Strength is highly overvalued

Logdotzip

Yes I know this topic has been made before, but I really don't care to hear it. Almost every topic ever made is a repeat of an older thought process.

I was thinking to myself just a few minutes ago why a ring (berserker) that gives +4 to strength is valued at 4 - 6m, and why an additional +4 strength is valued at 30 - 35 hours (Imbuing the berserker ring)... And yet a warrior ring is under 500k, last I checked. I would mention Bandos too, but it gives very adequate defense and prayer bonus as well. Plus it's hot. But for the rings, and for other items...I really don't understand it. Sure it's nice to see high hits and everything, but come on now..

I have always preferred the idea of accuracy. Obviously, RuneScape is based a lot on luck, and "rolls", but in the same sense, the higher your accuracy bonus, the more likely the roll is in your favor. Don't you WANT to hit more consistently?

I've always had the mindset of:

I would rather hit 500-500, over 530-290.

Of course I don't know exactly how the hits system works and how hits are determined to the dot, but I figure wouldn't focusing on accuracy, and attack, be a little more beneficial? On tasks where I am not in Kuradal's dungeon, I wear my Onyx(i) over a Berserker ring, and sometimes I get lol'd at for it. But I really see a difference in speed. It's not as big of a deal on low defense slayer monster, but even places like bosses, I know people who will wear a berserker instead of an accuracy boosting ring.

Which do you do?

Also unrelated, but another thought that pierced my mind; What if strength amulets (+10 str boost), weren't made with rubies, but were instead a boss drop, like a berserker ring? What do you think they would be priced at?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally I always go for more accuracy because being mostly a range tank my attack level and str levels are both low. So I always need the extra accuracy

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

"choosing your path is the true trial", "the most honorable dilemma"

I used to care about f2p pking, where str was all that mattered most of the time, but after that went down the drain, I stopped caring. I leveled about 2 strength levels in the 3 years probably.

Staurolite.png

Based on what I've seen over the years, strength bonus is mainly valued for powertraining, and that is done on low defence monsters, where accuracy isn't a huge deal. I do however agree about accuracy being important. I was one of those players that always wore a warrior ring on slayer tasks and the like.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

All depends on the context.

I generally won't use a Zerker. But I keep a warrior for certain tasks where I need the extra hits, or if I'm in CW or something similar.

But obviously in Kuradal's dungeon I use the fero ring every time.

I agree with you though, I'd rather see 500-500 than one higher hit and a substantially lower hit. But some people just like seeing bigger hits, some people believe it's good for training in certain situations. I've never really seen why there's such a fuss between the two.

Duckie_Wins.png

I personally use a Z Spear at gargoyles on Crush, because of it's high accuracy, I find myself constantly 2 - 3 hitting the Gargoyles, and always outperforming someone with an SS and the exact same gear.

But that's because I don't have a rapier or CLS yet

It's a general rule of thumb that strength boosting equipment is better to use when your accuracy is near 100%. Because the zerker ring is the best strength-boosting ring, it has the highest price tag (in Runescape, the best item of any class is always relatively expensive). In a slayer situation, for example, a zerker is always better to use when you're using turmoil, extremes, and a rapier + rune defender.

In conclusion, zerker rings are better for high level players in low-defense mhing situations. Accuracy boosting rings would be preferable otherwise, of course.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

[bleep], i wrote a nice chunk of theorycrafting then realized that all i said is basically

'hitting is better than missing'

[hide]as far as i understand it - there's two 'rolls' - a roll to see 'if' you hit, and a roll to see how hard you hit. attack level and bonus alongside enemy defence and weakness makes up the first roll, and strength level + bonus makes up the second roll

so instead of saying 'id prefer hitting a 500+500 instead of a 530+290' a better example would be 'id prefer hitting a 500+500 than hitting an 800+0'

stacking reasonable atk bonus instead of str therefore can give you more dps, but less burst

in pvp and situations where you're competing with other players for most damage done on a small healthbar [aka green dragons etc] - id rather stack str for burst - but normally in these situations your targets will have a comparatively low def anyway

but for sustained solo damage, get as accurate as you can without gimping your hits

in wow getting hitcapped is pretty much one of the first steps for gearing any toon[/hide]

see^

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

I hate how you used the 500-500 to 530-260 thing. You hit with both hits. It should be 500-500 against 530-530.

