Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 23rd May 2010

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Bernkastel
Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

Please PM any typos or edits to me, rather than posting them here.

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

DoomBlood
[ Display Name History ]

DoomBlood

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 1 posts
Great articles this week!! Really enjoyed both of them!
Posted Image

If you haven't seen AVATAR yet, see it. Now. That's an order.

qeltar
[ Display Name History ]

qeltar

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,657 posts
Pretty nice article on RuneFest; reasonably balanced, and mercifully not full of apologetics like most RuneFest articles are.

Couple of quick points:

1. No, it's not reasonable for people to "whine" that they can't attend an event in a different country. But that's exactly why it should have had an online component to it, even if a minimal one, to help the community all feel involved. This was a totally missed opportunity.

2. The cost of the food and drink etc. does not justify the high ticket price of this event. This was supposed to be an event to thank customers -- you don't thank people by inviting them to a party and then making them pay for it. Add to that the fact that Jagex is an exceedingly wealthy company, and most of their customers are poor students, and it's just that much worse.

3. No mention of the Flagstaff of Fiascos, though that might have been deliberate.
Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok
Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!
Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!
Posted Image

AirWales
[ Display Name History ]

AirWales

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Air Wales
2 very enjoyable articles to read!

1 note about RuneFest. Although i'm not going, I do think Jagex should have made the event 15+, because there are alot of young players and I somehow get the feeling they're neglecting a large part of their fan-base but as stated, it's the first time so they might alter it in the future,

Howlin0001
[ Display Name History ]

Howlin0001

Howlin Wowlin

• Website Crew
  • 3,627 posts
  • RSN:Howlin1

1 note about RuneFest. Although i'm not going, I do think Jagex should have made the event 15+, because there are alot of young players and I somehow get the feeling they're neglecting a large part of their fan-base but as stated, it's the first time so they might alter it in the future,

I thought it was open for all age groups but they said there is alcohol available for over 18's.

Posted Image

ForsakenMage
[ Display Name History ]

ForsakenMage

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 6,856 posts
  • RSN:ForsakenMage
  • RSN2:Pengew Ami
  • Clan:EoE
Guess I should've clarified on costs...

Renting a venue for a day, rich or not, is still pricey. You still need to worry about insurance in case anyone gets hurt, even if people sign a waiver stating they won't hold Jagex responsible for any injuries that they may take.

Wanna know why WonderCon for example can cost $36 for three days at the most? Sponsors, and I mean a TON of sponsors. How many sponsors does Jagex have? We don't know yet since the list isn't up.

qeltar
[ Display Name History ]

qeltar

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,657 posts
Jagex doesn't need any "sponsors" for this event if it's really about thanking customers, as they said.

They aren't some struggling startup. This company has, as the old expression goes, "more money than God". They should have subsidized the event -- not only would it have barely dented their bottom line, they'd have gotten back what they spent in PR value.
Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!
Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!
Posted Image

RSBDavid
[ Display Name History ]

RSBDavid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,113 posts
  • RSN:Davidd

Jagex doesn't need any "sponsors" for this event if it's really about thanking customers, as they said.

They aren't some struggling startup. This company has, as the old expression goes, "more money than God". They should have subsidized the event -- not only would it have barely dented their bottom line, they'd have gotten back what they spent in PR value.

Ever heard the saying "There is no such thing as a free lunch."? Would you take a $120,000.00+ loss in revenue from your ads and membership fees in order to thank your RuneScoop members? Maybe $20,000.00 max would be appropriate for a company the size of Jagex. I am not going to start a war over whether Jagex should take a loss or not, that isn't the point of this thread.

Sponsors help lower the costs for the end-users by giving money to the venue organizers in exchange for some advertisement. They also can provide free products for the atendees. No matter what argument you try and produce, that is the way it works.

I had some minor sponsorship from Pepsi for a self-hosted LAN party. They paid for the equipment rental and location rental and provided free beverages and advertisement signs as long as I did not advertise other beverage companies. I only had to pay for some pizza (which was covered by the attendees :) ) Pepsi gave each of the ~50 people who attended a goodie bag which contained some advertisements and a few coupons for free Pepsi products. Speaking of which, I still have about 12 free 24-pack coupons to use.

