Waterfiend Guide - Corrections & Comments

It'a a good guide but maybe lacks a bit of highest level touch and perhaps include something about slayer tasks. For the higest end, i'd reccomend using berserker ring(or the (i) version if you have brains of steel) as strength bonus seems more important there, as does saradomin sword award higher dps for those with extremes/turmoil. For CT waterfiends, it's actually more relaxing to use overloads and teamed with super prayers you can stay there up to 2 hours with a good inventory setup. Do remember that waterfiends are mage based and wil even dismantle your steel titan in around 28 minutes time. For the little extra bit more, if you can afford them, dragon claws specs actually work great against them as a special weapon, usually yielding in around 600 damage each, which teamed with restore specials(assuming you have the inventory spaces) can shave another 1-3 minutes off your task or add another 3-10 crimson to your hourly rate.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

The no-prayer inventory seems dumb to me, because you ALWAYS use prayer there; and because you always use prayer, Nomads Cape > every other cape. Even Fire Cape imo.

Also, I think it'd be nicer to have inventory setups without extremes. Most people can't use those. And people who use extremes should be smart enough to realize that Extreme Attack Potion > Super Attack Potion.

Also, you say that the SS is inferior to the ZS; from what I've heard the SS is ever so slightly better. Although the ZS is cheaper.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

The no-prayer inventory seems dumb to me, because you ALWAYS use prayer there; and because you always use prayer, Nomads Cape > every other cape. Even Fire Cape imo.

Also, I think it'd be nicer to have inventory setups without extremes. Most people can't use those. And people who use extremes should be smart enough to realize that Extreme Attack Potion > Super Attack Potion.

Also, you say that the SS is inferior to the ZS; from what I've heard the SS is ever so slightly better. Although the ZS is cheaper.

I have to disagree about always using prayer at waterfiends. I have camped waterfiends many times without using prayer. I see other people there not using prayer as well.

However, for people who will be using prayer, then yes, Soul Wars cape is probably the best option.

Tonguetamer3.png

Runescape: Winter 2002/2003 - May 2011

Quote: "Safespot

The trick to killing Waterfiends without taking damage is to trap them behind something and stand far enough away, that they cannot attack; this is easy to do because their attack ranged is vert short. Using safespots is only feasible in the Ancient Cavern, and there are safespots in both east and west areas."

This is under the range area. Instead of "vert", it should be "very".

[Crew edit:] Thanks, I've fixed this - TheLeonardo

In part because I'm cheap, I use Barrelchest Anchor. Even though it's slow, it has better crush and strength bonuses than some of the other 2H options. It might be worth including in that list.

I also don't really use prayer. I usually bank and restock using the fairy ring after each unicorn. It only takes 15 seconds and you get to keep more drops. The only downside is you have to deal with them being aggressive again, which is kind of a minor annoyance.

o_knames.png

Maxed total levels

Remaining for Completionist Cape: Livid Farm spell (Borrowed Power)

I think you should add that taking nats + fire staff/fire runes to alch drops like addy chains, rune meds and mith full helms is worthwhile. Especially when not praying. It can save you a load of inventory space in the end. Also, waterfiends, at least the ones in the ancient caverns, tend to drop me ranarr seeds, which should be added to the stackable worthwhile drops list.

And I'd argue that the saradomin sword is the best choice for waterfiends due to it's strength bonus compared to the mere 5 crush difference. I don't like it being called a 'good second choice' , if anything the zamorakian spear should be.

I'd also like to mention that it would be nice, especially for unexperience players to actually know what the items in the setup pics are, I think a lot of the newbie questers out there have no idea that the helmet shown in the black dragonhide setup picture is the dwarven helmet from a quest. Give all the armour pieces suggested a name to let users know what they're actually looking at.

I disagree with the no prayer comment, I never use prayer on my tasks there, I just tank it with a pony. Take a lob or two to get through their aggressive period.

I agree with the extremes and the SS > ZS comments. As I have explained above.

Snip

I choose to make all my setup pictures with a dragonstone (i) because I do not yet have 300 MA rank :wall: and I still prefer it over berserker, warrior or seers (i) because it has all around bonuses. And for the Onyx (i), it's protects over to many items on death (not that it's a big issue) and it's very expensive. But once I have 300 MA rank, I'll probably change the pictures to have the Onyx.

As for Overloads and Super prayers - I would love to have a high level inventory picture, but I sadly cannot make overloads. If you wanted to take a screenshot of an invo with overloads and super prayers, I will gladly add it to the guide. :D (please make it .png format)

Good guide, but misses a Verac section.

