Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Style Thread

• Please log in to reply
1938 replies to this topic

Scorcheddd
[ Display Name History ]

Scorcheddd

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 107 posts
------- This thread originally started out with me asking OT a question about dressing classy, but it's basically turned into the style thread so the original post isn't really relevant anymore. Enjoy the nice read though!

The /fa/ guide/FAQ

OP

Maleficus1055
[ Display Name History ]

Maleficus1055

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Armyman19

I've been looking to change my look for a while and was wondering what tips OT could give me! Long time lurker and reader :D

But anyway, what do you all think? What looks classy, what doesn't etc. I've been reading (or trying to read other sites) and I'm still working to really define what's classy. So OT, help me out!

(and if this is the wrong spot, please move it!)

Here is the man you're looking for.
http://forum.tip.it/...2-lenticular-j/

champion
[ Display Name History ]

champion

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,176 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B002HJ377A

^ Classy.

tripsis
[ Display Name History ]

tripsis

The Fuzz

• Administrators
  • 21,534 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Tripsis

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Three-Wolf-Short-Sleeve/dp/B002HJ377A

^ Classy.

I basically have that shirt, lol.

(not the exact one, I don't think, but a similar one)
Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -
- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

RpgGamer
[ Display Name History ]

RpgGamer

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 9,230 posts
*waits for Lent to go on an epic speech about suits*

well, what style are you going for exactly? Like buisness man chic? Mallcore? Gangbanger? Playboy?

What exaclty are you going for?

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude
Steam: NippleBeardTM
Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Skull
[ Display Name History ]

Skull

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,790 posts

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Three-Wolf-Short-Sleeve/dp/B002HJ377A

^ Classy.

All you could ever need.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

nine naked men
[ Display Name History ]

nine naked men

Chief Beef

• Members
  • 5,556 posts

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B002HJ377A

^ Classy.

All you could ever need.

True story.

My wardrobe consists of three of these shirts.

I wear one as a shirt, one as a pair of pants, and wrap the last one about my head for a hat.
FBqTDdL.jpg
sleep like dead men
wake up like dead men

Scorcheddd
[ Display Name History ]

Scorcheddd

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 107 posts

*waits for Lent to go on an epic speech about suits*

well, what style are you going for exactly? Like buisness man chic? Mallcore? Gangbanger? Playboy?

What exaclty are you going for?

Hah I do enjoy wearing my suit and all, but just in general classier. Like I wear some button up shirts with an under shirt and jeans and all. That kind of stuff

Lenticular_J
[ Display Name History ]

Lenticular_J

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,284 posts
Gotta roll up my sleeves here ...

Okay, so, first, you gotta decide what exactly defines you. What kind of a person are you? What happens in your daily life? Are you running around a lot with friends? Do you prefer to sit back and relax? Are you a workaholic?

In my case, I love suits, but I also do a lot of stupid stuff with my friends that ends up with us running away from something. So it's common for me to deconstruct suits. Now, you're saying classy, so I think you're looking at similar things to me. Let's start with suits:

If you're tall and thin, you want lighter, solid suits. Jet black always looks good, though. No pleats on the pants. Pinstripes are okay, but it's better if they're fairly wide. Narrow (2.5 inches is the basic) ties are highly in style now. I prefer solid, but it's not a huge deal. If you're short and stout, pretty much reverse all of that. If you're somewhere in the middle, congrats, you get the best of both worlds! Just remember: Wool for the suit (ALWAYS), silk for the tie. Shirt's probably gonna be cotton.

Oh, and undershirts: If you plan on being fully suited up all day, wear a crew neck. If you intend to unbutton only the top button, wear a v-neck. If you might be unbuttoning a lot, wear an A-shirt (tank top). Your undershirt should roughly be the same color as your shirt (although black with dark colors and white with light is fine). Unless you intend to make a bit of a fashion statement, in which case match the color to whatever else you're wearing - or just go opposite.

I have to continue this later. But that's pretty good for a suit. Just remember this: Make sure all your clothes fit. Fit is very important. They should just barely skim your skin.

Okay, I'm back. I'll just throw some ideas out there, my personal favorite outfits.

Blazer/Sportcoat/Suit jacket, dark wash jeans, plain colored t-shirt, nice black shoes (oxfords or loafers), black belt. Or you can go the other way and do bright white what would normally be black. Could be cool.
White dress shirt, black dress pants, black oxfords, black dress belt, black pocket square, black fedora, black suspenders. Having a black shirt with a bright red undershirt and bright red suspenders is my nighttime version of this.
Jeans, dress vest, narrow tie, dress shirt, shoes, blah blah blah. This is becoming more common, probably moreso in fashion-conscious places, but it still looks good.

Just remember to take a basic design, something classic, and make it your own through subtle (or sometimes, if you're in that mind frame sometime, bright and glaring) alterations.

Make good friends with a tailor, and possibly the owner of a small, respected shoe store. And make friends with the owners of interesting, exotic restaurants and whatnot - that's more lifestyle related, though. Learn how to tie a tie perfectly your favorite way, and experiment with a couple of other knots. Spend time on your hair. Spend even more time cleaning your clothes - SHOES ESPECIALLY. One of the first things women will notice about a guy they don't even know is his shoes, and what condition they're in. Gay guys probably do this too, if you swing that way, but I wouldn't know.

