Uses for the staff of light

halo475

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

Post ways in which you think or know the staff of light will be useful for. It has many unique abilities so i, and others would like to know how to best utilize them.

Arzian.png

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about this:

Duo ZGWD, both players have the staff, a tort/yak, a unicorn, and restore special pots. The two take turns tanking and using the special, using 1 sip of restore special every 2 kills. Add an ely/divine and you are pretty much invincible.

Wow, now I need to get one.

lalalasig2.png

I'd say it's use could be used somehow with GWDs idk how yet but someone will find a way.

But it will make barrows so much easier its not even funny

15% mage bonus, used with slayer dart, saving runes all good things

Use special on dharok so no prayer needed...

So only 2 brothers 'need' prayer now ( or none if your pro :grin: )

or3zbs.jpg

99s - Attack, Defence, Strength, Hitpoints, Prayer, Magic, Cooking,Slayer,Summoning

Proud Fire Cape Owner!

5500th to summon the amazing Unicorn!

Think about this:

Duo ZGWD, both players have the staff, a tort/yak, a unicorn, and restore special pots. The two take turns tanking and using the special, using 1 sip of restore special every 2 kills. Add an ely/divine and you are pretty much invincible.

Wow, now I need to get one.

No. Staff doesn't hit very high at all, and any GS in a duo at Zammy GWD with stats like that will pwn way more than a staff with mediocre melee stats. Even then, you always melee pray against Kril, so 50% reduction in melee damage is worthless. I'd rather take the random 20's from mage attacks than a 50% reduction in melee attacks, which come out to be common 20's.

Other than that, the staff would pwn for barrows. No need to melee pray against dharok, considering you don't get pwned 25's a lot. Just ancient magic + spec. If dharok attacks you, nothing to worry about. It's also a great staff for maging in general. Other than that... nothing really. It's meant to be a mage staff with some melee properties, not a hardcore melee weapon that you can use in place of everything else that exists.

guido_49.png

@lala

^wow, never thought of that, great idea

and I cant think of a single task that goes by faster maging (unless you thinks sol was made just for slayer where the only mage-affected slayer monsters are Dagganoth Rex and ice Strykewyrms)

It's main purpose would probably be to give mages an actual chance on people using melee in PvP, instead of being able to get 2-spec'd by a dds. How often do you see a mage fight someone someone using melee with nothing but a staff/wand, or even in melee distance? The amount of SOL's in rs are small atm (especially since they can only be killed on task), but soon you might just end up seeing mages in pvp fighting people with GS's in PvP in melee'able distance

No. Staff doesn't hit very high at all, and any GS in a duo at Zammy GWD with stats like that will pwn way more than a staff with mediocre melee stats. Even then, you always melee pray against Kril, so 50% reduction in melee damage is worthless. I'd rather take the random 20's from mage attacks than a 50% reduction in melee attacks, which come out to be common 20's.

The special by K'ril rips through melee pray (and he does it quite often) for a max hit of 49, but only does it while praying against melee, not mage. Making mage attacks hit up to 30s (you should have around +150 mage def), A common spec hits up to 49s (on karils too so you'll take a lot of damage) and a loss in prayer, more ppots used, less food

If you're praying mage and have high def (+350-390 melee def), and using SOL's special, where the max hit is a 23, and a mage attack that always hits 0

tbh the second option sounds better

Edit @ rahzaM: Also no. Melee attacks are common; rage attacks that hit 49 max aren't. When I duo with my friend (both GS), I only get maged by Kril's rage attack once. Occasionally twice. I don't see the purpose of sacrificing huge amounts of accuracy and str in exchange for no rage attacks. Also, melee hits very often and very accurately. Putting on mage prayer would just mean you'd take constant 20's to the face, and for longer periods of time since SOL wont kill Kril' quickly enough.

I don't really see a use for SOL in PvP... If you're a mage, you're better off using ancient magic from far away where melee can't do damage at all. Mage isn't supposed to be used in close range. Also, wasting 50% spec on SOL is stupid. You can easily get a dds and use that for specials instead. The way I see it is the SOL is just meant to be used for maging. It's too slow/weak to be used as a viable melee weapon in place of everything that exists, but it's a great combination of the two. If I ever wanted a melee and mage weapon in one without the risk/inventory space involved in carrying two different weapons, I'd buy the SOL. For now, the only use I can see for it for me is bursting rock lobbys.

guido_49.png

I thought the staff's spec was designed to counter KO from melee. All these high end weapons that came out, taking 3/4 players hit points in the least number of turns possible, a defensive ability or spec like this was due.

Soul split, blood barrage, divine shield, deflect melee curse and SoL spec; pile all you want, you're not gonna kill a mage with melee.

I thought the staff's spec was designed to counter KO from melee. All these high end weapons that came out, taking 3/4 players hit points in the least number of turns possible, a defensive ability or spec like this was due.

Soul split, blood barrage, divine shield, deflect melee curse and SoL spec; pile all you want, you're not gonna kill a mage with melee.

^ This.

But I agree with the people that say that you can still use it as tanking equipment even if you aren't a mage. In safe clan wars / if youre in a warring clan, this spec is the absolute best thing you can have, other than maybe a Divine.

Why?

-- You probably won't get KOed by claw specs

-- You can't get melee piled

-- You get a mage defense bonus

^These are relevant for ANY pvp person, not just magers.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

^ This.

But I agree with the people that say that you can still use it as tanking equipment even if you aren't a mage. In safe clan wars / if youre in a warring clan, this spec is the absolute best thing you can have, other than maybe a Divine.

Why?

The only major setback is that you can't switch off to a better weapon once you use the spec, which is actually a very good idea by Jagex (would've been too OP otherwise). It's still a great special for farcasting in a PvP team, like clan wars or castle wars. I'd say castle wars in the other team's respawn point would be the absolute best place to use this staff. Thinking about this actually makes me want to use it... SOL spec + Blood Barrage + Soul Split + Arcane... *drools* You'd never die, lol. Spec restore pots make this thing even more amazing. In the 1 min the spec lasts, you can sip two doses of spec restore, which equals another spec... Rinse and repeat for ultimate melee defense.

guido_49.png

^ This.

Why?

The only major setback is that you can't switch off to a better weapon once you use the spec, which is actually a very good idea by Jagex (would've been too OP otherwise). It's still a great special for farcasting in a PvP team, like clan wars or castle wars. I'd say castle wars in the other team's respawn point would be the absolute best place to use this staff. Thinking about this actually makes me want to use it... SOL spec + Blood Barrage + Soul Split + Arcane... *drools* You'd never die, lol. Spec restore pots make this thing even more amazing. In the 1 min the spec lasts, you can sip two doses of spec restore, which equals another spec... Rinse and repeat for ultimate melee defense.

Yea spec restore pots don't work that way, it's 25% every 30 seconds. 50% from just pots then 20% from normal restore rate makes you 30% short.

S_I_G.jpg

Those with a little bit of knowledge are more dangerous than those with none.

I would like to re-emphasize the point that SoL is 5speed, not 6speed.

It isn't really a standalone melee weapon. Sure you could use it for melee, but it isn't that good.

I think Jagex designed this well. If it were 6speed, SoL would definitely be OP

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

The SoL is also not as fantastic at corp as people are making it out to be. People forget corp does not tank the same person the entire kill, he switches targets.

I tank corp when I go to masses, using D-hide and protect melee. He usually doesn't hit me much at all, and after about 5-6 hits he switches targets.

The only way the SoL special would be of any use at corp is if everyone on the team was using it. In that case you'd sacrifice ALOT of attack power. Kills would take twice as long and thus twice as much (or more) damage negating the point of using it.

People can TRY to say its useful for other places, but really the staff is designed for 2 things. Slayer and PvP mages. Anything other than that and there is likely a better option available than the staff for that situation, even ZGWD.

The SoL is also not as fantastic at corp as people are making it out to be. People forget corp does not tank the same person the entire kill, he switches targets.

I tank corp when I go to masses, using D-hide and protect melee. He usually doesn't hit me much at all, and after about 5-6 hits he switches targets.

The only way the SoL special would be of any use at corp is if everyone on the team was using it. In that case you'd sacrifice ALOT of attack power. Kills would take twice as long and thus twice as much (or more) damage negating the point of using it.

People can TRY to say its useful for other places, but really the staff is designed for 2 things. Slayer and PvP mages. Anything other than that and there is likely a better option available than the staff for that situation, even ZGWD.

What about soloing rex though as i usually use slayer dart there (i've never done pc and dont plan on doing so)

Lord_Beloved.png

Dragons and corp beast. It has like, 10 less stab then zammy spear and is 1 handed

30 less stab. zammy spear has 85 stab and dspear has 65.

That would be 20.

staff = +55

Dspear = +65

zspear = +85

Well, he said 65, I didn't bother to check it.

namnlskopia.jpg

Dragons and corp beast. It has like, 10 less stab then zammy spear and is 1 handed

30 less stab. zammy spear has 85 stab and dspear has 65.

That would be 20.

staff = +55

Dspear = +65

zspear = +85

Well, he said 65, I didn't bother to check it.

He said D spear was +65, not the SoL. Also, because he pointed out that the staff is one-handed, he's right in that it's only 10 less stab bonus when combined with a rune defender. It would also have +2 strength bonus over the ZS. In general the ZS would still be better, but the spec on the staff makes it very good, I would think, if you've brought down Corp's defense or if you've got to use a dragonfire/anti-dragon shield against the dragons. (I'm not sure how much better it'd be than a Leaf-Bladed Sword in that case, though.)

"All that is gold does not glitter..."