Ohh mad. so you're going for 99?

ford_landau

Geez, that's quite a negative attitude. Why bother raising any moneymaking skills if someone can just get a 3a item from a treasure trail and laugh at your efforts?

Probably the best quote I've heard of in a while. Pretty much sums up why I want to have the best possible stats when I do something e.g. boss hunting/PKing.

It's been a hell of a ride.

2002-2013

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true, achievement capes have completely changed the gameplay. I remember being shocked by the first "which achievement cape is better" discussions, heavily defending the "are you guys crazy, you're running down a 99 when x time ago it wouldn't even have entered your mind to get any 99".

A few years later, I'm close to getting my 15th 99 and I've got the next 4/5 already planned out. I started aiming for 99 slayer one day, because I like the skill so much and then all the other 99's sort of followed. Maxed out the combat skills, started rediscovering some of my other favourite skills from before slayer... I hesitate to say it's all because of the capes, because when you've been playing for a few years, it's natural that your goals will get more ambitious, but I'm sure that the capes did contribute to the general change of mind and goals of the community, and consequently, mine.

I have to admit that when I now meet a player with a fletch/cook cape, I'm not too impressed: I don't really value the achievement anymore. However, I felt from the start, and I am still of the opinion that getting 99's just to have a (trimmed) achievement cape, but actually not enjoying the process and therefore choosing the (two) fastest cape(s) is extremely silly.

I don't think peoples attitudes changed for working for a 99 from pre capes to after capes. Just people started to do it faster than before. I had around 94 WC when skill capes were in the monthly update list. I just carried on to get it. I got it a few months after they came out. I know many people who had 99s before, even then Fletch and Cook were most common for non combat. But there were many other combat 99s. Due to slayer and pc. So I just thing more people decided to get them faster instead of people wanting them. They were wanted before.

Jersey_Jords.png

Jersey_Jords.png

Most of the time, people want a 99 for the sake of a skill cape, which usually isn't much fun.

I haven't really set myself to go for a specific 99 yet. I'll probably go for Firemaking, since after 99 I can just leave it alone and bank my logs from then on.

If I really were going to get all 99's F2P, this is my order of which I will accomplish:

1) Firemaking

2) Cooking

3) Fishing

4) Woodcutting

5) Mining

6) Runecrafting

7) Magic

8) Smithing

9) Crafting

10) Ranged

11) Attack

12) Strength

13) Defence

14) Hitpoints

15) Prayer

Notice I start with the fastest ones first, then my favorite ones, and finally the ones that I don't really enjoy.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I find I have your opinion as well. It bothers me that everyone's goal is simply to get 99 in a skill, even though the costs to get it are outragous. Personally, I have over fifteen million experience in fishing because I enjoy the skill, and I got 99 fletching as a goal to prove to myself that I could get one and it was profitable. My latest goal has been to get all my skills above level 80. I find this goal much more challenging than any 99 that I have ever gone for or that I've heard other people reminisce about.

On the topic of Achievement Capes, does anyone else have a problem with people doing quests just to keep their cape? I remember setting a goal to complete all the quests because I thoroughly enjoyed them, the cape was just a perk.

Xyxyl.png

I'm going for 99 magic (92 right now) but I don't know if I'll every reach it. The amount of experience required for a 99 is just overwhelming to me.

With that being said, it's not possible to get a 99 playing casually. But it never was. Unless you plan on doing it over the next 1-2 years. :)

FairTraders.net (Merchant Guides + Grand Exchange Update Notifier)

Get FREE Grand Exchange updates through the website, by email, or through your mobile device!

ftsig.png

Rat meat, good luck.

I'm 960K to 99 Cooking. :P

TBH, once I started Cooking at level 60, I couldn't stop, so I had to get 99. ;)

;;;;:::.... ¸**¸ .. ¸**¸**,¸¸¸,* ©ÿ hê õå *,¸¸¸,**¸**¸ .. ¸**¸ ....::::;;;;

¸**¸ ..::;;; *¸ *,¸¸,* . ,¸¸¸,* ./¥\àêr õ árçâm *,¸¸¸, . *,¸¸,* .¸* ;;;::.. ¸**¸

*,¸¸,* .. *¸ ..::;;; *¸ **¸ .. Mäý hê õåêr ôvêñ bë wïh ÿõµ .. ¸** ¸* ;;;::.. ¸* .. *,¸¸,*

;;;;;;:::::..... *,¸¸, *,¸¸¸, *,¸¸¸,**,¸Gô îñ Þéàçê ¸,**,¸¸,* .,¸¸,* .,¸¸,* ......:::::;;;;;;

This signature was made on the RuneScape forums by me, Cy The Toast.

I'm going for 99 magic (92 right now) but I don't know if I'll every reach it. The amount of experience required for a 99 is just overwhelming to me.

With that being said, it's not possible to get a 99 playing casually. But it never was. Unless you plan on doing it over the next 1-2 years. :)

If you keep playing, the exp adds up, so it is possible. ;)

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

The only 99 I can think of that can be attained "easily" through casual play would have to be farming. You can just farm things that take a while to grow, so you only need to log in once or twice a day.

Right now I am going for 99 magic, I was at level 68 two weeks ago, so I'll hopefully reach my goal in 2-3 weeks.

45,657th to 99 Range 29/09/09 , 41,018th to 99 Mage 13/11/09

rangecapecombined.gif__________________magiccapecombined.gif

I agree with you 110% on this, as I have questioned the same thing.

Ever since Skill capes were released, everybody wants one.

