Battlefield Discussion Thread

PoorLepRecon

I'm logged into Steam 24/7 so that's not an issue for me. If the net is down I just switch to offline mode for my single player games.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Kinda jackassery there, Spork. As I said before,

Oh.

Right.

Valve games require Steam.

Okay I no longer have issues with your argument then.

Pirating is still bad though.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

• 3 weeks later...

[hide]

Welcome to the second installment of the Battleblog, a blog series taking you all the way to the launch of Battlefield 3 on October 25th! In this blog series, you’ll learn more about every aspect of our biggest shooter ever. This time out is a look at the classes found in multiplayer with Senior Mulitplayer Designer Alan Kertz.

Here at DICE, we’re very proud of the team play functionality that we have become known and loved for in the Battlefield series, and we’re continuing to embrace that approach for Battlefield 3, but not without a few upgrades for the new game. In Battlefield 3, we’re making sure each of the four playable classes (Assault, Engineer, Support and Recon) are each completely capable of holding their own in combat. While they each have different specialties, each class is a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield.

If you’re that kind of lone wolf player who simply wants to jump in and cook some fools, that’s perfectly fine – we’re making sure each class in Battlefield 3 packs a mean punch on their own, giving you another chance to play it your way. However, we’re also hard at work fine-tuning each class and their unique team play capabilities, so squads in Battlefield 3 will be able to function tightly, giving even more reasons to team play than ever before.

classes.jpg

As mentioned, the four classes available in Battlefield 3 are Assault, Engineer, Support and Recon. All classes include familiar elements, but this time around, we’re tweaking things a bit, bringing something new to our online multiplayer. Our Assault class is still the frontline run and gun class, and considering the havoc and fallen team members someone will see while on the frontlines, the Assault soldier now has medic abilities. That’s right, all the abilities such as medkits and defibrillators typically found on the Medic class are now incorporated into Assault. It makes sense that the class on the frontline will be able to revive fallen team mates, right? Right! Remember, you can play it your way, so if you want to customize your Assault soldier more towards medic abilities or towards serious gunplay, it’s totally up to you.

Engineers are returning in Battlefield 3, bringing back the class in charge of making repairs to the various vehicles on the battlefield. On the other hand, the Engineer is very adept at taking down vehicles as well – this class includes RPGs that can take down armored targets that can’t be destroyed by bullets alone, or even building facades that enemy combatants may be using to take cover. Add the fact that an Engineer’s arsenal includes Carbine weapons, you get an extremely versatile multiplayer class that can truly move like a butterfly and sting like a bee.

The Support class makes its return in Battlefield 3, incorporating the ability to use light machine guns and can lay down heavy fire, allowing him to become a serious mobile weapons platform. “Support has always been about heavy infantry firepower from his LMG,” says Alan Kertz, Senior Multiplayer Designer at DICE. “It’s a role that we’ve wanted to feel different than Assault’s running and gunning.”

This brings us to two new features in Battlefield 3: Bipods and Suppressive Fire. Bipods have a very practical use, especially for LMGs, as they provide a substantial increase in stability while laying down a base of fire. Bipods can be deployed anywhere by zooming in with your LMG when prone, or when standing/kneeling in front of suitable supports, such as a window sill. The stability created by deploying a Bipod gives players a massive boost in accuracy and recoil reduction. You’ll be able to unload an entire clip of 200 bullets from your LMG with great accuracy without even letting go of the trigger, all thanks to the Bipod.

Suppressive Fire is a new in-game mechanic that changes how you can play the game. When you lay down fire in close vicinity to an enemy, the incoming barrage will show up as a graphical blur effect on his screen to stress him and let him know it’s not safe to pop out from behind cover. Just as importantly, this mechanic also affects his character’s in-game firing accuracy, making him less of a threat by using real world tactics. Better yet? You get team play experience points for doing so!

“Supported shooting with Bipods and Suppressive Fire finally allows us to achieve an obvious difference between Assault and Support, since the heavy LMGs are not terribly mobile,” explains Kertz. “When deployed with a Bipod, they become an incredibly powerful force. Suppressive Fire forces the enemy to keep their head down and lets the Support gunner pin his enemies in place so teammates can flank.”

Love him or hate him, Recon is the long range sniper class for Battlefield 3 who excels at gathering intel while on the battlefield. His sniper scope gives this class a distinct view of the battlefield, making Recon particularly suited for spotting enemies as seen in Battlefield: Bad Company 2, ensuring your entire team can see the locations of spotted members of the opposing team. “Recon traditionally has been seen as just a sniper,” Kertz said. “We wanted to change that perception, so we’ve built several completely new teamplay oriented gadgets specifically for the Recon class so he can be a team player, even if he’s sitting on the top of Wookie Mountain.” We’ll talk more about these toys and how they work in a blog post a bit further down the road.

