12-Apr-2010 - Dungeoneering Skill!

12pure34

Is it me or the only definition for skill is:

A ) Jagex says it is

B ) (the better one) it has exp. points.

If it has exp and levels - it is a skill. If they add exp and levels to SC it will count as skill obv. Since it doesn't have them - it's not a skill.

Then you better pray that Jagex still has some common sense left. Slayer was pushing it, Dungeoneering is pushing it right to the edge. For all you know Warcrafting might be next.

Sounds kind'a like MA ...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, there's a big difference. They knew MA was a failure before they even put it out. Gonna take a few months before everyone realizes the failure of Dung. ;)

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

BTW, since everyone seems to think I hate Jagex, I'd like to give them big kudos for one nice little feature I just discovered: Shared XP. It's a very elegant and intelligent way of reducing any fighting over resources among teammates.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

No, there's a big difference. They knew MA was a failure before they even put it out. Gonna take a few months before everyone realizes the failure of Dung. ;)

I enjoyed the first scenerio of MA actually. It's fun when you meet someone who knows his/her strategy and wants to win.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

How long is going to take before you realize that you are a failure in other words a waste of perfectly good air molecules ?

Now srsly - if you don't like it ... or let's say 1 to 5% of the players .. made up facts ftw anyways lets continue ... so if you don't like it but 95% of the players do like it and believe me they will continue to like it .. well this means that Dung is no failure what'so'evah

How long is going to take before you realize that you are a failure in other words a waste of perfectly good air molecules ?

Now srsly - if you don't like it ... or let's say 1 to 5% of the players .. made up facts ftw anyways lets continue ... so if you don't like it but 95% of the players do like it and believe me they will continue to like it .. well this means that Dung is no failure what'so'evah

Here's a better idea: if you don't like her posts, put her on ignore. She has as much right to post as you do.

More, in fact, since you keep flaming and she usually doesn't.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Flaming ... I was just stating a fact o.O

AFAISaw her arguments were about disliking certain aspects of the skills, in other words random bashing IMPOV (yes, I am too lazy to write the whole words). If she made more logical posts at least she wouldn't waste the air molecules (I am holding my breath ATM ... wasting them less you know).

So for the last what, 50 pages we have gone in circles, two maybe three people think this skill should be a minigame, one just criticises anything, and the rest like the skill and don't care, so can people not just agree to disagree as this thread is going absolutely nowhere at all.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

God I'm so sick of idiots that have no idea what they're doing...

God I'm so sick of idiots making pointless posts with void comments about something they won;t take the time to post a reason to their rhyme.

Personally the engine upgrades are what amazes me rather than the skill.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

So for the last what, 50 pages we have gone in circles, two maybe three people think this skill should be a minigame, one just criticises anything, and the rest like the skill and don't care, so can people not just agree to disagree as this thread is going absolutely nowhere at all.

No, they can't, these crazy people like arguing too much. ;)

a70c7.png

Calling someone a "failure" and a "waste of air molecules" is not stating a fact, it is flaming.

signew2.png

Once Qeltar began posting some legitimate solutions, the tone of the discussion changed. Arguing about whether it's a mini-game is moot: It is a mini-game. Arguing about whether it's a Runescape skill moot: It is a Runescape skill. It's a part of the game, and you have to utilize the experience point system to improve at it. Now, how can Jagex make it a more enjoyable part of the game? Remove it entirely like IHL seems to say every post? That gets us nowhere. Add some tangible benefits throughout the Runescape game like Qeltar posted? Now we're talking.

It would be cool if higher dungeoneering let's us get more tangible benefits in other dungeons around Runescape. Things that make playing in these dungeons more cool.

50 Dungeon - At the Steel Dragon cave on Karamaja, your character notices that an outcropping of rocks can be used as an Anvil.

70 Dungeon - At the lava pool by the Blue Dragons, your character notices that he can tan dragon hides there.

30 - ?? Dungeon - In certain dungeons, your character notices that there are places where you can plant seeds of various types.

In other words, Dungeoneering is a "skill/mini-game" that is enhanced by being high level in other skills. Likewise, having a high dungeoneering should benefit your other skills in the other dungeons around Runescape. Qeltar really hit the nail on the head with that one.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Here's a better idea: if you don't like her posts, put her on ignore. She has as much right to post as you do.

More, in fact, since you keep flaming and she usually doesn't.

1258324953244.jpg

Ad_Lib's own trolling/flaming doesn't justify counterflames, but reaaaaaaallly.

