12-Apr-2010 - Dungeoneering Skill!

12pure34

Could we perhaps split this topic in two? Split the arguing chunk and move it to the debate club or suggestions forum. This thread should be discussion of tactics regarding Dungeoneering, not what is wrong with the skill. I came to this topic expecting people to share their strategies, but all I see are flame wars. I don't like digging through all these wordy, senseless posts in an attempt to find some legitimate advise on the skill.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could we perhaps split this topic in two? Split the arguing chunk and move it to the debate club or suggestions forum. This thread should be discussion of tactics regarding Dungeoneering, not what is wrong with the skill. I came to this topic expecting people to share their strategies, but all I see are flame wars. I don't like digging through all these wordy, senseless posts in an attempt to find some legitimate advise on the skill.

I also agree wit this too and it is a good idea. I ask, if you feel like debating the skill/mini-game thing further, I suggest making another topic for it.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

The pattern of your logic is something similiar to "I think/say it's like that [put a random irrelevant fact in here] so it is/should be true. If your opinion is the opposite so it is false" (actually like most of the comments in here (including mine)).

I view that as random illogical bashing.

The only good argument about Dung not being a skill was Qeltar's "It doesn't interact with the rest of RS outside of the dungeons", but considering Construction doesn't interact as well (in that big of degree) the argument is not good enough. Your logical arguments were just "I don't like it, nyeh". (Btw if you can, change your username to Me Hate Everything).

Have a nice day ... old lady (if I am acting like a kid, and you (most likely) act as something older ... don't take it as a personal insult .. IF you think of your self as a more mature person than me .. well you should just ignore my posts .. too late already ? just saying).

Btw considering that I lack at having any interest in linguistics and good feelings towards the human beings your degree in any language not just English and the contribution to society do not make you less of a air waster in my view.

I've parlayed by degree along with certification into that as a librarian. I work with kids on a daily basis and am sure I do more good in this world than you do. Also being a librarian, I've seen many people pkaying Runescape ion the public computers and I've watch the age of players fall to around the age of 12. I'm personally 24, 25 in mid may and am not that old, but as far as maturity goes, compared to you I'm probably around 78.

Yes, Qeltars point about it not interaction is good, and I do understand the point about Construction, is that is still produces something tanigle, even if only cosmetic. It is set aside in it's own little place and I get that too, but you won't find me falling over myself to defend that skill like people are doing for this skill.

My, how civil we've suddenly become.

I don't see anyone critizing Construction, unlike this skill.

And I am going to put you on ignore because as far as I can tell, you offer nothing that I particularly care about or want to read. May I suggest you do the same and shut up about all this?

Well, you are at least as being argumentive as the rest of us for sustaining this debate. It's hardly fair to post your opinion and then expect no one to have any response to it.

They aren't criticizing it, but they're trying to debate our point by pointing out a similarity between Cons and Dung. I admit the point, but don't think it's as important as they think.

I am arumenative, but I wasn't the one who out of no where started referring to person as worthless and attacking them personally. Trust me, I can attack someone personally and really be nasty about it, but it's not my style. I am, and I've said this many times before, a curmudgeon. I'm don't direct it at anybody specifically though.

And thanks Gabe. :)

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I am arumenative, but I wasn't the one who out of no where started referring to person as worthless and attacking them personally. Trust me, I can attack someone personally and really be nasty about it, but it's not my style. I am, and I've said this many times before, a curmudgeon. I'm don't direct it at anybody specifically though.

Ehhhhh, that's streching it a little. You shouldn't be nasty to people you disagree with, regardless of whether you're attacking someone specifically or a group in general. I suppose it's a tad better than a personal attack, but it's still horrible debating and tends to derail threads anyway.

Consider that as a east European philosophy. If you act dumb in the middle of a conversation, the 2nd side tries to prove themselves to be better than you (strange, but it works). It usually happens with becoming more polite, giving better arguments .. this sort of stuff. We "received" the more polite part ... Should we wait for the good arguments for .. 2-3 days ? (because "It's out 11 days ago and it still doesn't integrate at all!" might be a good counter-argument for them, but it doesn't please my troll inner voices =/) (and yes I know I'm ignored, but do I have to care about it o.O (tried to PM it, obv. didn't work rofl).

