Banned xbox commercial

Ryan

America banned that? For God's sake...liven up. I thought Britain was a nanny state, this is just ridiculous.

America wants to ban adverts which are clearly a mimicary kind of humour, not even a black comedy, on guns...yet you still sell them freely?

Gimme a break.

As clarified on page one, this commerical was not banned. That was a rumor that started when Microsoft leaked the commercial and then decided not to air it because they thought it might be controversial. It was there own decision to not release the video on public television.

^^That's a pretty clever move for Microsoft, if you think about it. They've decided that it's just a little too suggestive for a regular TV audience, so they don't put it up. However, they leak on the internet. Not only do people spread it around for them at no charge, but it also targets exactly the group of people that will buy xbox. And the rumor that it was banned makes it even more effective. It's better advertising for free :shock:

It's a type of advertising called 'viral' advertising. Because the internet isn't monitored in the way TV is, it allows advertisers a free reign to explore their ideas. I'm sure if you check Kontraband, this ad will be there.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all a marketing scheme, people go crazy and show all their friends "OMG SUPER BANNEDED XBOX AD OMG LOOK!!!" :wink:

As I said, Viral Internet Ads. Remember those 'StreetKa, the Ka's evil twin' ads? Where the car would do evil things like kill birds/cats? Similar concept, except not as evil.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

haha! that really was great, but i could definitely see why the fcc (and their foreign counterparts, if any) would freak when they'd see that on the air. still great, nonetheless.

proud quest cape owner

here's my first post on the TIF (scroll to the bottom)

feel free to pm me, but do make sure that i know you're a Tip.It user (in other words, give me a HYT)

signatureTIF.jpg

It does add to the sterotype that most games aare violent, but still a great add. I like the look on the guy in the suit when he pulls on gun on one of first 3 people. The camera pans over to him and his facial expression is like "I don't know why I'm doing this... but I am and now there's a gun to your head" :D

Good times.

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

I think it would've been better, and funnier, if they had used nerf guns or dart guns or something. It gives the same general feel without the implied lethal violence and adds more to the humor.

To me, id think that worse then using hands as guns, cause your still actuly holding somehting that represents a gun... There fore making it even more realistic then the hands...

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

that was the first thing out of microsoft to be funney (blue screens/err messages arnt).

i am getting sick of all the people that say games make kids into killers.

doj_chart_1.gif

acourding to the FBI crime rate has reached a 40 year low in 2004.

note that there is a almost 2 year long gap between the ps1 and the decline

huh..

nice start to the forum. your first post was very well thought out, and provided a lot of information on how you feel about this particular subject. not only that, the referal link in your sig makes you look very dignified, like you are a buisness man who knows how to make money.

my joke started off ok, but i couldnt think of anything and it went down hill :(

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

This topic has been talked about so much, not the commercial but Violence, Sex, and Drugs are all over our media. No point really trying to deny it :roll:

I don't understand what point you're trying to get across. Sure it has gone on a tangent, what's wrong with that? And as for media these days it's pretty obvious if you go compare The OC to The Andy Griffith Show, which hardly needs commenting ;)

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

Guest GhostRanger

This topic has been talked about so much, not the commercial but Violence, Sex, and Drugs are all over our media. No point really trying to deny it :roll:

I don't understand what point you're trying to get across. Sure it has gone on a tangent, what's wrong with that? And as for media these days it's pretty obvious if you go compare The OC to The Andy Griffith Show, which hardly needs commenting ;)

And then compare The Andy Griffith Show to the ongoings in the Roman Empire...its a continuous circle... :P

Guest Nezikchened

In my opinion the commercial was awesome!

But the reason for it being banned, if it was because of if the "weapons" were real it would have been too... something... then I wonder... Just why do they show movies, they have "real" weapons.

And if people start talking about the limitations then why do they show TV- commercials with some scenes. Just dumb that it is banned...

Am I the only one who thought it was...kind of lame?

You are not only person. I would be said this advert is no best advert ever but just "good". People sound like act to cool by hand-gun point at people. I kindly don't like this advert. It's not means I'm playstation fan but it might annoying if I re-watch it for a few times. Other adverts still better than it. :?

I don't really care if this advert don't allow show on public television but Microsoft's decision to do like that.