Why does Jagex get new skills so wrong?

Slayer_Jesse

A new skill is a massive undertaking, and I would hardly call the first release a failure: just a piece of content that needs some tweaks.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost all skills released after classic have been reworked after release because some features were not thought through...

Slayer: could not change task

Runecrafting: way the talismans worked

Farming... not so much change

Construction: some early devastating bugs

Hunter: not so much change

Summoning: price of shards and renewal of familiars

Dungeoneering: price of rewards

We are still beta testing Dungeoneering... this is how this game is played, I don't mind it at all if Jagex reacts swiftly like they did this week.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

slayer was excellent, so was farming, hunter, runecrafting, and construction (and agility if you remember that far back). Summoning needed tweaks as will dungeoneering. Naw I'd say they do a pretty good job releasing skills and as we have seen with summoning, they do a good job tweaking them and making changes.

Sublexation.gif

Hey, dungeoneering is probably the 3rd slowest skill right now, the others being Slayer and Runecraft, besides the skill (At least to me) is epic, I really like the fact that we can raid dungeons in parties and all that stuff, sure it looks like an activity but it's far more complex than that (Like you stated before). I will give the skill a...7/10 because I haven't done party raids yet (Nobody wants to raid with a lv 126 on F2P lol). Also, I'm 70% sure there will be a Dungeoneering II making the skill even better

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

One of the problems with these things are simple oversights that common sense, forgiving all computer knowledge, should take care of. The token costs were from a first draft that got changed during development, but no one was on the ball enough to catch this and it slipped through the cracks? That's what I find so disturbing. A dozen supposed crack game developers spending two years and it's riddled with piddling little mistakes like this? Sad.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

One of the problems with these things are simple oversights that common sense, forgiving all computer knowledge, should take care of. The token costs were from a first draft that got changed during development, but no one was on the ball enough to catch this and it slipped through the cracks? That's what I find so disturbing. A dozen supposed crack game developers spending two years and it's riddled with piddling little mistakes like this? Sad.

this is exactly the type of screw up im talking about. silly little common sense things!

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Maybe every skill doesn't have to provide some reward. Maybe there is this thing called "fun". You are looking at every skill like it has to have a specific purpose which enhances game play. You should enjoy the skills otherwise you need to go outside.

Hunter -> designed to be relaxing

Summoning -> One of the best skills since slayer.

Construction -> Money drainer and a way to show off your creativity.

Go play Farmvile then.

i dont care about 99's. I'm jsut dreading getting this skill into the 80's. itl prob take days to get one lvl...and i get needing better skills to get close to his base, but the dungeoneering skill still don't make a lick of sense. and if they claim that floors are magically sealed from people with lower dungeon lvls as the reasoning for the skill, it would be idiotic and poor reasoning. (not all plot holes can be filled by MAGIC!!!)

I really hate that about this skill. There is not one thing about it that can allow it to be defined as a skill.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/skill

Skill

1   /skɪl/ (skil)

noun

the ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well: Carpentry was one of his many skills.

competent excellence in performance; expertness; dexterity: The dancers performed with skill.

a craft, trade, or job requiring manual dexterity or special training in which a person has competence and experience: the skill of cabinetmaking.

It clearly does not fit any of those definitions. There is not one part in Raiding that actually uses your Raiding level in a logical manner.

How can they use it as a quest requirement?

Raiding is dumb as the Hit Points skill.

Prism_Swords.png

We are still beta testing Dungeoneering...

The idea of having thousands of paying customers "beta testing" released content should make any self-respecting software engineer or development manager cringe with embarrassment.

I wonder how many of the people who are willing to give Jagex a free pass on this, also feel the same way when Microsoft puts out a buggy release? I'm guessing not many.

And at least they *do* have a beta testing program. They at least try. Jagex simply doesn't care enough to expend the money and effort to ensure that their new features are properly designed and implemented before springing them on the world.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Maybe every skill doesn't have to provide some reward. Maybe there is this thing called "fun". You are looking at every skill like it has to have a specific purpose which enhances game play. You should enjoy the skills otherwise you need to go outside.

Go play Farmvile then.

i dont care about 99's. I'm jsut dreading getting this skill into the 80's. itl prob take days to get one lvl...and i get needing better skills to get close to his base, but the dungeoneering skill still don't make a lick of sense. and if they claim that floors are magically sealed from people with lower dungeon lvls as the reasoning for the skill, it would be idiotic and poor reasoning. (not all plot holes can be filled by MAGIC!!!)

I really hate that about this skill. There is not one thing about it that can allow it to be defined as a skill.

Skill

1   /skɪl/ (skil)

noun

the ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well: Carpentry was one of his many skills.

competent excellence in performance; expertness; dexterity: The dancers performed with skill.

a craft, trade, or job requiring manual dexterity or special training in which a person has competence and experience: the skill of cabinetmaking.

It clearly does not fit any of those definitions. There is not one part in Raiding that actually uses your Raiding level in a logical manner.

very good points. and your right, hitpoints dont make a lick of sense either (hurt your enemies to make yourself healthier? wtf?) but at least it performs a vital function.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

Go play Farmvile then.

Skill

1   /skɪl/ (skil)

noun

What, there's a Raiding skill now?

And I dont see what makes Constitution so "dumb"...

yes i agree with you. Dungeoneering is a lot like a minigame.

You see people, a skill would usually benefit you. Lets say runecrafting helps you to make runes which can help u make $$ or to train ur mage with the runes u make.

smithing allows u to make armour for yourself or use it to make $$ etc, other skills also have other obvious benefits..

but look at dungeoneering..it does not help you in anyway. level 99 dungeoneering lvl? congrats? and so how are you better than me? does nothing man.

Hey, dungeoneering is probably the 3rd slowest skill right now, the others being Slayer and Runecraft, besides the skill (At least to me) is epic, I really like the fact that we can raid dungeons in parties and all that stuff, sure it looks like an activity but it's far more complex than that (Like you stated before). I will give the skill a...7/10 because I haven't done party raids yet (Nobody wants to raid with a lv 126 on F2P lol). Also, I'm 70% sure there will be a Dungeoneering II making the skill even better

Im 117 on F2P and no1 will team with me lol. But I am P2P user like going into free worlds for fun.

Overall rating: 7/10

Rewards:7.5/10

Teams:8.5/10 (bosses need to be tweaked)

Soloing:10/10

Other then that the skill is slow but I like it better no nerds can play for many hours a day and get 99 in 4 days

Tell me, why is is it a bad thing that dungeoneering is a minigame like? In my opinion, that only makes the skill more enjoyable.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

I think every single skill in the game is great apart from dung'ing but i do think it was needed, something like this that ties everything together and gives you an incentive to train other skills.

Your reward : More total levels, a Fun minigame-skill and rewards that enhance gameplay.

All in all a great addition, but not such a great "skill".

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

I think every single skill in the game is great apart from dung'ing but i do think it was needed, something like this that ties everything together and gives you an incentive to train other skills.

Your reward : More total levels, a Fun minigame-skill and rewards that enhance gameplay.

All in all a great addition, but not such a great "skill".

This.

And besides, they can just make some dungeon raids that are unlocked at certain levels and require you to take your own equipment. Of course you would get to keep the rewards.

This skill is strange. It looks like a mini game because theres just 1 dungeon to raid. Its like the agility skill with only 1 agility course available all through out RS.

If there were more Damonheimish dungeons scattered through out RS then it would look more like a skill. Beginner dungeon, intermediate dungeon and so on.

Also, I don't get the tokens. You need the dung skill requirement to use a scroll or wield the item so why put a token thing into the system?

This skill is strange. It looks like a mini game because theres just 1 dungeon to raid. Its like the agility skill with only 1 agility course available all through out RS.

If there were more Damonheimish dungeons scattered through out RS then it would look more like a skill. Beginner dungeon, intermediate dungeon and so on.

Also, I don't get the tokens. You need the dung skill requirement to use a scroll or wield the item so why put a token thing into the system?

agreed. the token thing is what makes it most like a minigame to me. id much rather see the shop use cash, take some gp out of this inflated economy.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

I think one of the largest excuses for making this "minigame" (so far) a skill. Is because by making this a skill and introducing prestige exp in between, we don't need to grind the highest lvl dungeon we can explore all the time. And concerning another post saying 99 dung is useless, it isn't, one thing is that it lets us bind more items, which makes the dungeon faster to explore since you wont need to make everything from scratch, and this will considerably increase xp/hr in the higher levels. The second thing is at lvl 99 dung you would have 1,3 mil tokens, allowing you to buy almost every item, and there will possibly be released even higher level items that requires i.e 99, 110 or 120 d'eering to wield or use.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

I agree that, even after Jagex has re-done the token system, it still seems fairly flawed. A common question I've seen, without a good answer, is what's the point of a reward at a certain level, when, due to the way tokens are integrated into experience, it is impossible to achieve the reward until levels later?

However, part of your rant really bugs me. OMG, I've only been training for a week, I'm already 50+. Well, ok, so it's not as fast as hunter. You still got 50 friggin levels in a week. Maybe it IS slower then other skills, but so what? Less then 2 weeks after it comes out we have someone at level 87. (Yes, this person is on the top of the highscore list) The exp rate doesn't seem too bad to me.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

We call that Stealing Creation. (Admittedly only up to lvl 80, but there's nothing stopping Jagex from adding level 6 clay at 99 for example.)

Interesting that whilst Jagex has altered the token cost of rewards from this mini-skill, they still don't match up! At level 25 I can use the scroll of life, yet won't have the 10k tokens to do so until lvl 50 at least... Fail much?

asrhasrh.jpg