NB: And since practice > theory, try to flame someone in the middle of a conversation, grab some pop-corn, sit and watch the action. At least in works for me. (you'd be amazed how fast they start to point out the obv.)

Ehhhhh, that's streching it a little. You shouldn't be nasty to people you disagree with, regardless of whether you're attacking someone specifically or a group in general. I suppose it's a tad better than a personal attack, but it's still horrible debating and tends to derail threads anyway.

Well, I don't want to be nasty, so I'm not. That's what I meant. I can be very visceral, but I don't like to be if I can choose not to be. What I gave him was flaming either, at least not to my standards. I merely gave him a light saute. Anyway, he's on ignore and I'm done with him. I don't care where a debate goes, someone attacks me personaly and I'll give them the middle finger and trek onward.

Well, I don't want to be nasty, so I'm not. That's what I meant. I can be very visceral, but I don't like to be if I can choose not to be. What I gave him was flaming either, at least not to my standards. I merely gave him a light saute. Anyway, he's on ignore and I'm done with him. I don't care where a debate goes, someone attacks me personaly and I'll give them the middle finger and trek onward.

Why bother to defend yourself on the internet? Who really cares, at the end of the day? This doesn't just go out to you (like Gabe, I like your style of writing ;)), but to everyone who is bickering with each other in this abortion of a topic. STFU about "whether or not this is a skill" and start talking about how to best train the skill, what kind of strategies you use for bosses, etc; however, if you absolutely must bash the skill, don't just throw out useless comments like "it is not a skill, it is a minigame that sucks and should be removed!" Offer suggestions of what you think they could do to make it BETTER.

td2sig.jpg

I've always said the most damning thing I can think of it's simply not fun for people to do by themselves. Sure floors change and everything, but you're fighting the same things over and over again. Its mind numbing and tedious.

The other skills are too, but least you can AFK or switch windows to relieve yourself of some of the autonomy.

I've always said the most damning thing I can think of it's simply not fun for people to do by themselves. Sure floors change and everything, but you're fighting the same things over and over again. Its mind numbing and tedious.

That's not the case with: Mining, Smithing, Fletching, Cooking, Herblore, Hunter, Fishing, Agility, etc.?

The other skills are too, but least you can AFK or switch windows to relieve yourself of some of the autonomy.

And that's not the case with: Summoning training, Slayer on some tasks, Agility, Construction, etc.?

It is mind numbing and tedious, but most people don't realise it or feel it, me included. Because things are randomly generated it feels like a newish experience each time. It's a handy technique that a lot of games use when they want you to stay in an area. It is also an effective psychological technique.

Thing is, I know this and choose to let the technique work on me because the Arcane Stream Necklace will make 99 magic around 9% faster. A few of the other rewards will be awesome for me, too. Ignorance is bliss, but also stupidity. But if it helps with the tedium, so be it.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

If I train it, it won't be because I find it the most fun skill, but because I want the reward. That is part of why I play RS, to make and get goals. That is what I enjoy. If I wanted to raid, I would have played WoW.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I dont understand why do people suddenly complain when JaGex finally releases a skill that isn't AS MUCH of a grind or boring. Sure, it can get boring after a while when you've raided 20 floors in a row, but it's A LOT

more bearable than many, or dare I say any other skills currently.

I mean, why dont you go complain about crafting, runecrafting and fletching being tedious and boring? Heck, why dont you go complain about all the other skills being boring and tedious. Cause Dungeoneering sure is a lot more bearable to train than almost any other skills.

They use some strange logic like this one: if soccer, basketball, volleyball, handball, baseball, football, tennis are sports and chess is nothing like them ... well chess is not a sport. (you can substitute chess with swimming, racing or anything that doesn't use a ball for the example). And since the chess is not a sport in their opinion they get kind of annoyed since everyone is saying that the chess is in fact a sport.

I've always said the most damning thing I can think of it's simply not fun for ME to do by MYSELF. Sure floors change and everything, but you're fighting the same things over and over again. Its mind numbing and tedious.

Jeeze, what's with you and horrible spelling errors? Seems like you always confuse the general populace with yourself. You're the first person who's found this skill more boring than other skills. Really. The first.