Even though each soldier has a default loadout, they’re there for you to completely customize, making sure you’re able to cater to your own unique style so you can play it your way. We’ll be able to talk more about unlocks, persistence and customization later in the Battleblog series, so stay tuned for more on Battlefield 3 soon!

[/hide]

From the Battlefield 3 blog.

Looking good :thumbup:

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

I like the addition of medic gear to the Assault class, but I'm not too sure how I feel yet about the Suppressive Fire idea :???: I guess I'll just have to weigh in when I buy it!

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

[hide]

Welcome to the second installment of the Battleblog, a blog series taking you all the way to the launch of Battlefield 3 on October 25th! In this blog series, youll learn more about every aspect of our biggest shooter ever. This time out is a look at the classes found in multiplayer with Senior Mulitplayer Designer Alan Kertz.

Here at DICE, were very proud of the team play functionality that we have become known and loved for in the Battlefield series, and were continuing to embrace that approach for Battlefield 3, but not without a few upgrades for the new game. In Battlefield 3, were making sure each of the four playable classes (Assault, Engineer, Support and Recon) are each completely capable of holding their own in combat. While they each have different specialties, each class is a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield.

If youre that kind of lone wolf player who simply wants to jump in and cook some fools, thats perfectly fine were making sure each class in Battlefield 3 packs a mean punch on their own, giving you another chance to play it your way. However, were also hard at work fine-tuning each class and their unique team play capabilities, so squads in Battlefield 3 will be able to function tightly, giving even more reasons to team play than ever before.

classes.jpg

As mentioned, the four classes available in Battlefield 3 are Assault, Engineer, Support and Recon. All classes include familiar elements, but this time around, were tweaking things a bit, bringing something new to our online multiplayer. Our Assault class is still the frontline run and gun class, and considering the havoc and fallen team members someone will see while on the frontlines, the Assault soldier now has medic abilities. Thats right, all the abilities such as medkits and defibrillators typically found on the Medic class are now incorporated into Assault. It makes sense that the class on the frontline will be able to revive fallen team mates, right? Right! Remember, you can play it your way, so if you want to customize your Assault soldier more towards medic abilities or towards serious gunplay, its totally up to you.

Engineers are returning in Battlefield 3, bringing back the class in charge of making repairs to the various vehicles on the battlefield. On the other hand, the Engineer is very adept at taking down vehicles as well this class includes RPGs that can take down armored targets that cant be destroyed by bullets alone, or even building facades that enemy combatants may be using to take cover. Add the fact that an Engineers arsenal includes Carbine weapons, you get an extremely versatile multiplayer class that can truly move like a butterfly and sting like a bee.

The Support class makes its return in Battlefield 3, incorporating the ability to use light machine guns and can lay down heavy fire, allowing him to become a serious mobile weapons platform. Support has always been about heavy infantry firepower from his LMG, says Alan Kertz, Senior Multiplayer Designer at DICE. Its a role that weve wanted to feel different than Assaults running and gunning.

This brings us to two new features in Battlefield 3: Bipods and Suppressive Fire. Bipods have a very practical use, especially for LMGs, as they provide a substantial increase in stability while laying down a base of fire. Bipods can be deployed anywhere by zooming in with your LMG when prone, or when standing/kneeling in front of suitable supports, such as a window sill. The stability created by deploying a Bipod gives players a massive boost in accuracy and recoil reduction. Youll be able to unload an entire clip of 200 bullets from your LMG with great accuracy without even letting go of the trigger, all thanks to the Bipod.

Suppressive Fire is a new in-game mechanic that changes how you can play the game. When you lay down fire in close vicinity to an enemy, the incoming barrage will show up as a graphical blur effect on his screen to stress him and let him know its not safe to pop out from behind cover. Just as importantly, this mechanic also affects his characters in-game firing accuracy, making him less of a threat by using real world tactics. Better yet? You get team play experience points for doing so!

Supported shooting with Bipods and Suppressive Fire finally allows us to achieve an obvious difference between Assault and Support, since the heavy LMGs are not terribly mobile, explains Kertz. When deployed with a Bipod, they become an incredibly powerful force. Suppressive Fire forces the enemy to keep their head down and lets the Support gunner pin his enemies in place so teammates can flank.

Love him or hate him, Recon is the long range sniper class for Battlefield 3 who excels at gathering intel while on the battlefield. His sniper scope gives this class a distinct view of the battlefield, making Recon particularly suited for spotting enemies as seen in Battlefield: Bad Company 2, ensuring your entire team can see the locations of spotted members of the opposing team. Recon traditionally has been seen as just a sniper, Kertz said. We wanted to change that perception, so weve built several completely new teamplay oriented gadgets specifically for the Recon class so he can be a team player, even if hes sitting on the top of Wookie Mountain. Well talk more about these toys and how they work in a blog post a bit further down the road.