You train mining by mining ores to get better ores, you train dungeoneering by accessing and completing floors to gain access deeper floors. But don't forget, the concept of mining and miners is a single entity, neither exists without the other. Yet exploring dungeons has been something players did for years. It's not as if Runescape was a flat piece of land, and the birth of this skill adds dungeons along with it, and requires you to talk to a NPC who says "Oh my, we've recently discovered some dungeons, and we need dungeoneers to explore these new lands", and then you start gaining some levels in the easier dungeons before going to the next, as some sort of survival ability skill.

Put it this way, the skill would make more sense if it's call Daemonheiming instead of Dungeoneering. Then players can accept the skill as gaining levels to unlock floors and bosses in Daemonheim.

Sacred Claying, Pest Controlling, Army Mobilising....

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet."

Which one makes sense to you? Coal bags and weapons and scrolls for new prayer, or these?

A real Dungeoneering skill could have easily been incorporated into real RS.

Level 9 - You learn how to enter the Lumbridge caves without a light source.

Level 17 - Gain a +5 Agility capability bonus on dungeon-based obstacles.

Level 23 - Slayer creatures in dungeons can still not be damaged without appropriate gear, but will no longer damage you if you attack them

Level 29 - Protection prayers used in dungeons drain prayer points 10% slower.

Level 35 - Increased chance of gem drops mining in underground areas.

Level 44 - You learn how to bypass the vines in the Brimhaven dungeon without needing an axe

Level 94 - Your expertise in Dungeoneering allows you to open the doors to Waterbirth Dungeon by yourself.

And so on. That's off the top of my head in five minutes. They couldn't have done something much better over the course of two years?

Awesome rewards, actually. But I have to ask about how that would help you become more experienced at the Dungeoneering skill. I thought the benefits had to be recursive as well, according to Qeltar's arguments.

IMO, it's indirect to the point of near meaninglessness -- you start to get into "six degrees of separation" stuff where you can say anything you do is related to anything else. It's also not really that significant. It's a side benefit, a tweak, an improvement to the real skills, just like a quest reward or something from a minigame is.

It's only two, maybe three depending on how you're counting, degrees of seperation for the Gem Bag, but that is irrevelant. A reward's worth should not be measured by however many degrees of seperation, but rather how much of an actual recursive benefit the reward/ability provides. I personally, though this is up for debate, believe that the Gem Bag and most of the other rewards provide a very real benefit to the skills they adress and then recursively back to Dungeoneering. You're right the Gem Bag isn't that significant; it's the first reward available!

I could also argue that the skill of Summoning itself is a side benefit to every other skill, albeit a large one. I could argue that Construction practical values provide nothing but benefits to other skills. This is not exactly a trait limited to Dungeoneering.

The relationship is very weak, and also quite artificial. I find it amusing that I can do a "skill" to get a reward of a gem bag or a coal bag, when there isn't one gem or piece of coal in the entire dungeon.

But there is mining and looting.

God I'm so sick of idiots that have no idea what they're doing...

God I'm so sick of idiots making pointless posts with void comments about something they won;t take the time to post a reason to their rhyme.

Personally the engine upgrades are what amazes me rather than the skill.

I don't think that needed any explaining, and the flame was unwarranted, unless you're one of those idiots that still hasn't learned the rules by floor 20. O wait I don't think you can even go on f20 yet :thumbdown:

The tip.it community used to be so much nicer. I swear you guys can't debate over an issue for one page without it turning into a butt load of personal attacks and flames.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

AFAISaw her arguments were about disliking certain aspects of the skills, in other words random bashing IMPOV (yes, I am too lazy to write the whole words). If she made more logical posts at least she wouldn't waste the air molecules (I am holding my breath ATM ... wasting them less you know).

I'm a waste of air? I have a degree in English and have a job. I contribute to society and work with people, helping more noticably children. Combine that with overcoming a genetic disorder that plagues me every single day.

This in com[parison to you who is like a freshman in highschool that can't wait for the day when he can touch his first booby. The reason why I don't flame people is because I can't get away with it. I have to stay well within the lines because I would otherwise be persecuted to a greater extent than a typical poster who flames someone, often me. Believe me kid, I could flame you to the point that you'd end up flaming, which you probably already are anyway, but that's another matter.

You can disagree with my opinion, but my posts aren't illogical. i simply interpret the facts differently than you do. I don't go out of my way to bicker with people, or denigrate them personally because I don't know them. I have no idea what their personalities are or who they are as a person. If you think you can determine who a person is, let alone what their worth might be, from text on a screen, you are just dumb, you are spectacularly obtuse.