Posted Image

[Software Engineer] - [Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

qeltar
[ Display Name History ]

qeltar

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

Would you take a $120,000.00+ loss in revenue from your ads and membership fees in order to thank your RuneScoop members?

If I were making $25,000,000+ a year off my members? Absolutely I would.

That's what most companies do when they are fabulously successful. They give a little bit back.

It's no different than a businessperson taking out clients to a dinner or sending them a nice Christmas gift -- they don't generally include the bill and expect the client to cover the cost.

Heck, I've been using Google AdSense for years and Google sends me a gift every Christmas. Likely to thousands of other people/companies too. It doesn't come with a price tag attached or postage due.

Jagex claimed that this was about thanking their customers. It is more like they are throwing *themselves* a party and having their customers pay for it.

Luckily for them, people will line up to not only go along with it, but defend the behavior. And that's why companies these days pretty much do whatever they want.

ETA: There is one place where Jagex is very generous and deserves credit: F2P. They give people a nice, free game with no time limits. But otherwise, the company is remarkably stingy.
Posted Image

Earth_Poet
[ Display Name History ]

Earth_Poet

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Earth Poet

1. No, it's not reasonable for people to "whine" that they can't attend an event in a different country. But that's exactly why it should have had an online component to it, even if a minimal one, to help the community all feel involved. This was a totally missed opportunity.

2. The cost of the food and drink etc. does not justify the high ticket price of this event. This was supposed to be an event to thank customers -- you don't thank people by inviting them to a party and then making them pay for it. Add to that the fact that Jagex is an exceedingly wealthy company, and most of their customers are poor students, and it's just that much worse.

Not to mention how classy it is to start selling tickets before they told people when and where it was. I see they got a date now. Still no exact location. Maybe it will be a "surprise"?
Posted Image

Yahadoz
[ Display Name History ]

Yahadoz

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 38 posts
Great articles! :)

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,492 posts

Would you take a $120,000.00+ loss in revenue from your ads and membership fees in order to thank your RuneScoop members?

If I were making $25,000,000+ a year off my members? Absolutely I would.

That's what most companies do when they are fabulously successful. They give a little bit back.

It's no different than a businessperson taking out clients to a dinner or sending them a nice Christmas gift -- they don't generally include the bill and expect the client to cover the cost.

Heck, I've been using Google AdSense for years and Google sends me a gift every Christmas. Likely to thousands of other people/companies too. It doesn't come with a price tag attached or postage due.

Jagex claimed that this was about thanking their customers. It is more like they are throwing *themselves* a party and having their customers pay for it.

Luckily for them, people will line up to not only go along with it, but defend the behavior. And that's why companies these days pretty much do whatever they want.

ETA: There is one place where Jagex is very generous and deserves credit: F2P. They give people a nice, free game with no time limits. But otherwise, the company is remarkably stingy.

I think your asking a lot. Yes its a thank you thing i guess but that is a lot of money to throw away.

If i was in charge i would like to at least break even as well.

Even the much larger company Blizzard doesnt have a cheap convention. Their tickets are priced at $150

http://finance.yahoo...8.html?x=0&.v=1

ForsakenMage
[ Display Name History ]

ForsakenMage

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 6,856 posts
  • RSN:ForsakenMage
  • RSN2:Pengew Ami
  • Clan:EoE

I thought it was open for all age groups but they said there is alcohol available for over 18's.

Is RuneFest suitable for children?
No. Alcohol will be available at this event, for which proof of age will be required. Because of this, the event will only be suitable for our adult fans.

It's a bit vague, which is why I assumed 18+.

Not to mention how classy it is to start selling tickets before they told people when and where it was. I see they got a date now. Still no exact location. Maybe it will be a "surprise"?

27.04.10 - Ticket Info
Today, we’re extremely excited to announce that RuneFest 2010 tickets for those who have registered on the RuneFest website will be on sale from 10:00am (BST) on Friday, April 30th. Tickets will then be available on general release the following day (Saturday, May 1st) at 10:00am (BST). The event opens on Saturday 28th August, running from 9:30am to 7:00pm. Tickets will be priced at £75 each.

