What did you do today?

Ouchy

• 2 weeks later...

Feel this is the most relevant thread. I've come to the realisation recently that I have been doing the wrong program, as I have noticed shit all gains. I just found the strong lifts program, but I don't really have time to do it at the moment :/

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Starting strength is better than stronglifts, but starting with 5x5 isn't a bad idea to start with rather than 3x5 for beginners. I've been considering making a big weightlifting post lately because of all the bro science I see in this forum.

I've been on and off lifting for a while, so i think it's better if I do 5X5 than 3X5.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

After a gym hiatus since September, I'm back at it. Holy crow it feels amazing to be working out again, and its only been 1.5 weeks since I've restarted.

Yesterday I did chest a triceps, today biceps and back, tomorrow legs abs and shoulders. That's my crude workout plan for now.

hiccup.png

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. Haven't worked out for nearly a month because of rowing. Most of my gains are gone :(

ojdv.jpg

As long as I know, it is better to follow a strict routine to the very end of the session, and then put it all out just before leaving. Then extra stretches and off you go. That way you can also see the improvement easily.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

• 3 weeks later...

I took a break from powerlifting because of an issue with tight hips causing knee pain when I squat heavy. I started focusing more on BJJ and I'm really getting into it. I do it twice a week now and will probably try to make time for conditioning training or muai thai to complement it.

How important is a strict routine? Is it a lot better to have a defined routine, or just kind of feel it out as you go?

Essential. If you just rock up at the gym and do whatever looks good you will get nowhere. Stick to a basic compound lift routine such as starting strength, start with low weights and increase by 2.5kg each session and write everything you do down.

• 3 weeks later...

I've bought Universal real gains protein shake/weight gainer in an attempt to get some better results. Anyone tried stuff like this before?

Since I lost weight I've had trouble gaining weight. I'll take it pre-workout for the next 3-4 months and see how it goes

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

I've bought Universal real gains protein shake/weight gainer in an attempt to get some better results. Anyone tried stuff like this before?

Since I lost weight I've had trouble gaining weight. I'll take it pre-workout for the next 3-4 months and see how it goes

Probably better off saving your money and getting your calories from full cream milk, or just eating more. Figure out your base metabolic rate and what you burn during exercise, what you're currently consuming and then go from there.

I hate milk

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had that problem, seriously, I have to work my behind off just to shed a few kilos! I think you should focus on how much input you need to combat what you are doing. If you aren't taking enough in to satisfy what you need and then some, you will probably keep losing it.

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't posted in here in a while but just thought I'd drop a plug for this programme I've been following for last 8 weeks or so (obviously it's free!): http://www.crossfitfootball.com/

I was reasonably conditioned before (I rowed and did occasional Crossfit workouts), but I think I've massively benefited from the consistency the linear strength progression and heavily weighted circuits. Squat is up to 110kg for 3x5, deadlift at 145kg for 5 reps and bench at 80kg for 3x5 (100kg 1RM) and my power-clean at about 75kg for 5x3. I eat reasonably strict paleo + whole milk and some whey protein post workout. The other nice thing is my metabolic conditioning is still pretty damn good, any met-con workout sub-15 minutes is generally fine for me. When I followed starting strength and stuff in the past I felt strong but not necessarily generally fit, but with this I feel strong, powerful, fit and fast. I add in some Oly lifting (not massively high intensity atm, just building technical proficiency) and some other gymnastic skill stuff for fun.

If anyone has any questions let me know, I've been coached and trained with a guy who's taken the CFF Certification so is pretty clued up with the deal.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Haven't posted in here in a while but just thought I'd drop a plug for this programme I've been following for last 8 weeks or so (obviously it's free!): http://www.crossfitfootball.com/

I was reasonably conditioned before (I rowed and did occasional Crossfit workouts), but I think I've massively benefited from the consistency the linear strength progression and heavily weighted circuits. Squat is up to 110kg for 3x5, deadlift at 145kg for 5 reps and bench at 80kg for 3x5 (100kg 1RM) and my power-clean at about 75kg for 5x3. I eat reasonably strict paleo + whole milk and some whey protein post workout. The other nice thing is my metabolic conditioning is still pretty damn good, any met-con workout sub-15 minutes is generally fine for me. When I followed starting strength and stuff in the past I felt strong but not necessarily generally fit, but with this I feel strong, powerful, fit and fast. I add in some Oly lifting (not massively high intensity atm, just building technical proficiency) and some other gymnastic skill stuff for fun.