Anyways....

I'd rather have a 137 stab bonus with a 151/148 strength bonus then a 142/143 Stab bonus with a 143/140 strength bonus, seeing as 137 is far more then enough for nearly everything.

Edit: Or a 148/149/154 Stab bonus with a 139/136/133 Strength bonus. Same reason.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

I hate how you used the 500-500 to 530-260 thing. You hit with both hits. It should be 500-500 against 530-530.

Anyways....

I'd rather have a 137 stab bonus with a 151/148 strength bonus then a 142/143 Stab bonus with a 143/140 strength bonus, seeing as 137 is far more then enough for nearly everything.

Edit: Or a 148/149/154 Stab bonus with a 139/136/133 Strength bonus. Same reason.

You're more likely to hit on accurate mode with higher accuracy bonus than on strength mode with higher strength bonus, therefore you are more likely to hit 500-500 in terms of accuracy, in general, then you are going to hit 530, or hell, even 600-x in any other mode. So my example is reasonably fair. You don't always hit with both hits, but having higher accuracy gives you a better chance to.

Anyways....

You're more likely to hit on accurate mode with higher accuracy bonus than on strength mode with higher strength bonus, therefore you are more likely to hit 500-500 in terms of accuracy, in general, then you are going to hit 530, or hell, even 600-x in any other mode. So my example is reasonably fair. You don't always hit with both hits, but having higher accuracy gives you a better chance to.

You miss what I say: The roll of if you hit or not, in your example, has already passed and been shown as true. Your example is not fair in that you could have just as easily hit 1-1 as 500-500, or 0-0 and 530-530.

And I won't even refute the second part of your post, as it should be obvious how wrong it is. Well, less wrong, and more HURRDURR.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Anyways....

You miss what I say: The roll of if you hit or not, in your example, has already passed and been shown as true. Your example is not fair in that you could have just as easily hit 1-1 as 500-500, or 0-0 and 530-530.

And I won't even refute the second part of your post, as it should be obvious how wrong it is. Well, less wrong, and more HURRDURR.

And you obviously miss my point, here, let me try to make it without making myself out to be a cocky [puncture] like you have.

Let's just for the sake of things, oversimplify the roll system. For the first hit, you need 140 stab to deal any damage at all. Wearing either a berserker or a stab increasing ring, the player still has 150 stab in both scenarios. Wearing the berserker, he hits 652 damage. Wearing the Onyx, he hits 592 damage.

Now for the second hit, you need 154 stab for the hit to connect and deal damage. Wearing the berserker, you don't meet that requirement. You smack a zero. Wearing that Onyx, you meet the requirement, and hit 474.

Let's see if you can get it without HURRDURRing too much.

And you obviously miss my point, here, let me try to make it without making myself out to be a cocky [puncture] like you have.

Let's just for the sake of things, oversimplify the roll system. For the first hit, you need 140 stab to deal any damage at all. Wearing either a berserker or a stab increasing ring, the player still has 150 stab in both scenarios. Wearing the berserker, he hits 652 damage. Wearing the Onyx, he hits 592 damage.

Now for the second hit, you need 154 stab for the hit to connect and deal damage. Wearing the berserker, you don't meet that requirement. You smack a zero. Wearing that Onyx, you meet the requirement, and hit 474.

I like what Darkdude said under this post more then my own, so... ya.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Which is what he was saying and you were NOT saying in your original post which is what he was pointing out.

It's a general rule of thumb that strength boosting equipment is better to use when your accuracy is near 100%. Because the zerker ring is the best strength-boosting ring, it has the highest price tag (in Runescape, the best item of any class is always relatively expensive). In a slayer situation, for example, a zerker is always better to use when you're using turmoil, extremes, and a rapier + rune defender.

In conclusion, zerker rings are better for high level players in low-defense mhing situations. Accuracy boosting rings would be preferable otherwise, of course.

*Barring a task inside Kuradel's dungeon in which Ferocious Ring is assuredly better than the Berserker Ring