't usually listen to indie. Modest Mouse is one of the most popular indie/alternative bands right now, and for a good reason.

25. Muse - Origin of Symmetry

Museoriginofsymemtryalbumcover.jpg

Basically the defining Muse album. So many things going on at once, yet really energizing, especially with Bellamy's incredible singing ability.

26. Iron and Wine - The Shepard's Dog

Sheperd%27s-dog.jpg

A really cool album by singer Iron and Wine. Unlike his debut album (which is also great, look up The Creek Drank the Cradle), this album uses a lot of sounds other than the acoustic guitar. Coupled with his song-writing ability, the result is almost divine.

27. The Ramones - Road to Ruin

Road_to_Ruin.jpg

Definitely one of the best punk albums. The album exhibits what the Ramones' style was; punk, but having fun. Very different from punk that only tries to send a message, and sacrifices its musical-ness.

28. Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz

Blizzard_of_ozz.jpg

RIP Randy Rhoades. Ozzy's classics are on this album, and Rhoades' guitar really shines on tracks like Mr. Crowley. If you like Ozzy, or any heavy metal, this is the album.

29. De La Soul - De La Soul is Dead

De_La_Soul_is_Dead_album_cover.jpg

Not quite on par with the other two De La Soul albums I've mentioned, but this one has hilarious skits that discuss the album itself, and some great conversations in form of a song. Get it.

30. Pink Floyd - Animals

Pink_Floyd-Animals-Frontal.jpg

Surprisingly, this is my favorite Pink Floyd album. I feel it has the most powerful lyrics of all their albums, and the instrumental bits speak as loudly as the lyrics.

Wow, that took a really long time. I know the writing is terrible, but I hope you can expand your musical tastes by reading this. There's nothing that would disappoint me more than if you read this, posted a reply, but didn't try out my music. I love being introduced to music by others, and I love returning the favor. Enjoy!

mssigqc5.jpgI do English to Japanese and Japanese to English translation for free! Just keep it under 5 sentences, and PM me to use my fluency in Japanese to your advantage!

Great list, lots of variation. :) Going to check out Quasi. :) Thumbs up for Neutral Milk Hotel on 1. :thumbup:

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Nice list.

Thanks for reminding me about Dire Straits, tried to get into them a year or two ago but couldn't. I'll give them a second round.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I almost put Dire Straits on mine, but just couldn't find a place for it. Love the band, though.

Pretty decent list.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I thought you listened to totally different music for some reason.

Okay list, I don't really like most of it though.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I thought you listened to totally different music for some reason.

Okay list, I don't really like most of it though.

You're definitely right. My library has a lot more than just these albums. For example, I listen a lot more thrash/hair metal, but I've sorta phased that out right now. This list is just what I'm into now. It changes a lot.
mssigqc5.jpgI do English to Japanese and Japanese to English translation for free! Just keep it under 5 sentences, and PM me to use my fluency in Japanese to your advantage!

I think I could get to like most of these artists on this list, with the exception of De La Soul.

Nice list.

Weird, De La Soul is one of my favorites on the list, actually. But I am happy you'd try my music!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Finally, someone with enough sense to put a [bleep]ing Beatles album on their list.

The Beatles really aren't all that good :? .

:lol:

:lol:

Tip.it (or maybe the internet more generally) is the only place where The Bealtes suck and Meagan Fox is ugly...strange lol.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

The Beatles don't suck, they aren't even overrated. You can't give a band like the Beatles too much credit for what they have done. I'm not really a fan, though.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I don't know how anyone can dislike The Beatles. I like almost everything they've done, but they're so diverse that almost anyone should be able to listen to them quite happily.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Overplayed and overhyped, but not overrated. Not in any way.

Damn kids.

I don't know how anyone can dislike The Beatles. I like almost everything they've done, but they're so diverse that almost anyone should be able to listen to them quite happily.

I completely agree with both of these statements.

mbqyk3.gif