Say what you want about me, but I'm glad that their are a few people, like Qeltar, who aren't a bunch of Jagex myrmidons.

The pattern of your logic is something similiar to "I think/say it's like that [put a random irrelevant fact in here] so it is/should be true. If your opinion is the opposite so it is false" (actually like most of the comments in here (including mine)).

I view that as random illogical bashing.

The only good argument about Dung not being a skill was Qeltar's "It doesn't interact with the rest of RS outside of the dungeons", but considering Construction doesn't interact as well (in that big of degree) the argument is not good enough. Your logical arguments were just "I don't like it, nyeh". (Btw if you can, change your username to Me Hate Everything).

Have a nice day ... old lady (if I am acting like a kid, and you (most likely) act as something older ... don't take it as a personal insult .. IF you think of your self as a more mature person than me .. well you should just ignore my posts .. too late already ? just saying).

Btw considering that I lack at having any interest in linguistics and good feelings towards the human beings your degree in any language not just English and the contribution to society do not make you less of a air waster in my view.

So, uh, remind me of the point of these 100+ pages of arguing?

There is none. It is annoying me now, so any more arguments not about the skill will result in warnings, no matter who you are. Personal attacks of any kind are not warranted.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

In other words, Dungeoneering is a "skill/mini-game" that is enhanced by being high level in other skills. Likewise, having a high dungeoneering should benefit your other skills in the other dungeons around Runescape. Qeltar really hit the nail on the head with that one.

Which is exactly why so many people hate slayer, right? Oh wait. People love slayer. The only thing that makes you better at slayer is outside skills (combats) and the only thing a higher slayer level lets you do is more slayer.

Yeah. Its clear to me. Crystal clear. Nobody enjoys this type of a skill :unsure: :rolleyes:

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

The pattern of your logic is something similiar to "I think/say it's like that [put a random irrelevant fact in here] so it is/should be true. If your opinion is the opposite so it is false" (actually like most of the comments in here (including mine)).

The only good argument about Dung not being a skill was Qeltar's "It doesn't interact with the rest of RS outside of the dungeons", but considering Construction doesn't interact as well (in that big of degree) the argument is not good enough. Your logical arguments were just "I don't like it, nyeh". (Btw if you can, change your username to Me Hate Everything).

Have a nice day ... old lady (if I am acting like a kid, and you (most likely) act as something older ... don't take it as a personal insult .. IF you think of your self as a more mature person than me .. well you should just ignore my posts .. too late already ? just saying).

Btw considering that I lack at having any interest in linguistics and good feelings towards the human beings your degree in any language not just English and the contribution to society do not make you less of a air waster in my view.

I've parlayed by degree along with certification into that as a librarian. I work with kids on a daily basis and am sure I do more good in this world than you do. Also being a librarian, I've seen many people pkaying Runescape ion the public computers and I've watch the age of players fall to around the age of 12. I'm personally 24, 25 in mid may and am not that old, but as far as maturity goes, compared to you I'm probably around 78.

Yes, Qeltars point about it not interaction is good, and I do understand the point about Construction, is that is still produces something tanigle, even if only cosmetic. It is set aside in it's own little place and I get that too, but you won't find me falling over myself to defend that skill like people are doing for this skill.

And I am going to put you on ignore because as far as I can tell, you offer nothing that I particularly care about or want to read. May I suggest you do the same and shut up about all this?

I've parlayed by degree along with certification into that as a librarian. I work with kids on a daily basis and am sure I do more good in this world than you do. Also being a librarian, I've seen many people pkaying Runescape ion the public computers and I've watch the age of players fall to around the age of 12. I'm personally 24, 25 in mid may and am not that old, but as far as maturity goes, compared to you I'm probably around 78.

Yes, Qeltars point about it not interaction is good, and I do understand the point about Construction, is that is still produces something tanigle, even if only cosmetic. It is set aside in it's own little place and I get that too, but you won't find me falling over myself to defend that skill like people are doing for this skill.

My, how civil we've suddenly become.

I don't see anyone critizing Construction, unlike this skill.

And I am going to put you on ignore because as far as I can tell, you offer nothing that I particularly care about or want to read. May I suggest you do the same and shut up about all this?

Well, you are at least as being argumentive as the rest of us for sustaining this debate. It's hardly fair to post your opinion and then expect no one to have any response to it.