Even though each soldier has a default loadout, theyre there for you to completely customize, making sure youre able to cater to your own unique style so you can play it your way. Well be able to talk more about unlocks, persistence and customization later in the Battleblog series, so stay tuned for more on Battlefield 3 soon!

[/hide]

From the Battlefield 3 blog.

Looking good :thumbup:

Nice, it's looking pretty juicy so far. My biggest concern is that hopefully the level selection will be better than 2's.

No mention of what the engineer's new abilities will be. I'm guessing the standard vehicle repair and bonuses.

Vehicle repair, possibly actually BURYING mines, setting up blocking positions (MOVE IT MOVE IT LETS GO!) like razor wire or something (tank traps would seem unlikely...), maybe some form of remote detonation? Could be cool.

I'm a little torn here guys.

Battlefield 1943 or the Vietnam expansion pack?

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

I'm a little lost here. How is any of what they mentioned, save for the supporting fire bit, new in the least? I mean, it's just nabbing classes out of different games in the series. Not that that's a bad thing.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Here at DICE, we’re very proud of the team play functionality that we have become known and loved for in the Battlefield series, and we’re continuing to embrace that approach for Battlefield 3, but not without a few upgrades for the new game.

They aren't going around saying "LOOK AT OUR NEW STUFF!!". They're just using the same stuff that's worked in the past, with a few new things. Don't fix it if it aint broke? Right?

And again, what new things can you bring to the FPS market?

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Support class isn't new, they used it in Battlefield 2142. Also, assualts were medics in the same game. The bipod and suppressive fire thing are new, however.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

I'm a little lost here. How is any of what they mentioned, save for the supporting fire bit, new in the least? I mean, it's just nabbing classes out of different games in the series. Not that that's a bad thing.

Aside from the usual (new weapons, maps etc.)... not too much is new I guess. Bipods will be useful, but I can't see them being used too much due to the vulnerability to snipers they produce. But as H2PM said, as long as they re-use things that have actually WORKED in the past, I don't see much of a problem.

Looking good in my opinion :thumbup:

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

been playing bc2 over the summer, maybe get general of the army before bf3 hits? i dunno

ramblings:

finally got wheels of hazard this morning driving the cav on harvest day

i was using the f2000 on oasis conquest yesterday. it was nice in close quarters but i am still bad with it outside of medium range

i know the spas is the worse stats-wise of the pump actions, but i really like the aesthetics of it

been playing bc2 over the summer, maybe get general of the army before bf3 hits? i dunno

ramblings:

i was using the f2000 on oasis conquest yesterday. it was nice in close quarters but i am still bad with it outside of medium range

i know the spas is the worse stats-wise of the pump actions, but i really like the aesthetics of it

Yeah the F2000 is actually a really horrible gun for anything but close quarters. I used it for a while and was actually really disappointed in it.

ramblings:

Yeah the F2000 is actually a really horrible gun for anything but close quarters. I used it for a while and was actually really disappointed in it.

I don't like it either, but it's deadly when used properly.

Level 28 now, 50 before 10/25/11? Probably not.

PM me for fitocracy invite

ramblings:

I don't like it either, but it's deadly when used properly.

Level 28 now, 50 before 10/25/11? Probably not.

The F2000 really seems like the kind of gun you use when you're in/on the backline just kind of providing cover for those in front. In close quarter combat i think its going to end last to many other weapons.

f2k is good in hardcore

your such a mother [bleep]er. whats with all this bombchu [cabbage]? all everyone who likes this [cabbage] is stupid. ur a [bleep]ing cheater. u did that the wrong way, thats not how to get past the king zora u cheater. u suck and i wont continue watching all ur [cabbage]! videos

he mad?

I've been playing this for a bit, mostly Rush games. It's fun... when I'm not dying half the time. I keep seeing this specialisation called magnum ammunition (or something). How useful is it? Am I disadvantaged without it (because I'm around level 8 or so and I keep getting destroyed by people with the specialisation)?

It gives a slight damage boost. Not much. You're not really at a disadvantage without it.

Don't think so, I don't notice any long-range damage drop off. That said, using Magnum Ammo and 12 Gauge Shells one has approximately the same effective range and stopping power as a sniper on squad maps.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Magnum ammo increase bullet damage by 25%. Body Armor increase player health by 25%. Magnum ammo does NOT increase range or affect bullet drop, but it DOES increase one hit kill range for snipers.

Google Den Kirson battlefield 2 for all the exact stats and info.

PM me for fitocracy invite