The Official PS3 Thread

Sam

Awesome :)

May I add you to the PSN list?

Fine with me.

The only game I have is Battlefield 1943, though. There is a blizzard going on where I live and I'm stuck at my house. Probably won't get any new games until Monday.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm trying to think of the must have exclusives for PS3, mostly just trying to decide if I really want the system or not. I can think of:

Killzone 2

Little Big Planet

Uncharted 1 + 2

Fl0w

Fl0wer

inFAMEOUS

Ratchet and Clank.

Resistance 1+2

Don't want MGS4 so not putting it on a list. Anything else I'm forgetting, including both retail games and the PSN. I know about the betas going on (MAG, Bad company 2) which are interesting too.

So I'm trying to think of the must have exclusives for PS3, mostly just trying to decide if I really want the system or not. I can think of:

Killzone 2

Little Big Planet

Uncharted 1 + 2

Fl0w

Fl0wer

inFAMEOUS

Ratchet and Clank.

Resistance 1+2

Don't want MGS4 so not putting it on a list. Anything else I'm forgetting, including both retail games and the PSN. I know about the betas going on (MAG, Bad company 2) which are interesting too.

PSN:

Crash Commando

Fat Princess

Any Pixeljunk game

Warhawk

Wipeout HD

Burn Zombie Burn

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars

Bluray:

Valkyria Chronicles

Motorstorm 2

Heavenly Sword

There's probably more that I can't think of, but that's something to think about.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

The beta has finished, unfortunately.

I have some games to recommend, Nadril;

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Street Fighter IV

You got those from what I got for Xmas didn't you? :rolleyes:

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

I can only think of Demon's Souls to add on your list. Maybe check out Heavenly Sword? It's short but sweet. Not a lot of great exlusive games this year but 2010 looks like it's gonna be a good one.

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

Got PS3 for Christmas ^_^ And guess what - more questions for everyone :thumbsup:

Basically, I need to control chat settings for online play. My mom is (probably right to be) paranoid about the internet, and I need to ease her mind. And I hate selective people. So, how can I mute certain people, and how can I regulate my younger bro's chat (again for my mother)? The only game I have online right now is FIFA 10.

Thanks.... again!

I'm debating buying a PS3 vs a 360. On the pro, it has Soul Calibur 4, God of War 3, Ratchet and Clank, reliability, and free online.

But for the 360, there's:

cheaper, 4 controllers, Halo, Gears of War, and popularity

Are there any major down sides to a PS3 that I should know about before I make the final call?

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I'm debating buying a PS3 vs a 360. On the pro, it has Soul Calibur 4, God of War 3, Ratchet and Clank, reliability, and free online.

Are there any major down sides to a PS3 that I should know about before I make the final call?

Xbox 360 is the current best console on the market, from a pure gaming standpoint. Aka, instant gratification. The ps3 however, will EASILY overtake the Xbox360 by March next year. It has it's exclusives popping out all through the next 5 months. God of War 3, Star Ocean 4, FFXIII, BF: Bad company 2... It's gunna be the year of the Playstation. The issue is whether or not you can wait really. If you want in for the long haul, I'd advise a Ps3. If you want instant gratification, Xbox. The Playstation, in my experience, is more for slash n hack games, RPG's etc. The Xbox appears to be more set up for the FPS. But MW2 is on Ps3, and that is really all you need for a FPS. Plus with BF:BC2 out next March... Well, Just go with a ps3. The only thing so far the xbox wins at is selection, which it won't be king of for long, and also for it's better online chat. I don't like to use my ps3 to chat to people, and I don't game much with friends, as they all have xbox's, so I can't comment on that. Also, the Xbox has major manufacturing faults, I believe the saying is "It's not IF it will break, it's WHEN."