Also, AFKing to relieve the repetitiveness of other skills isn't really called playing the game. I'd rather play the game to actually... Play the game. If I you want to level up without actually playing, then I suggest you open up MS Paint and color in all 99's and get it over with. Would be a lot more efficient, as you're not really playing the game in either case.

Edit: Anyone else notice that the Ring of Kinship is basically a free/fairly quick teleport to a bank? Just thought I'd share.

Ok, I'm here to steer away from this debate for a bit.

Is maple longbow with the sight attached better than the maple shortbow? I just wanna know.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

One of the most damning faults is that you can't do Dung in a lunch break. Once you go down in the hole, you are there for 45 minutes to an hour, if you are thorough and go to each room. I find myself going all over to the place to scrounge for strong antipoisons for Harlaak the Riftsplitter, or hides or any thing else. I literally make one pass through to see what's there, find the boss and decide whether to smith those ores into armor or arrowheads, etc. al.

Any of the true skills in the game, I can pop in for 20 to 30 minutes easy and hit a lick. Not so with Dung. This is yet another feature that makes it more akin to a diversion (a la Fight Caves) than a skill.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

One of the most damning faults is that you can't do Dung in a lunch break. Once you go down in the hole, you are there for 45 minutes to an hour, if you are thorough and go to each room. I find myself going all over to the place to scrounge for strong antipoisons for Harlaak the Riftsplitter, or hides or any thing else. I literally make one pass through to see what's there, find the boss and decide whether to smith those ores into armor or arrowheads, etc. al.

Any of the true skills in the game, I can pop in for 20 to 30 minutes easy and hit a lick. Not so with Dung. This is yet another feature that makes it more akin to a diversion (a la Fight Caves) than a skill.

That's my major beef with Dungeoneering. I love TD's because I can log in, kill for 10 minutes, log out. Dung is basically the opposite. I can only do it if I have 40 minutes to spare for 2-3 raids.

Edit: Pro tip -- go to world 2, make a 5-man, go to 5:5 difficulty, and do a small-sized dungeon. It'll take less than 15 minutes, unless you're doing something horribly wrong (team might suck), and you'll get fast EXP. By far, way better than doing large dungeons at lower levels. The added Base EXP for doing a large doesn't really register at lower levels.

Spelling errors come because I have a degenerative joint issue. I try and go back and correct them, but a few get through.

Yeah, it's not fun to AFK skills either, but at least their tedium is AFKable. This skill is tedious and not, so it's doubly annoying. In a perfect world it would be fresh and not tedious, but in a perfect world I wouldn't be 4'11 either.

Alex, my mistake. I eamt to say that some of them are, but with those, it's far easier to train them and switch things up. Also nice that I don't have to wait for someone to get online to go mining.

And lol, Jeeze, but who the hell are you? You've been here less than a day and you want to come head on at me? Go away.

Spelling errors come because I have a degenerative joint issue. I try and go back and correct them, but a few get through.

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Yeah, it's not fun to AFK skills either, but at least their tedium is AFKable. This skill is tedious and not, so it's doubly annoying. In a perfect world it would be fresh and not tedious, but in a perfect world I wouldn't be 4'11 either.

Alex, my mistake. I eamt to say that some of them are, but with those, it's far easier to train them and switch things up. Also nice that I don't have to wait for someone to get online to go mining.

I'd rather play Dung than AFK, but that's where our opinions split off. In a perfect world, games (in this case, skills), don't stay utterly static in their gameplay and creativity; at least we're moving away from that.

And lol, Jeeze, but who the hell are you? You've been here less than a day and you want to come head on at me? Go away.

I'm a bit more of a familiar face than you'd think, lol.

Can anyone tell me how to change the size of the dungeon from small to medium while soloing?

You can't, unfortunately. Soloers can only do small dungeons.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Can anyone tell me how to change the size of the dungeon from small to medium while soloing?

I hate that part... Even though I'd never use a medium dungeon on solo, it still sucks there isn't an option for that. Maybe there will be at higher floors/levels, but I'd be pissed if there wasn't.

Ah, thanks. I thought I was missing something. I makes sense that soloers can't do the longer ones, Jagex woundn't want to spend the extra server space for a single individual. I also thought it might be a possibility because "medium" doesn't have a big red cancel sign on it like large does at the exp display at the end.

Flyingjj.png