The Style Thread

Scorcheddd

Never wear more than two of these three colors together: black, blue, and brown.

I just realized what a horrible person I am.

(Blue jeans, black t-shirt & a brown zipper hoodie)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never wear more than two of these three colors together: black, blue, and brown.

I just realized what a horrible person I am.

(Blue jeans, black t-shirt & a brown zipper hoodie)

I'm guilty of that on occasion.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

this thread is lolsy. i don't understand how "classy" equates to wearing suits.

too much of

http://threemonthstime.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/neil-patrick-harris.jpg[/ig]

Suits are classic, high-quality menswear. Or do you have better opinions than, you know most people?

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Well if i ever actually get a date I'll know where to come for dressing advice.

But out of curiosity how the hell do you guys (particularly Lent) know so much about suits?

2pzzjb9.jpg

106px-National_Defense_Service_Medal_ribbon.svg.png106px-Navy_Rifle_Marksmanship_Ribbon.svg.png120px-USN_Expert_Pistol_Shot_Ribbon.png

God dammit Seany, STOP SHARING MY MIND

" I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin. I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... I'm a monster.What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

I learn about what I like. If I'm interested in something, I'll soak up information like a [bleep]. Occasionally I'll do research. Gotta find the opinions of people you respect, make sure they're conflicting, and find a place somewhere in the middle to make your stand.

Works on a lot of things.

Btws: Start dressing better, and girls will start giving you more attention. People in general will give you more respect. It's a good thing.

I learn about what I like. If I'm interested in something, I'll soak up information like a [bleep]. Occasionally I'll do research. Gotta find the opinions of people you respect, make sure they're conflicting, and find a place somewhere in the middle to make your stand.

Btws: Start dressing better, and girls will start giving you more attention. People in general will give you more respect. It's a good thing.

Meh maybe I'll give it a go. I've got accustomed to, and possibly enjoy being single. I'm just trying to get through high school with tolerable grades. I have more of a "If they don't like the way I look they can suck it" attitude rather than the "I hope I look good today" thing. Also my personality isn't conducive to having a girlfriend. It's my opinion that if there isn't really anything to say, then don't say anything. And in my experience girls like when you talk to them and assume the worst when you don't.

2pzzjb9.jpg

106px-National_Defense_Service_Medal_ribbon.svg.png106px-Navy_Rifle_Marksmanship_Ribbon.svg.png120px-USN_Expert_Pistol_Shot_Ribbon.png

God dammit Seany, STOP SHARING MY MIND

" I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin. I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... I'm a monster.What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

I want to get one of Banana Republic's v-neck sweaters. They're like 15 bucks and ridiculously soft. The rest of their clothes are pretty nice, but very overpriced, even when they're on sale it seems.

I should really subscribe to those store services that tell me when there's a sale ...

I really don't think they are overpriced at all. Sure, you might think that "Oh this shirt looks identical to this other shirt I saw at _____"

But BR makes their clothes with quality fabric, the details of the cut always fit better, and the clothes look nice for a long time. Many stores will sell you clothes that are one of two fabrics: cotton or polyester (or a blend). Most of BR's clothing is made of some type of wool, silk, cashmere, etc...which gives the clothing a much more authentic feel (not like the plastic clothing you get at a place like Old Navy)

I mean, I guess if you are used to shopping at Wal Mart for your clothes, or common places that you see in every mall, or department stores, then BR might seem a little pricey. But the quality is just much better.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I think there might be a limit though. At my school, I'm pushing that line hard just by wearing flat front khakis, a belt, and a not tucked in button up. I did get a lot of attention though, but at the same time people were just like why the hell are you wearing that? Haha, my answer was simply that I like wearing it.

What do you guys think of sweater vests? Yes or no?

I think there might be a limit though. At my school, I'm pushing that line hard just by wearing flat front khakis, a belt, and a not tucked in button up. I did get a lot of attention though, but at the same time people were just like why the hell are you wearing that? Haha, my answer was simply that I like wearing it.

I'm not a sweater vest fan. I've tried it before and I can't really make it work. Go to a store that sells them, try on one or two, and see if you like the look.

Amaranth_GTO.png

Wear a simple, single-color vest with a shirt if you want to show off the print on it, or wear one that has a pattern on it with a simple shirt. I find they look sort of outdated, especially plain ones, and I'll take a regular v-neck jumper over it any day.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

I'm not a sweater vest fan. I've tried it before and I can't really make it work. Go to a store that sells them, try on one or two, and see if you like the look.