I haven't done any testing with Veracs; how does it compare to dharoks, z spear or at chaos tunnels?

snip

The majority of people I see these days (all of them being higher level) do not use prayer; or just no protection prayers. With 90+ defense, the appropriate armor, a SGS or EE special and a heal good healing familiar, it's easy to tank waterfiends.

I chose to use extremes for the same reason I chose to use karils over d'hide in most of the pictures.

As for the Z spear / Sara sword debate, I actually use the two of them quite a bit (ss for str training and z spear for slayer tasks) and I found it depends on the situation for which is better. So I may consider changing the wording for the sara sword and make it more of an equal to the z spear.

snip

I really don't like the Anchor, but because the content in the guide should be based on popularity and not my opinion, I'll add it. :P

snip

Thank you for reminding me about alching, I will add that in the tips section. :thumbup:

I thought about adding names, but I didn't want to clutter up the guide. But I will add them, because it will only help.

As for all the positive comments, Thank you very much :D

bike.png

Suggest a poll for Tip.it - Here!

There ya go:

waterfiendsr.png

Should be the max equipment apart from berserker(i), which i refuse to get.

Some notes on that...

reqs: iron titan or steel titan, no other familiars are worth it. Obviously 96 herblore for overloads, super prayers, 95 prayer for turmoil, soul split, prefrebly maxed melee, but 95s across the board would do.

For the first ~12 minutes the waterfiends are agressive, which means you could have up to 6 of them attacking you at any time, so soul split is a must. As you can see, there isn't too much room for error for the inv, but experience shows not much is needed anyway. For first 12 minutes(while they are agressive) keep soul split on at all times, after that you can heal the overload damage with soul split and flash it again when your hp get's to around 600, but they don't hit that much from that point on. The extra familiars are for when one of them dies, and trust me, they will. The battleplan is to fight one waterfiend yourself while letting the titan attack another while using as many scrolls as possible. This should yield around 200 crimsons an hour, which apart from having a slayer task for them, is the best you can get with only melee.

The prep(at bank) for this inv is one dose super antifire and having a steel titan summoned, and the inv should last for around 2 hours, capitalizing most on the nonagressive stage. The alternative is to yak the first 12 minutes and then use steel titan, but it's much more of a hassle.

I'm not absolutely sure if this is true, but I've always heard that their range attack is "magic based ranged", just like a bloodveld has a magic based melee.

This explains why wearing armor with a high range defense and praying magic doesn't work. The range attack isn't necessarily more accurate, it just cuts through regular melee armor because of the magic component.

I think this guide kind off ignores the fact that these can be recieved as tasks from Kuradal and Durael by people who are nowhere near the level or wealth to buy /use the suggested set-ups.

What kind of setup would you like to see?

bike.png

I think this guide kind off ignores the fact that these can be recieved as tasks from Kuradal and Durael by people who are nowhere near the level or wealth to buy /use the suggested set-ups.

To be honest, this is quite the opposite of what i learned from the guide(apart from mentioning slayer tasks, which would be helpful perhaps). Most of the setups are meant for the average slayer assuming you can see past the extreme potions and replace them with supers(which shouldn't be too hard to imagine). Waterfiends really aren't a welfare monster to kill as they use 2 different attack styles which can do a great deal of damage, and unless you have a unicorn, you will have to atleast use food/prayer/bunyips or a combination of those. Also, unless you can get ss/zs/gs, i wouldn't bother with them at all as a slayer task(as you are giving up alot against a much stronger monster than their combat level would suggest).

Small typo in the second paragraph of the Dharoks section.

The key to staying alive is to use the Protect from ranged prayer. The reason being, even when having a much higher ranged defense than magic, waterfiends ranged attack is much more accurate and they use it far more often, therefore you would take more damage if praying protact from magic. ;)

Guitar_by_Lemeja123.jpg

It's also should be said that noted seaweed drops are worth picking up as well. At current prices seaweed dropped by Waterfiends is about 628gp each (and drops are 14-39 noted therefore 8.8k to 25k per) :thumbup:

Retired Crew Member | Retired RuneScape Player

It's also should be said that noted seaweed drops are worth picking up as well. At current prices seaweed dropped by Waterfiends is about 628gp each (and drops are 14-39 noted therefore 8.8k to 25k per) :thumbup:

Added, thanks for the suggestion.

I've also added a "cheap" setup in the alternate setups section. And added names for items used for all the setups (other than the chaos tunnels setup).

:thumbsup:

bike.png

Spelled "because" wrong in the chaos tunnels mini section.

I'm on itouch so it's hard to maneuver around but I believe it

was where it said it doesn't matter if you eat all your rocktails.

Manitstinks.gif

lolud0.pnglol2ni3.png