Also, my PSN is Jaysues, feel free to add me to the PSN list. I currently play MW2, COD4, and Resistance 2, although I am getting Star Ocean 4, Demon's Soul, and FFXIII when they come out/when I can be bothered.

oversized.jpg[/bads]

I got a Ps3 for Christmas and instead of my Dad and Stepmom buying us games right out they gave us money to pick out two that we wanted. We're going to the store tomorrow and I'm most likely getting LBP and Uncharted 2. I also got enough money for a few games later, but right now that's what I'm getting. My PSN is Aviansie-, I had to put the dash because someone else had Aviansie (my XBL name) but don't add me to the list yet just incase I make another account f I don't like the name.

[hide=99s]47,297th to 99 Attack, 12/10/08
47,898th to 99 Hitpoints, 3/29/09
78,286th to 99 Strength, 4/5/09
36,125th to 99 Range, 6/7/09, 12:30 in the morning.
70,280th to 99 Defence, 4/16/10
67,781st to 99 Magic, 8/13/10
Somethingth to 99 Slayer on some day during the Summer (I forgot to write it down)
169,099th to 99 Cooking , 4/9/11
Idk what to 99 fm at some point
Idk what to 99 prayer on 1/28/2012

?? 99 thieving 12/30/2015

?? 99 herblore 1/2/2016, ?? 99 dungeoneering 9/5/2016[/hide]

s2k10n.png

Even if it's a dumb story, telling it changes other people just the slightest little bit, just as living the story changes me. An infinitesimal change. And that infinitesimal change ripples outward-ever smaller but everlasting. I will get forgotten, but the stories will last. And so we all matter-maybe less than a lot, but always more than none.

-John Green (An Abundance of Katherines)

Unless you're really wanting Halo/GoW I personally think the PS3 is a stronger choice now. A year ago I would have said 360 and just laughed at the idea of paying for a PS3, but now that they are just $300, have an incredibly strong library and are getting a ton of great games next year -- go for PS3 I'd say.

I've made up my mind and I think I'm going to go buy one tomorrow. Hopefully I can find a cool bundle deal, plus I know gamestop has an uncharted 2 deal -- uncharted 2 + controller for $60.

Got my PS3 last Wednesday or Tuesday. Can't remember.

I got Uncharted 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4 as my first two games.

The PS3, in my time with it, has been more fun than my 360 (Which died on me, it randomly freezes up because of hard drive problems. It seems every person I know who owns a 360 has had problems with theirs glitching or the red ring of death). The menu screen isn't as vibrant and exciting as the 360's, but it has a lot less crap to sift through.

I tried Home first, just because I heard it was fun. I totally hated it. I created a white guy with a purple afro in a wife beater and gangsta style pants and decided to walk around. There were people trying to hook up over it, it just seemed like some kind of giant internet orgy. It was terrible. I quit soon afterwards.

So I played MGS4 first. It's pretty good, feels a lot more balanced than the previous ones, but all the same I haven't been too enthralled with the story, it kind of slogs along and doesn't seem to get anywhere. I haven't even fought a weird boss in the first four hours, so I am pretty pissed. I haven't tried Metal Gear Online because my last time playing an online Metal Gear game (The PSP Metal Gear: Portable Ops) I had no fun at all.

I rented Batman: Arkham Asylum. It was decent enough, but I didn't think it worthy of all the praise it got. It was short and I felt rather bored half the time, it wasn't that much fun. The mini-bosses were all the same, which made me feel a bit ripped off. Most of the stealth sections were forced (Don't get caught or innocent bystander dies). The part in the sewer when you were running from Croc went on for freaking ever, I felt it would never end. The final boss was a huge let down as well, Joker was as easier than the bloody minibosses! The only part I truly enjoyed were the psychological parts with Scarecrow. Those were brilliant.

Uncharted 2 is great. The campaign does have it's truly cinematic moments, but once you hit the halfway mark they are spread out fairly far apart. The level where you run across the train felt much, much harder then any of the other levels, I guess the bad guys were amped up a bit, because getting over the difficulty curve was a bit of a challenge to me.

Nonetheless, all the unlockables are great and the multiplayer is bloody fantastic. I enjoy it more than Halo 3 personally, and I spent hours upon hours on Halo 3.

Just wanted to say though, that the PSN seems just as good as Live. Live does offer more crap, but who the hell cares about the Netflix and that stuff? I paid for Live to play on online, as does every other user. PSN is just as good. I did notice so many idiots on the PSN though. Most people I played with who used a mic were using it to be an idiot. At least Live had a couple decent players. But then again, Live was one of those places where you are either an immature eight year old or so hardcore you eat nails for breakfast.

I personally am enjoying the PS3. People can note I did bash it for quite a while for its hefty price, it's lack of first party titles, and it's overall failing to meet the Xbox and Wii in sales. But, I think most of my arguments are wronged when we look at the fact that the PS3's first party titles are generally much better reviewed and are much bulkier games than those of the Xbox360.

Anybody up for some Uncharted multiplayer, my PSN is (RAT)Newge4

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

Basically, I need to control chat settings for online play. My mom is (probably right to be) paranoid about the internet, and I need to ease her mind. And I hate selective people. So, how can I mute certain people, and how can I regulate my younger bro's chat (again for my mother)?

If the game is online & headset capable, there will be an option to mute someone's headset. You can block people who are spamming PM's to you too. If you want to regulate what your younger siblings go on, go to settings > Security Settings. It's pretty self explanatory from there.

But to be honest, the people you meet online on the PS3 are a bit more mature and reserved.

Added the latest PSN's, too.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

I don't understand the "4 controllers" part of your post, are you saying the PS3 can't have 4 controllers? Because it can just as easily as the 360.

Xbox 360 is the current best console on the market, from a pure gaming standpoint. Aka, instant gratification. The ps3 however, will EASILY overtake the Xbox360 by March next year. It has it's exclusives popping out all through the next 5 months. God of War 3, Star Ocean 4, FFXIII, BF: Bad company 2... It's gunna be the year of the Playstation. The issue is whether or not you can wait really. If you want in for the long haul, I'd advise a Ps3. If you want instant gratification, Xbox. The Playstation, in my experience, is more for slash n hack games, RPG's etc. The Xbox appears to be more set up for the FPS. But MW2 is on Ps3, and that is really all you need for a FPS. Plus with BF:BC2 out next March... Well, Just go with a ps3. The only thing so far the xbox wins at is selection, which it won't be king of for long, and also for it's better online chat. I don't like to use my ps3 to chat to people, and I don't game much with friends, as they all have xbox's, so I can't comment on that. Also, the Xbox has major manufacturing faults, I believe the saying is "It's not IF it will break, it's WHEN."

If you really want to play FPS then you should be doing that on your PC, not a console.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

What do you mean by four controllers? The PS3 can have up to seven connected at any one time.

And the Xbox is only cheaper if you use wired internet, want to buy new batteries every time your controller runs out, and you want to play online.

Wireless Adaptor - £30

Play and Charge kit - £10 per controller

Online - £40/year

Xbox 360 Elite - £190

Total (if you have 2 controllers) - £240 + £40 for every year you have it online, so let's say 3 years. That's £120 extra, bringing it to £360 for the console, some basic accessories (that come built in to the PS3), and online (which is free for the PS3).

PS3 (which includes all of the above as standard) - £250

So, in reality, the Xbox is actually more expensive.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Yeah, I'm def going with the PS3 in that case(s). Thanks for the input guys :)

I wasn't aware that the PS3 could support 7 controllers (why would want that many is my question). By 4 controllers, I meant more ports for more people, but I guess a multi tap could solve that issue if it arises.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I wasn't aware that the PS3 could support 7 controllers (why would want that many is my question). By 4 controllers, I meant more ports for more people, but I guess a multi tap could solve that issue if it arises.

The 360 I saw also only had 2 USB ports also, but I wasn't looking too hard so maybe not. My friend only had two power cords anyways.

EDIT: According to wikipedia they do have 4 USB ports. It doesn't matter with the PS3 anyways since you should be using wireless controllers, and the third party ones are generally AA battery powered.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

The 360 I saw also only had 2 USB ports also, but I wasn't looking too hard so maybe not. My friend only had two power cords anyways.

IIRC it has 2 front ports and then a back one. (maybe 2, I dunno).