You can still pull them off, you just have to dress down the rest of the outfit.

0.jpg

Hey guys, very interesting topic and I never thought I'd be one to think of fashion at all. But its really got me thinking and its kind of enjoyable and the reads are very good and informative. (Big kudos to Lent who oozes with wisdom!) Amazing tips. I hope you don't mind me also popping a question in here.

I've done a little bit of research of what I could do for my own, I'm not one to usually research clothing but there you go, haha. Anyway, hats came to my interest. I thought about Fedoras, (a new word I've learned.) they look nice but I'm told they are too (styled) old for me, being a teenager. I was pointing to this one. Would anyone find this true, false, or any other comments?

My friend suggested to me a flat styled cap, which are seemingly called Ivy Caps which I really like. (Expect the way most of them I found kind of sag at the sides which I really dislike, I think it looks nicer more defined If I am wording it correctly.) I did find this, which is from Country Gentleman if anyone's wondering, one which I really-really like. It has a perfect shape and when I shown it to a few friends they commented on how it would suit me and matches me so to speak. I might just order it, its a shame the shipping is double the cost price. :P

From a complete newbie to this sort of stuff, my question is what would I also wear for that? Casual, yet classish wear, you know to blend in but also give people that 2nd glance at. Or am I being completely wrong and should stay completely away from the hat altogether?

And to the owner of the thread, I hope you get all your looking for, apologises for half-hijacking your thread with questions and not being of much use to you. :P

Chinos, dress shirts, vests, that sort of thing, as well as suits, go well with driving caps (the Ivy one you're talking about, there are tons of names). Really casual, although a lot of people today would consider it fairly dressy.

And those mini-fedoras, not sure what to call them (trilby?), are very in-fashion right now. You can wear them with jeans and a t-shirt very easily, so long as it's either very neutral or very bold. Or you can get a real fedora, wide-brim and all.

What I've been wearing lately is somewhat classy, and I think it looks pretty good. During the fall/winter/early spring, I wear dress pants with a dress shirt and a nice blazer, or a wool coat if it's really cold. Then during the summer I wear slim-ish polos with dress pants, it actually looks pretty good if the shirt's a bit plain and the shoes complement the outfit. But it's kind of hard to pull off, because if the shirt's a bit too loose/tight it could look really bad, plus it has to be about a certain length (couple inches below the belt) or it'll look awkward. It's really comfortable and fun to wear, though, when I do use the two shirts I have that can pull it off :P

Oh, and blazers > flannel. Have you finally realized that yet, Omar? :D

wl7w9j.png

Sentry, it's been a long time :)

You can easily wear those hats. I personally don't like the beret (ivy thing), but it's always up to you. It's very hard to base your outfit on your hat, that's like basing your outfit on a belt. It's an accessory.

Rangeor, I've always agreed, what are you talking about? :^o

tbh I didn't even know what a blazer is. In french it can mean any type of jacket, so I wasn't even talking about the same thing. But I've decided to buy less plaid shirts, I've had enough of them.

Still, I dislike the idea of wearing dress pants everywhere. I'm afraid we'll never fully agree, sorry. :)

I don't have anything to say about geek chic. Sorry. :lol:

Since people are asking for advice, can we just have a clothing/fashion/trend/advice thread?

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Wear a simple, single-color vest with a shirt if you want to show off the print on it, or wear one that has a pattern on it with a simple shirt. I find they look sort of outdated, especially plain ones, and I'll take a regular v-neck jumper over it any day.

These are very cool and all, but please, do NOT wear something like this if you're new to fashion. Most people will look absolutely horrid in these patterns. Only once you begin to understand what looks good on you should you begin looking at gaudy stuff like this.

Also, I really can't stress how much I think people shouldn't wear hats with a brim. Yes, there is a 1% chance that you are that guy who looks good in a Panama hat or a fedora, but most of the time you will look like that geek who is trying way too hard to stand out. If you want sun protection, get some sunglasses. Your head cold? Wear a beanie.

Are there any other people from SuFu here, or am I some sort of an anomaly?

mssigqc5.jpgI do English to Japanese and Japanese to English translation for free! Just keep it under 5 sentences, and PM me to use my fluency in Japanese to your advantage!

These are very cool and all, but please, do NOT wear something like this if you're new to fashion. Most people will look absolutely horrid in these patterns. Only once you begin to understand what looks good on you should you begin looking at gaudy stuff like this.

Agreed. It was an example and nothing more.

