Private servers

ghjkl

Not to say that they are good or anything, but why don't we know more about runescape from the existance of private servers? Couldn't we figure out how accuracy works or the drop rates of items by examining their code? Couldn't we figure out all the wierd and quirky formulas for things that Jagex refuses to disclose?

they arent run by jagex so the forumlas are different

and against the rules i might add

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

and against the rules i might add

~~~legoman187~~~

But they are taking all of Jagex's stuff and copying Runescape... I don't know why.. Good question.. I guess. o.O

Maybe they just copy the formulas, or make new ones that are more simple..

35b9enp.jpg

They cannot and should not. Private servers are not against RS rules, but are copyright infringement and could be illegal or something. Of course owners can get sued, but IDK if users of these servers can get punished in any way.

Yeah, why the hell hasn't anyone posted ring of wealth codes or anything?

This.

But they have to get the original code first, then change it.

Private server's differ from runescape greatly and the codes are probably not the easiest thing to get a hold of if you're a private server maker. I'm sure Jagex have their coding protected very well so people cannot use the formula's against them. Most private server's exist only to infect your computer and, or steal your password.

Low_C.png

I didn't say "all" I said most. Most bots steal your password but I'm sure you can find ones that work well and don't steal your password aswell.

Low_C.png

Why? Because all that stuff is serverside, which private server makers do NOT have access to. They have to write the servers basically from scratch. The world itself, npcs, and items (the models and such) are clientside, which is the only reason private servers are even possible. Obviosly the people who write these servers aren't very professional, thus all of them suck.

How are they gonna ban you for using a private server?

You must not reverse-engineer, decompile or modify any Jagex Product client software in any way (except to the extent allowed by applicable law). You must not use a modified/customised version of the client software or attempt to sub-license it. You must not create or provide any other means by which any Jagex Product may be played by others (including, without limitation, replacement or modified client/server software, server emulators).

Materials (including without limit all information, software, data, text, photographs, graphics, sound and video) placed on any Jagex Product by us or on our behalf are protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights of ourselves or our business partners / suppliers / advertisers. You may not use these materials or any Jagex Product except in accordance with these terms and conditions and for personal (i.e. non-commercial) use only.

You agree that all intellectual property or other rights in any game character, account and items are and will remain our property.

That pretty much says that private servers are against the Terms of Service (rules).

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

You'd probably get a more accurate answer doing your own tests playing Runescape instead of using a Private Server for your test.

Keep in mind that Private Servers are copied to an extent, and usually have their own added items and different coding, meaning they're a whole separate game in coding, but similar in graphics and storylines.

Simply putting it, stick to Runescape. It's better anyways and doesn't have any chance of being shut down for breaking the law. :thumbup:

Not sure if it has been explained before, didn't read whole thread.

The code of runescape is in two parts, Client and Server. The server is the logic of the game, its the drop rates, the spawn times, the database interaction, etc. The server sends out 'messages' to the play on what is happening in game, when a player moves, all other players in the area are sent a 'message' saying they moved, when you kill a monster and get a drop, the server sends a 'message' saying what amount of damage you did to it, that it died, and that it dropped something. The client is what takes these messages and turns them into something we understand through visual and/or audio. The server does not deal with media at all( textures, models, audio, item pictures, etc.) Its the client that deals with that, the server just sends the 'message' to display a certain item in some one's hand, or to display some one hitting a 250 on a monster.

We have the code of the client because we actually download it, We can look at what the client's code can accept, and fake it in a private server, we know what these 'messages' look like because we can see how the client interprets them.

The problem is, the server doesn't send the formulas, it doesn't send when something will happen, it only sends when something does happen, at that exact time.

Instead of sending the drop rates, it just sends what the drop is after it figures it out through the drop rates. instead of sending a message saying a rune rock will respawn in exactly 6 minutes and 32 seconds, it will instead send in 6 minutes and 32 seconds that it just spawned.

Private servers is faking a jagex server, they try copy jagex's formulas so that the game is realistic. Sure it looks exactly the same, but we have to remember the media of the game is stored on the client side not server side, so even if it looks the same, it can be 100% different.

Everything that has been done in private servers can already be done without them by looking through the client's code.

sig.jpg

This is just my theory:

visual things like the geometry of runescape and the models you see are something that makes sense to transfer to the client. these don't effect gameplay, really. drops on the other hand, should be determined by the server, and so the code doesn't need to be transferred to the client.

fishing.gif

The only ever time I've been tempted to use a private server was for Jad practise without having to do the waves first...

Tbh, I know they are against the rules but I think they're a good thing. They let people that don't want to train the "official" way do so well away from me, and they'd only be using bots in the real game otherwise.

Schmuall.png

give F2P a penny and they want a dime; give P2P a quarter, they want 100,000 dollars, your car, house, boat, social security number, credit card numbers, drivers license, clothes on your back and everything you ever owned or interacted with ever