The Style Thread

Scorcheddd

Dress shirts, some decent pair of jeans, a nice belt (don't get a belt with some stupid logo buckle, you'll look like a tool), some comfortable shoes (pure white shoes are nice, but they get dirty, so keep that in mind), and whatever head wear you'd like. Tie is optional.

Though I probably have more of a grungy/classy style.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, is there a term for those suit jackets that bowl out at the chest? I'm not sure if they even exist or if it's only when you're ripped to shreds and have good posture so that your shoulders pull back the top half of the jacket, making it bowl. So far i've only seen them on moviestars, who are pretty much all jacked up.

hiccup.png

What do you mean bowl out? If you could find a picture, that'd help.

But if I'm getting what you're saying, good posture and a three-button jacket with the top two buttons buttoned should do it.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Hint: do not get corframs. Shine your own shoes. They will look so much better, and you'll be a better man for it.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

What do you mean bowl out? If you could find a picture, that'd help.

But if I'm getting what you're saying, good posture and a three-button jacket with the top two buttons buttoned should do it.

like this

craig_sydney_narrowweb__300x450,2.jpg

which looks to be a two buttoned jacket, with only the top one buttoned. Although almost all pictures of craig's suits bowl out

24223_achAT_Daniel_Craig_2008-08_vo-04_122_475lo.jpg

so i'm betting being jacked up is a huge part of it and not the suit itself.

hiccup.png

Well, if your jacket's tailored well, it oughtta look like that buttoned. Although it might be a little tight, too. Just having it fit well should work well enough, methinks.

Those are dinner suits. Dinner jackets are usually two or sometimes one buttoned. All my suits are dinner suits - I don't like the look of any more than two buttons.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Bit of background to throw in that I should've done in the beginning, I'm 17 and enjoy the more dressed up look people wear around that doesn't look stupid like sweater vests at school. I love wearing my suit, I feel like Barney... too bad I'm a Ted... anyway, I despise athletic shorts for anything but athletics. They just look ridiculous...

So Lent, what about more casual wear classy? Like where can I find some nice button up shirts to wear?

Shoe wise, I've got Vans, Dress, and Converse, but I'm getting a new pair soon. What would you recommend?

On Blazers... I've always loved the look of blazers, but where should I look at getting my first one? Probably a black one, maybe Navy.

Suits, I have one thats off the rack dull blah blah, got my measurements done for one thats in the shop now, she's a beauty, like a $700 suit I'm getting for $350 <3

Express has great fitted shirts, for 50 bucks when not on sale. I personally like spread-collar French cuffed shirts, but they're really hard to find except at specialty suit shops, so I go to Express Men. Keep an eye out for their sales, they go down pretty frequently and you can nab a buttload of shirts. But my favorite real suit store is Jos A. Bank. They do tailoring here, too!

Shoes ... Kenneth Cole has safe, basic oxfords that look pretty nice. You can find them at department stores or large, quality shoe chains like DSW. Burlington might have older ones, too.

Don't rule out online for some things. If you make connections, you can do a whole lot of good. I now can get Italian-made suits for 200 dollars, including taking them to the tailor here. Not bad. I scope out Amazon pretty frequently - it isn't hard to make sure something's legit. They have great narrow ties on there, for about ten bucks a pop. I'm waiting for them to restock the black.

I'd get a navy blazer first, with black buttons. Goes with so much it's not even funny. Make sure it's wool. If you want really high-class, go to a department store or specialty suit shop. Make sure to pay the ten or twenty bucks to take it to a tailor, no matter where you go. But, since I'm sure you're still growing, you'll probably want to go a bit on the low end of the price spectrum like me and go to Burlington Coat Factory or smaller discount department stores, like Stein Mart. For your second blazer I'd get a fun one that you only intend to wear occasionally - I have a 50% worsted wool 50% cashmere that is ridiculously soft that I got for 30 dollars at Stein Mart. Gotta keep a lint brush on me all the time, though.

You might be stopping off your growing though, which puts you in a better situation than me. I'm working out and growing taller (if I keep up the rate I'm going, I'll be at least two inches taller than my brother by the time I'm about 18, which is when he stopped - and that's 6"6), which sucks for clothes stuff. Don't have enough of a steady income to keep up with it, either.