Also, I really can't stress how much I think people shouldn't wear hats with a brim. Yes, there is a 1% chance that you are that guy who looks good in a Panama hat or a fedora, but most of the time you will look like that geek who is trying way too hard to stand out. If you want sun protection, get some sunglasses. Your head cold? Wear a beanie.

Are there any other people from SuFu here, or am I some sort of an anomaly?

I agree with you on the top part. I don't like floral patterns in general, though. Looks weird on guys. I don't know what SuFu is. I also don't understand what you mean by not wearing hats with a brim. What other hats are there? I don't wear hats much any more, just when I don't get a chance to do my hair the way I want it.

[hide=Sentry Wolf]

Hey guys, very interesting topic and I never thought I'd be one to think of fashion at all. But its really got me thinking and its kind of enjoyable and the reads are very good and informative. (Big kudos to Lent who oozes with wisdom!) Amazing tips. I hope you don't mind me also popping a question in here.

I've done a little bit of research of what I could do for my own, I'm not one to usually research clothing but there you go, haha. Anyway, hats came to my interest. I thought about Fedoras, (a new word I've learned.) they look nice but I'm told they are too (styled) old for me, being a teenager. I was pointing to this one. Would anyone find this true, false, or any other comments?

My friend suggested to me a flat styled cap, which are seemingly called Ivy Caps which I really like. (Expect the way most of them I found kind of sag at the sides which I really dislike, I think it looks nicer more defined If I am wording it correctly.) I did find this, which is from Country Gentleman if anyone's wondering, one which I really-really like. It has a perfect shape and when I shown it to a few friends they commented on how it would suit me and matches me so to speak. I might just order it, its a shame the shipping is double the cost price. :P

From a complete newbie to this sort of stuff, my question is what would I also wear for that? Casual, yet classish wear, you know to blend in but also give people that 2nd glance at. Or am I being completely wrong and should stay completely away from the hat altogether?

And to the owner of the thread, I hope you get all your looking for, apologises for half-hijacking your thread with questions and not being of much use to you. :P

[/hide]

Hi-jack away! If you're dressing up, like suit/tux kind of deal get a real fedora, the wide brim and all. But I'd say go with that skate fedora for just a pair of jeans and a button up or something along those lines (Skate fedora being the thin brimmed one). And that Beret... yeah I'd say don't go with that...

Thanks for the tips guys and hey Harry it's been too long, I hope you are keeping well. :D

I shall keep the advice in mind, of trying to avoid hats and basing outfits on them. See how new to it I am. :P The hat was more of a basis's of trying something new haha, but who knows I might buy one in future. Would be nice to be going with a fedora/tribly to a nice fancy due type thing in the future.

On the other side of things, I am not a fan of patterns (especially floral ones for that matter. I rather subtle ones which don't dominate the clothing), it really depends doesn't it?

I stumbled across that Geek Chic fashion thing, looks okay, but it seems difficult to pull off, I'd rather play it safe myself.

Yeah, I don't think I'm about to deny that florals are for the daring. But it's either that, or stripes, or checks. It's time for something new.

[Edit] Oh, and for those who wonder what SuFu is, it's superfuture.

I like wearing a pocket square as of late. I need to get some more, right now all I have is a blue and black checkered and a black paisley. I really enjoy the whole throwback to the mid-20th century fashion-wise. It makes classic looks seem practically trendy.

I sure hope it doesn't go away by the time I live somewhere more important, though. Right now I'm kind of a big fish in a little pond - groundbreaking enough that I do more than throw on a t shirt and shorts - and I would appreciate being around more people that appreciate fashion. Then again, most of my guy friends go to me when they want to look for suits and stuff. That's pretty cool.

Right now I'm kind of a big fish in a little pond - groundbreaking enough that I do more than throw on a t shirt and shorts - and I would appreciate being around more people that appreciate fashion.

Same here, I go to a school of about 800(400ish guys) and 1-2 others have a decent sense of fashion... Football school bleh. All it is here is athletic shorts and the like. I wore flat front khakis today, a collared short sleeve shirt and a red shirt under that. People freak out when a guy is semi dressy. Kind of ironic, especially when if a girl gets dressy its all good but if a guy gets slightly dressed up or so then it's like a bomb went off. "OMG why are you wearing that?" "Dude wtf is up with that?" "What they hell are you doing?" and etc...

However, girls like it :thumbsup:

One reason I can't wait for college though, I'm sure there will be more fashionable straight guys around then.