If anyone has any questions let me know, I've been coached and trained with a guy who's taken the CFF Certification so is pretty clued up with the deal.

I'm been rather interested in crossfit recently, is it better done in a group setting like at speciality cross fit gyms or can it be done individually at just a regular gym. I ask because I only hear of it being done at special cross fit gyms but it seems like most the exercises can be done anywhere.

tFtfA.jpg

Is the only way to follow it by looking at daily workouts? Seems like an unnecessary hassle and that I'm probably missing something.

Anywho, joining university gym tomorrow. For the past ~2 years Ive been working out nights (earliest 9 pm), so this will be the main difference between gyms. I'll try noting any changes to how well I study, because I know that after a workout at night I'm useless, can't concentrate well and need a bed. I will be alone at this new gym, so having a workout plan like crossfit might motivate me to go more.

hiccup.png

I'm been rather interested in crossfit recently, is it better done in a group setting like at speciality cross fit gyms or can it be done individually at just a regular gym. I ask because I only hear of it being done at special cross fit gyms but it seems like most the exercises can be done anywhere.

I've done it both ways, I'd say in general most people get more benefit doing it in a group setting, having other people doing the same thing is motivating and the trainers can constantly coach your movements so you're more efficient. But I'd say 95% of my training is done alone for practical reasons (no CF gyms where I go to uni), and I still get the benefit. It's also hard to find gyms who program CFF, which is what I'm using at the moment. I think you'll definitely still get the benefit doing it alone, but it might be worth taking some kind of introductory class at a CF gym just to get some free/cheap personal coaching on the movements.

Is the only way to follow it by looking at daily workouts? Seems like an unnecessary hassle and that I'm probably missing something.

I don't think it's a massive hassle, I generally check the workout for the following day before I go to bed (on my phone or whatever) and then just do it, it only takes a few minutes. You could also follow the program a week behind and then know what your workouts are for the whole week. The strength stuff is easy to follow because it doesn't change much, it's only the DWOD that varies much.

Today I did 5 sets of 3 power cleans, 3 sets of 10-12 heavy power shrugs (using explosive hips and not just traps) and then for time:

100 toes to bar and 100 KB swings with 24kg

Sounds reasonable yeah, but my new gym has no bench press/free weight bars (easiest cop-out ever!).

It's actually pretty sad for weight training... the only bench press is one of those bars that's locked into a railing so that you don't hurt yourself or something. Its so much easier that I did twice as many reps as I normally do and I wasn't even tired (bro). And the heaviest free weight dumbbells are 50 lbs :thumbdown: .

The biggest difference: no blaring music!! No music at all! Finally, a gym that understands mp3 players exist!

What I did on my first day back:

-bench press (easy mode railing)

-bench press free weight

-shoulder press free weight

-behind the head triceps free weight

-bicep curls

-abs declined

-leg press machine thing

-15 mins cardio bike

hiccup.png

The bar on those smith machine things is apparently only 10kg. I think it's probably less, like 5. I use smith machines for decline bench though which i find is the only use.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

In my eyes smith machines are only to help improve someones form when doing squats, other then that they don't really have much of a purpose, and from what I've heard they aren't that great on your body.

Went bouldering at an indoor rock gym today. It was pretty fun except my hands were super tense and dry afterwards. Going to be upping my weights this week, haven't done so for a few months, so it's going to be interesting seeing how my body handles it by the end of the week.

tFtfA.jpg

Yeah I could see them useful for improving squat form but even then I'd advise against using one after doing a few sets myself..

Good workout today! Its amazing how much quicker I get stuff done when I'm alone (compared to with 2 friends) but its 9 pm and I'm already exhausted.

For people that normally workout during the day: what do you do in order to keep your energy up after a workout, when you still have half a day ahead of you?

hiccup.png

For people that normally workout during the day: what do you do in order to keep your energy up after a workout, when you still have half a day ahead of you?

You get over it pretty quickly tbh, just have a meal and drink lots of water and it's like normal

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Yeah I could see them useful for improving squat form but even then I'd advise against using one after doing a few sets myself..

Good workout today! Its amazing how much quicker I get stuff done when I'm alone (compared to with 2 friends) but its 9 pm and I'm already exhausted.

Either protein shake or whole milk post workout, and plenty of simple non-refined carbs, preferably starchy but I sometimes eat a banana. Realistically strength stuff taxes me less than intervals or met-con type things, but I think if you refuel properly in that post workout window you should be fine. Admittedly when I used to row at 6am for an hour or so I might sometimes have to take a nap later in the day, but I think that was more sleep loss than anything.