That's a good enough blueprint. Feel free to ask me about specific questions. Can't say I know a lot about cologne (yet), though. I'm learning.
MATT DAMON AND MONEY.
catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

helpmeownlife
[ Display Name History ]

helpmeownlife

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 101 posts
Lent to the rescue.
Posted Image

Omar
[ Display Name History ]

Omar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts

Wool for the suit (ALWAYS)

What about linen?

Anyways, steer clear from graphic tees and "eroded" clothing if you're going for classy. Start reading up on fashion blogs (Fashionbeans, the Sartorialist) for trends. Prioritize organic fabrics as opposed to synthetic ones, like poylester. Tailored clothing are hard to pull off if you're too young. Be sure not to look like you're trying to be something you're not.
Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can
Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?
Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?
Camera guy: still laughing
Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy
Camera guy: runs away still laughing
Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down
Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!
Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

rocc0
[ Display Name History ]

rocc0

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,397 posts
I saw this topic and I said, Damn, Lent needs to help this guy.

TANSTAAFL

Lenticular_J
[ Display Name History ]

Lenticular_J

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,284 posts

Wool for the suit (ALWAYS)

What about linen?

Anyways, steer clear from graphic tees and "eroded" clothing if you're going for classy. Start reading up on fashion blogs (Fashionbeans, the Sartorialist) for trends. Prioritize organic fabrics as opposed to synthetic ones, like poylester. Tailored clothing are hard to pull off if you're too young. Be sure not to look like you're trying to be something you're not.

Linen isn't good for more than a plaything, in my opinion. I have a linen blazer, and it bugs the hell out of me. I have to have it pressed if I plan on wearing it more than a couple of times in a week, since it wrinkles like a [bleep]. But it is very light and fun, and gets a lot of attention, so its got its ups and downs. Cotton's alright, but it fades over time. Flannel's just weird looking for something like a suit. Wool's a happy medium.

I disagree that tailored clothes are hard to pull off. Well, if you're very young and still growing, yes, it's rough, but tailoring your nicer clothes should be on every man's to-do list. The sizes of dress shirts (that aren't overpriced) fit very few men straight off, particularly in the waist. At least, here in America. Doubt it's that different in Canada, but I don't know.
MATT DAMON AND MONEY.

Omar
[ Display Name History ]

Omar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts

Linen isn't good for more than a plaything, in my opinion. I have a linen blazer, and it bugs the hell out of me. I have to have it pressed if I plan on wearing it more than a couple of times in a week, since it wrinkles like a [bleep]. But it is very light and fun, and gets a lot of attention, so its got its ups and downs. Cotton's alright, but it fades over time. Flannel's just weird looking for something like a suit. Wool's a happy medium.

I disagree that tailored clothes are hard to pull off. Well, if you're very young and still growing, yes, it's rough, but tailoring your nicer clothes should be on every man's to-do list. The sizes of dress shirts (that aren't overpriced) fit very few men straight off, particularly in the waist. At least, here in America. Doubt it's that different in Canada, but I don't know.

I mean tailored clothing as in suits, leather lace-ups, trousers, dress shirts, etc. Not clothing brought to a tailor so that he makes it fit right.
Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can
Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy
Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Lenticular_J
[ Display Name History ]

Lenticular_J

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,284 posts
Oh, okay. Yeah, a young fellow that dresses like his grandfather might've is gonna get a lot of attention. But I'm an attention [bleep], and I like it, so it really just encourages me. Not for the meek.
MATT DAMON AND MONEY.

Omar
[ Display Name History ]

Omar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts

Oh, okay. Yeah, a young fellow that dresses like his grandfather might've is gonna get a lot of attention. But I'm an attention [bleep], and I like it, so it really just encourages me. Not for the meek.

And that's why I think wearing a blazer, or buttoning your shirt all the way up, or wearing lace-ups, etc. is a better idea than wearing a full suit. It looks classy but not completely incongruous.

Skully
[ Display Name History ]

Skully

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,935 posts
  • RSN:Skully SC
Well for starters, don't wear baggy jeans. Don't be a [bleep] and go for skinny jeans either, you want slim cut jeans that aren't tight on your skin. Also don't wear suit pants or something like that, because to me that seems more like you're trying too hard to look classy, than just being classy, if that makes sense.

For shoes, i'm not really sure as i'm from England and I don't know if this trend is in the states yet, but plimsoles are pretty casual but don't look sloppy or too casual.
(Example - http://s7v1.scene7.c...0068049?product$ )

For your top, you could wear a white/black crew neck t-shirt with a nice jumper, or some kinda tee that compliments a cardigan or something?
( http://www.frenchtru...y-lambwool1.jpg or http://products.tedb...54040487093.jpg )

Basically some people would say the 'pretty boy' look, but it's also pretty smart/classy.
Maybe not what you're looking for, but worth a try. :)

Posted Image

Omar
[ Display Name History ]

Omar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts
You want to wear a button-up shirt under your jumpers, it looks better.
Speaking of attention lent, I just wore dress shoes on an informal occasion for the first time (friend's gig at a small bar). Works like a charm.

____
[ Display Name History ]

____

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 10,000 posts
Lent oozes wisdom :lol:

Skull
[ Display Name History ]

Skull

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,790 posts

Lent oozes wisdom :lol:

Which is ridiculous because he's like 16.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users