I'd also get a nice leather jacket, just because sometimes you want to be James Dean. And find some great pairs of jeans - two or three dark pairs would be an amazing little hold out. Khakis (chinos, whatever) are also coming back hard. Pastel colored shirts and brown shoes are a classic look with flat-front white khakis.

You should also get some aviators, my personal favorite sunglasses. Or wayfarers, although I don't like those as much - both the most classic styles out there.

Once you build up a sturdy foundation with the classics, start experimenting with trendy stuff. It's a lot of fun.

I've been looking around online with some of these suggestions and truthfully this has really helped me with some thought into it and all Lent and a few others. My goal's to have a better wardrobe and all once I go off to college, wherever that may be.

This express site is really cool, I'm liking some of the stuff on here alot! This Jacket looks awesome! Some of the sale shirts look pretty cool as well.

Shoe wise I don't think I'm ready for some Dockers, a bit expensive and I have some nice black dress shoes already, what do you think of loafers like These? Seems like they'd go well with a Khakis and a button up or so.

What do you look around at on amazon? Just shirts in general or all sorts of random accessories and etc?

Navy Blazer, I want to get this asap. Blazers seem sexy in general. Do you just wear a button shirt with them? and what does a decent one usually cost? $60 or so?

What kind of Jeans? Straight leg, book cut? Slim? and this dark color?

Haha I like the leather Jacket idea, hopefully a later luxury after I get some of the other stuff.

I've got a pair of subscription aviators that I wear quite often, they're really nice.

Size wise, I'm 5' 7" and a bit chubby, but I'm going to start working on getting that down. Not super big, but I've got a bit of a belly.

True story.

My wardrobe consists of three of these shirts.

I wear one as a shirt, one as a pair of pants, and wrap the last one about my head for a hat.

Why didn't I think of this? Here I am walking around wearing the shirt as just a shirt while wearing lame-o jeans w/o a wolf hat! MAN!! I've been wondering where all the ladies are.

lolswithdruidlr4.jpg

I'd get a nice pair of lace-ups first. Cap-toe oxfords are pretty much the dressiest shoes around - you might want plain-toe. Loafers, think more black leather than boat shoes. Although boat shoes like those are also great to have for a very casual look. I think the nautical thing is headed for trendy this year, like the military thing last year. I don't pay much attention to trends. But, I digress. Be sure to go in to a local Express store (if possible) to try on their clothes. My favorite shirts are the 1MX fitted. Quite high quality. On Amazon, mostly accessories, yeah, though you can sometimes find something great.

Jeans, you gotta find your own best fit, although straight legs and boot cuts are generally the most flattering. That color is great, Levi's are a good brand. A pretty good blazer probably will run you around 60 at the smaller department stores, plus ten or twenty to get it perfectly tailored.

If you plan on really changing yourself before you head off to college, be sure to spend some time sifting through your clothes and throw out/donate/change whatever you haven't worn in a while, don't like any more, or just doesn't fit you. I did that, and now my closet is practically empty. All that's left are clothes that I really enjoy wearing and that fit me well.

Start taking someone shopping with you. Preferably either (listed by how easy it is to find them): an attractive girl, an attractive guy gay, or an attractive straight guy who really has style. It's a huge help. Start thinking in outfits. Sure, having a few spectacular pieces is better than a bunch of mediocre ones, but you want your spectacular pieces to fit together into a great outfit.

Oh, and learn how to properly take care of your clothes. How to wash them right, what needs to go to the dry cleaners, how to iron well, and - very important - get a shoe shine kit. Go to one of those professional shoe shiners (yes, they're professional) at a mall or something and pay the five dollars or so to get your newest pair shined, as well as fantastic advice. They're the friendliest guys around, especially if you actually ask their opinions instead of just sitting there reading. They'll tell you the best products and show you just how to use them. These guys know their [cabbage]. They can probably help with other clothing-related issues as well, although I'd befriend a tailor for that. Get a few cedar hangars for your suit(s) and nicer clothes (blazer and whatnot), and a few cedar blocks to slip in with t-shirts. And some shoe-trees. When you're done with your shoes, put shoe-trees in them and don't wear them for a day or so. It'll make them last years.

Oh, and as for what to wear with a blazer: the possibilities are endless. It just compliments so many outfits that it's mind-boggling. Sweaters, button shirts, t-shirts, whatever. It's cool.