Doesn't sound like they were selling it before the event date was announced. They announced the event but were not selling tickets before they finalized the date. Their ticket sales are done through TicketMaster, and as far as I know they need a date and time before they can even sell a single ticket.

Aiel
[ Display Name History ]

Aiel

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,104 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Aielman
  • Clan:Collam Daan

Is RuneFest suitable for children?
No. Alcohol will be available at this event, for which proof of age will be required. Because of this, the event will only be suitable for our adult fans.

It's a bit vague, which is why I assumed 18+.

I believe in one of the Q&As they said 16+

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

jcrowley1985
[ Display Name History ]

jcrowley1985

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 30 posts
Don't forget Jagex's hipocritical Flagstaff of Real World Trade (I mean Festivities). It goes against their feelings towards the Dec 2007 updates completely.

ArtemisCatal
[ Display Name History ]

ArtemisCatal

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • RSN:ArtemisCatal

Don't forget Jagex's hipocritical Flagstaff of Real World Trade (I mean Festivities). It goes against their feelings towards the Dec 2007 updates completely.

Well, I more see it as the "look what money got me" staff, but yeah, this soured this for me more than anything else. Thanks Jagex for putting an item in game that remindes me every time I see it what RL money will get you. I really thought you were commited to not allowing that. I don't begrudge anyone going, or all the cool stuff they are getting at runefest, but I do feel bitter over this in game item.

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,492 posts

Well, I more see it as the "look what money got me" staff, but yeah, this soured this for me more than anything else. Thanks Jagex for putting an item in game that remindes me every time I see it what RL money will get you. I really thought you were commited to not allowing that. I don't begrudge anyone going, or all the cool stuff they are getting at runefest, but I do feel bitter over this in game item.

I dont see why anyone is so mad.

I pity anyone who got the flagstaff, anywhere they go with it someone is going to make fun of them.
that or worship them like its a party hat

A0z9
[ Display Name History ]

A0z9

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:La Vallett1
  • RSN2:La Vallett3
  • Clan:The Scrying Pool
Umm, let's put the flagstaff out of the way and talk about something else. The 2nd article was very good.
La Vallett1

A.k.a. "Nostalgic Vallett"

What's been said must be done.

zhong881209
[ Display Name History ]

zhong881209

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:zhong881209
it is nice to have a look of the classic after so long time. my first MMORPG is a not bad experience for me that time.
I remember that i get my dial-up internet at ages 12, where at the same time i introduced Neopets, and not long later RuneScape by my cousin.
I think that time my PC spec is 266mhz and 16mb ram, 1 year later where a pc at my grandfather house is having spec of 533mhz and 64mb ram. and until now i still struggle a bit with slow pc of 1.6ghz single core.
that time i struggle with both pc and internet lag, so most of the time i only killing cows at lumbridge, gather its hides and cook meat, get lvl to enter cooking guild, start mining coal at barbarian village then get rune pickaxe and etc.
i seldom play runescape that time, since i like to play it nice and slow and only play on free time. i remember when changes from RS classic to RS, i was wondering i should transfer my items back to classic to play or continue play RS. it was a nice experience, but too bad i rarely play classic since then, and totally pause runescape for almost one year because of study at collage, when i come back, i can no longer enter classic. i regret that i never get any of the rares that release back that time, else i would be wearing them and have good wealthy bank.

calcarb
[ Display Name History ]

calcarb

X-TET

• Members
  • 1,181 posts
  • RSN:Calcarb
  • Clan:Secure Haven

I dont see why anyone is so mad.

I pity anyone who got the flagstaff, anywhere they go with it someone is going to make fun of them.
that or worship them like its a party hat

The flagstaff of festivities is nothing more or nothing less than an advert for the Runefest. Look how it got you all talking about it. Same with not announcing the venue. The more we talk about it the more advertising they get.

Oh btw yes I have my flagstaff, and am combining my visit to Runefest with a family holiday in Englands capital city.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users