99 never used to be THAT common of a goal, of course it was a goal, but most people at the time set goals to achieve higher levels in a variety of skills or build up as much money as possible. Thats why you see every third person with a cooking skill cape, just so they can claim they have a 99. You don't want to feel left out, also there seems to be a degree of respect that comes with the skill capes too...

kwatsv-1.jpg

Thanks to LowFatMilk for the sig

The only 99 I can think of that can be attained "easily" through casual play would have to be farming. You can just farm things that take a while to grow, so you only need to log in once or twice a day.

Right now I am going for 99 magic, I was at level 68 two weeks ago, so I'll hopefully reach my goal in 2-3 weeks.

It's easier to farm than it is not to farm. :razz:

2dvjurb.png

I only have two 99s:

Woodcutting

- I just WCed lots. I started going for 99 when I was 88wc, and eventually got there. I did not powercut teaks, at all. I did a bit of willows, but mostly yews. I did it in free to play too, gaining some money. It was hell crowded though.

I'm a bit annoyed now that you can cut Ivy without having to drop anything... botting 99 wc must be easy now -.-

Range

- I love range. I chinned a couple of levels, but after that thought 'Nah, I'd rather finish off range doing it properly', and so I went back to the ol' broad bolting Mutated Velds.

Both of these skills actually got me quite a bit of my homework done, since they are quite multi-taskable ones :D

You are me in a couple months

I am working on woodcutting and range while doing homework or whenever i watch tv or movies

I love range, and i love afk training, if not for ivy i would have a much lower wc (i know its 84 atm, shut up :P )

I am woodcutting for cash to train range with chins instead of ranging drags or bloodvelds or yaks (shooting yaks bugs me for some reason...)

Diomedus.png

Diomedus.png

War is not about who's right, it's about who's left

I dissagree, 99 attack or strength, or even health can come quite easilly.

cooking is still a useful skill at 99, unlike say FLETCHING where you need 85. You don't snap a bow at a lower rate in the 90s, you burn less fish im not sure when but the higher the better

Diomedus.png

Diomedus.png

War is not about who's right, it's about who's left

The reason you don't see many people with 95 cons is that there's not much point in training it past level 72 for a gilded altar (and you can make that at well under level 72 with boosts). Anyone training it into the 90s is presumably there for the full journey, because there is unquestionably much more pleasure in completing the skill and getting the cape than in training it to level 95 and then stopping.

The reason you don't see many people with 95 cons is that there's not much point in training it past level 72 for a gilded altar (and you can make that at well under level 72 with boosts). Anyone training it into the 90s is presumably there for the full journey, because there is unquestionably much more pleasure in completing the skill and getting the cape than in training it to level 95 and then stopping.

When I went for 99 con, I was thinking why didn't I gain basically any ranks between levels 90 and 99 but after 99 I'd gain hundreds with almost no xp gained at all. Basically here's the summary:

* Construction is dirty fast to train. Once you have the materials, it takes from some days (I personally did over 4m xp in one day and didn't definitely even play THAT much) to get to 99. It also can't really be done passively: if you fish, you can just go to the spot and fish for an hour. If we compare this to herblore (which many see as quite similar), the main difference is that you can (and many do) use herbs you get from training melee skills or farming. This adds in "passive" xp which is mainly gained slowly from other activities. If you train construction in any efficent way, you will most likely work on resources (=no xp gained) for some days/weeks/months and then boom the skill up once you're done.

* 99 Con is basically a status thing. You don't get to it because it's helpful or profitable. This means that if people are going for high lvl construction, they will boom their way to 99. It also has a lot less meaning than most of the other buyables. This means that people just don't aim for "95" or "90", it's either 99 or a lot lower.

* People with 99 construction are generally really wealthy or even rich due the fact that it's usually one of the last buyables (and please, don't say that player X had 99 con and 1 other skills :P The magic word is average) to be maxed and the ones who can buy it, usually just buy it.

If we mean under 1h per day with "casual", then you're right. However combat skills can be trained through methods that don't really require you to actively train them. Things such as boss hunting easily add up in XP and in a long run mean level ups, even if your meant gameplay isn't to max them. I personally gained some mils of "passive" magic xp from Dagannoth kings for example: I Wasn't there to train magic, but the xp came from other things. Same goes with Godwards or such too: you don't range armadyl to get you XP, but you get XP from killing it and getting the kill count.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

Read the first page then skipped to the 5th..

For the most part, it's that people have ingrained into their heads that to get the max level is to "beat" the skill. For most games, you just play along, beat the main quest, then quit, there's a stopping point. Seeing as you can't have skills go on forever, 99 was implemented as a "stopping point" at which people could be done and start focusing on a different aspect of the game. True, it wasn't as big of a concern to get 99 before skill capes, but that's just an added bonus.

Another big reason would be that nowadays, maxing your total level just doesn't seem as impossible as it used to be. Because of that, more and more people are setting that as their goal, and getthe mindset of "I'll have to get this to 99 eventually, so why not just do it all in one go?" and train all the way to 99 instead of stopping at a lesser number

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

I originally wanted two 99s just for the +4 prayer bonus, not to show off the cape itself, and to have a cape that I could use in situations where firecape was too risking to use (corp). Once I got QP cape I stopped for a while, after Ardy cloak 3 was released I didn't care about getting a 99 at all. Now I'm just getting attack/strength for their usefulness in combat, instead of just for the cape

After reading the rarest 99's thread, I decided my first 99 will be Runecrafting. It's also my favorite skill, coincidentally.

I won't be going for it until I get more cash, and gain more levels though.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog