Unjustified censorship!

Romy

The whole idea I'm revolving around, is that the fact people use these words in an inappropriate manner, is what creates censors and insults.

It's a sad thing, but it's also human nature. If we cannot physically lash out, we emotionally lash out. We'll say whatever will cut the deepest.

Yet this isn't exclusive to Runescape--this is part and parcel of the human condition. Seems like, when we get right down to the nitty-gritty of this topic and its relevancy to runescape, it's about removing the censor in hopes that awareness and information (which wouldn't happen through the game itself anyway, these are purely things accomplished outside of a videogame) will eventually erode away at bad-language useage. Which we know won't happen, not fully anyway. Why? Because people are slimy, nasty little gits.

This game's purpose is to convey a medieval/fantasy scenario for a passing amusement; there is no substitution for real education, genuine tolerance. Would you put a person in charge of a nuclear power plant without instructing him of its uses?

hzvjpwS.gif

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh? Then why isn't 'straight' censored? It DOES 'center around the discussion of SEX', why not censor it?

Are you really serious...

Ofcourse, if gay is censored because it 'centers around the discussion of sex', why shouldn't 'straight'?

Oh? Then why isn't 'straight' censored? It DOES 'center around the discussion of SEX', why not censor it?

Ofcourse, if gay is censored because it 'centers around the discussion of sex', why shouldn't 'straight'?

.. Because "straight" actually has a use besides describing sexuality.. Such as.. you can say, "After I farm this patch im going to teleport straight to Fally". Its primary use as a word does not focus around "SEX".

EDIT: Yes, gay can refer to a non-sexual definiation but the majority of the time it is not used that way. The term straight is used as a non-sexual term the majority of the time it is used. Thats the difference.

dawnsigblue-3.png

.. Because "straight" actually has a use besides describing sexuality.. Such as.. you can say, "After I farm this patch im going to teleport straight to Fally". Its primary use as a word does not focus around "SEX".

EDIT: Yes, gay can refer to a non-sexual definiation but the majority of the time it is not used that way. The term straight is used as a non-sexual term the majority of the time it is used. Thats the difference.

If that is true, then why is "screw" censored? It has nothing to do with sex, and yet it is censored in-game.

Truth is, no word should be censored. We all know what they are, and we wouldn't care if somebody said it anyway. Sexual references are perfectly normal, and are always used in everyday life. That's why fads like "That's what she said!" was invented.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Well, people are phisically DYING because of that! They're taking their own lives because they think their faith is at least as terrible as death, instead of seeing it something natural and NOT unique. This is something not to be taken lightly at all

1. Not unique? Maybe you should look up the definition of that word.

2. Killing theirselves over it? If that's not natural section I don't know what is

I think you're exadurating, you state things like that like it's the 1960's. Homosexuals are accepted in society by almost everyone and have exactly the same rights (except for marriage in some states but let's not go there).

I do agree about the censorship though, I've always found it ridiculous why those words are censored.

99 Slayer since August 2007.

Well, people are phisically DYING because of that! They're taking their own lives because they think their faith is at least as terrible as death, instead of seeing it something natural and NOT unique. This is something not to be taken lightly at all

1. Not unique? Maybe you should look up the definition of that word.

2. Killing theirselves over it? If that's not natural section I don't know what is

I think you're exadurating, you state things like that like it's the 1960's. Homosexuals are accepted in society by almost everyone and have exactly the same rights (except for marriage in some states but let's not go there).

I do agree about the censorship though, I've always found it ridiculous why those words are censored.

Nope, it exists to these days. I had to do some researth for school, and gays do suicide because they're afraid of it, it's a proven fact. Other than that, gays are murdered these days just for being different (the last time it happend in the US was 10 years ago, however, 2 months ago it also happend in Israel. I had not looked into other countries.)

As for the 'unique', I believe that in the future (the long future...) we could expect to see it as something as normal as being chinese or as being a shoe salesman.

Guys remember this thread is not for the discussing opinions on homosexuality, it's opinions on the Runescape filter and those certain words. Please remember to keep strictly on that topic.

I personally don't really see the need to use them on Runescape. Any prejudices against homosexuals aren't going to be changed by an MMO like Runescape. I think it's right to stop people using words like gay as an insult, since it's painfully obvious the general Runescape community isn't mature enough for it.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Guys remember this thread is not for the discussing opinions on homosexuality, it's opinions on the Runescape filter and those certain words. Please remember to keep strictly on that topic.

I personally don't really see the need to use them on Runescape. Any prejudices against homosexuals aren't going to be changed by an MMO like Runescape. I think it's right to stop people using words like gay as an insult, since it's painfully obvious the general Runescape community isn't mature enough for it.

As I had already stated about a million times in this thread, I'm not trying to revolutionize the world through 1 game. I believe that if this game, along with others, and along with communities in and outside of the Internet, would make such a change in their language, we could expect to change the world-view of many.

In addition, the bare fact that you must 'stop' players from using it (through censorship) is one of the problems I'm looking to eventualy solve. You see, the fact that you have to censor these words, as if they were swear-words, is very sad. I know uncensoring them would not magicly make everything good and beautiful, but for a change to be made, we must begin somewhere. Currently in my school, some sort of mini-revolution is happening. After a very touching speech I gave to about half of it, along with most school staff, students in my school stopped using these words as insults- and are even more aware of the situation. If 1 student could change a whole school (or atleast most of it), I believe we could even have this change anywhere and everywhere else.

censorship should be controllable by the players. if i want to censor, then i click on 'plz censor what i see'. but i think all chat should be visible to everybody if they choose it.

Rich_Luke1_.png

Actually, it's not just those words that are censored. Words like "screw" and even "google" that are perfectly normal are censored as well.

"Google" is uncensored.

[hide=Quotes]

.. Because "straight" actually has a use besides describing sexuality.. Such as.. you can say, "After I farm this patch im going to teleport straight to Fally". Its primary use as a word does not focus around "SEX".[/hide]

If that is true, then why is "screw" censored? It has nothing to do with sex, and yet it is censored in-game.

Truth is, no word should be censored. We all know what they are, and we wouldn't care if somebody said it anyway. Sexual references are perfectly normal, and are always used in everyday life. That's why fads like "That's what she said!" was invented.

"Screw" is a pretty bad example to use. As it's commonly used, as slang, to have sexual intercourse.

I can't think of many examples, in RuneScape, where one would need to use "Screw" in a sentance?

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Actually, it's not just those words that are censored. Words like "screw" and even "google" that are perfectly normal are censored as well.

"Google" is uncensored.

[hide=Quotes]

.. Because "straight" actually has a use besides describing sexuality.. Such as.. you can say, "After I farm this patch im going to teleport straight to Fally". Its primary use as a word does not focus around "SEX".[/hide]

"Screw" is a pretty bad example to use. As it's commonly used, as slang, to have sexual intercourse.

I can't think of many examples, in RuneScape, where one would need to use "Screw" in a sentance?

"Anyone got an iron screw? I dropped the one I needed."

newsigb.png

99 Attack - Done

"Google" is uncensored.

[hide=Quotes]

I'm sure in the event that they add a screw item to runescape, the censor will be reworked to allow the word in certain context; however, there is no screw item. Not even a screwdriver--it's referred to a Turnscrew actually, which isn't censored.

So that's really a moot point. Having the word censored because it has no relevancy nor context to the game itself saves more problems than it creates.

hzvjpwS.gif

"Google" is uncensored.

[hide=Quotes]

I'm sure in the event that they add a screw item to runescape, the censor will be reworked to allow the word in certain context; however, there is no screw item. Not even a screwdriver--it's referred to a Turnscrew actually, which isn't censored.

So that's really a moot point. Having the word censored because it has no relevancy nor context to the game itself saves more problems than it creates.

Indeed, I was expecting someone to use "screw" in the space of "nail", just to try and prove something.

Smellysocks - So true. :thumbup:

RIP Michaelangelopolous

nah, this censorship is justified, in both senses.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

If this i true, please tell me one sentence where gay can be used in runescape.

Seriously, gay people should just stop running around shouting they are gay...

Do I spend my time telling everyone that I love women?

So just shut up with your sexual life and there will be no problems... if a word being censored in a MMO really is a problem at all.

WarBlastoise.png

If Jagex didn't censor the words, the only time they would be used in game would be as an insult (as "newb" is used now). Would that make you feel better?

Agreed. 'Gay' or 'homo' is used as a slang term that means 'someone or something that is bad'. For instance, in real life, if I were to say 'those shoes look really gay', I'd actually be saying 'those shoes look ugly and displeasing to my eye'. If JaGEx uncensored 'gay', 'lesbian' or 'homo' they would be letting the waters of offenses over-run the cup.

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg

By censoring "gay", "homosexual", and "lesbian" Jagex is not being predujice towards any group in any way, but they are saving their staff from millions of reports where that word is used offensively. You're taking offence out of nothing, this is a game where the number one prioriy of Jagex is being efficient with this staff. I'd rather have those words censored and have 10 less people wasting their time in Customer Support sorting out whether a sentence with the word "gay" in it is offensive or not. I'd rather have the salary of those 10 people be spent towards QA people.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

"Google" is uncensored.

[hide=Quotes]

Even though the word is censored, it will be a hindrance to those just normally chatting, clan chatting, and even private chatting. Censors can and will get in the way.

If I were to use "screw", an example would be "Darn, that revenant screwed up my wildy mining.". It has absolutely no sexual reference, and is not offensive as well, therefore it should not be censored. Hell, every word should not be censored, because it's just a word. What harm does it do? Nothing.

Besides, it's not a kid's game, so people will not go crying to their parents and said "some guy on a internet said a bad word!".

Censors, useless. Period.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

Besides, it's not a kid's game, so people will not go crying to their parents and said "some guy on a internet said a bad word!".

Errrm, think of Timmy who got himself on national news because he RWT'ed and got hacked by a clan. Kids will do anything for attention - including whining to their parents.

I think censors are good, there's no need to have to hear any swearing or inappropriate language. They don't get in the way very much any more and while I have nothing against the use of swear words when I'm angry, I'm all for them being censored too. Unfortunately the use of swears is seen far more common in insulting people - which is definitely not appropriate. I just don't want to see gay being thrown around as an insult.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Errrm, think of Timmy who got himself on national news because he RWT'ed and got hacked by a clan. Kids will do anything for attention - including whining to their parents.

I think censors are good, there's no need to have to hear any swearing or inappropriate language. They don't get in the way very much any more and while I have nothing against the use of swear words when I'm angry, I'm all for them being censored too. Unfortunately the use of swears is seen far more common in insulting people - which is definitely not appropriate. I just don't want to see gay being thrown around as an insult.

RWTing is one thing. Swear words and censorship is another.

I do realize that swear words are sometimes used for insulting people. But then again, there's the ignore list, and if you get offended just by some random someone typing an insult, then you're gonna have a hard time dealing with this stuff. By the way, almost no one that I have met on Runescape has made insults to me using swears, so it is actually not that big of a problem.

Then, there's the person that accidentally makes a typo which got the word censored. A WBM (Wanna-Be Mod) sees this, and reports that person. That person who made the typo just got muted for 48 hours.

That's yet another example of why the censor hurts more than helps.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

RWTing is one thing. Swear words and censorship is another.

I do realize that swear words are sometimes used for insulting people. But then again, there's the ignore list, and if you get offended just by some random someone typing an insult, then you're gonna have a hard time dealing with this stuff. By the way, almost no one that I have met on Runescape has made insults to me using swears, so it is actually not that big of a problem.

Then, there's the person that accidentally makes a typo which got the word censored. A WBM (Wanna-Be Mod) sees this, and reports that person. That person who made the typo just got muted for 48 hours.

That's yet another example of why the censor hurts more than helps.

It's true there's the ignore list, but some people are sensitive and will still be hurt if someone calls them a bleeping bleep bleep. Not many people use swears as insults but they still do - and more would if the censor would allow it.

If a word is censored then there's no foul language is there? You can't report someone under obscene language if the censor has caught it.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg