Should Jagex make a rule that forbids price manipulation aka "Merchant clans"?

Dire_Wolf

Well youd make a profit, slowly. Really the only ones who would hurt in this example would be runecrafters. That or Mages if runes rise with ess. Or maybe boss drops that require magic to be good (d axes) and highly alches items might rise too?

The impact on one item really could affect the whole economy.

But your probably right, either way i still see it better then merch clans

no reason to sacrifice personal profits to take a jab at merchant clans, there's more than one way to do that

Some of the richest solo merchants I know make half their money by undercutting merchant clans

Naaxi.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No we don't need more rules. If you aren't able to figure out how to beat these guys at their own game, then that's just too bad TBH. It isn't hard to profit off them.

A rule that says no advertising of merchant clans do help

Have you not ventured to world 2 as of late? Advertising clan chat spam has recently been made an offense, a reportable one at that.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

For those saying Jagex should take a stronger stance on auto typers / advertising etc...

all Pmods are now allowed and encouraged to mute an advertiser / autotyper immediately after the first time being advertised, without warning. So even if they say "Join uba mega merch master mayhem money makers" ONE time, they can be muted.

Good.

Btw, all this chatter on what "helps" and "hurts" the economy is pretty much chalk full of opinions, and very little fact.

I will say this - people that merchant and manipulate end up doing nothing to the game than would have in the long run happened anyway. Think about it - unless we're talking about rares, spirit shields, or runite ore, the supply of items in game is by no stretch of the imagination fixed. When the price rises due to merchanters and manipulators on say, limpwurt roots, more people kill hobgoblins and more people sell off their banked limpwurt roots. More limpwurt roots enter into the game. When they sell of their limpwurt roots and it crashes, no one kills hobgoblins or sells their limpwurt roots (that wasn't involved in the merch). Why? its not worth their time. What's the net effect? The item enters and leaves the game in the long run the same amount, just as it would have naturally.

All this whining and complaining about items prices being too high, too low, or just plain manipulated is the same as a 5 year old at a toy store; bawling their eyes out; screaming "BUT I WANT IT NOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!" because their parents won't buy them the toy they want today. As designed, there are THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of things to do in runescape, and a near infinite number of things to do outside of runescape.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

MUST READ: RSOF - QFC: 36-37-680-60857645

quotes from it:

Hey,

I plan to have a big discussion with all top rare trades/holders and would like everyone On list below to try and come for this.

LIST of names i want to join:

Some Sanity

Woutercoss

Sander kills

K maguz

Krimandy1

Raked

Fireball7106

win all day

Do want

Dutch Cannon

Spacejockey1

Benwarrrior5

Yak dat KFC

Robinhoodnow

Hetfy one

Vozaks

moneypascal1

suerly

Blitzzbow

Nikos247

Profit soon

wealther b0y4

warrioz1

dark fussion

U sck poop

joemaxpayne

Vexed out

Brushead

The Meeting will be in my clan chat. atm its open to anyone and i ask for you all to join to see if i have you added, and if you on the list but not added please post as the clan chat will be priv.

If your name isnt on the list and you feel you should be then post and ill see. Ive based the poeple on Rare trading wealth and amount they have. In my eyes the names on there are the Top of them 3 thing.

TIME OF MEETING IN 19 Hours time. ( 4pm GMT )

O Before this gets moved for being in the wrong place im currently selling a easter egg for 500m.

Thanks, and i hope to see you all

So hey guys, I along with the rest of you guys have a ton of edibles. Before it crashes completely, we must act now and devise some way of raising the price of them back up. We will stock up on them and then when the time comes, we will sell pumpkins for 1b once again and be mad rich.

Oh and of course I will not tell you about what the consequences are if this fails

List of all top rare price manipulators included...

w3bi.png

7ahl.pngZr.png1buy.png

eblo.png

As much as I am against it in real life, I'm pretty much open now to having set prices for 90% of products. We can have all the TT items, rares, etc be allowed to fluctuate still, but all the cosmetic stuff that really has no impact on play can take the burden of these merchers/merchanters.

And why am I in favor of this? Cause of the constantly fluctuating process? Because it's a necessary thing to save the game? No. i want that just so every can finally shut the hell up about this. After 2 years of hearing people kvetching over this insipid garbage I've had enough! :wall:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

As much as I am against it in real life, I'm pretty much open now to having set prices for 90% of products.

[bleep] it, let's just make runescape a single player game then.

Oh and if you do fix prices you'll just have street trading on EVERYTHING. Sometime look up underground economies - they appear wherever there is restriction.

After 2 years of hearing people kvetching over this insipid garbage I've had enough! :wall:

You're the first person other than my Grandfather, who died ten years ago, I've ever seen use "kvetching" emot-swoon.gif. Grandparents were Croatian.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

If jagex did try to fix this manipulation problem, they would probably end up ruining the GE and making it a pain to use for normal players. Of course, the manipulators would find another way around it.

The sour dough of the epitmous pie hungers for another's sweet lips to be dulled into a state of most irreverant humbleness

TUBULAR BELLS!

After 2 years of hearing people kvetching over this insipid garbage I've had enough! :wall:

You're the first person other than my Grandfather, who died ten years ago, I've ever seen use "kvetching" emot-swoon.gif. Grandparents were Croatian.

I was adopted by Jewish parents. I speak fluent Yiddish, so bite me.

Also, I'm personally a laissez-faire Capitalist and a member of the Libertarian in the US.

And Blade, I was clearly be facetious. I would detest doing something like that, but even that palls in comparison to how tired of I am of this topic.

Oh, so all the way over to "no regulations at all"?

I think we used to be like that.

Didn't something ugly happen a couple or so years back?

I can't seem to put my finger on it. I'm sure it didn't affect anybody at all though.

8f14270694.jpg

No we don't need more rules. If you aren't able to figure out how to beat these guys at their own game, then that's just too bad TBH. It isn't hard to profit off them.

A rule that says no advertising of merchant clans do help

Have you not ventured to world 2 as of late? Advertising clan chat spam has recently been made an offense, a reportable one at that.

I was not aware of that. When i go Grand Exchange or crowded places i tend to take my public chat off nowdays. I also avoid standing at G.E.

World 2 G.E would be sucidial so. But great to know!

What do i report advertisers under? Spam?

Really, I don't see why price manipulation clans are still allowed. Ruining the game for other players... <_<

Actually, the main priority is to make all rares untradeable. They are never meant to be like that in the first place, and it really disrupts the market.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I can't seem to put my finger on it. I'm sure it didn't affect anybody at all though.

If you're referencing the current mess, then no. Learn your history. The current mess is a byproduct of over-regulation, namely government forcing private institutions to make bad decisions. But that's not the point of this thread, is it?

The collusion referenced above doesn't bother me a bit. As far as I'm concerned, rares will be dead in a couple years. Jagex will inevitably make a few decisions here and there on updates that will tick people off, causing them to quit. Or, a player might make poor decisions and get themselves banned. The only way to "save" the rares are by having them stored on inactive accounts. But then again, they wouldn't be in game, so it in effect nullifies the point of having something to show off.

♪♪ And I'm not done

if i have money, I want to be able to spend it however i deem fit.

If it raises the prices to where you cant afford stuff, too bad, too sad for you.

Noone is stopping you from using your money on items or skills. If you HAVE money, why do you need more? and more importantly why play a game to make only more money? And why not do it in a way that don't affect others? I'm surprised of your comment.

Why don't you need more? Why play a game just to get more xp? Why not do it your own way, since you're paying. I'm surprised at YOUR comment.

Well not rly surprised... But as much as I HATE manipulation, it's their money.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

No, we haven't. The US, and really no where in the world, has ever tried a system of complete Capitalism, it's always been a mixed economy of some fashion. They're tried complete Fascism. complete Communism, and complete Socialsm, all of which have failed. No one's ever done complete Capitalism. Closest we've come was the Industrial Revolution, which most people now think back and think of children working in warehouses and stuff for 10+ hours a day comple0tely ignoring that pre-industrial Revolution those children would have likely died like so many did, but... this is very far off the topic.

I've also find that Manipulators/Merchants only really screw up the rare economy. Everything else they've raised the price of is something that you can get on your own. I mean, heaven forbid any of us have to be self sufficient in some way and can't just buy the vast resources to train the skills super duper fast...

I find none of this really affects me at all. I can obtain my own armor, get my own weapons, fish and cook my own fish, hunt my own stuff, craft my own runes, cut my own logs and burn/fletch them, mine and smith my own metal object, etc etc etc.

Lemme tell you too, it's a beautiful thing.

dobar dan. monopolizam jesu lo.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

No, we haven't. The US, and really no where in the world, has ever tried a system of complete Capitalism, it's always been a mixed economy of some fashion. They're tried complete Fascism. complete Communism, and complete Socialsm, all of which have failed. No one's ever done complete Capitalism. Closest we've come was the Industrial Revolution, which most people now think back and think of children working in warehouses and stuff for 10+ hours a day comple0tely ignoring that pre-industrial Revolution those children would have likely died like so many did, but... this is very far off the topic.

He's referring to December '07. Y'know, when trade limits came in? The day RS supposedly "died"?

a70c7.png

You will notice that there were no buyouts or similar manipulations pre-December '07. The ability to manipulate is a direct result of that.

Whether or not it was a worthwhile tradeoff is another (and pointless) debate. What we have at hand is "How can we make the GE work?"

You will notice that there were no buyouts or similar manipulations pre-December '07. The ability to manipulate is a direct result of that.

Whether or not it was a worthwhile tradeoff is another (and pointless) debate. What we have at hand is "How can we make the GE work?"

Actually, there was a HUGE manipulation going on. RWTers/Macroers/Gold Farmers saturated the market with items, and dictated the prices due to their online prices. You could buy 1m gold for something like, $3, or 10k sharks, or 10k yews.

Lobsters cost 250 each, not because they were worth that much, but because RWTers were willing to sell them for that much, in relation to 1M gold.

The ability for players to dictate their own prices was a direct result of nixing RWTing.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Actually, there was a HUGE manipulation going on. RWTers/Macroers/Gold Farmers saturated the market with items, and dictated the prices due to their online prices. You could buy 1m gold for something like, $3, or 10k sharks, or 10k yews.

Lobsters cost 250 each, not because they were worth that much, but because RWTers were willing to sell them for that much, in relation to 1M gold.

The ability for players to dictate their own prices was a direct result of nixing RWTing.

And actually, now that players know that they can manipulate market prices with collective buying power, whether the GE gets removed or not won't alter anything. In fact, giving back free trade now would just allow players to buy a ruby from you for 5k today and ask for 20k tomorrow.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Just to clarify something for people, advertising manipulation cc's isn't agaisnt the rules. The use of auto-talkers is. It has always been against the rules but Jagex didn't really enforce it. Because of the public pressure, Jagex recently said they would start enforcing it.

You guys do know that you can report people for spam advertising their merching clan?

You do know that's the equivalent of trying to put out a fire by blowing at it really hard?