Suit-wise, you should be looking at darker colors and pinstripes. Both will elongate and thin you, making you look far taller and thinner than you are. I'd go with two-button suits for the most part. Invest in a few great ties and some pocket squares to go with. You don't necessarily need a tie to wear a pocket square - it's becoming a very chic accessory in itself.

Remember to try everything on (or, if you're buying online, something similar) in the store before you buy it. Shoes, try on after you've been running around all day. Your feet swell. If it doesn't already feel almost perfect (unless it's something that can be tailored and it's a wicked sweet deal) in the store, don't buy it. These days, you don't "break in" clothes. They're pretty much intended to stay the same shape until they're forced into warping.

Feel free to ask if you got more questions.

Those are dinner suits. Dinner jackets are usually two or sometimes one buttoned. All my suits are dinner suits - I don't like the look of any more than two buttons.

I'm with you, then. The only suit I own is one of those breast-thing ones that makes me look like a mafia boss. It was fun when i'd go to weddings as a little kid, floating in my suit lookin like a gangster, but now I need a dinner suit (i've just been wearing dress shirts to nice occasions lately) to make me look nice and manly like danny craig up there.

hiccup.png

[hide=Commentary #1]

Express has great fitted shirts, for 50 bucks when not on sale. I personally like spread-collar French cuffed shirts, but they're really hard to find except at specialty suit shops, so I go to Express Men. Keep an eye out for their sales, they go down pretty frequently and you can nab a buttload of shirts. But my favorite real suit store is Jos A. Bank. They do tailoring here, too!

Sears has good shirts too, but disgusting ones as well. Be careful.

Shoes ... Kenneth Cole has safe, basic oxfords that look pretty nice. You can find them at department stores or large, quality shoe chains like DSW. Burlington might have older ones, too.

Zara and Aldo are good trendy alternatives. They don't have much when it comes to classics though.

Don't rule out online for some things. If you make connections, you can do a whole lot of good. I now can get Italian-made suits for 200 dollars, including taking them to the tailor here. Not bad. I scope out Amazon pretty frequently - it isn't hard to make sure something's legit. They have great narrow ties on there, for about ten bucks a pop. I'm waiting for them to restock the black.

ASOS has an inexpensive collection of all types of clothing, from underwear to tailoring (blazer+trouser combos for 80£). I'm not experienced enough to vouch for quality though. They also sell a lot of trendy brand name clothing.

All Saints has brave, trendy collections, but their clothing is quite expensive.

Topman and Burton are happy mediums, the latter selling jacket+shirt+tie+trouser+shoe combos for 154£.

I'd get a navy blazer first, with black buttons. Goes with so much it's not even funny. Make sure it's wool.

Yep. If you get a black blazer first, you're going to regret it. Go for gold buttons if you want to play out the nautical look, which as Lent said is hot for SS10.

And find some great pairs of jeans - two or three dark pairs would be an amazing little hold out.

I suggest Levi's 511s, 510s if you're feel like going skinnier. If you're a little hefty, 501s, 507s, and 514 are what you're looking for. The wash on the 511s I linked to is perfect, but you might want a black pair (overdyed if possible, so they won't lose their color and end up seeming a little grungy) and a gray pair. If you're feeling somewhat brave, white jeans are great too. Don't fall in mud though, it won't wash off. Personal experience.

Khakis (chinos, whatever) are also coming back hard. Pastel colored shirts and brown shoes are a classic look with flat-front white khakis.

Also true. ASOS sells chinos, some with bright colors for a modern twist.

You should also get some aviators, my personal favorite sunglasses. Or wayfarers, although I don't like those as much - both the most classic styles out there.

Also hot right now are Clubmasters and Rounded Wayfarers (I think that's the name... :mellow:)

[/hide]

[hide=Commentary #2]

I'd get a nice pair of lace-ups first. Cap-toe oxfords are pretty much the dressiest shoes around - you might want plain-toe. Loafers, think more black leather than boat shoes. Although boat shoes like those are also great to have for a very casual look. I think the nautical thing is headed for trendy this year, like the military thing last year. I don't pay much attention to trends. But, I digress. Be sure to go in to a local Express store (if possible) to try on their clothes. My favorite shirts are the 1MX fitted. Quite high quality. On Amazon, mostly accessories, yeah, though you can sometimes find something great.

Derby shoes are less formal than oxfords, but still classy. Pointed ones ooze character.

Boat shoes are basically a must if you feel like following trends. Wear them with rolled up chinos or shorts. Once again, opt for colored alternatives for a modern twist. Again, ASOS/Aldo/Zara.

If you plan on really changing yourself before you head off to college, be sure to spend some time sifting through your clothes and throw out/donate/change whatever you haven't worn in a while, don't like any more, or just doesn't fit you. I did that, and now my closet is practically empty. All that's left are clothes that I really enjoy wearing and that fit me well.

What must be added is that half of looking great is attitude. You'll understand if someday you go to Milan and see the gentlemen leaving a trail of confidence behind them. Posture and body language are extremely important.

Oh, and as for what to wear with a blazer: the possibilities are endless. It just compliments so many outfits that it's mind-boggling. Sweaters, button shirts, t-shirts, whatever. It's cool.

You can basically wear a blazer with anything that doesn't look rough or grungy. But if you're trying to look classy, I don't think you'll have any of that in your wardrobe.

[/hide]

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Guys, you have no idea how much help this is! Really, it truly is.

I'm leaning more towards the boat shoes though, I want them to wear with the Khaki's. They're not too dressy but still a step above gym shoes. I figure I've got my converse for the Jeans, Those for the Khaki's, and some dress shoes for the dress pants.

Oh yes, it's perfect to have boat shoes. I'm not huge on them, but I have slip-on shoes that are pretty much the same general thing, just no laces. They're great with light, happy clothes, especially if you get a pair in a color that says "Hey [bleep]er look at me!"

I'm debating with myself whether or not to wear undershirts under my dress shirts. When it gets warmer I'll have to for hygiene's sake, but the next couple weeks are the only spring I really get, and my undershirts are rather sad and ill-fitting, and somehow find a way to come untucked just on the side in the middle of the day.

I love my uncle. He just gave me a bunch of button up shirts, plaid, all sorts of different styles. The only reason he gave them to me was because he got more new ones that he wanted and needed closet space. These are some nice as hell shirts too, $40 shirts, all sorts of colors.

I've just gotta work on getting money for a shopping trip sometime soon. My to do list is:

- Blazer

- Slip on Boat esque shoes, something of the sort.

- New Pair of dark Jeans

Basically if you just buy everything that Banana Republic has for sale, youll be looking classy in no time.

If you're a rich bastard, sure. Some of us aren't quite as well off though.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

I want to get one of Banana Republic's v-neck sweaters. They're like 15 bucks and ridiculously soft. The rest of their clothes are pretty nice, but very overpriced, even when they're on sale it seems.

I should really subscribe to those store services that tell me when there's a sale ...

Banana republic has no muchness. On top of that, I'm not quite sure what to think of a brand that markets these as Oxfords.

[Edit] If you have french cuffs your shirts, make sure your cuff links aren't too obvious. As a rule of thumb, if you notice the cuff links on someone's sleeve, they're bad. Avoid ridiculous ones likes airplanes, boots, etc. Keep it as simple as possible.

[Edit] Don't wear boat shoes with a blazer. It'll clash.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Lenticular, I have to say, it's nice having another style-minded guy around here. I'm impressed with your knowledge especially given your age, not even having been through college yet.

I feel like most of what I wanted to say has been said already. My biggest general points are to wear clothing that fits. Go as slim as you can without it hugging your skin. If you're thin, roll your sleeves up. Learn how to roll your dress sleeves up correctly. Wear straight cut jeans - boot cut is out. It's spring/summer now: if you're going to wear shorts, wear flat front and not cargos. Don't wear white socks. Match your belt with your shoes. Never wear more than two of these three colors together: black, blue, and brown. And don't be afraid to push/develop your style. You'll make mistakes, but you'll learn from them. I look at some stuff I used to wear/try to pull off and laugh about it, but if you don't develop your personal style you won't grow. Make it your own and have fun with it, it will pay off.

Two words. Parachute Pants :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dungensweapers.png

JOIN CHICKENSWEEPERS TODAY! FUN, FREE, AND IT WON'T MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE JUST BEEN ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS, OR YOUR MONEY BACK!

this thread is lolsy. i don't understand how "classy" equates to wearing suits.

Requesting enlightenment.